Rotor sitting unevenly

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017 | 02:16 AM
Intermediate

Rotor sitting unevenly

I just recently did a full brake job and I noticed the rotor is rubbing on the bottom hardware on the caliper mount on my front pass side. I noticed something was a mess when the rotor was gashed up only 5 miles in and then the horrible vibration on the highway. Has anyone else ever had this happen? I just took it apart and no matter how I position it the rubbing still happens. I'm not sure if it's a defective rotor or maybe even my hub is f**ked up, I do remember it was a biatch getting the old rotor off and the dust shield was all bent (ghosts of owners past I assume). Anyone have some insight?
Old 05-01-2017 | 05:26 AM
Drifting

Some pics would really help. In any event, the Rotors should be Flat on the hub and if you rotate the the whole assembly it should move smoothly and without any wobble.
When you removed the retainer screws , did any break? Did you replace any broken screws? Did you clean the hub and make there was no rust or build up on it?
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017 | 06:32 AM

thewop, you're going to have to figure out why it's not sitting flush...perhaps the dust shield is bent in the way? if so, bend back or remove completely....

and without pictures, it'll be VERY hard for us to help you.
Old 05-01-2017 | 07:02 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

My guess... undo the bolts holding the caliper in place and re-install them. Careful to tighten even top and bottom and follow the marks on the bracket that prevent you from installing them wrong. Take a look closely to see that the brackets have "guides" where the bolts touch the bracket and can go flush with the bracket i only one way. Maybe even manually rotate the hub without the disk and caliper on and then with the disk on to see what has gone wrong. Safety first!

PS. other thing that I just thought, it makes a difference where the pins go, don't by mistake install the one that goes on the top to the bottom. Look at the diagrams at parts sites to see that the top pin is different from the bottom one. The one with the grooves is suppose to go to the bottom and the one without goes to the top, thats for the front brakes. For the rears its the opposite (the pin with the grooves goes to the top).

Last edited by Tonyware; 05-01-2017 at 07:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-01-2017)
Old 05-17-2017 | 08:57 PM
Advanced

TheWop did you ever figure it out?

By the way does anybody know the importance of the screws holding the rotors? I just removed my rotor today and it was impossible to screw them out, I tried whacking them with an impact driver for like an hour, which didn't work, then ended up drilling them out and didn't have any replacements so I put the rotor back on without them. Seems the pads hold the rotor securely in place until you can get the wheel on. Am I correct in assuming those screws are not important? I only did one rotor, now it's night so I'm gonna do the other 3 tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2017 | 04:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dejan
TheWop did you ever figure it out?

By the way does anybody know the importance of the screws holding the rotors? I just removed my rotor today and it was impossible to screw them out, I tried whacking them with an impact driver for like an hour, which didn't work, then ended up drilling them out and didn't have any replacements so I put the rotor back on without them. Seems the pads hold the rotor securely in place until you can get the wheel on. Am I correct in assuming those screws are not important? I only did one rotor, now it's night so I'm gonna do the other 3 tomorrow.
Not very important, they are used to help keep the rotor on if you remove the caliper and for assembly line purposes. Leaving them out is fine!