Cracking. bubbling in paint? and rust spots

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracking. bubbling in paint? and rust spots

Hey guys, first post here

So I purchased a 2011 CPO TL last week and I noticed couple of cosmetic flaws on the car.

this one seems like a crack? in the paint (rear fender). The area around the crack seems like it is bubbling also.

rust from rock chip?

There are two little rust spots on the side (edge) of the door on the drivers side.

Should I report these problems to the dealer?
I am wondering if I can get these problems fixed under a warranty.
I have only owned the car for a week and I dont think these rust/cracking can happen in such a short period of time that I have owned the vehicle.
I am pretty sure these things were present before I purchased the car and I am pretty upset that I didn't notice these before purchasing.
Also how did this car pass the CPO inspection with these things?!?

Also, if I leave the damaged area like this, would it get noticeably worse over period of time? even with car washing/waxing?

thank you guys!
Old 07-02-2014, 01:17 PM
keep it clean

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Based on the photos you provided the crack looks like it may be a paint flaw or damage that occurred with previous owner. The bubbling is probably a result of the cracked paint. As for the rust spots, they look like normal wear and tear that should have been treated with touchup paint a long time ago.

Leaving any of these issues for a prolong amount of time can introduce bigger paint issues in the future. I am not sure if this are covered under warranty, but doesn’t hurt to bring it to the dealership to see what they can do to help. In addition, I would ask how this passed CPO inspection, just like you mentioned.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:36 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
The cracked paint doesn't look like factory paint.

It looks like the area has been repaired and prepped poorly before being repainted.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:09 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
I have the same colour TL as you and had a similar chip like your second pic. I taped around it and used a sanding block to remove as much rust as I could without damaging the rest of the paint. Cleaned it off and sprayed some rust killer on it and then some touch up paint on it!

I also have a chip where the front fender meets the bumper and they put touch up paint on it without removing the rust. I may have to sand that part out and reapply.

You may have a case with the bubbly part but not so much with the actual chip. Regardless, take it to the dealer.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
Take it to dealer ASAP. I had a cracked fog light housing that had rust damage inside of it. I didn't notice it until I was washing car. I only had the car for a week so the rust won't have been that bad in a week. They paid for the repairs.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Cruisin'

ah, so I will take car to the dealer tomorrow.

I am really not sure how good the dealer's service is but hopefully they will pay for the repair.
This is our family's second vehicle from the same dealer so I hope thats a plus, also the salesman was really nice as well.

but thanks for your reply guys! will keep you guys updated.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Cruisin'

oh yeah..and there seems to be RANDOM little black paint dots in some areas of the car. I thought they were some kind of dirt at first but it doesn't come off and it seems to be under clear coat.
This is surely not normal right? It seems like our same silver color RDX doesn't have that.

ugh this is getting frustrating and it seems like I am finding different cosmetic flaws everyday. Maybe next time I shouldn't even consider CPO vehicles.

I will post the picture if i can tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

I totally understand that you want it to be perfect. I had it detailed before I got it so it hid/fixed any surface problems. It is amazing what a pro can do. In Canada, you can exchange with 7day/1000 km.

http://cuv.acura.ca/inventory/mobile/about
Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

Okay, so I visited the dealer and the only thing I was told was that the bubbling spot will "not rust".

I am pretty sure that the salesperson said that because he doesn't want to be responsible for it, now that he sold the car.

The dealer said they will still sand it down and repaint it for me but I am not sure if I want them to do it...
Some of the touch-ups that they did on some other spots of the car are pretty terrible (it seems like they used large brush of some sort..) and the color matching looks terrible as well.

So I am thinking about just leaving it alone because its a fairly small part and is not really noticeable. If I let them touch it, they are definitely going to make it worst/noticeable with different color paint.

So should I leave it alone or should i let them work on it anyways? I gotta give them a call tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:45 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
If it is rust under the surface, it will spread like cancer!
I would get it fixed one way or another.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Originally Posted by yang.joonyong
Okay, so I visited the dealer and the only thing I was told was that the bubbling spot will "not rust".

I am pretty sure that the salesperson said that because he doesn't want to be responsible for it, now that he sold the car.

The dealer said they will still sand it down and repaint it for me but I am not sure if I want them to do it...
Some of the touch-ups that they did on some other spots of the car are pretty terrible (it seems like they used large brush of some sort..) and the color matching looks terrible as well.

So I am thinking about just leaving it alone because its a fairly small part and is not really noticeable. If I let them touch it, they are definitely going to make it worst/noticeable with different color paint.

So should I leave it alone or should i let them work on it anyways? I gotta give them a call tomorrow.
That ain't cool. Tell dealer it better be good or else...
Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Cruisin'

look how terrible these touch ups are..
and they are saying they did pretty "good" job on it

i'm assuming a visit to another dealer won't help since I did not purchase my car there?
geez, next time I'm making sure I'm purchasing a new car..sick of going through something like this.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

You need to escalate this with Acura Customer Service (Corporate). The is a terrible job. Get crappy service now and they will lose customers....
Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Cruisin'

I visited the dealer again yesterday after going to service department for audio problem (but thats another story) and spoke with the used car sales manager. He told me that the area would not rust and guaranteed that if it ever rusts, he will let a body shop take care of the problem. I really don't trust him tho..haha

Even people at the service checked it out (people at service department was super nice btw) and said that it might rust! Told the manager at the dealer and I was told "the service department doesn't know what they are talking about. I deal with all the body shops and stuff". He was also talking to me as if I didn't know anything, which was a little offensive.

Regarding the touch ups, the manger told me that they will have someone clean up the area with a terrible job, plus, go around the whole car touching up wherever its necessary. But I don't think I am going to let them touch my vehicle ever again. Looking at the jobs they already did, they are just going to make it worst/make the touch up spot bigger, etc.

So for now I think I'm just going to leave the car as it is, forget about it (hopefully) and not do anything because another visit to dealer will just shorten my life.. lol
IF the rusts or whatever gets worse I will just bring it in to trusted body shop who can actually do things "right".

So thanks for all your help guys! Next time, I will make sure to buy a new car..lol My first CPO and this shall be my last. My dad really wants to trade in his RDX for MDX but never going back to that dealer again. Oh well.

Oh yeah, and I called the corporate and I was told they can't do anything about it because they just "manufacture" the vehicles..BS
Old 07-11-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That has to be the worst touch up I've ever witnessed. Pretty sure my 7 year old can do a better job.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:33 PM
Cruisin'

true..look how much they painted OVER the original paint.
ridiculous lol i will prob try to clean it up myself later i guess.

for now..i just don't try to notice it lol