Is it me or does Acura TL have more issues than most luxury sedans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Is it me or does Acura TL have more issues than most luxury sedans?

Okay guys, let me set the record straight. I love my Acura TL almost more than I do my wife.

Anyhow, I've noticed alot of issues that I've come acrossed since I've purchased my 2009 acura Tl w/tech package.

Seems like theres a lot of squeals, I hear a clunking noise around 80 mph, and the list goes on.

Don't you think Honda/Acura should've worked out all these issues considering how nice and luxurious this piece of machinery is? I think they need to put a little more time and effort in their engineering.

Thoughts? Anyhow, I'll still love and cherish what I've poured alot of my good hard earned money, just a little disappointing at times.

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Personally - I never buy the first year of a new release for any car. I got my 2010 and has been solid and mostly problem free (except for my 3rd gear issue).

There were a few thing in the 09 that they fixed in the '10 - like the rusting rotors for example.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
solely the reason why i got a 2010.

so far, i dont have any issues with the car as others do..

only thing i had was the rear headrest buttons (which was nothing really) and the fuse box, which was my fault due to that i put in LED courtesey lights without disconnecting the battery.

other than that, i dont have any creeking noises, or rattling like others have said, and my car rides smooth like butter due to that i have tein ss (which btw is wayyyyyy better than stock oem suspensions, i get to ride low and also have better ride quality)
Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 SHAWD-rusty rotors...Sorry dealer said its normal....oh well...My last Acura purchase unless the New NSX is a Beast and under 80K
Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
only thing i had was the rear headrest buttons (which was nothing really) and the fuse box, which was my fault due to that i put in LED courtesey lights without disconnecting the battery.
i got my brother to push the button to trip it into thinking the doors are shut. lol easier than disconnecting the batt
Old 01-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Acuras are notorious for having squeaks and squeals.

I got lucky-I don't have those issues.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
I had lots of rattles and creeks in my 2010. My 2012 has been solid and quite so far. Knocking on wood, but they have really improved the car for 2012. No issues, no creaks, no noises in the past 3 months i've had it. Lets hope it keeps up that way.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Minor electrical issues (blown speakers, power mirrors, etc.) are merely an inconvenience and not considered real issues IMHO.

Spun gears on a camshaft (3G SHO), now that's a problem.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:52 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
[quote=Pete2010;13459229]Personally - I never buy the first year of a new release for any car. I got my 2010 and has been solid and mostly problem free./quote]

^^^ I totally agree. I never buy the first year model of a new design and my 2010 has been great.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:26 PM
JLH
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura2010
I had lots of rattles and creeks in my 2010. My 2012 has been solid and quite so far. Knocking on wood, but they have really improved the car for 2012. No issues, no creaks, no noises in the past 3 months i've had it. Lets hope it keeps up that way.
Likewise, my '12 TL Tech has revealed no problems, whatsoever. I bought it March 26, 2011 and was one of my dealer's earliest deliveries, if not the first. I now have 6700 miles. No rattles, squeaks, grinding sounds that have been reported on earlier models, nor any of the other complaints reported by owners of the 2012 or earlier models.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
if you want to feel better - check out the bmw forum

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

just near the top of the page at the sticky titled : HPFP failure FAQ! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
I have had more problems with my 2010 TSX V6 than my 12 year old Honda Accord. Mainly rattles (about 5 different types that took me about a year to find and fix all of them).
Now there is a rolling noise that the dealer wasn't able to find yet, and shudder at low speeds (torque converter?).

So I feel that Honda products have not been as trouble-free as their reputation over the last couple of years.

German cars are notorious for small and large problems. I will try lexus next. (Has anyone see the new GS 350? It looks awesome)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb

just near the top of the page at the sticky titled : HPFP failure FAQ! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Yeah, I ditto that. Before Christmas was looking for a car for my son, and went on a Bimmer site to see what issues they had at about 100,000 miles, since I knew of all of the RL, TL, Odyssey, Civic and Accord issues. There were similar issues and they cost double to fix. Lots of people swearing off Bimmers to switch to Acuras, asking, "Why should we buy Bimmers when you can get a car almost as good for half the price at Acura?" The grass is always greener. I wound up buying a mint condition 2000 TL with 92,000 miles on it. It had 13 Car Fax entries, thought I was in trouble. All of them were on time maintenance intervals! Yeah!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i've had so many TLs, and no real problems... yea, there can be a little rattle or squeak here and there... but really?? the car is moving 30-70 mph, driving over bumps and rocks... its gonna be a little noisy

Own a Mercedes... yea, it wont rattle... but the electrical system will bug out, sensors will break. they dont handle that great..... interior is stale.... car isnt reliable... but so worth it right? especially at 2x the price

a friend of mine had a 2001 or 2002 CLS600.... Brand new, $130k car.... drives over a modest pothole... BANG-- all the air bags deployed.

id rather have a squeaky car, that i can rely on to go 25k miles a year, without ever failing on me... than a quiet interior

sorry to rant... but the main reason I keep buying Acura, is because its actually the most reliable of all luxury car brands
The following users liked this post:
Shellyduchsk8s (02-16-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Lol. You're hearing noises while DRIVING your car. Go buy a Bimmer so you can enjoy the noises driving their loaner cars back and forth to the dealer every 60 days or so.
The following users liked this post:
BLACKURA_NY (01-26-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO Acura deserves their reputation for quality and reliability. For example, Consumer Reports has an annual survey that they ask all their readers to fill out describing their current vehicles and any problems they have had with that vehicle in the last 12 months. They subsequently use that information for reliability reports that they publish in their annual car buying issue, which comes out in the fall every year. I fill my survey out and mail it in to them EVERY year, listing the good and bad of the vehicles i own, which includes my TL and three Toyotas (Highlander, Avalon, and Camry). The Acura TL scores among the highest in quality and reliability in the upscale sedan category every year. Now, every poll or survey has a certain degree of error factor built in to its model, but CR's methodology is one of the more unbiased and well done, IMO.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Advanced

Let me add that I do think the 3g TL had somewhat more than its fair share of squeaks and rattles, but i don't have any such problems with my 2012 TL. It seems really solid and is much more quiet on the road than my 2005 was.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
LOL, i hate when customer come in and complain about minor squeeks and rattles, grant it, its a new car, and it shouldn't....but metal on metal, plastic on plastic, plastic on metal, and etc....your gonna have a noise.... You own an acura so the issues you face are gonna be present, your gonna notice them, and your gonna complain, i understand, but that doesn't mean other companies dont have their issues....
Nissan= super oil consumption
Toyota= gas pedal/struts blowing out every 10k miles
Subaru= seats creeking/oil always leaking
mitsu= crank walking/oil leaking....etc...
Old 01-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb

If it wasn't for the HPFP issue in the BMW X35's, I would probably be driving a 535i instead of my TL. Fortunately that issue does exist so I bought the TL. I love it! I don't think I could've been any happier with any other car.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Fawkatitle.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid
but that doesn't mean other companies dont have their issues....
Nissan= super oil consumption
Toyota= gas pedal/struts blowing out every 10k miles
Subaru= seats creeking/oil always leaking
mitsu= crank walking/oil leaking....etc...
Are u speaking in general? Because some of the listings you have are old and the companies have addressed the issue(s).
Old 01-28-2012, 05:05 AM
TL lover

hey hey guys, dont be so discriminate. lol. i bought my 4G at november of 2008, no rattle and squeak tooo.please, glove box is only for registration and owner manual. Center box is for ipod,phone. side door slot is for bottle water. and in the trunk, rescue kit, and reserve water bottle. then no more rattle.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
lol yes in general, every car has their issues.....i guess its all part of the game
Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 TL good

2009 TL, FWD, Navpkg: quite an amazing car. Very fast, smooth, and it just goes, even with (only) all-season tires, winter and summer.

I liked my 2005 TL, despite needing the infamous tranny replacement, but the 2009 would blow its doors off.

Still can't say the transmission is the smoothest, but at least it works.

Blew a speaker.

The starter squeals as it disengages but the dealer has been unable to reproduce it.

Bought it lightly-used, "executive-driven". Chose Acura because of Honda's legendary reliability, vying with Toyota, and the auto magazines are still saying that.

Charles

Originally Posted by EazyRider562
Okay guys, let me set the record straight. I love my Acura TL almost more than I do my wife.

Anyhow, I've noticed alot of issues that I've come acrossed since I've purchased my 2009 acura Tl w/tech package.

Seems like theres a lot of squeals, I hear a clunking noise around 80 mph, and the list goes on.

Don't you think Honda/Acura should've worked out all these issues considering how nice and luxurious this piece of machinery is? I think they need to put a little more time and effort in their engineering.

Thoughts? Anyhow, I'll still love and cherish what I've poured alot of my good hard earned money, just a little disappointing at times.

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:05 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah I guess you have never owned a Mercedes or BMW because many of their models have issues galore.

Last edited by clpassenubye; 01-29-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Bmw's are great cars when you have the warranty to cover your but...that is why lots of people lease them. Without a warranty you are left yo your own devices. I have an 2002 330i and I have pumped so much money in it that I want to vomit. Lots of electrical issues....cooling system overhauls...window regulaters that last 6 months and major problems with the central locking system.(Locked out of my car and late for work...LOL) The car put a smile on my face every time I drove it...but it was only temporary. That said...all cars have issues. Some more that others and that's why I bought my Acura TL. It is a great car that won't Break My Wallet. Does it squeek? Yep....but it's not at the dealer all the time screaming for maintenance or new parts. Acura/Honda make cars that are proven to last without breaking the bank.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 AM
Intermediate

I have a 10 SH-AWD and the road noise is horrible. When riding on the highway if the pavement is uneven things placed in the car actually vibrate.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I bought my CPO 2009 SH-AWD in August. Aside from a few repairs the dealer overlooked, and eventually fixed, the car is amazing. Yes it has a few things that I don’t like about it, but hey, nothing is perfect. It’s a 2 Ton piece of moving mechanical parts, it’s going to rattle, it will make sounds, but you know what, I trust that it will last.

My last TL was a 1996, first year it came out. I sold it 3 years ago with 240K miles on it for $2,000. From Brand New to 240K that car only needed 2 repairs that were none standard maintenance or wear/tear. At 160k miles it needed a new starter, and at 170K it needed a new muffler. It sure rattled as it got old, the seals wore out and the cabin was louder, it aged gracefully. I had fun for almost 3 years in an S2000 and then decided to go back to the TL.

If my 2009 needs twice as many repairs as my 1996, and rattles just as much, I still consider it a quality luxury car.

Originally Posted by EazyRider562

Thanks in advance!!!!!
I'd hate to hear what issues you have with your wife.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by esco115
Are u speaking in general? Because some of the listings you have are old and the companies have addressed the issue(s).
At least he didn't complain about Toyota v6 oil gelling.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Cruisin'

I have a 2011 TL we purchased new. I tested everything available and chose this over BMW, VW, Infinity, or sorry I did not drive a Lexus.

I have some quirky issues with the car, and a lot of issue with the design of this vehicle. Looking back I would not buy it again, but then I don't know what I would purchase in it's place.

The key fobs are too big and the driver 1-2 key fob is an idiotic idea.
The button location of the lock/unlock button on the drivers door is hard to access.
The car has too darn many buttons period.
The font on the center screen does not match the font on the main instrument panel. The center screen needs more contrast.
The seats feel like bus seats, my 04 Monte Carlo was more
comfortable, so is my 08 Mustang Bullitt.
Paint work lack depth, for a car of this level and cost.
The downshift on the trans at 40 mph is way to strong.
The manual has almost as many pages is Obamacare.
Did I mention too much electronic buttons?

My car has:
A swishy steering wheel - Dealer says it is normal
I have a VERY annoying groan-drain-clacking sound in the engine while cruising @ 50 mph, get louder when hitting an upward grade.
Trans whines like a fricking cheapo car.
Tracking at time down a not so flat road sucks.

Did I mention too many buttons? LO

In my above post I have some typos and errors in grammar, I wanted to edit the post and correct these but cannot find an EDIT option.
Sorry for being sloppy.
sparx

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-29-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Three posts; two of them bitching in a weeks old dead thread. Yeah.....
Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Three posts; two of them bitching in a weeks old dead thread. Yeah.....
I would have started a new thread regarding the issues with my 2011 TL, but this Forum will not allow it for two weeks, dunno why but they are in charge.
sparx
Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sparx
I have some quirky issues with the car, and a lot of issue with the design of this vehicle. Looking back I would not buy it again, but then I don't know what I would purchase in it's place.

Somehow I think most of your complaints are pluses in my opinion. I still love this car and am so glad i bought it over the competition.

The key fobs are too big and the driver 1-2 key fob is an idiotic idea.

Not any bigger than most of the cars I drove and much smaller than on American cars. Also the seats, radio pre-sets, etc. all automatically adjust to whoever opened the door, I think that is one of the best features.

The button location of the lock/unlock button on the drivers door is hard to access.

If you setup the entry/exit functions based on how you use the car, you will probably never need to press that button again.

The car has too darn many buttons period.

I thought this at first, but after driving other cars, I have found it’s much easier and much less distracting to have a dedicated button for everything, rather than having to navigate through menus and multi-button clicks to do something while driving.

The font on the center screen does not match the font on the main instrument panel. The center screen needs more contrast.

Two different types of screens entirely. Also you can adjust the contrast.

The seats feel like bus seats, my 04 Monte Carlo was more comfortable, so is my 08 Mustang Bullitt.

Wow, I would love to ride the bus you ride. While the seats aren’t perfect, they are much better than the other cars I test drove.

Paint work lack depth, for a car of this level and cost.

Not sure what you mean. My paint looks pretty good I must say.

The downshift on the trans at 40 mph is way to strong.

It’s only a 5 speed, not much else you can do there.

The manual has almost as many pages is Obamacare.

This one made me laugh, and it’s funny because it’s true. Although I have to admit I did read it and learned a lot.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Cruisin'

Well 256,

My C5 corvette had a much smaller key fob and two driver memory, all I needed to do is press one button to have the seats mirrors etc. change to the driver in charge. We used one key fob for both drivers.

The TL seats just don't hug you, they are better in the 2012 model some.

I want to drive a car not a fricken dash board, the buttons are excessive and not positioned as well as they could be.

I will never finish reading that manual, nor would I consider it. I think there were 30 pages on child seats!

The paint on my 08 Mustang puts Acura's to shame as do many other brands, park side by side with some other cars and check the depth difference.

sparx
Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Racer

Well 256,

My C5 corvette had a much smaller key fob and two driver memory, all I needed to do is press one button to have the seats mirrors etc. change to the driver in charge. We used one key fob for both drivers.

The TL seats just don't hug you, they are better in the 2012 model some.

I want to drive a car not a fricken dash board, the buttons are excessive and not positioned as well as they could be.

I will never finish reading that manual, nor would I consider it. I think there were 30 pages on child seats!

The paint on my 08 Mustang puts Acura's to shame as do many other brands, park side by side with some other cars and check the depth difference.

sparx
You are comparing two sports cars to a sedan; I think that’s your first problem. Sports cars seats hug you for a reason, if you wanted a sports car, you should have bought one.

I rent cars for work, and in the past month I drove a Cadillac CTS, Lincoln MKZ, and Chrysler 300, and Infinity. All 4 had proximity keys, and all except the Infinity had a larger fob than the TL. So you propose they add more buttons? I think it’s quite nice to have everything adjusted before I get in the car.

If you don’t like the dash board why did you buy it? It has a lot of features, and I think they were smart in making them simple to use. I think the other problem is you won’t read they manual, they include it for a reason. Perhaps you wouldn’t have so many complaints if you read it and learned how it worked.

If I didn’t already have mine, I would gladly buy yours.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by emanon256
You are comparing two sports cars to a sedan; I think that’s your first problem. Sports cars seats hug you for a reason, if you wanted a sports car, you should have bought one.

I rent cars for work, and in the past month I drove a Cadillac CTS, Lincoln MKZ, and Chrysler 300, and Infinity. All 4 had proximity keys, and all except the Infinity had a larger fob than the TL. So you propose they add more buttons? I think it’s quite nice to have everything adjusted before I get in the car.

If you don’t like the dash board why did you buy it? It has a lot of features, and I think they were smart in making them simple to use. I think the other problem is you won’t read they manual, they include it for a reason. Perhaps you wouldn’t have so many complaints if you read it and learned how it worked.

If I didn’t already have mine, I would gladly buy yours.
No doubt I made a mistake getting this car. To be honest when you look for a new car sometimes you miss things. I did not realize the exact layout of the dash and the array of buttons during test drives.

The seats in the Infinity were superior as in other sedans I drove, even the Nissan Altima. I do like a sport seat better, you are correct on that.

I most definitely would have walked away from the Acura if I had hear the whiney trans, but I did not. Not sure why I did not hear it but that is history.

I will be going to another Acura dealer to have them address the whine in the trans and the moan-groan sound I have at 50 and cruising steadily. I have been looking here on this Forum to see if anyone else is having these issues, so far have found nothing as yet.

sparx
Old 04-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Racer

The seats in the Infinity were superior as in other sedans I drove, even the Nissan Altima. I do like a sport seat better, you are correct on that.

I most definitely would have walked away from the Acura if I had hear the whiney trans, but I did not. Not sure why I did not hear it but that is history.

I will be going to another Acura dealer to have them address the whine in the trans and the moan-groan sound I have at 50 and cruising steadily. I have been looking here on this Forum to see if anyone else is having these issues, so far have found nothing as yet.

sparx
Thats funny, I didn't like the seats as much in the the Infinities, I drove the G series, and I didn't think it went back far enough, so my knees were always cramped. I really liked the TSX seats, but they also didn't go back far enough. I test drove cars for about a year when I decided it was time to move from the S2000 back to a sedan. In all honesty, I didn't find any where I thought the seats were perfect.

You really should get the transmission looked at, I never experienced any sort of whine in mine at any speed. I also don't have a groan around 50. I do get a groan around 30 when it's in 5th and I lightly tap the gas, it tries to accelerate in 5th before downshifting. I find that annoying, and a lot of people have reported it.

What is amazing about the TL is how it does in the mountains. It handles so well on steep windy roads, its amazing! It actually corners at high speeds better than my S2000 did. I just wish it was a 6-speed.

Also, I am not sure why you have the steering sound you mentioned, I think you should get it looked at again too.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Cruisin'

Yes I intend to have these issues reviewed once more. I was not demanding at the Tempe AZ dealer last week when in for service for the first time. But I will not be "mr nice guy" for long.

I need to drive another 2011 that makes all the noises and has the same issue, if not time to fix the car. Car did all this from the first month of ownership and now is one year old with about 7800 miles on it.

I really did not come here to bash Acura, all companies have problems. But for the price of this vehicle I expect more. I see no reason for a trans making this noise, and this engine groan thing really has me puzzled. It should not be there to begin with but to have the dealer blow it off is unacceptable.

This was my 3rd Honda product over 3 decades, and the last.
sparx
Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Sparx, if you dislike the TL so much, just sell it ASAP. Then buy that perfect car that suits you most.

There is nothing worst in life than to drive around in a car that you are hating every single minute of it.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
2010 SHAWD-rusty rotors...Sorry dealer said its normal....oh well...My last Acura purchase unless the New NSX is a Beast and under 80K
Dealer repainted mine. They said it was a service bulletin for it. You might want to check around on that.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Sparx, if you dislike the TL so much, just sell it ASAP. Then buy that perfect car that suits you most.

There is nothing worst in life than to drive around in a car that you are hating every single minute of it.
I would take too big a hit, and secondly it is Acura's responsibility to repair these issues.

I don't drive the car much, my wife uses it 90% of the time. She has never stated she likes the car however. She is laid back on things and is rarely negative, so if she does not say she likes the car; then I know she really does not. I will pursue warranty with Acura until this is resolved. In the mean time I have my beater Vibe I drive and the Mustang.

One good thing is that she is driving a safe car. But if it should break down and strand her; oh boy, then the chit will hit the fan!
sparx

Quick Reply: Is it me or does Acura TL have more issues than most luxury sedans?