Rattle on initial acceleration - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Rattle on initial acceleration

Old 12-12-2018, 03:04 AM
  #41  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 51
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS View Post
Software update is no good.

I once asked my Acura dealer to fix the "initial acceleration engine rattling" problem on my 4G TL. They told me the pros and cons.

The pro is that software update will fix the immediate rattling problem. But the cons are that (1) I have to pay for the job, and (2) the rattling problem will come back after a few months (according to their customer feedback). I suspect that latter is to do with the more volatile winter gas formula versus the less volatile summer gas formula, that the engine software is not capable to self-adjust to such a wide range of gas volatility.

My rattling problem is definitely engine pinging because it heavily depends on the brand of gasoline that I fill up with. For PetroCanada gas, the engine will ping like crazy, and for Chevron gas, the engine will have minimal pinging in summer and none in winter. But I still haven't been able to find one gas brand in Canada that will have no pinging all year around.
Have you used Shell 91 Vpower before as well? I have only used that gas pretty much since the early years of my 09. Still rattles/pings on occasion and winter months seem to be the worst. Iím thinking of trying out chevron 94 octane. Iím in Vancouver as well.
TLTesh604 is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 12:26 PM
  #42  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Here in California, Ive never seen 94 Octane.
Mine sounds like a metallic rattle sound. Ive had this car checked out and misdiagnosed so many times Its practically been rebuilt. From transmission (TWICE!) to engine (ONCE) even Catalytic converter all in an effort to fix this damned rattle out of fear it may pose a greater problem.
The dollar amount put into this car chasing the fix for this now exceeds $12k. I plan to do a Transfer case fluid exchange today and see if that works. Someone posted theirs went away after doing such. Its kills me to love the car so much and HATE It at the same time.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 05:34 PM
  #43  
Registered Member
 
dopeboy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Age: 28
Posts: 616
Thanked 111 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS View Post
Software update is no good.

I once asked my Acura dealer to fix the "initial acceleration engine rattling" problem on my 4G TL. They told me the pros and cons.

The pro is that software update will fix the immediate rattling problem. But the cons are that (1) I have to pay for the job, and (2) the rattling problem will come back after a few months (according to their customer feedback). I suspect that latter is to do with the more volatile winter gas formula versus the less volatile summer gas formula, that the engine software is not capable to self-adjust to such a wide range of gas volatility.

My rattling problem is definitely engine pinging because it heavily depends on the brand of gasoline that I fill up with. For PetroCanada gas, the engine will ping like crazy, and for Chevron gas, the engine will have minimal pinging in summer and none in winter. But I still haven't been able to find one gas brand in Canada that will have no pinging all year around.
Interesting because I only use 91 from PetroCanada and my car runs like a champ. Never had this issue or any noticeable pinging.
dopeboy1 is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 03:19 PM
  #44  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
I check this thread compulsively in hopes one day I will find the answer. Ive contacted Acura more than 20 times this calendar year pertaining to my car. When I tell you my car has almost been rebuilt,. Most of whats under the hood is BRAND NEW. And yet this rattle remains. SMH
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 03:31 PM
  #45  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p.../#post16349668

In case anyone has questions about WHAT the ping sounds like , i pulled this from another thread about the same issue on the same model...
(see video)
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 11:17 PM
  #46  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 51
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is it quite the mystery. My car is nowhere near that bad and Iím hoping it doesnít get to that. I have an 09 and can remember as far as 5 plus years ago when I first starting hearing it. It goes away for long periods of time then comes back. Could definitely be fuel related. The car has gone this far without issue, just an annoyance which I hope is the extent of it. But yes I too would love to know what the heck is causing this one day.
TLTesh604 is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 11:15 AM
  #47  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Check this out guys!
https://www.gearboxfactory.co.nz/Ser...Cases+4WD.html

I think someone in here may be on to something. He say he changed his hypoid fluid in the transfer case and the sound went away.
• I have the SH-AWD
• I live in San Francisco (lots of steep hills)
• Sound happens on Acceleration and often during turns.

I am hoping this works. I made appointment with Acura the soonest was THIS saturday afternoon.
I am So excited as this would mean my TL is whole. Ive fixed EVERY rattle ping and chime and this is the last
peeve of having this car. (Falls to knees praying with tears in his eyes) Please Let this work.

LOL

I'll keep you guys posted.

P.S. I finally got Apple Carplay AND android auto in my car.
• Works with Factory Joystick
• STock OEM look. No changing of your factory system
• Plan to post about it soon.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 04:42 AM
  #48  
4G TL-Elilte, 3G MDX
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Richmond,B.C.,Canada
Posts: 9,136
Thanked 660 Times in 524 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1 View Post
Interesting because I only use 91 from PetroCanada and my car runs like a champ. Never had this issue or any noticeable pinging.
Not all 4G TL has engine knocking. I am one of the unfortunate ones that has.

Similarly not all 3.7L-V6 engine consume excessive oil. I am also one of the unfortunate ones that has.

Just a thought. I wonder if engine knocking has any relationship to excessive oil consumption ?

Please everyone chips in.
Edward'TLS is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 10:40 AM
  #49  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by vicfbls View Post
*My specific Rattle/pinging sound fixed*

This is for those people googling the intermittent rattling noise that most mechanics diagnose as engine pinging or a loose heat shield.

My problem. A rattling noise once the engine was warm, turned off for 10 mins or less and then driven again. Rattle sounds would happen under normal acceleration around 2,000 - 4,000 RPM, and then go away after a short distance. Mechanics guessed it to be bad fuel, a loose heat shield, or a broken transmission / torque converter. I didn't feel any driving issues, it was just noise.

The fix. Drain and fill Hypoid fluid for the SH-AWD transfer case. After that fluid change, I drove around for 40kms in silence with the same fuel, so it was not engine pinging. Its been a bit over 100 kms now and I havent had any noises since the drain and fill.
IT WORKED. For me, so far. I got my hypoid fluid (transfer case fluid exchange ) done at Acura Dealer. They tried to sell me on the tranny and differential, but I had changed those already per maintenance minder.
Even after placing my transmission (twice) no one ever mentions transfer case fluid. like, ever.
Anyway, Immediately driving the car after I noticed, more....torque. More...I cant quite explain, but the car drove better. It was like velvet smooth powerful acceleration. More precise. And believe me, I was looking for the sound... the dreaded rattle....
It happened, but it was for a nanosecond.....Then the next drive cycle it did it, but it was 90% audible of what it usually is...very faint. Then, after that. It hasnt happened again.
In a nutshell, After the fluid change, it was there faintly....and within 3 days, its gone. Car hasnt made the sound in three days. I still wanna at least go 30 days without hearing that rattle/knock/ping... We will see..

So for those who have this issue, its worth it. DOnt go getting all kinds of cluids changed, they will try to sell you on it. Just simply put "Transfer case Fluid Exhchange". Also this is not something you want to trust just anyone to do. Acura/Honda tend to be very specific about this particular fluid. Many mechanics turned me away. So I went to Acura. Im glad I did. Im really f*&%! happy right now!
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 12:04 PM
  #50  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS View Post
Not all 4G TL has engine knocking. I am one of the unfortunate ones that has.

Similarly not all 3.7L-V6 engine consume excessive oil. I am also one of the unfortunate ones that has.

Just a thought. I wonder if engine knocking has any relationship to excessive oil consumption ?

Please everyone chips in.
For my oil consumption issues my fix was changing to 5W30. Seeming no oil consumption and this engine runs beefier, This came at the suggestion of Acura After checking my valves for leaks and running the diagnostics attached to Service bulletin.
They mentioned that there were "No noted adverse reactions to using 5w30, however the engine runs most efficiently with 5W20". I made the switch it fixed it. I think it depends on how you drive. Im a very spirited, healthy accelerations-take corners,
kinda guy. I like seeing the limits of the car sometimes. And that drving style, seems to make this engine drink oil. So I switched to an oil that allowed for my driving style.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 06:15 PM
  #51  
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 40
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your all inputs!

I have just bought 2010 MDX at 72K and going crazy with that rattling sound as shown on the following video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2wn7B...ature=youtu.be

I will try to have the transfer case fluid exchanged ASAP.

I have just realized that you wrote on December 21st, 2018 that transfer case fluid exchanged. I am confused if it was a typo or youíve revised your entry after changing it a fee days ago.

Happy holidays & new year everyone.

Sal

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson View Post
IT WORKED. For me, so far. I got my hypoid fluid (transfer case fluid exchange ) done at Acura Dealer. They tried to sell me on the tranny and differential, but I had changed those already per maintenance minder.
Even after placing my transmission (twice) no one ever mentions transfer case fluid. like, ever.
Anyway, Immediately driving the car after I noticed, more....torque. More...I cant quite explain, but the car drove better. It was like velvet smooth powerful acceleration. More precise. And believe me, I was looking for the sound... the dreaded rattle....
It happened, but it was for a nanosecond.....Then the next drive cycle it did it, but it was 90% audible of what it usually is...very faint. Then, after that. It hasnt happened again.
In a nutshell, After the fluid change, it was there faintly....and within 3 days, its gone. Car hasnt made the sound in three days. I still wanna at least go 30 days without hearing that rattle/knock/ping... We will see..

So for those who have this issue, its worth it. DOnt go getting all kinds of cluids changed, they will try to sell you on it. Just simply put "Transfer case Fluid Exhchange". Also this is not something you want to trust just anyone to do. Acura/Honda tend to be very specific about this particular fluid. Many mechanics turned me away. So I went to Acura. Im glad I did. Im really f*&%! happy right now!
rockland129 is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 02:51 PM
  #52  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rockland129 View Post
Thanks for your all inputs!

I have just bought 2010 MDX at 72K and going crazy with that rattling sound as shown on the following video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2wn7B...ature=youtu.be

I will try to have the transfer case fluid exchanged ASAP.

I have just realized that you wrote on December 21st, 2018 that transfer case fluid exchanged. I am confused if it was a typo or youíve revised your entry after changing it a fee days ago.

Happy holidays & new year everyone.

Sal

You are correct, The date was a typo. I was excited in typing.
And not so good news.... it happened again this morning...FAINT and for a nanosecond. But it happened.
it used to last for a few seconds....But now its just like a blip.
It may continue to improve after more driving, but There is a remarkable difference in how often it happens
and the intensity at which it happens.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 12-30-2018, 10:05 PM
  #53  
Registered Member
 
dwest1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: DC
Age: 64
Posts: 1,833
Thanked 86 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS View Post
Not all 4G TL has engine knocking. I am one of the unfortunate ones that has.

Similarly not all 3.7L-V6 engine consume excessive oil. I am also one of the unfortunate ones that has.

Just a thought. I wonder if engine knocking has any relationship to excessive oil consumption ?

Please everyone chips in.
I believe the same thing. Nobody is complaining about rattles on the 3.5. I do know that excessive oil burning will cause engine pinging. Iím surprised the dealer these folks have been to, dont know that. My 2009 is as quiet as the day I bought it.
dwest1023 is offline  
Old 12-31-2018, 09:40 AM
  #54  
Registered Member
 
PeterPort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 117
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My 2012 6MT has started to occasionally give a soft rattle on cold starts in first gear, and it goes away. First heard it when I put regular gas in the car. (I nearly always have used premium but couldn't resist a bargain.) Putting premium in on the next fill up hasn't completely killed off the noise, which is not always reproduced. I am going to run some techron in the car.
PeterPort is offline  
Old 12-31-2018, 11:07 AM
  #55  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
I also think a rare stall issue i have when in steep inclines may be related as well. Because just as the car stalls out that gargle piing rattle sound happens. SO frustrating.
The car runs Smooth. But that damdned sound. I cant believe no one has found a solution yet. Its all over youtube..Thousands of us have it.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 11:05 PM
  #56  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Still no solution?
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 06:34 AM
  #57  
4G TL-Elilte, 3G MDX
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Richmond,B.C.,Canada
Posts: 9,136
Thanked 660 Times in 524 Posts
If the problem is engine pinging at initial acceleration when engine is warm,
Permanent solution : NO
Temporary solution : YES

Read my post #40 above.
Edward'TLS is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 03:19 PM
  #58  
Registered Member
 
KarKraze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,343
Thanked 594 Times in 500 Posts
Just throwing this out there. I have no evidence to support this other than my own experience. I have always used 94 Octane and occasionally I would hear a slight ping.

I have not heard it back since the car was Tuned with the K Tuner. Not sure if this is a solution albeit a fairly expensive one to gamble with.
KarKraze is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:53 AM
  #59  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Canada
Age: 33
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Following. Got that rattling sound. Had the knock sensor changed. Currently at 175,000km Montreal Canada
Will go to acura soon to change the transfer case fluid and update
ti al is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:10 AM
  #60  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
UPDATE:
After Transfer case fluid exchange Just before Christmas 2018, over a few days the noise changed, faded and has now seemingly stopped. The last time I heard the noise was on Jan 4, 2018. I haven't heard it since.
I will continue to update Once a week for 4 more weeks.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to mrphilipanderson For This Useful Post:
Nev05 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:40 PM
  #61  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 21
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson View Post
UPDATE:
After Transfer case fluid exchange Just before Christmas 2018, over a few days the noise changed, faded and has now seemingly stopped. The last time I heard the noise was on Jan 4, 2018. I haven't heard it since.
I will continue to update Once a week for 4 more weeks.
Thank you! I have also been noticing the rattle on my '12 TL 6MT on acceleration. Mostly after shifting to 2nd. I always been using 91 octane gas so I know its not that. I been following this thread for the past month to see if theres a fix for this and if a transfer case fluid change is all I need, then I'm happy. This fluid change was next on my list anyway. Please keep us posted !
Nev05 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:46 PM
  #62  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Nev05 View Post
Thank you! I have also been noticing the rattle on my '12 TL 6MT on acceleration. Mostly after shifting to 2nd. I always been using 91 octane gas so I know its not that. I been following this thread for the past month to see if theres a fix for this and if a transfer case fluid change is all I need, then I'm happy. This fluid change was next on my list anyway. Please keep us posted !
One guy got immediate results. Mine are still pending. I want to go a full 30 days with no rattle. but so far so good.
I also will start using seafoam regularly in my Fuel. I have used it in the past to safeguard against fuel irregularities.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 01:26 PM
  #63  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Confirming Week 2 of ZERO rattle after Doing TRANSFER CASE FLUID EXCHANGE. Changing this fluid again also changed the overall feel of the car for the better.
I don't want to get too excited yet because it hasn't quite been a month. Again I want to test for a full 30 days and also varying Gas brands to ensure its NOT fuel related as well.
But it feels good to pull away after leaving a store and not be embarrassed that my car gargles metal bolts LOL. Go get your Transfer Case fluids Exchanges folks... Give it a couple weeks and you too
can be rattle on initial acceleration free. Im like still skeptical even though it hasn't done it in 3 weeks! I feel like If we all try it (with our varying driving styles and fuels use) we can discover and share the fix.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 01:27 PM
  #64  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by vicfbls View Post
*My specific Rattle/pinging sound fixed*

This is for those people googling the intermittent rattling noise that most mechanics diagnose as engine pinging or a loose heat shield.

My problem. A rattling noise once the engine was warm, turned off for 10 mins or less and then driven again. Rattle sounds would happen under normal acceleration around 2,000 - 4,000 RPM, and then go away after a short distance. Mechanics guessed it to be bad fuel, a loose heat shield, or a broken transmission / torque converter. I didn't feel any driving issues, it was just noise.

The fix. Drain and fill Hypoid fluid for the SH-AWD transfer case. After that fluid change, I drove around for 40kms in silence with the same fuel, so it was not engine pinging. Its been a bit over 100 kms now and I havent had any noises since the drain and fill.
I CREDIT YOU FOR FINDING THIS FIX. WHO told you to change the transfer case fluid? What lead you to this?
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 04:38 PM
  #65  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Age: 32
Posts: 32
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Unfortunately my rattle is still around. I replaced the front transfer case fluid about 2000 miles ago. It did seem to help for a couple of weeks. Hopefully it solves the problem for the rest of you guys, but no luck here. I'm not 100% convinced it's related since the noise has always come and gone.
meowmeows is offline  
Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM
  #66  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 325
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by meowmeows View Post
Unfortunately my rattle is still around. I replaced the front transfer case fluid about 2000 miles ago. It did seem to help for a couple of weeks. Hopefully it solves the problem for the rest of you guys, but no luck here. I'm not 100% convinced it's related since the noise has always come and gone.
oh this is most unfortunate. Mine took about 500 miles totally before it went away altogether. Perhaps it may take a few fluid changes? There are some cases where this is the case. I appreciate my car so much more now.
I am trying to help figure how to get you there.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mlody
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
77
05-20-2018 10:27 PM
joflewbyu2
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
94
12-18-2017 04:33 PM
Mike734
2G RL Tires, Wheels & Suspension
2
05-11-2017 11:49 AM
copmagnet82
4G TL Problems & Fixes
5
06-29-2016 09:09 AM
xsilverhawkx
2G TL Problems & Fixes
4
10-05-2015 12:00 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattle on initial acceleration


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.