Problems with New TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with New TL SH-AWD

Hello All - New to the forum, as I just picked-up my new 2009 TL SH-AWD on Friday after work...crystal black with the umber interior. I think it is a gorgeous car and the technology is unsurpassed.

My problem is that, after I picked the car up on Friday around 5:00, I was driving it on some back roads around my house at 6:30 and, while heading into a turn on a slight uphill, the tranny kicked down a gear, which took the RPM's up over 4K...at which point my CEL came on (P1078), along with a warning about the SH-AWD system (77).

Luckily, the dealer has Saturday hours, so I took it back to them first thing Saturday morning. They kept the car for about an hour and then gave it back to me, saying that they hooked it up to the computer and the computer was returning nothing. So they just cleared the code.

So then I had it out on Sunday and pulled away from a stop sign on a slight uphill, where I had to merge with traffic...so, again the RPM's went up over 4K and, again, the CEL came on, along with the SH-AWD warning.

I took it back to the dealer on Monday, and they hooked it up to the computer again, which again returned codes that there was nothing wrong...but then they took it out on a test drive and the lights all came on for them, too.

The Service Manager said that, athough it is not returning anything, he thought it may be the motor that actuates the second half of the intake manifold. They ordered a new motor, which still has not arrived (they are telling me that it will hopefully arrive today). So, hopefully this fixes the problem...because it seems like they are shooting in the dark on this one. But, in the six days that I have owned my car, it has been with the dealer for more than 50% of that time.

Has anyone else had/heard of this problem???

This is my first Acura...my Dad owns an MDX, my Mom owns an RDX, and my Grandfather had a Gen. 1 Legend that he drove for 10+ years...all have had no problems. I am 39 years old and, between me and my wife, have bought 15 cars in my lifetime...6 Chryslers, 7 GM's and 2 Nissans. Never had this kind of problems with any of those cars...particularly an hour and a half into ownership. This whole experience is putting a really bad taste in my mouth...

Anyone who can share their experiences with something similar would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem Fixed!?!

Well - guess no one else has had this problem, as I have had 48 views of my original post and no replies.

Just FYI for anyone who is interested...I guess it was the motor that actuates the second half of the intake manifold that was causing the CEL to come on. They replaced it and the Service Manager took it on a test drive where he made sure to rev it up over 4K a few times and no CEL. I took it over 4K a few times on my drive home and no CEL...so, hopefully, the problem is fixed.

Now, the fact that my front bumper was scratched when I picked the car up is a completely different story...
Old 06-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff, my TL was my first Acura. I bought it 6 weeks ago. The only times it has been in for service were for the install of the splash guards the day after I bought it. Every other car I've bought (mostly GMs, one Ford) had to be back in for some kind of service in the first two months.

Overall, Acuras have an excellent service record - but occasionally things do fail, and there are some parts that are as likely to fail at the very beginning as at any other time.

Get on their case about that scratch!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffpa

Now, the fact that my front bumper was scratched when I picked the car up is a completely different story...
Wait, you mean they somehow scratched your bumper during the process, hey that's unacceptable, bring it back before it's too late.

Remind me my Lexus, i brought in for 60k service, came our right front scratched 2-3 mm deep , i did not notice until few days later, my car is black.
Did not bring back to dealer cause i know they won;t honor it since i didn't notice this while i took delivery. I guess sometime $hit happens.