creaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
creaking

On a separate note, has anyone experienced a creaking sound coming from the rear of the car (kind of behind the seat) when the frame is flexing? When i go up or down my driveway in a slant i get a metal stretching type of sound. i took my entire back seat out (seat/backrest) put tiny bit of joint lube on it, and nothing. i sat in the back while my brother drove, and its definitely metal stretching, not anything rubbing. I took the car into the dealer and they said they couldn't hear anything. My girlfriend is telling me im ocd and its got to be normal.

i'm i ocd? and is it normal? does anyone else hear it?

if no one else hears this, do you think it is a defect? can i get any resolution on it from a dealer? i might sound far off but could this be a lemon?

I'm a little worried about the sound because i feel a bit as if my frame is not well built or weak in some part of it.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by jpmunoz
On a separate note, has anyone experienced a creaking sound coming from the rear of the car (kind of behind the seat) when the frame is flexing? When i go up or down my driveway in a slant i get a metal stretching type of sound.
Yup, I've been complaining about the exact same thing happening, going up and down very slowing on my steeply inclined driveway. Took to one dealership, and they couldn't duplicate the problem (with me in the drive). No, I don't think you have OCD, or we both have OCD

Took it to a 2nd dealership, the tech was able to hear a little creak and applied some Shin-Etsu Grease along the rubbers of the sunroof and door. It's a little better, but I still hear the same creak. Not a killer problem, but bugs me a little.

I may have the 2nd dealership take a look at it again.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by docboy
Yup, I've been complaining about the exact same thing happening, going up and down very slowing on my steeply inclined driveway. Took to one dealership, and they couldn't duplicate the problem (with me in the drive). No, I don't think you have OCD, or we both have OCD

Took it to a 2nd dealership, the tech was able to hear a little creak and applied some Shin-Etsu Grease along the rubbers of the sunroof and door. It's a little better, but I still hear the same creak. Not a killer problem, but bugs me a little.

I may have the 2nd dealership take a look at it again.

to be quite honest i'm really disappointed. i might sound stupid, but the main reason i gave up my 08 type s was because it had lots of little creeks. i thought it might be a different story with a new one. I was wrong. and honestly for a 40k car, it seems sad that the frame makes noise. if you could pm me any success you might have id appreciate it.

It is no big deal, but after a stressful day sometimes i want to drive with no music, and to hear a creaking noise is not relaxing.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if this is a reassuring or not but my nearly 1 year old TL AWD is free and clear of any creaking or rattle. It is by far the most solid car I have owned and I have been driving for some while now.

I hope you can sort out this issue and get to enjoy the solid car that it is.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chaiwala
I don't know if this is a reassuring or not but my nearly 1 year old TL AWD is free and clear of any creaking or rattle. It is by far the most solid car I have owned and I have been driving for some while now.

I hope you can sort out this issue and get to enjoy the solid car that it is.
from what i can tell you don't have a 6mt. docboy and i do, could that be the reason?
Old 08-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
I've heard it since day 1 -- drives me nuts pulling out in the morning.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I doubt it's the 6mt because I have a 5AT and it creaks too.

While the TL has been a solid car for me, it does creak and rattle every now and then.

Of course my dealers never hear anything when I talk about it.
My driver side window creaks randomly when it's done rolling up and they said it was due to my tints..
I've replaced my front door speakers twice on both sides, and now it's rattling randomly. They found nothing..
My steering wheel has random rattles when turning and they couldn't figure out anything..
They even blamed me for the blown up speakers (a common problem on the forum) because my music was too loud.. I'm usually at a 4 or 6 and occasionally go up to 8 or 10.

I still take my car to the dealership religiously in hopes of getting something fixed someday.. love my car but rattles and creaks FTL
Old 08-27-2010, 06:18 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
FWIW, this also happened with my 3G after 3 yrs of ownership. I thought it was due to leaving it parked in the sun often (thankfully not anymore), but based on these posts it seems like a wear-and-tear issue with Acuras in general :
Old 08-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
Have to agree with a previous poster. My 6MT is solid as a vault. The best build quality of any car I've owned. I thought my Legend Coupe was solid, but this car is vastly better.

I've seen the threads before about pulling up steep drives and the like and have even turned the radio down to see if I detect anything.

So far, no peeps. Hope those of you with the problem can get it resolved if it's bothering you enough to pursue it.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed there is creak coming from the sunroof, comes on especially when I reverse out of the drive way with the sunroof cover in open position. There is no creak, however, when I close the sunroof cover.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Advanced

Rear Sway/Strut Bar. Well thats what it was in my case. Applied some lube and it went away
Old 08-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Instructor

on a different note, when i open all my windows with my remote i can't close the sunroof until i'm moving. its really weird. it closes up to about 3/4 then opens to 3/4. does this happen to anyone else, and is there a purpose? if it doesn't make sense try this.

press the lock button twice, holding on the second click. all your windows will then open. before moving the car try and close the sunroof.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808 Fifty-State
Rear Sway/Strut Bar. Well thats what it was in my case. Applied some lube and it went away
can you give me some instructions on how to get it and where to apply the grease? thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Just in case anyone is still following this post. I went to the dealer, told them they had to take my back seat out to hear the noise. It didn't seem as if they removed it because nothing was out of place. It could have just been a REALLY good clean up job.

In any case, they diagnosed it as a bad strut. They ordered the new part and will keep it for a few days this weekend. The service guy wouldn't let me speak to the mechanic, but said he heard the noise i spoke about and that is the repair. I'm no mechanic but i just can't see a bad strut making a creaking sound.

i hope it works. ill post once the work is done.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Please keep us updated. I wonder why he won't let you talk to the mechanic! I can talk to the shop foreman if I wanted to at my dealer.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Day two today. The mechanic called me and said hang tight. He told me they will need my car to the end of the week. He said they called Acura tech which is the corporate mechanic line i guess. He said even after replacing the strut the noise is there and another developed. They were told that it is the welding in the frame. So they are now gutting the back of my car to check welds.

I hope i don't get it back with duct tape and more noises.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Instructor

on a different note, when i open all my windows with my remote i can't close the sunroof until i'm moving. its really weird. it closes up to about 3/4 then opens to 3/4. does this happen to anyone else, and is there a purpose? if it doesn't make sense try this.

press the lock button twice, holding on the second click. all your windows will then open. before moving the car try and close the sunroof.
I'm having problems with the moonroof...see my posts under 'problems galore 09 tl sh-awd'. The vehicle is with the dealer and they are replacing the entire moonroof assembly and headliner. I do the same thing you do...as I am in a hot climate to let the hot air out. When I try to auto-close the moonroof from a partially opened position...it moves forward for a split second then goes into auto reverse. It works fine if I hold the forward button without engaging the auto close.

I'm picking up the car tomorrow...let's see how it goes. If the problem is still there...they get a third attempt to fix it and if they can't it becomes a lemon law claim.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Instructor

I have creaking from the front center console...started a couple weeks ago. It seems to come and go...haven't mentioned it to the dealer yet. Waiting to see if it gets worse.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neilman
I'm having problems with the moonroof...see my posts under 'problems galore 09 tl sh-awd'. The vehicle is with the dealer and they are replacing the entire moonroof assembly and headliner. I do the same thing you do...as I am in a hot climate to let the hot air out. When I try to auto-close the moonroof from a partially opened position...it moves forward for a split second then goes into auto reverse. It works fine if I hold the forward button without engaging the auto close.

I'm picking up the car tomorrow...let's see how it goes. If the problem is still there...they get a third attempt to fix it and if they can't it becomes a lemon law claim.
I'm calling an attorney tomorrow. I'm not wondering, if there is a problem with the welds that is making the metal stretching sound. Isn't that sever enough a situation to lemon the car? this is their second attempt at fixing this issue. i'm actually shocked they took me serious. the last time i took a mechanic he said he didn't hear anything but he would try again with him in the back seat when he worked on it.

did they give you an explanation of what was happening with your roof?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm noticing a sound, don't know if i should call it a creak. It's hard to explain, it's a creak and rattle at the same time. More when it's warmer. And for sure it's in the back. Sounds almost like the seatbelt buckles are hitting eachother, but they are not. It' really annoying....it's hard to explain, but bottom line is i have sounds from the rear of my car too! My car only has 14,000km on it! My 06 Altima SE-R had 160,000km on it and had developed one little rattle right before i sold it! WTF!! Dealership will look at it at my next service.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm calling an attorney tomorrow. I'm not wondering, if there is a problem with the welds that is making the metal stretching sound. Isn't that sever enough a situation to lemon the car? this is their second attempt at fixing this issue. i'm actually shocked they took me serious. the last time i took a mechanic he said he didn't hear anything but he would try again with him in the back seat when he worked on it.

did they give you an explanation of what was happening with your roof?
good luck...i get a kick out of all these people trying to lawyer...if the car bothers you that much, trade it in...
Old 09-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Instructor

They fixed it. There is a memo from acura on it. Its the new frame supports they use. They overlap by the rear deck and back rest support. They are told to stretch the metal and lube it. I will post the memo number when i pick up the car and get the repair report.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Instructor

did they give you an explanation of what was happening with your roof?[/quote]

They said it must have been something wrong with the tracking mechanism...which got replaced along with the entire moonroof. Tested it few times today and it seems fine now...I will need to keep testing over time.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

They fixed it. There is a memo from acura on it. Its the new frame supports they use. They overlap by the rear deck and back rest support. They are told to stretch the metal and lube it. I will post the memo number when i pick up the car and get the repair report.
Does this memo only apply to 4G TL's? Wonder if I can get the same fix done for my 3G...
Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 PM
7th Gear

Creaking

Lets see? u said when u go in to the driveway n its a hill, dude the car is gonna flex, it has to there is no way it cant brand nrw or 10 years old they all flex n make noise it has to happen there is no way it cant
Old 09-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sundancegoldcls
Lets see? u said when u go in to the driveway n its a hill, dude the car is gonna flex, it has to there is no way it cant brand nrw or 10 years old they all flex n make noise it has to happen there is no way it cant
Flex not make noise. You are incorrect.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by silverTL6
Does this memo only apply to 4G TL's? Wonder if I can get the same fix done for my 3G...
I'm pretty sure there was changes to the frame from 3g to 4g. The problem was int he supports. I don't think the supports are laid out the same. But i would give it a try.

I have a 4g by the way. despite my profile pic.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vinnier6
good luck...i get a kick out of all these people trying to lawyer...if the car bothers you that much, trade it in...
And you take a financial hit for Acura's problem!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Can you PLEEEEEEEEEZZZZE () post the memo when you get a chance? This could be the solution to the problem that I have been fighting for the past 10 months! I started a thread on the Main Forum about Acura Tech Line recommending that they split the weld and reweld it. It's the same area that you described. In my case they have to removed the back seat and mess with the seams near the back rest (where your lower back position is if you are sitting in the back but towards the door opening).
Old 09-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Cruisin'

I have 2010 TL SH AWD that I have had for 3 months and I experience the same creaking sounds. It seems to happen when the chassis flexes and more so when the temps are warmer outside.

I brought it in this morning to have it diagnosed.

They called me today and told me that they dropped the headliner from the car and are sending it out to a bodyshop to have it spot welded in the area there the two pieces of metal are rubbing against one another. They said they have seen it only a few other of their cars.

Could it be in only a few cars or am I just that picky about noises? Either way I should have the car back by tomorrow or Wednesday and I will post some follow up.

I am also surprised that Acura has not put out a TSB at this point. Maybe too isolated.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:51 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Can you PLEEEEEEEEEZZZZE () post the memo when you get a chance? This could be the solution to the problem that I have been fighting for the past 10 months! I started a thread on the Main Forum about Acura Tech Line recommending that they split the weld and reweld it. It's the same area that you described. In my case they have to removed the back seat and mess with the seams near the back rest (where your lower back position is if you are sitting in the back but towards the door opening).
+1

Please post the memo when you get a chance.

I too still have unresolved creaking noises going up/down inclines, driveways, etc.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by docboy
+1

Please post the memo when you get a chance.

I too still have unresolved creaking noises going up/down inclines, driveways, etc.
bulletin 08-083 the rep at the acura tech line is chris volk. Thats what the notes on my repair order says.

"called tech line-rep chris volk. remove rear shelf trim-remove bolts from support beam se chain lube-apply sparingly and wipe off excess protect interio from overspray. pry lightly at seams to allow lube to penetrate. wiper off excess lube before it dries-reinstall support beam bolts-retest drive to verify noise is gone-reinstall rear shelf trim and if applicable insulate 3rd brake light assembly as per bullentin 08-083..."

word for word. i can scan and upload repair order if it would help

the repair was done at island acura in wantagh ny. in case you need to reference it.

so far perfect. noise is completely gone. the mechanic said when he took the lining shelving, and seats out it was an "absurd noise".

Last edited by jpmunoz; 09-27-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:13 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

There's a TSB for '09 accords with the same number (do a google for "acura bulletin 08-083") which fixes a rattle in the rear shelf.

Wonder if your mechanic was referring to that one? The area being fixed seems a bit different though

Last edited by silverTL6; 09-28-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by silverTL6
There's a TSB for '09 accords with the same number (do a google for "acura bulletin 08-083") which fixes a rattle in the rear shelf.

Wonder if your mechanic was referring to that one? The area being fixed seems a bit different though
I'm not sure. i mean the repair order clearly said, "acura tech line" it even gave a representative name. full name. I think the supports are under the rear shelf.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info. It doesn't sound like they seperated the seam permanently but rather just enough to allow the lube to go in. It may be "close but no cigar" in my case. I will take that bulletin number to my dealer and see if it's related.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Cruisin'

Follow up

Got my car back yesterday after a day and a half with the dealer and problem solved!

The gave me a copy of the Acura tech line repair procedure, which I would be happy to post here, but I dont seem to have the ability to do so.

Basically they used a nail to separate two panels of the roof rail that were rubbing together.

If anyone would like a copy I can email it to them.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Took my car to Acura yesterday as the temps were warm. Noise was loud, tech drove the car with me, and he heard it and said "it's pretty nasty". He said he thinks it's coming from the headliner area. Can't be sure. He said it will take a while to fix. They have booked me in for Monday, and will give me a car for the day. Hope they fix this issue. Other than that, car is great. I'll update you guys once i get the car back.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Instructor

took it the dealer today, the technician couldn't locate bulletin 08-083. Is there another number?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by eliteUA9
took it the dealer today, the technician couldn't locate bulletin 08-083. Is there another number?
i posted the acura tech full name, the work was done in Island Acura, in wantagh, ny. maybe your mechanic can try and figure out what was done that way.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you have the creaking/clack sound coming from roof area, read this thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/possible-service-bulletin-roof-rattle-2010-sh-awd-tech-770435/

I printed it out and brought it to my Acura dealer after the second failed attempt to fix the issue. They used the info to finally fix the problem and it has been fine since.

Quick Reply: creaking