J37 Throttle Body studs

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
J37 Throttle Body studs

So I’m doing my J37 intake manifold and TB swap and I’m running into a little problem. Does anyone know if I can get studs that fit the TB from a hardware store instead of having to ordering them from Honda?
Old 11-14-2017, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why can’t you reuse the ones from your old IM? Put two nuts on the end of one and unscrew with the nut closest to the IM and it comes out.

Or you can just use 4 bolts. You don’t have to use studs at all, it just makes it easier to put the TB on. And you can def find the bolts at a hardware store.
The following users liked this post:
JakeF (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Or try BelMetric.com. They have a ton of metric studs of all kinds and sizes, and they give you the exact dimensions online. Good place.
The following users liked this post:
JakeF (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mada51589
Why can’t you reuse the ones from your old IM? Put two nuts on the end of one and unscrew with the nut closest to the IM and it comes out.

Or you can just use 4 bolts. You don’t have to use studs at all, it just makes it easier to put the TB on. And you can def find the bolts at a hardware store.
I actually ended up getting some studs for it. The old ones are in there pretty tight so I wasn't able to back them out using the trick with the nuts, was able to get the two studs for the EVAP purge valve out that way though. The old manifold and TB are back on the car for now anyway so some work can be done to the IM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeF
I actually ended up getting some studs for it. The old ones are in there pretty tight so I wasn't able to back them out using the trick with the nuts, was able to get the two studs for the EVAP purge valve out that way though. The old manifold and TB are back on the car for now anyway so some work can be done to the IM.
Yeah, I did have a hard time getting them out myself, but had an even harder time getting the evap ones out for some reason... I suppose some have more lock-tite than others...

Just an fyi, if your planning on installing the IM spacer at the same time, there are two studs in the runners that you’ll have to get out so you can use the longer bolts for the spacer.

Question... what do you mean by “some work can be done to the IM”? As in the TB studs???
Old 11-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mada51589
Yeah, I did have a hard time getting them out myself, but had an even harder time getting the evap ones out for some reason... I suppose some have more lock-tite than others...

Just an fyi, if your planning on installing the IM spacer at the same time, there are two studs in the runners that you’ll have to get out so you can use the longer bolts for the spacer.

Question... what do you mean by “some work can be done to the IM”? As in the TB studs???
I’m getting the runners ported and gasket matched with the manifold. I’m really trying to keep with adding power to the top end since there isn’t a lot in the low end anyhow.