Creaky sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Moneyman2011

Creaky sunroof

Hey gang! Anyone have a creaky roof? I just noticed it this afternoon when I had the sun shade pulled back for the first time. It creaks regardless of if it is closed, tilted up or open. Sounds like my first official issue. Any thoughts out there in cyber land?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I am not sure exactly where your problem is coming from but I would rcommend that you take it to the dealership to have it checked. That bein said, one common problem with squeeky sunroof could be associated with rubber around the rood that get dry. Next time you wash your car, use a silicone moistened cloth and rub it on the rubber so it gets softer. I do that at least every month around my door rubbers and sunroof as well.

That MAY help....unless its something associate with the roof itself and then you will need the dealer's help and expertise.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Moneyman2011

Originally Posted by weather
I am not sure exactly where your problem is coming from but I would rcommend that you take it to the dealership to have it checked. That bein said, one common problem with squeeky sunroof could be associated with rubber around the rood that get dry. Next time you wash your car, use a silicone moistened cloth and rub it on the rubber so it gets softer. I do that at least every month around my door rubbers and sunroof as well.

That MAY help....unless its something associate with the roof itself and then you will need the dealer's help and expertise.

I will give that a try tomorrow morning. I appreciate the idea. It sounds almost metalic so it may be something more than that. I will likely make an appointment to see the dealer. Considering I hear it when the window is open, I am leaning on something being loose in the window frame.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Moneyman2011
Hey gang! Anyone have a creaky roof? I just noticed it this afternoon when I had the sun shade pulled back for the first time. It creaks regardless of if it is closed, tilted up or open. Sounds like my first official issue. Any thoughts out there in cyber land?
Yes! Mine is also creaky when the shade is pulled back and the roof is tilted. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but it drives me nuts. If you take yours in, let us know if there was anything the dealer could do to correct it.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Moneyman2011

Originally Posted by easheer
Yes! Mine is also creaky when the shade is pulled back and the roof is tilted. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but it drives me nuts. If you take yours in, let us know if there was anything the dealer could do to correct it.

Will do my friend.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:06 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too had a creaky sunroof (2010 SH-AWD Tech). Drove me crazy and ruined my love affair with the car. I took it to the dealer and explained the problem. As I sat in the dealership, I watched a service tech take it for a spin, come back, grab the service manager and head out again. The service manager came in, agreed 'we' had an issue and asked if I could wait while they affected repairs. They must have taken it apart 3 or 4 times, each requiring a test drive, until they locked it down.

The fix lasted approximately 2 months, then the noise returned - but not as bad. Interestingly, after going through the winter with the sunroof cover closed (live in Canada, it was a cooooold winter...), I noticed that the creaking has stopped.

I think it is a fairly common problem, as there was a thread last year on it. I suggest you take it in.

(I'm a new member to this site. You folks have a great forum! Helpful, interesting, and friendly - cheers!)
Old 04-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Moneyman2011

Originally Posted by minga
I too had a creaky sunroof (2010 SH-AWD Tech). Drove me crazy and ruined my love affair with the car. I took it to the dealer and explained the problem. As I sat in the dealership, I watched a service tech take it for a spin, come back, grab the service manager and head out again. The service manager came in, agreed 'we' had an issue and asked if I could wait while they affected repairs. They must have taken it apart 3 or 4 times, each requiring a test drive, until they locked it down.

The fix lasted approximately 2 months, then the noise returned - but not as bad. Interestingly, after going through the winter with the sunroof cover closed (live in Canada, it was a cooooold winter...), I noticed that the creaking has stopped.

I think it is a fairly common problem, as there was a thread last year on it. I suggest you take it in.

(I'm a new member to this site. You folks have a great forum! Helpful, interesting, and friendly - cheers!)

That is very interesting. When you say they "locked it down", what exactly did they lock down? I took a look at the mechanicals and everything looks to be in good shape, although I can move it very slightly by shaking it. I am wondering if injecting a little heavy grease in the window track could act as a buffer to any vibration? Thoughts?
Old 04-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Intermediate

mine starts doing it again after long winter... it was fine all winter, but i hear it again. even playing radio dosnt help really.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
I had this issue, and it drove me nuts. Mine sounded like a ratling noise from the roof area. Went to the dealer twice and didn't solve the problem. Finally, on the third visit, they had the car for 4 days. And they refused to give the car back until they solved the issue. Good service on their part. The had the whole roof liner taken down, and found that it really had nothing to do with the sunroof at all. The cross beams around the sunroof need adjusting, and some minor tweaks here and there. Finally, it's fixed. But not sure for how long. My TL is plagued with rattles, just noticed a new on from the rear deck again, only with certain music with deep bass, which was already addressed once. Going back in on monday.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Moneyman2011

Originally Posted by Acura2010
I had this issue, and it drove me nuts. Mine sounded like a ratling noise from the roof area. Went to the dealer twice and didn't solve the problem. Finally, on the third visit, they had the car for 4 days. And they refused to give the car back until they solved the issue. Good service on their part. The had the whole roof liner taken down, and found that it really had nothing to do with the sunroof at all. The cross beams around the sunroof need adjusting, and some minor tweaks here and there. Finally, it's fixed. But not sure for how long. My TL is plagued with rattles, just noticed a new on from the rear deck again, only with certain music with deep bass, which was already addressed once. Going back in on monday.

Well that is not comforting at all. I am going to try to MacGyver it with the grease in the window track, but if it does not work, to the stealer I will go.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
mine does it too...turn up the radio and crack the roof for some wind noice to drown it out...
Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
4th Gear

I remember that when I pushed up on the sunroof glass, the noise went away (can't remember where exactly I applied pressure). According to the dealer notes from "the fix", they first tried squeek tape, which they claimed helped but didn't stop the knocking/rattling. Then they took out the glass and found it didn't make the noise. They reinstalled the glass and "manually" adjusted the "roof brace" (no idea what that is) about 3 times until they were satisfied the noise was gone. Then they put the headliner back in (I'm glad I never saw how much they tore open the interior), cleaned up the mess and sent me on my way.

The noise was right above my head and it drove me crazy. I have a honda accord and the assembly looks almost identical - except no rattle. Leads me to think a lot of the noise issues in the car are from poor quality control during assembly. At least that is my 2cents...

I love the car though. Brilliantly engineered
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Moneyman2011

Originally Posted by minga
I remember that when I pushed up on the sunroof glass, the noise went away (can't remember where exactly I applied pressure). According to the dealer notes from "the fix", they first tried squeek tape, which they claimed helped but didn't stop the knocking/rattling. Then they took out the glass and found it didn't make the noise. They reinstalled the glass and "manually" adjusted the "roof brace" (no idea what that is) about 3 times until they were satisfied the noise was gone. Then they put the headliner back in (I'm glad I never saw how much they tore open the interior), cleaned up the mess and sent me on my way.

The noise was right above my head and it drove me crazy. I have a honda accord and the assembly looks almost identical - except no rattle. Leads me to think a lot of the noise issues in the car are from poor quality control during assembly. At least that is my 2cents...

I love the car though. Brilliantly engineered

Awesome, thanks!