Acura TL Lemon

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL Lemon

I got my money back after going through the lemon law process here in FL for the moonroof malfunction that Acura could not fix. There were many other issues with the vehicle as noted on my prior posts...however the moonroof was the one that could not be repaired after numerous attempts. When using the keyfob to unlock the car and roll down the windows, the moonroof would be about half way open, then I would try to auto-close it via the inside switch and it would start closing and a second later go back to open. I did not want to be stuck with this problem that could get worse after the lemon law / warranty period expires so I went through the lengthy required bbb them lemon law hearing process. Acura was pretty arrogant and did not offer any settlement thinking the board would rule in their favor i.e. that this was not a substantial impairement. Well...the board agreed with me that it was a substantial impairement to 'value' and 'use'.

Any questions...let me know. I'm done with Acura and have no intentions of purchasing any Honda / Acura product again. I know many of you have great experiences with Acura ownership, and I had a blast too while I had it. In my personal opinion they are a victim of their own success and are declining in quality and service. Service overall from the dealership and Acura was terrible.

It was a 2009 TL-SHAWD.

Thanks!

sunroof sun roof moonroof moon roof
Old 09-05-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
good that your situation went well

but i think you just got a really bad one out of the batch..

what is your next car?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by potmilkz
good that your situation went well

but i think you just got a really bad one out of the batch..

what is your next car?
Uh that is the definition of a lemon...
Old 09-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Neil, sorry to hear you had so many problems, but I'm glad you got your money back. It's a shame you have a bad taste in your mouth about Honda/Acura, but I understand why.

I agree-I think it was an isolated incident and you just got a bad car. I've had 2 Honda Accord (4 doors) and a 3G Type S and couldn't be happier. They're safe, reliable and run and run and run.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Neil, sorry to hear you had so many problems, but I'm glad you got your money back. It's a shame you have a bad taste in your mouth about Honda/Acura, but I understand why.

I agree-I think it was an isolated incident and you just got a bad car. I've had 2 Honda Accord (4 doors) and a 3G Type S and couldn't be happier. They're safe, reliable and run and run and run.
Thanks Steven. Acura's unwillingness to accept responsibility only made matters worse and unfortunately things had to turn out the way they did.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by neilman
I got my money back after going through the lemon law process here in FL for the moonroof malfunction that Acura could not fix. There were many other issues with the vehicle as noted on my prior posts...however the moonroof was the one that could not be repaired after numerous attempts. When using the keyfob to unlock the car and roll down the windows, the moonroof would be about half way open, then I would try to auto-close it via the inside switch and it would start closing and a second later go back to open. I did not want to be stuck with this problem that could get worse after the lemon law / warranty period expires so I went through the lengthy required bbb them lemon law hearing process. Acura was pretty arrogant and did not offer any settlement thinking the board would rule in their favor i.e. that this was not a substantial impairement. Well...the board agreed with me that it was a substantial impairement to 'value' and 'use'.

Any questions...let me know. I'm done with Acura and have no intentions of purchasing any Honda / Acura product again. I know many of you have great experiences with Acura ownership, and I had a blast too while I had it. In my personal opinion they are a victim of their own success and are declining in quality and service. Service overall from the dealership and Acura was terrible.

It was a 2009 TL-SHAWD.

Thanks!

sunroof sun roof moonroof moon roof
dont blame you at all..Acura sucks after the sale
Old 09-21-2011, 06:55 PM
5th Gear

Lemon

That is a bummer as Acura is a fun car to drive. I think tht was probably an isolated incident and I'm gload you stuck it out. I thought they would be better with customer service than that. I still have an 09TL and am getting out of it but it was the nicest car I have driven.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
I'd say I probably would have handled it in the same way; sorry to hear about your troubles.

In spite of what anyone might say about how great their dealership experiences have been, they're ultimately just in it for the money, and know that in most cases, once they've got it, there is minimal ROI for extra effort post-sale.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Advanced

Wow, Cant belive all the problems I am hearing with Honda products lately. My family and I have had a dozen hondas all great cars, my 06 TL has had some problems, first it was the MT not going into second or third gear properly all the time. Acura replaced the synchro's under warranty. Have a problem with the car burning oil, then last month the spark plug blew out of the hole, had it repaired, blew out again. I have no faith that this engine is 100% and am afraid to drive it on long distance trips. This goes against every single honda experience we have had over the past 20 years. Since I lost confidence in this car I was looking to get a 2010 TL. Not after reading all the problems with the Gen 4 cars. UNBELIEVEABLE how bad Hondas seem to have gotten.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by chris288
Wow, Cant belive all the problems I am hearing with Honda products lately. My family and I have had a dozen hondas all great cars, my 06 TL has had some problems, first it was the MT not going into second or third gear properly all the time. Acura replaced the synchro's under warranty. Have a problem with the car burning oil, then last month the spark plug blew out of the hole, had it repaired, blew out again. I have no faith that this engine is 100% and am afraid to drive it on long distance trips. This goes against every single honda experience we have had over the past 20 years. Since I lost confidence in this car I was looking to get a 2010 TL. Not after reading all the problems with the Gen 4 cars. UNBELIEVEABLE how bad Hondas seem to have gotten.
sorry about your bad 06 tl. im a 2010 tl owner, and i have yet to have any issues with my car. not to say that some owners have had complaints. but i feel that can happen with all makes/models of autos. my 2005 tl 6m/t had trouble sometimes going into 3rd gear smoothly. had i kept it, i was planning on doing a tranny fluid change.

the 4g tl is an awsome car,
Old 12-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tl3430
sorry about your bad 06 tl. im a 2010 tl owner, and i have yet to have any issues with my car. not to say that some owners have had complaints. but i feel that can happen with all makes/models of autos. my 2005 tl 6m/t had trouble sometimes going into 3rd gear smoothly. had i kept it, i was planning on doing a tranny fluid change.

the 4g tl is an awsome car,
I agree it can happen with any make/model...question becomes does the manufacturer step up to make it right for the customer...and that's where both the dealership and Acura failed from my perspective. That's the main reason I would not give them my business again and also why I chose a refund and not a replacement vehicle. This was my first Honda / Acura ownership experience...and in my opinion they did not make a real effort to try and keep me as a long term customer for repeat purchases. Well that's ok...I have a family of 5...and we'll be buying a lot of cars and giving our business to other manufacturers.

I still miss the car...it was an amazingly fun ride...solid power kick specially at take off from a standing start with the awd, nice engine roar, tight ride and agility. And although the style was controversial...for my personal taste it was a real homerun (09-11). Felt like I was driving a 'concept' car or an exotic 4 door sports car. I loved the mean 'get the f... out of the way' look and wide stance.

Last edited by neilman; 12-03-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-03-2011, 02:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by neilman
I agree it can happen with any make/model...question becomes does the manufacturer step up to make it right for the customer...and that's where both the dealership and Acura failed from my perspective. ....

NEVER expect the manufacturer to "step up and make it right".

Ford Pinto anyone?

Or even better, the Ford Explorer/Firestone tire fiasco. Blamed each other until a recall was forced on them. Then Ford took the now-unsellable-vehicles in inventory and shipped them to Brazil, as is, to be sold as new. Nice.

Honda/Acura MT 3rd gear problems, 2G TL AT, etc., etc., etc., same kind of deal.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:24 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
^^^^^ Let's be fair.

As for the 2G TL/CL 5AT tranny problem, it was a product design fault, and thus there was no quick fix to it. The only permanent fix is to convert the mechanical throttle to a drive-by-wire throttle, which is utterly non feasible due to the extend of all the upgrades/changes.

However,

Honda DID voluntarily extend the factory warranty coverage on the auto tranny to 7-yrs/100K miles.

Honda DID try it's best on fixing the tranny problem by continuously releasing revisions after revisions of remedy fixes over the years.

Honda DID partially reimburse TL/CL owners, on a case by case basis, the cost of replacing dead trannies even when out-of-warranty.

Honda DID at least try to "step up and make it right".

Please give credit where credit is due.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

Please give credit where credit is due.

It took a class action law suit to get them to "step up and make it right".

For that matter, and more to my point, google "Honda class action lawsuit" and look at the bottom for "related searches".

NEVER expect the manufacturer to "step up and make it right".
Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
^^^^^ Let's get the time line straight.

(1) It was Honda first who VOLUNTARILY extended the tranny warranty coverage to 7-yrs/100K miles BEFORE the class-action lawsuit.

(2) Then in response to the class-action lawsuit, Honda further extended the tranny warranty coverage to 7.75 years.

(3) No longer restrained by the class-action lawsuit, Honda still reimbursed partial repair bills on a case-by-case basis for out-of-warranty tranny repairs, out of goodwill.

I don't need to search and I don't need to Google. Because I was one of the many 2002 TL-S owners who received all the paperwork on tranny warranty extensions and class-action lawsuit; and went through the 2G TL/CL tranny nightmare, as it unfolded from begin to end.

So for this 2G TL/CL tranny issue, Honda DID try hard to "step up and make it right".
Old 09-08-2012, 05:16 PM
10th Gear

Hello everyone.... i have been having many problems with my 2012 acura tl..

I took my 2012 tl back to the Dealer, They change the propeller shaft again and it is still making the same noise!

Besides that below are all the things that have been fixed/replaced on this car in its first year.

They changed the Rack n pnion, Changed Gear box in the steering wheel box.

Fixed the sunroof twice because of noise.

Added some foam tap in the back widsheild from some wierd noise.

Went back because of some noise in the Front area.

Fixed something in the trunk that was making some more tapping noise.

Changed the signal switch shwitch.

Changed the Propeller shaft Twice...! and still not fixed!

Do you think this is a LEMON? If so what should i do to take this to the next level. The car still has problems and its driving me crazy. I feel like they sold me a lemon....Please help, with any advise....
Old 09-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
car problems suck, but lets not forget the human element. There are good dealerships out there, so be prepared to put in a few more miles to get to a good one. Read the reviews online, and post your own when they suck.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Noman2006
Do you think this is a LEMON? If so what should i do to take this to the next level. The car still has problems and its driving me crazy. I feel like they sold me a lemon....Please help, with any advise....
What we think doesn't matter much as far as whether or not your car is technically a lemon. Each state defines a 'lemon' legally.

If you think you have a lemon, Google "Lemon Law YourState". You should get plenty of hits, including Lemon Law lawyers in your state who can advise you on whether you have a case or not. 1st meeting/review is usually free.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Noman2006
Hello everyone.... i have been having many problems with my 2012 acura tl..

I took my 2012 tl back to the Dealer, They change the propeller shaft again and it is still making the same noise!

Besides that below are all the things that have been fixed/replaced on this car in its first year.

They changed the Rack n pnion, Changed Gear box in the steering wheel box.

Fixed the sunroof twice because of noise.

Added some foam tap in the back widsheild from some wierd noise.

Went back because of some noise in the Front area.

Fixed something in the trunk that was making some more tapping noise.

Changed the signal switch shwitch.

Changed the Propeller shaft Twice...! and still not fixed!

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
What we think doesn't matter much as far as whether or not your car is technically a lemon. Each state defines a 'lemon' legally.

If you think you have a lemon, Google "Lemon Law YourState". You should get plenty of hits, including Lemon Law lawyers in your state who can advise you on whether you have a case or not. 1st meeting/review is usually free.
Yep. I was just going to type this same thing out.

Each state differs, so familiarize yourself with your state's lemon laws. For example, in AZ, part of the lemon law states that a dealership has three attempts to rectify a single issue with a new vehicle. If they cannot fix the issue after three attempts, the vehicle is considered a lemon. I am not sure where you are, but it sounds like everything is being fixed on the first attempt which may not qualify you to be protected by your state's lemon laws.

FWIW, if you do qualify for protection under your state's LL, be prepared for a fight. It was touched on above, but I can definitely say that Acura is a real bitch to deal with and they will absolutely fight you every step of the way. Acura is extremely warm and fuzzy until they have your money. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the feed back. I am in the state of NY. I have a problem with the drive shaft on this car where it makes annoying whistling noise. They changed the drive shaft twice within a month but the problem remains. I am going to go back and schedule another appointment for this. If it don't get fixed then I think this a lemon.

I will read about the lemon law in NY thanks.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Go for it!!

I say absolutely GO FOR IT!! You have nothing to lose (it will take up quite a bit of your time though). Find out the lemon laws of your state and follow the process. Here in FL, I was required to go through a BBB arbitration hearing first before the case could go to the lemon law board.

Even though I lost the BBB review...I pursued it further and won in the end when it got to the lemon law board. The BBB review actually helped me prepare and get all my ducks (service records, timeline, facts, written communications, etc) in a row for the lemon law board. I even took my laptop to demonstrate videos of the problem...and WON!! Got my money back.

Acura and the dealer pissed me off enough to want to fight them to the end. All the best...
Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^ Let's get the time line straight.

(1) It was Honda first who VOLUNTARILY extended the tranny warranty coverage to 7-yrs/100K miles BEFORE the class-action lawsuit.

(2) Then in response to the class-action lawsuit, Honda further extended the tranny warranty coverage to 7.75 years.

(3) No longer restrained by the class-action lawsuit, Honda still reimbursed partial repair bills on a case-by-case basis for out-of-warranty tranny repairs, out of goodwill.

I don't need to search and I don't need to Google. Because I was one of the many 2002 TL-S owners who received all the paperwork on tranny warranty extensions and class-action lawsuit; and went through the 2G TL/CL tranny nightmare, as it unfolded from begin to end.

So for this 2G TL/CL tranny issue, Honda DID try hard to "step up and make it right".
I too had an 02 TL (non typeS), and I had 4 trannys put in it. Everytime Acura stepped up to the plate and repaired it and gave me a rental. That said, I was so worried about it that I traded it in for and 04 MDX. I also had a problem with my 1998 Accord V6, tranny which was well out of warranty, and they paid for 50% of same. I have found my Hondas (I have had a lot of them), very reliable and Honda stepping up even when they dont have to. I love my Hondas. Best Honda was the 1992 Accord EX-R. Drove that for 10 years and over 200,000 miles with no issues. It was hard to give it up, for the 02 TL of all tihngs. My 10 TL has been great.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:45 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am sorry to hear that and hope your next vehicle will serve you better. This has become an ongoing problem for most of the manufactures. They all want your money, but whenever there's problem, they do their best to avoid taking responsibilities. I have seen people become helpless and stressful when dealing with car problems over the years. My last Acura, back in 2004, had a brake squeak issue which they attempted to fix for more than 6 times over my first 3 years of ownership. At the end, I had to figure it out myself my replacing the rotors myself. At that point, I was very disappointed with Acura and left to another brand.