Bouncing after shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Scotch

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Bouncing after shifts?

Why does my 2012 FWD bounce front to back after the 1-2 & 2-3 shift? It is relatively subtle and I don't feel it on the higher gears. The car has 100k miles amNd is new to me so I'm not sure when it started.
It does it almost every time under light to medium throttle. It's almost like there is extra gear play somewhere or kinda like on a manual when you get on and off the gas.
Any ideas? Does anyone else have this?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I was having, and still sort of have, the same issue. Check your transmission fluid. If it's been awhile, even if only 20-30k miles, you will start encountering this symptom. I changed the transmission fluid three times, and this did improve on it by a noticeable amount. One thing that did not go away was that gear play feel when I lightly step on the gas while cruising at low speeds in 5th gear. You can hear a decently loud knock, as if it's hitting gear backlash.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:24 PM
Scotch

The Acura dealership changed it just before I bought the car. The level looks fine. I am going to do a full fluid exchange this weekend with Redline D6 and see if that helps.
After that, I may try swapping out the engine mounts.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:20 PM
Scotch

Old 01-09-2016, 08:24 PM
Scotch

I did the fluid change by pumping out a gallon, refilling, pumping another gallon out, then refilling again. It seemed to go well and is shifting better now. I used a mix of D6 and Racing ATF. I am still getting the bounce after shifts though.
Also, I successfully installed a Magnefine in the stock filter location but had to bend the bracket a little. It works well.
For reference, the fluid output is the fitting that points towards the radiator and the input connects with a short hose to the filter.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
did you check the engine and transmission mounts?
Old 01-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Scotch

I have visually inspected them and don't see anything obvious - no tears or leaking fluid that I can tell. I suspect they could be causing the bounce, but I don't see anyone else that has seen this and fixed it with the engine mounts. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has had this. Please let me know if anyone has repaired the bounce with the engine mounts.
I don't want to just throw parts at it, plus changing those isn't a walk in the park or cheap...
Old 01-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
scottn3, I don't know anything about the magnefine filter you installed in your transmission cooler supply/return line. However, when i replaced my filter due to the "gurgling sound" i heard on some cold starts, i replaced my stock filter with a stock replacement through ACURA/HONDA. I took my old filter and cut it open to see if any bad debris was in the filter. What i found when i cut the filter apart is a spring and check valve looking setup. Don't know why this was designed this way but i would be concerned with replacing the filter with a non-stock without understanding why the stock filter was designed this way. FYI......
Old 01-12-2016, 08:03 AM
Scotch

Thanks for pointing that out. Are you sure it is a check valve or could it be a bypass mechanism in case it gets clogged? Do you have any pics?
Old 01-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Scott,
Very well could be a bypass valve. Makes sense, wouldn't want the transmission to overheat just because the filter got clogged. I threw away the filter so I don't have picture. My filter could have been starting to clog which resulted in the gurgling sound at cold startups.
I have the maintenance manual ordered for this car since it is out of warranty and should have it next week. Will let you know if there is any info on the guts of this filter when I get it.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:06 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did any of you guys figure this "bounce" out? I just bought a 2013 FWD Tech. Didn't notice it til after purchase but it does this bounce from 1-2 and 2-3 almost 85% of the time, being most noticeable from 1-2. Now that I'm "looking" for this bounce to happen at every acceleration, it's getting annoying. Can't pinpoint if it's tranny or mount or something else all together. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Depending on the 2012 Model and all 2013+ models, Acura started using a new style torque converter that is supposedly 2-stage. My dealership told me that it's normal for the newer torque converters to "bounce" as you guys have described it. I've had it for as long as I remember with moderate to heavy throttle shifts, but on light shifts it's buttery smooth.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:01 AM
Advanced

Would be nice if the dealer had given me that information. I've had it to the dealer twice for this and they can't seem to figure it out. This is something new to me. I have an 05 RL and an 09 MDX and both accelerate perfectly. Obviously they don't have this 2-stage converter that you are speaking of. I guess I just expected this '13 TL to be at least as smooth. I almost feel like I lose power when accelerating because it does this "bounce". It was colder today and I actually felt it more and even a bounce or 2 when the tranny was downshifting. Like I said, I just bought this a couple weeks ago and I have a 4k/4 month on it so if there is something wrong, I need them to take care of it ASAP. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by nynruas
Would be nice if the dealer had given me that information. I've had it to the dealer twice for this and they can't seem to figure it out. This is something new to me. I have an 05 RL and an 09 MDX and both accelerate perfectly. Obviously they don't have this 2-stage converter that you are speaking of. I guess I just expected this '13 TL to be at least as smooth. I almost feel like I lose power when accelerating because it does this "bounce". It was colder today and I actually felt it more and even a bounce or 2 when the tranny was downshifting. Like I said, I just bought this a couple weeks ago and I have a 4k/4 month on it so if there is something wrong, I need them to take care of it ASAP. Thanks for the info.
Take the car to Acura for the free software update and fluid flush!
The following users liked this post:
nynruas (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 11:33 PM
Advanced

Scheduled for the 14th. Will give you guys an update afterwards...thanks.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by csmeance
Depending on the 2012 Model and all 2013+ models, Acura started using a new style torque converter that is supposedly 2-stage. My dealership told me that it's normal for the newer torque converters to "bounce" as you guys have described it. I've had it for as long as I remember with moderate to heavy throttle shifts, but on light shifts it's buttery smooth.
Do you know what '12 models would have the 2-stage TC? Is it a VIN range? It would be cool to know for sure so I can quit worrying about it.

I have a 2012 Base FWD. It bounces mostly after the 1-2 shift and less so on the 2-3 shift everyday when leaving my driveway and when I leave the neighborhood at the light. It's more noticeable when the car is cold.

The dealer can't reproduce it and says everything is normal. I did the 3X drain and fill myself with DW-1 at 30,000 miles a few months ago with no change in the behavior. I also changed the inline filter with a Honda OEM part at the same time.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:34 PM
Advanced

Dealer did a tranny flush and it seems to help alot. I can still feel a tiny bit of the bounce from 1-2 and 3-4 BUT they gave me a '15 TLX loaner and it did almost the same thing. I think it could be the TC and us new guys are just not used to it. I can feel it but trying to live with it. I still like my 05 RL's responsiveness better though. Might give my son the '13 TL and take my '05 RL back..lol.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:34 PM
Advanced

Dealer did a tranny flush and it seems to help alot. I can still feel a tiny bit of the bounce from 1-2 and 3-4 BUT they gave me a '15 TLX loaner and it did almost the same thing. I think it could be the TC and us new guys are just not used to it. I can feel it but trying to live with it. I still like my 05 RL's responsiveness better though. Might give my son the '13 TL and take my '05 RL back..lol.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:17 AM
Advanced

UPDATE: Ever since the tranny flush, it has increasingly been improving now to where I don't even notice the bounce anymore. The motor and tranny seems really responsive now and I think I'm going to stick with it and let my son keep the RL....lol.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:18 AM
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by scottn3
Why does my 2012 FWD bounce front to back after the 1-2 & 2-3 shift? It is relatively subtle and I don't feel it on the higher gears. The car has 100k miles amNd is new to me so I'm not sure when it started.
It does it almost every time under light to medium throttle. It's almost like there is extra gear play somewhere or kinda like on a manual when you get on and off the gas.
Any ideas? Does anyone else have this?
It’s just Honda transmissions. I’ve had two installed by Acura and I still have that same gear play from 1-2 gear.