Speakers blown and rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yup after a few days of rattling i brought my 09 tech to the dealer and sure enough the front passenger side door speaker blew...under waaranty obviously but still a hassle for a brand new car i just bought 3 months ago
Old 12-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front passenger speaking giving me a humming/feedback/scratching noise. You can hear it really well on the AM band, don't notice it on FM or CD/AUX/HD.

Wierd but its going in tomorrow - will update.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Instructor

I got a new speaker installed and it sounds great again...but the guys in service screwed something up and something inside my door is rattling now which sounds even worse than my blown speaker, they must have messed something up reinstalling the door panel so Ill be heading back to the dealer...again.
Does anyone know at what point the lemon law comes into play with these types of problems? Someone wrote earlier they replaced their speaker 6 or 7 times so far, thats just outrageous!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Racer

Speaker has been ordered - I guess instead of keeping my car and giving me a loaner they told me to come back once the speaker is in and said it would take about 1 Hour to replace.

I hope this fixes the issue.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBunks
I got a new speaker installed and it sounds great again...but the guys in service screwed something up and something inside my door is rattling now which sounds even worse than my blown speaker, they must have messed something up reinstalling the door panel so Ill be heading back to the dealer...again.
Does anyone know at what point the lemon law comes into play with these types of problems? Someone wrote earlier they replaced their speaker 6 or 7 times so far, thats just outrageous!
I could be wrong, but I think the Lemon Law only pertains to issues that effect the driving/mechanics/safety of the vehicle, and even then they have up to 3 times to fix/3 issues. I am pretty sure that it varies from state to state, though.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:43 PM
5th Gear

Had both front door speakers replaced on an 09 TL. Passenger side went out first, then the driver side. It was the most noticeable with voice (male voice, talk radio was the worst).

The dealer's first question was related to the tint (I had installed) and possible bad radio reception. After we got past that, I used hdd based audio to demo the problem.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone have rattles under/behind the dashboard (primarily behind the wheel)???

My dad bought a TL after I got mine, and his is rattling louder and louder, and now mine is starting to do the samething. I got my car in June, and my dad got his in July.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had zero dash rattle/noises. Knock on wood! Make sure it's not something in the glove box, center storage, or eyeglass holder.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Advanced

ive checked EVERYTHING, except for under the dash (since i dont feel like tearing out the interior). my dad's tl has the same rattle, except way louder.... so odd...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
i have a rattle that is on the steering wheel. its the left top area of the actual horn/airbag. anyone else?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Racer

I started hearing a slight rattle too, played around with many areas while driving but can't figure it out. I think it may be in the dash area as well.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Racer

A slightly related question - I am going Friday morning to get a ceramic tint done on my car at 9am and then actually had scheduled to get my speaker replaced at 2pm, do you guys think its a bad idea that when they take the panel off they may touch or move or do something to a fresh tint or would it be ok?

my other option is to move it to monday instead of friday - I think 3 days would be enough?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Advanced

i would say wait for 3 days... but thats just me... im sure the tint should under warranty anyways, so if it bubbles up a bit, just get it redone.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 PM
7th Gear

Talking

Originally Posted by chiu0nthls
all windows closed, no music on. just the road, me, and the dang faint rattle. freaking... been to the dealership so many times since i bought this car, i should have my own desk and clock in!
Had an 09 TSX that had a rattle that drove me crazy. After a lot of frustration looking, listening, and just plainly being ticked with it, I dropped down the sunglass box overhead to put on my glasses and the sound went away. Closed the box without the glasses in it and the sound wasn't there anymore. My sunglasses were vibrating overhead!

Traded TSX for 09 TL. Had a rattle with music, turned out the driver door speaker was blown. Dealer replaced it under warranty, all was perfect until I turned off the radio and the rattle came back. For a moment I was ticked again until it came back to me that I had placed my sunglasses in the overhead compartment when I was moving my stuff from the TSX to the TL, and sure enough it was my sunglasses again.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, and not only that, the sunglass rattle sometimes sounds like elsewhere in the car!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Racer

Anyone else have a problem with their center channel? I really think mine is blown. Turned it all the way down in audio settings so I don't have to hear it until the navi starts talking. I'm really thinking of upgrading my factory speakers. Anyone else tried this?
Old 01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Racer

Got my Passenger speaker replaced and theres a rattle in the passenger door handle now. Looks like when they took the panel off they broke something and now it literally rattles and moves if you touch inside the handle area.

Going in on Wednesday to get it looked at it and fixed BUT seriously, why do you have to go get 1 thing fixed and get somethign else broken!!! Geezzz!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Advanced

I think my rear deck speaker may be blown (Non-Tech). I turned the fade all the way to the rear and all i can hear is the sub and a bit of voice. It sounds as if a blanket was over the speakers. Has anyone had issues with their rear deck speakers blowing?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by SSGHutch
Anyone else have a problem with their center channel? I really think mine is blown. Turned it all the way down in audio settings so I don't have to hear it until the navi starts talking. I'm really thinking of upgrading my factory speakers. Anyone else tried this?
I have an '09 TSX Tech but I need to chime in here also:

Yes, I am having issues w/ my center channel speaker now. I have had all 4 door speakers replaced, my center channel speaker acts up (i.e. sounds blown and "tinny" at times) and now BOTH of my tweeters are acting up (they sound very "rattle-y" during certain songs, and downright horrible w/ the HFL and when someone is talking; I sometimes wonder if it isn't the plastic around them vibrating vs. the tweeters going bad).

ALSO, my XM module went bad (this was discovered when the Note Feature would not work) and now that needs to be replaced, and they think that they may need to replace the whole head unit now. This week marked my year anniversary w/ the car. VERY DISAPPOINTED...

wmahmud, I feel your pain and every single time my car needs "surgery", I wonder what the heck else is going to go wrong...or that they won't fix right the first time. I had to take my car back TWICE for the same speakers before they were replaced correctly, and a few weeks later is when the XM module issue was discovered. UGH!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Racer

This is just my two cents, but, I've always had problems with panasonic speakers in the past and i have to question why acura would use panasonic in their premium sound systems. I love the setup when it works properly and it's a superb factory setup. However, even entry model aftermarket speakers will almost always outperform even the best factory setups. Looks like I'm going to upgrade my speakers and amps after all.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 PM
3rd Gear

i have the same problem passenger front mid speaker. I havent had time to bring it in yet though.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Eli
Instructor

I get some kinda chirping noise (like a smoke detector) from one of the front passenger speakers, it only happens when playing a couple of songs, but it didn't do it before. Not sure if the speaker is broken or what.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Eli
I get some kinda chirping noise (like a smoke detector) from one of the front passenger speakers, it only happens when playing a couple of songs, but it didn't do it before. Not sure if the speaker is broken or what.
bad speaker wont make any chirping noise. That is probably coming from the unit itself. You might have a bad spot on the disk, or they system is having trouble reading that disk.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Eli
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwest1023
bad speaker wont make any chirping noise. That is probably coming from the unit itself. You might have a bad spot on the disk, or they system is having trouble reading that disk.
Yeah I was thinking that, it's not a bad spot though, it occurs repeatedly in time with the percussion in the song so I thought it might be when it hits a certain frequency. Playing off the HDD which was fine before, but started doing this lately.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 09 TSX Tech. Came here to see if you guys are having the same problem with your speakers and I see you are.

I use the fade and balance to determine which speaker is blown and while doing this the other day I was getting a poping sound everytime the sound transfered from the speaker to speaker. Left to right/right to left.

This usually indicates 'dirty' power.

Anyway this is the sixth speaker I've had replaced.

Acura really needs to pull their heads out if their ass on this.

We on the TSX side feel your pain...
Old 03-03-2010, 02:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just read through all 105 posts, and no one mentioned the possibility of the phone system damaging the speakers? I'm curious how many HFL phone users have damaged speakers? I think there needs to be a stronger low/high cut filter on the phone audio through the audio system, as I feel my blown driver in the front left is because of a phone conversation not a music source.

Any thought on that?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Eli
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I did more investigating, it seems like its an issue with the unit, amplifier, DAC, whatever. I'm playing an mp3 off a USB flash drive, it sounds fine everywhere else. But played in the car it produces a chirping noise in the right channel in time with percussion (both front and rear speakers). I get same behavior if I burn to disc and rip it to the HDD. But the identical file plays fine anywhere outside the car, on computer, etc. Also in general, audio quality seems to have reduced since I got the car, it's really hard for me to quantify it though. Maybe I'm just going crazy.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Eli
I did more investigating, it seems like its an issue with the unit, amplifier, DAC, whatever. I'm playing an mp3 off a USB flash drive, it sounds fine everywhere else. But played in the car it produces a chirping noise in the right channel in time with percussion (both front and rear speakers). I get same behavior if I burn to disc and rip it to the HDD. But the identical file plays fine anywhere outside the car, on computer, etc. Also in general, audio quality seems to have reduced since I got the car, it's really hard for me to quantify it though. Maybe I'm just going crazy.
I have not notice any chirps on my HD, you might have an issue,like you said. Trying to convince a dealer, might not be easy.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
So both of my front speakers blew again. Getting them replaced AGAIN this week.
The service manager said I can't have my music too loud and that could be the fault. Weren't these made to be played? My volume is a mix of 4,6,8 and the bass and treble are towards the top end.

Just frustrated because I now hear occasional rattles from the door panels. I hope it's not due to taking my door apart..
Old 04-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Racer

Replacing all my factory speakers with aftermarket infiniti kappas. I am not changing or adding an amp, ...yet . I will have these installed next week. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Either way, no more cheap factory panasonic ELS speakers blowing in my ride.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Just saw this thread. I'm on my third right front door speaker and my second sub.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seem to be having the same problem which started last week. Every station AM or FM has a hum or static coming from the speakers
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nyyanks81
I seem to be having the same problem which started last week. Every station AM or FM has a hum or static coming from the speakers
What about XM? I'm assuming you are getting the same problem with XM too?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem with my 09 TL Tech package. I started noticing it with my left front door speakers and it is only on certain music. It is annoying. I tried to pound on my door panel and see if there is anything lose inside or clips that got loose. So far the problem went away but still needs to find the right song that will do it all the time.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kingmeow
What about XM? I'm assuming you are getting the same problem with XM too?
XM is the same.. its annoying. You hear BOOM BOOM noises mixed with static in the background when music is playing or you are listening to talk radio.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Cruisin'

I just picked up an 09 w/tech a few weeks back and my front passenger speaker started acting up just like the rest. I took it to the dealer last Saturday and they fixed it no quesions. The service associtate even said that they have had so many issues with these speakers that they keep them in stock just for repairs. Fast forward two days to Monday and on my way home the speaker starts to buzz. By the time I get back to my house the speaker is back to a full rattle. This is very frustrating, but I guess it is back to the dealer.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Racer

So I replaced all my factory speakers with aftermarket infinity's. Here are a few pics of what the factory (i.e. garbage) speakers look like. This may shed some light on why they keep blowing.

Name:  DSCN1255.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  69.4 KB
Name:  DSCN1256.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  80.3 KB
Name:  DSCN1257.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  52.9 KB

Old 05-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
I've had my 2010 TL SH-AWD non Tech for just about a week now. Brand new, only have 1,000km on it, and i have the annoying rattle from the rear decklid. Speakers are fine, but it's the sub in the middle of the rear deck lid. When the bass kicks in, it rattles like crazy. Going in on Wednesday for them to fix. Not sure how, but they said it will be fixed. The only complaint i have about this car, is the stereo is not all that i expected. My 06 Altima SE-R had the Bose 8 speaker system, that sounded alot better IMO.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
As SSGHutch mentioned earlier, the OEM speakers are really cheap and mostly made of plastic. The best way for fix the rattle on your rear deck is to have them put in dynamat or a similar material.

I ended up replacing the OEM speakers, removing the subwoofer and adding an 12" JL sub and 2 JL amps. My system sounds a lot better and louder.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
Just saw this thread. I'm on my third right front door speaker and my second sub.
just saw thread too. My right front door speaker buzzes at times. More so when the temperature is cooler (why is that?)

Quick Reply: Speakers blown and rattle