Rattle Video on Youtube 2010 TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010 | 11:18 PM
Instructor

Rattle Video on Youtube 2010 TL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Eai2R-3sw
Old 11-17-2010 | 01:42 AM
Cruisin'

YES! I have the exact same problem at the same location. I brought my car to the dealership earlier last week and the tech heard a rattle near the back window at that same location. I'm planning to bring it back to get it repaired.
Old 11-17-2010 | 07:32 AM
Safety Car

yea, thats no good at all...i would have my car at the dealer asap, if i couldnt first figure it out on my own...i have been know to dig pretty deep into taking shit apart to find a rattle...otherwise, i just turn up the radio...
Old 11-20-2010 | 03:31 PM
Racer

If I had that sound you would be able to also hear me saying FAWKIN CHIT in the background!

Did you try removing your entire back seat and leave it then try driving maybe you can pin point. It kind of sounds like the belt buckle is behind the seat and hitting the body or metal. Probably sure its not that but it sounds like it.
Old 11-20-2010 | 10:37 PM
Cruisin'

Sounds very similar to what I was hearing in my 2010 TL, more of a tapping sound than a rattle sound. Took it to the dealer and they took it for a ride and could hear it and said it was around back seat and the trunk (I really need to pay attention more when the service rep is explaining the problem to me) and that they insulated it. It happened all the time for a few months and was driving me crazy and now it's so quiet and I was so used to the tapping that the quiet is driving me crazy. Sounds like I'm just crazy with or without the tapping sound.
Old 11-20-2010 | 10:42 PM
COTM Coordinator

Sounds like the split seam issue.... mine creaks when I go up my driveway and now when I turn.... annoying as all hell. I just gotta find time to take it to the dealer/.
Old 11-20-2010 | 11:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow that is really annoying. Reminds me of the rattle in a car my grandfather had. Turned out to be a spoon tied to the inside of the door. The salesman wanted to get even with him for being such a prick. Now you know where I get it from.
Old 11-20-2010 | 11:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Wow that is really annoying. Reminds me of the rattle in a car my grandfather had. Turned out to be a spoon tied to the inside of the door. The salesman wanted to get even with him for being such a prick. Now you know where I get it from.
LOL That's crazy.
Old 11-21-2010 | 10:53 AM
Advanced

This noise sounds similar to the one that I experienced coming from the glovebox area in my 07' TSX! I ended up taking it to the dealership, and they insulated the glove box area with felt. That pretty much took care of the issue. I still get the rattle sound once in awhile, but it's not nearly as bad or persistent as it use to be.

Hope you get this problem resolved! I know how annoying it is!
Old 11-21-2010 | 11:16 PM
Racer

After hearing and viewing it again...Sounds like your acura sales man is in the trunk trying to use morse code.
Old 11-21-2010 | 11:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 777mycoolangelo
After hearing and viewing it again...Sounds like your acura sales man is in the trunk trying to use morse code.
LOL This is not my car. I just found it on youtube. I thought it would help people who were trying to describe their rattling issues. I had a rattle on the day I drove home from the dealership and haven't heard it since. Now the whistling sun roof is another issue.
Old 11-22-2010 | 04:48 PM
Cruisin'

Weird, I had the same rattle after a few days with my car and now it's gone...by itself! I now have just under 500 miles on her and I hope it doensn't come back!
Old 12-02-2010 | 09:49 AM
Intermediate

I have the EXACT rattle. Does anyone know what exactly Acura insulates for the fix?
Old 12-06-2010 | 04:26 PM
Intermediate

1400 miles on my new ride and also have the same exact issue. Seems the cold has really made it transparent. Would love to hear what the dealers did the fix the issues for others...
Old 12-08-2010 | 06:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Over 7K notaproblemyet.
Old 12-08-2010 | 11:04 AM
Intermediate

Dealership informed me Acura engineering is aware of issue on 2009-2010 models and is to be contacted if noise is verified by Tech prior to doing any work.I'm bringing it in tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2010 | 07:29 AM
Intermediate

For those of you that have the metallic "tap/clicking" in the rear shelf, Acura Engineering has told the dealerships not to attempt a fix until Engineering is contacted.My vehicle awaits their instructions, or tech rep visit.I have the Engineering request bulletin if anyone wants a copy. One thing I noticed is the "tap/clicking" is non existant when roads are wet or snow covered.I cannot even intentionally create noise (and believe me I tried) over the bumpiest roads in weather conditions like this.Very strange.
Old 12-13-2010 | 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Can you send me a copy? We have been chatting about this on and off via PM.

Now I wonder if we have the same problem! The dealer actually called Acura's Tech Line when they couldn't fix is 3 times.
Old 12-21-2010 | 06:02 PM
Intermediate

acura rattle

Here is a copy of Engineering request for more info that dealers should give when complaint arises:
Obviously Acura "IS" aware of issue

Last edited by skoobahead; 12-21-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2010 | 10:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Can you send me a copy? We have been chatting about this on and off via PM.

Now I wonder if we have the same problem! The dealer actually called Acura's Tech Line when they couldn't fix is 3 times.
The dealer had my 09 tl shawd for over a week and never was able to fix it. If I turn the radio on, even at a low volume I can't hear it, so that is what I do. I may bring a copy of the picture of the engineering request into the dealership and see what they do.
Old 12-23-2010 | 11:21 PM
COTM Coordinator

Definitely gotta take mine in. Its progressively getting worse and worse....
Old 12-24-2010 | 10:36 AM
Intermediate

Rattle

Take your cars in. That's the only way Acura will address the known issue: When they get a bill for hours of troubleshooting from the dealer. Reference the engineering bulletin and have them call.
Old 12-26-2010 | 12:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by skoobahead
Take your cars in. That's the only way Acura will address the known issue: When they get a bill for hours of troubleshooting from the dealer. Reference the engineering bulletin and have them call.
They spent over a week on my car last time, and I am hesitant to allow that again. I have little confidence in the dealer's ability to fix the issue, especially since the bulletin posted in this thread does not indicate a cause or a fix.
Old 12-26-2010 | 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Just to add an additional datapoint. In a thread elsewhere, I've pretty much documented my experience with this rattle/pop/click, what have you, coming from the rear.

I had noticed it when my car had 1,500 miles. I worked with a very accommodating dealer for about a YEAR and now at almost 30,000 miles, the problem has NOT been fixed. The last advice from the dealer, and I'm sure before the above bulletin was issued, was that they called Acura Tech Line and Acura recommended that the car be brought to a body shop. They would cut the seam, re-weld it, and repaint any disturbed area. Acura wants to do this to a car that LESS (at the time) than a year old? No F'in way!!!!

Not acceptable to me so I left it at that.
Old 12-27-2010 | 03:42 AM
Instructor

My 2010 TL makes the same creak noise. It appears to be the rear window exterior metal trim pieces flexing under cold or on uneven surfaces like driveways. I can move them and make similar creaks.
Old 12-27-2010 | 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Just to add an additional datapoint. In a thread elsewhere, I've pretty much documented my experience with this rattle/pop/click, what have you, coming from the rear.

I had noticed it when my car had 1,500 miles. I worked with a very accommodating dealer for about a YEAR and now at almost 30,000 miles, the problem has NOT been fixed. The last advice from the dealer, and I'm sure before the above bulletin was issued, was that they called Acura Tech Line and Acura recommended that the car be brought to a body shop. They would cut the seam, re-weld it, and repaint any disturbed area. Acura wants to do this to a car that LESS (at the time) than a year old? No F'in way!!!!

Not acceptable to me so I left it at that.
I mentioned to my local Acura Service dept what your Acura dealer told you about a reweld. Thier eyes got REAL big. They said they have NEVER heard of that and have never taken a vehicle to a bodyshop for such a problem. I'm not saying its not a remote possibility, just what they said.
The Acura rep was at the dealership a day prior to my appointment and was aware of the many complaints but told the dealership they have not issued a TSB and for the dealership to proceed as they normally would to troubleshoot and fix a rattle/noise. It sounds like they really dont know what is the correct fix IMHO.
Anyway, my TL spend 2 days at the dealership. I spoke with the tech who heard the noise during our test drive and worked on my car. As expected he said to isolate the noise was very time consuming. He insulated every possible area on rear shelf while working in trunk with upper lining removed.(plastic fasteners on metal, etc.) After numerous test drives he felt the noise was more loacted in the upper area of the passenger rear fender on the inside of the vehicle. The trunk side panel was removed and he lubed all the spot welds claiming the upper area near window was his focus area.
I must say he looked exhausted and my receipt reflected 8.5 hours of labor charged under warranty to Acura. I was not brushed off at all by the dealership. The service manager said if the noise returns dont hesitate to bring it back.
My car is tap/tick free for 3 days now but I'm still not claiming a fix as it is an intermittant problem that seems to be more active in warmer temps on my car. I will monitor and update.
This is very frustrating but I still believe we need to bring our cars in for this issue. The more troubleshooting labor charges Acura gets, the more likely they are to do something.
Old 12-29-2010 | 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skoobahead
I mentioned to my local Acura Service dept what your Acura dealer told you about a reweld. Thier eyes got REAL big. They said they have NEVER heard of that and have never taken a vehicle to a bodyshop for such a problem. I'm not saying its not a remote possibility, just what they said.
You should have seen the size of MY eyes when I heard that too! I refused to do this and rather wait until more and more people complain (like you guys ).

I even have an Acura Tech Line case number documenting this as the dealer called them up after 3x and still couldn't solve it. It was Acura Tech who recommended the body shop solution, not the dealer. Maybe it was an intern who ansewered the phone at Acura Tech that day.
Old 01-01-2011 | 02:59 PM
Instructor

You should have seen the size of MY eyes when I heard that too! I refused to do this and rather wait until more and more people complain (like you guys ).

I even have an Acura Tech Line case number documenting this as the dealer called them up after 3x and still couldn't solve it. It was Acura Tech who recommended the body shop solution, not the dealer. Maybe it was an intern who ansewered the phone at Acura Tech that day.
My dealership wanted to do the same thing and I also refused to let them basically take the car apart and put it back together. I am hoping a TSB gets issued so I have something tangible to take to the dealership.
Old 01-01-2011 | 03:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

mfr buyback
Old 01-01-2011 | 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Case under litigation.
Old 01-01-2011 | 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kc1953
My dealership wanted to do the same thing and I also refused to let them basically take the car apart and put it back together. I am hoping a TSB gets issued so I have something tangible to take to the dealership.
Totally agree as each body shop has different degree of quality and workmanship so there's no consistency. Not acceptable!
Old 01-07-2011 | 09:54 PM
Advanced

My 2010 TL SH AWD has no noise yet. Mileage is at 2100km or 1312 miles. I hope I will not have this problem. My 1996 Chev Z24 had this kind of a problem. Even after 30 visits to the dealer the technicians couldn't fix it. Finally GM Canada decided that there was no fix and that the car is safe, and that "no further repairs are recommended to the vehicle" for this issue. That really pissed me off and I consulted my own mechanic. After 1 hour he pinpointed the problem to be the sturts at the back. I've taken that info to the GM dealer and they decided to try it after arguing. It fixed my problem. ...so to make a long story short, be persistent and make Acura responsible for the product they made.
Old 01-14-2011 | 08:22 PM
Advanced

I took a peek into into this thread when it was first posted and thought to myself "I'm glad I haven't encountered this problem." BUT, on my way home from work today I heard this exact same noise coming from the rear that has been described throughout this thread! I haven't hit anything or gone over a large bump/pothole, nothing. It just popped up out of the blue.

I'm going to have to drive it around a bit more to see if it persists. If and when it does I'll be visiting my local Acura dealer. If I get any BS I wont hesitate to bring this forum/thread to their attention. I HATE unsolicited rattles on cars, especially one that boasts the quality of Acura. Any updates on a possible cause or solution?
Old 01-17-2011 | 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Since you are in IA and it's probably extremely cold now, wait until it warms up. If it truly is indeed seam rubbing/interference, warmer weather causes things to expand more and then you'll really hear it! Speaking from experience...
Old 01-17-2011 | 08:26 PM
Advanced

Since you are in IA and it's probably extremely cold now, wait until it warms up. If it truly is indeed seam rubbing/interference, warmer weather causes things to expand more and then you'll really hear it! Speaking from experience...
Interesting you say that. The day I heard it, we had been getting a wintery mix of rain/snow so my TL had a light glaze of ice on it. Heard the noise on the way home and was somewhat agitated. Put it in the garage when I got home. My garage is "heated", I have a ceiling mounted heater for the dog's kennel in the garage (and I'll be honest its for me and the car as well). Drove it later after it had "warmed" up to about 50 degrees from sitting in the garage, and I didn't notice the rattle. From my brief observation it seems the cold is what had the adverse effect. Anyway, I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if I get similar results when the weather is significantly warmer.
Old 01-19-2011 | 10:13 AM
Intermediate

I am from DSM area as well...cold days and low speeds (30 to 40mph) will make it appear like crazy. However usually when it warms up it disappears...
Old 02-11-2011 | 06:46 AM
Intermediate

Its baaaaaaaack

After 2 months tapping is slowly resurfacing. Sure makes it sound like lube of spot welds has worn away.
Old 02-11-2011 | 11:58 AM
Cruisin'

Five hundred KM's in my wife's new TL started a rattle from the passenger side. Will have to see if it is coming from the rear!
Old 08-06-2011 | 12:46 PM
Intermediate

Hey Guys- I own a 2005 TL Auto Navi and I have been dealing with similar clicking like this for over thre years. I have had the car in the dealership 4-5 times (extended warranty has covered these visits) but they can't seem to get the issue corrected. Still there. Same location. How the hell can the same problem arise out of the same area in cars that are 5 model years apart and two different designs? How is it possible that they can't find a fix for this problem?
Old 08-06-2011 | 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm having this same noise, just started a few weeks ago and I though that it would go away. I'm going to make an appointment with my dealer to see if they can fix this problem.

Quick Reply: Rattle Video on Youtube 2010 TL