Sound cut out & came back on after restarting engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sound cut out & came back on after restarting engine

So today I updated the Gracenote database in my 2012 Advance and then did a little housecleaning and deleted all music off of the HDD. I put a CD in and it started to copy the CD to the HDD and drove off.

While driving, I switched from playing that CD (which was still copying) to XM. There was no sound at all. The head unit was showing the song name. Switched the station, same thing. Obviously checked the volume, nothing. Same thing with FM radio, CD, HDD. Everything is on and supposedly functioning but no sound coming out of the speakers. I pulled over, turned the car off, restarted and everything worked as normal.

Has anyone experienced this? I googled this and also searched forums here and found nothing. I never heard any cracking or popping like a fuse blew and it's never happened before. We are getting ready to embark on a 1600 mile round trip this weekend and I don't want to sit in silence!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ckiggins
So today I updated the Gracenote database in my 2012 Advance and then did a little housecleaning and deleted all music off of the HDD. I put a CD in and it started to copy the CD to the HDD and drove off.

While driving, I switched from playing that CD (which was still copying) to XM. There was no sound at all. The head unit was showing the song name. Switched the station, same thing. Obviously checked the volume, nothing. Same thing with FM radio, CD, HDD. Everything is on and supposedly functioning but no sound coming out of the speakers. I pulled over, turned the car off, restarted and everything worked as normal.

Has anyone experienced this? I googled this and also searched forums here and found nothing. I never heard any cracking or popping like a fuse blew and it's never happened before. We are getting ready to embark on a 1600 mile round trip this weekend and I don't want to sit in silence!

I recently experienced this similar problem. My radio started to become unresponsive more frequently; sometimes not turning on/off, changing to XM or AUX or anything, no buttons worked. Had to take it to the dealer and they replaced the entire audio unit just yesterday.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I just came back from a 6 hour drive. I had music from the HDD blasting at full (40) volume. After about an hour, the sound started cutting out for about 3 seconds, every 10 seconds or so. The screen showed the music progression advancing, just no sound. Same when I switched over to XM radio. The outside temp was in the high 80º's, nothing in the trunk (plenty of ventilation). I wound up shutting the Navi unit down for 15 minutes, and all was fine after that. I guess it was over-heating?