Odd electrical problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd electrical problem...

I just got a 2009 TL, SH-AWD, tech pkg, 3 days ago and have encountered an odd electrical problem.

Out of the blue, yesterday the interior lights stopped working (front and rear), no power to the homelink buttons, and no lights on the sun visor mirrors.

Took it back to the dealership today and the salesman and service guys were very helpful. The interior light fuse (fuse box under the hood) had blown. So they put a new fuse in (7.5A) and everything was working fine. I drove the car from the service area out to the front of the dealership, parked it, turned the car off, went into the dealership to chat and when I got back into the car and turned it back on, the interior lights stopped working again!

The fuse blew again, just minutes after getting a new one put in! So they replaced the fuse again. Luckily, everything is still working fine 12 hours later. But, I made a service appointment for Monday morning just in case it happens again.

Odd...has anyone run into this before?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's quite annoying. My guess is that there's some electrical problems throughout the car that created a strong current. If it happens again, convince the dealership to give you a new TL. 1st time is fine, but that 2nd time is a bit..odd..
Old 03-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Instructor

no ones going to give you a new TL cuz a fuse keeps blowing. might be a recall comin on the fuse boxes? similar to the accord when it came out in 03.

also, you might want to see if they can locate the problem
Old 03-08-2009, 01:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had something similar happen in my TL. My driver side bottom door courtesy light went out, and the diagnosis was that the multiplex was shorted out, wherever that is in the electrical system, which lead to a shlew of problems not worth getting into. I'd have a talk with the GM xrays, please convey how concerned you are and make sure they do a solid job. Those Acura qualified techs makes mistakes back there and assume a bit too much. At least that's been my experience.

I don't know about getting a new TL either, but please let the dealer and Acura HQ know about your issues to see that you get some sort of compensation for all these inconveniences. Write a old fashioned letter. Documentation of your issues is very important, and let everyone know about it! Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 03-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rattmann316
no ones going to give you a new TL cuz a fuse keeps blowing. might be a recall comin on the fuse boxes? similar to the accord when it came out in 03.

also, you might want to see if they can locate the problem
If you have a recurring problem, they will have to.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
the diagnosis was that the multiplex was shorted out, wherever that is in the electrical system, which lead to a shlew of problems not worth getting into.
Multiplexing debuted with the '96 RL as far as I remember. It reduces the wiring in the car by umteenth percent. Instead of running 12v for every switch and relay 'one by one', they run a few control and power wires to various mini-CPUs placed throughout the car. Digital signals are sent down the control wire and the CPU interprets this as 'roll up the window'. The same control wire could simultaneously send 'lock the doors'. This is why one failure takes out several (seemingly) unrelated functions.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
If they have to fix it 4 times, usually qualifies for a replacement under lemon law. So say nothing and let them keep fixing it. Read your State's lemon law.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tman
If they have to fix it 4 times, usually qualifies for a replacement under lemon law. So say nothing and let them keep fixing it. Read your State's lemon law.
It will have to be a bit more then that to qualify for the lemon law. And they will fix this problem even if they have to rewire the entire car.

All it is a loose wire somewhere and they have to trace it down. They did the right thing...replace the fuse and if the lights come back on and they can't easily reproduce the fault then give you the car back. I would guess that the problem is in the door and when you shut the door it causes the loose wire to arc and blow the fuse.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Multiplexing debuted with the '96 RL as far as I remember. It reduces the wiring in the car by umteenth percent. Instead of running 12v for every switch and relay 'one by one', they run a few control and power wires to various mini-CPUs placed throughout the car. Digital signals are sent down the control wire and the CPU interprets this as 'roll up the window'. The same control wire could simultaneously send 'lock the doors'. This is why one failure takes out several (seemingly) unrelated functions.

Is the multiplexing controlled with a CAN bus?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Sorry, I don't know that level of detail.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:00 PM
acura master tech

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
check to make sure there is nothing in your ac socket, like a penny of dime. sometimes the ring from your phone charger can fall off into it and it will blow the fuse.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Luckily the problem has not recurred in a week.

Will obviously still keep an eye on things....
Old 03-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Acura runs IEBus. A few people on here have been hacking it on the TSX and TL. Pretty cool stuff.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/%5Bworking-%5D-hacking-ga-net-iebus-get-touchscreen-coordinates-346909/
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
multiplexing has been around since the early 90's. ford n gm were the first ones to use a computer to monitor things in cars with dc pulses. the multiplex is the ECU in the car. its all built in and yes its the CAN B and CAN F in the acuras.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Advanced

Get a new car because of a blown fuse issue? Unbelievable. And everyone wonders why the cost of living in this country is skyrocketing. Sure lets give the guy a new $40,000 car because a $3 fuse keeps blowing on him. I mean his engine didn't catch fire 3 times, the axles haven't fallen off the car, his transmission isn't stuck in 1st gear but that fuse issue now that's a biggie. Is it an inconvenience yes, does it warrant him getting a new car? Absolutely not. Do any of you people who make these ridiculous suggestions work in sales or are you all just on the outside looking in feeling you should get what you want because you're the customer?? Walk in the shoes of people in the retail industry, get an idea of how pricing works and what warranty work and replacement means for a company and then make a comment.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Safety Car

I agree but I disagree..... Id rather not walk in the shoes of retail people.....all of them are bullshit artists and lie. and if the product didnt have defects....there wouldnt be need for warranty.
Are you the one whos so stupid making comments or ridiculous suggestions like the ones u just commented about??..... PROBABLY ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN? AND...... YEA I AM THE CUSTOMER.....PUTTING CASH IN UR STUPID COMMENTING HANDS SAYING GIMME A CAR...MAKING U RICH! SAYING I HAVE MONEY AND IM GONNA DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
I agree but I disagree..... Id rather not walk in the shoes of retail people.....all of them are bullshit artists and lie. and if the product didnt have defects....there wouldnt be need for warranty.
Are you the one whos so stupid making comments or ridiculous suggestions like the ones u just commented about??..... PROBABLY ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN? AND...... YEA I AM THE CUSTOMER.....PUTTING CASH IN UR STUPID COMMENTING HANDS SAYING GIMME A CAR...MAKING U RICH! SAYING I HAVE MONEY AND IM GONNA DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Okay I'm not sure what you were trying to say there. Read your post carefully and make sense. No one said that there won't be defective products out there but what trips me out is that people expect the world to revolve around them just because they are the customer. Keep in mind this mostly happens here in the US where some fool came up with the policy "The customer is always right." Truth be told the customer is hardly ever right and most times its them whose defective and not the product. I'll give you and example from my industry. "My phone fell in the pool. I need a replacement. It's defective." No sir you phone is not defective. You dropped it in the pool. You must purchase another one. Customer response- BS!! they should have made it waterproof. Let me speak to your manager!" You sound like you could be one of those people from your oh so intelligent remarks.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cheezes
Okay I'm not sure what you were trying to say there. Read your post carefully and make sense. No one said that there won't be defective products out there but what trips me out is that people expect the world to revolve around them just because they are the customer. Keep in mind this mostly happens here in the US where some fool came up with the policy "The customer is always right." Truth be told the customer is hardly ever right and most times its them whose defective and not the product. I'll give you and example from my industry. "My phone fell in the pool. I need a replacement. It's defective." No sir you phone is not defective. You dropped it in the pool. You must purchase another one. Customer response- BS!! they should have made it waterproof. Let me speak to your manager!" You sound like you could be one of those people from your oh so intelligent remarks.

Thanks for confirming what those of us who have the misfortune to deal with what the mobile phone industry purports to be customer service already knew - the phone companies believe that the customers exist to serve them, and not the other way around.