Noticed my two exhaust tips aren't even

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Noticed my two exhaust tips aren't even

the passenger side one is a little lower than the other, about quarter an inch lower. took it to the dealer, they lifted it up and showed me since the two tips were all connected thru one pipe and there is no way to adjust it unless they get the permission from me to remove the whole thing and bolt it back on again and even so they didn't believe it'd help much. i decided to leave the way it was, i don't want them to messed up my chasis and frame. anyone else notice this? i've seen couple TLs on dealers' lot having the similar issue. these are for FWD models only.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
the passenger side one is a little lower than the other, about quarter an inch lower. took it to the dealer, they lifted it up and showed me since the two tips were all connected thru one pipe and there is no way to adjust it unless they get the permission from me to remove the whole thing and bolt it back on again and even so they didn't believe it'd help much. i decided to leave the way it was, i don't want them to messed up my chasis and frame. anyone else notice this? i've seen couple TLs on dealers' lot having the similar issue. these are for FWD models only.
I am Mr. A-Type personality. I could not stand it if the pipes were uneven. There are basically 3 ways of addressing the issue.
1 - Unbolt the system and try to realign it. There's not much play if it needs twisting. If one is higher than the other, they may be able to adjust by slightly bending one of the hangers welded to the under body.
2 - Heat it with a torch and bend it. Not desirable! But works.
3 - Replace it.
If it bothers you, then have them fix it. If not it will be one of those niggling little things that will drive you nuts and eventually you will kick yourself in the butt for not getting it taken care of. Me? I would push to have them replace it if they can't adjust it. It may have to go to Acura as a warranty issue. The dealer won't replace it out of the goodness of their heart. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PGSberg
I am Mr. A-Type personality. I could not stand it if the pipes were uneven. There are basically 3 ways of addressing the issue.
1 - Unbolt the system and try to realign it. There's not much play if it needs twisting. If one is higher than the other, they may be able to adjust by slightly bending one of the hangers welded to the under body.
2 - Heat it with a torch and bend it. Not desirable! But works.
3 - Replace it.
If it bothers you, then have them fix it. If not it will be one of those niggling little things that will drive you nuts and eventually you will kick yourself in the butt for not getting it taken care of. Me? I would push to have them replace it if they can't adjust it. It may have to go to Acura as a warranty issue. The dealer won't replace it out of the goodness of their heart. Good luck!
i think it's starting to get to me now. i couldn't help but noticing other 4g TL's exhaust pipes on the road. how should i go about this? just insist to have the dealer file a request thru Acura?
Old 05-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Stop the Acura dealer in person, ask for the service manager and "be polite" tell him/her that you have been in before and wasn't satisfied with what you were told. Tell them that you have looked at the cars on the lot and they all have aligned exhaust tips. Ask them to replace the rear exhaust system so your car looks like the rest of the cars on the lot.
If you don't get satisfaction, ask for contact information for the regional Acura representative as well as Acura USA. Contact both and express that all you are asking for is that your car looks like Acura intended.
I'll really be surprised if you have a hassle. The reason you may have an issue with the dealership is because they need a cut and dry resolution to get reimbursed back through Acura since it should be a warranty issue.
Good luck and keep us all posted!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Racer

^^^Thanks, I'll try my luck this coming weekend.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kevTL888
^^^Thanks, I'll try my luck this coming weekend.
Just my experience but fwiw I try not to take a car in for an issue that they can easily say "it's normal" during a long weekend. Everyone is looking forward to a long weekend and some just kinda lollygag around until their shift is over. Just my experience with previous cars.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dshahs420
Just my experience but fwiw I try not to take a car in for an issue that they can easily say "it's normal" during a long weekend. Everyone is looking forward to a long weekend and some just kinda lollygag around until their shift is over. Just my experience with previous cars.

i scheduled to bring it in next Tuesday. i spoke to the service manager, he said the last time they didn't unbolt the whole exhaust system, they just tried to tweaked it w/o removing the whole thing. but this time they will remove the entire exhaust system and bolt it back on, if that doesn't work then they'll probably go thru the replacing route, i hope. i was gonna ask them to file for a replacement right away but they said they have to give it a try before notify Acura for the replacement.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Kev,
Sounds like they are working the issue. Great!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Racer

brought my car in this morning and they called me same day afternoon said they fixed the problem. went to pick up my car, looked like the two exhaust outlets are evenly aligned now. but when i read the detailed paperwork when i got back home(should've read while i was at the dealer), it said the measurement now for both sides are 1.25 inches(from the bottom of the bumper i guess), whereas before the driver side was 0.75 in and passenger side was 1.25 in. i thought they supposed to use the higher side as the target so that both should be measured at 0.75 inch after the re-alignment. from naked eyes, it looks like the dealership has done a fantastic job, just the final measurements on paper puzzled me a bit, instead adjusting both outlets to 0.75 inch, i'm afraid they hung both outlets too low, but like i said it sure doesn't appear that way by looking at it.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Stand about 10 yards behind the car and look at the whole car, not honing in on the tips. The pipes should be pretty close to being centered in the cut out. It shouldn't be too close to the top so the system can bounce over bumps without banging the bumper. Sounds like they did the job. Enjoy!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PGSberg
Stand about 10 yards behind the car and look at the whole car, not honing in on the tips. The pipes should be pretty close to being centered in the cut out. It shouldn't be too close to the top so the system can bounce over bumps without banging the bumper. Sounds like they did the job. Enjoy!
yep, i called my SA yesterday, he said they used the same measurements took from the TLs they have on lot and they all measured in at 1.25 inches. so i guess before my driver side outlet was too high. overall i had a great experience at the dealership, they even gave me a loaner car without me asking.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TL's exhaust tips aren't even either... just noticed it a few months ago.

I still get kind of pissed about it, but I bet the dealership would make my issue worse.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Re-read this post. Kev's came out to his satisfaction. You won't know until you try to get it resolved. If it bothers you now it will continue to bother you. Get it fixed.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just noticed my drivers side is not even either!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by dshahs420
Lol!!! That seems to be the case everywhere!

Edit: Now that I think about it, When I looked at the back of our TL the other day I thought one of our tips was off, but I had been drinking heavily that day...well everyday.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 09-06-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
my passenger side exhaust pipe is about a 1/4" lower then the drivers side...it was really hard to see, but when i stuck 2 fingers inbetween the center of the exhaust tip and the bumper cut out, you can see there is a difference...

its not enough for me to take it to the dealer, its just not really noticable unless your are a complete o/c ahole like me...