Driver's Door Leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's Door Leather

So I went out to pick up some detailing products on Sunday, and when getting back into my car I noticed this:

So I called the dealer yesterday, and took it in today. They were friendly and gave me a RDX Tech loaner. Not bad, I like it more than the TSX, but it's definitely no TL SH-AWD.

4 hours later I receive a call from the service manager telling me that they tried to put the leather back into the panel, but it won't stay so they have to order an entirely new panel. Then he says they're on national backorder so there's going to be a wait.

Is anyone else in this same situation? For the part to be on national backorder, there must be a pretty decent amount of people with screwed up driver's doors.

I'm kind of frustrated over the situation, but maybe that's because it's my first time being in a situation like this.

How often should I call them back to stay on top of it if I don't hear from them? Every 2 weeks?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Normally if they order parts they will call you when it comes in and also usually send out a post card in the mail. If you don't hear anything within a week, give your service advisor a courtesy call.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Intermediate

Acura had a similar problem on a 96 Integra GSR that I had back in 1996. If I recall it took several weeks for the door panel to arrive at the dealership. Of course, the GSR was built in Japan so I suspect that door panel had to come from Japan.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
10th Gear

Here's the story with the backorder on the door panels:

I actually have the same issue that I am working to have resolved, however the dealer is compounding the matter on a weekly basis. Short version of the story is that they began shipping on the 30th of July and they should be available now. Check back with your dealer.
Reason for the delay is due to distribution errors...parts were packaged with in correct part numbers (ie: black leather door panels with white stiching were packaged as black leather with black stiching).

Beware however, these issues are pervasive with Honda/Acura of North America distribution. I had this same issue with my driver side door panel and when they replaced the door panel (after a mis-order), they tore the leather on my driver door armrest (and tried to cover it up). When I forced them to repair the leather arm rest on the driver door, Honda/Acura sent a passenger door arm rest with the part number of the drivers door arm rest on the box.

It is a mystery how a company could screw up such a simple process. It's not like these things are a bunch of 8mm and 10mm nuts in a bucket. It's right and left, black and white. SIMPLE!!!

Best of luck with the service; I'm sure the dealer will only compound the matter with their own levels of stupidity.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Sorry for not updating the thread.

They called me last Tuesday to tell me it was in, and scheduled me for Friday morning. I picked it up Friday evening and it's good as new. Even if I poke at it, the leather stays in just fine.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a similar leather issue just above the one in the picture. Not as bad but it is at the top where it curves. I also just noticed a pop out on my rear driver side door. That one is also near the top where it curves. About 1/4 inch of leather is out. I actually put some white glue in the crease and pushed the leather in tight and held it with some blue painters tape until it dried. I will post pics when I am allowed. I am new so I need some more posts and time on the board. I was here back in 01-03 when I had the 01 TL.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Racer

I also wiped any wet glue away before it dried and then let it sit overnight before I peeled the tape. It looks as good as new and the leather is tight and does not move or pop out. If anyone else notices this on their car it is a pretty easy fix and will avoid dealer hassles and have your car opened up to more possible problems while they try to fix it. It should not happen in the first place, but sometimes it pays to fix it yourself if you can.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Takehold66
I also wiped any wet glue away before it dried and then let it sit overnight before I peeled the tape. It looks as good as new and the leather is tight and does not move or pop out. If anyone else notices this on their car it is a pretty easy fix and will avoid dealer hassles and have your car opened up to more possible problems while they try to fix it. It should not happen in the first place, but sometimes it pays to fix it yourself if you can.
You my friend are a smart man and I applaud you for taking a simple matter into your own hands instead of probably creating a bigger one for yourself simply because you are "under warranty."
Old 08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
did you also notice that area isnt leather either...its a synthetic, just like everything else in the car with the exception of the seating surfaces...
Old 08-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Cheezes
You my friend are a smart man and I applaud you for taking a simple matter into your own hands instead of probably creating a bigger one for yourself simply because you are "under warranty."
Thank you. I always try to solve problems on my own first. I don't like anyone else touching my car unless it is absolutely necessary.