"Loose" front end

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
"Loose" front end

I have about 92k miles on my 09 SH-AWD and I'm starting to get that "loose" front end feeling that many cars get as they get more miles on them. You know...that feeling where the car just doesn't feel solid over bumps, etc. anymore.

Other than a rough spot on the road here and there, I have not hit anything to cause it to feel this way, so I'm thinking it is simply wear and tear.

I don't know much about suspensions, so don't beat me up here. How do I tighten front end up to original or better?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
At that mileage I wouldn't be surprised if your shocks/struts are worn out, it's a wear item. Time for some coils!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Could you describe the loose feeling a bit more?

Perhaps:
Disconnection/looseness between steering feel
"Floaty" front end
Exaggerated bouncing over bumps

Good chance its a combination of wear on the struts/springs and various bushings - I would wager replacing shock/springs would make a large difference.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
At that mileage I wouldn't be surprised if your shocks/struts are worn out, it's a wear item. Time for some coils!
Haha definitely time for some coils. Also changing all the bushings, tierod ends, and ball joints with a good alignment will make it better than new. Sounds like a lot of work but its not. Labor is cheap for that too. Good time to put in a camber kit as well.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by AlexG_6MT
Could you describe the loose feeling a bit more?

Perhaps:
Disconnection/looseness between steering feel
"Floaty" front end
Exaggerated bouncing over bumps

Good chance its a combination of wear on the struts/springs and various bushings - I would wager replacing shock/springs would make a large difference.
It is more about just not having that solid feel over bumps in the road, railroad tracks,etc. Nothing floating and not exaggerated bouncing.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Art unique
Haha definitely time for some coils. Also changing all the bushings, tierod ends, and ball joints with a good alignment will make it better than new. Sounds like a lot of work but its not. Labor is cheap for that too. Good time to put in a camber kit as well.
This^
Old 08-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
This^
HAHAAAA I love your signature. That guy is a joke. Anyway back to the OP...seriously change all of the above and the car will be a beauty once again. I would say Energy Suspension but who knows if they make stuff for our cars yet. Moog which is part of Energy Suspension makes tie rods and ball joints better than any car manufacturer and they have the best customer service. Goodluck and let us know how it goes. We will all be looking back at this thread a couple of years from now
Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^ Moog makes sway bar end links too.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Art unique
Any idea on where to get a parts list for this? I want to build it back to new. Not sure I need or want coils, depending on the price because I am going to do the timing belt and brakes at the same time.

Would love to get a parts list for the struts, shocks (or coils), "all the bushings", tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.