Headliner rattle....

Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Headliner rattle....

after 2 years of living with it, i finally got up the nerve to pull the head liner down and take a look....

what a joke, the velcro clips rattle in their holders, and there is a magnet in the middle holding up the liner in the center...i padded everything up with some ept, and placed some padding along the edge and center of the liner to keep it from touching the roof obove the liner itself....

seems to be working for now....i also pulled down parts of the side where it runs along the moon roof, anywhere they put the velcro clips it rattles, the clips are loose in their holders so i ept'ed the shit out of everything
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
ept?

good job by the way!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by potmilkz
ept?

good job by the way!
honda calls it ept, its a black foam tape that they use to pad stuff up to keep the rattles down....i got some from the parts dept at the honda dealer....
Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vinnier6
after 2 years of living with it, i finally got up the nerve to pull the head liner down and take a look....

what a joke, the velcro clips rattle in their holders, and there is a magnet in the middle holding up the liner in the center...i padded everything up with some ept, and placed some padding along the edge and center of the liner to keep it from touching the roof obove the liner itself....

seems to be working for now....i also pulled down parts of the side where it runs along the moon roof, anywhere they put the velcro clips it rattles, the clips are loose in their holders so i ept'ed the shit out of everything
I think what you did was exactly what the replacement part is suppose to do. Add EPT. When you see a part replaced that means that there was a complaint and somewhere there is a service bulletin advising service managers what to do if someone shows up with a complaint.

83200-TA0-A02ZA LINING ASSY., ROOF *NH686L* (QP LIGHT WARM GRAY) Interior color: B-MEDIUM GRAY Replaced by: 83200-TA0-A03ZA

For expensive parts I am sure service advisors may have given you a hard time (like "change my entire transmission" LOL)... but for cheap and easy stuff that are not PITA they should have done that themselves under warranty.

Just a thought...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tonyware
I think what you did was exactly what the replacement part is suppose to do. Add EPT. When you see a part replaced that means that there was a complaint and somewhere there is a service bulletin advising service managers what to do if someone shows up with a complaint.

83200-TA0-A02ZA LINING ASSY., ROOF *NH686L* (QP LIGHT WARM GRAY) Interior color: B-MEDIUM GRAY Replaced by: 83200-TA0-A03ZA

For expensive parts I am sure service advisors may have given you a hard time (like "change my entire transmission" LOL)... but for cheap and easy stuff that are not PITA they should have done that themselves under warranty.

Just a thought...
i am not taking my car to the dealership so they can try to track down rattles under warranty....they just wont put the kind of effort that i am willing to do to fix it, plus, there is a chance they will mess something up in the process....
Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
i am not taking my car to the dealership so they can try to track down rattles under warranty....they just wont put the kind of effort that i am willing to do to fix it, plus, there is a chance they will mess something up in the process....
I hear you. I feel the same way 100000%. Its not that I want to, but past experiences have made me feel that way... with sincere apologies to all the good mechanics out there. What I do before I hand over the keys to the service manager is to walk around the car and inside and have him check it out for scratches, dents, and other stuff. He hates me for doing that LOL LOL.