Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Please read my new thread!
It explains the outcome and resolution.

ALSO, 3.7 SH-AWD OWNERS READ THIS NOW!

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem.../#post15241616
Old 11-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally got a video of the screech. Hope you guys can hear it. This is an 09 base TL...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr89gdl6mu..._0025.MOV?dl=0
Old 11-21-2014, 07:06 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
^ sounds like the tranny filter under the battery tray. But to be certain, please re-shoot the video and start the car after you buckle up so that the seat belt alarm won't interfere.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tonyware
^ sounds like the tranny filter under the battery tray. But to be certain, please re-shoot the video and start the car after you buckle up so that the seat belt alarm won't interfere.
Ok, finally remembered to shoot the video before turning on the car (I kept forgetting!).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/csnx99jllz..._0075.MOV?dl=0
^^I hope you guys can hear it.

A new problem has popped up though....All the buttons on my head unit don't work. It's stuck on bluetooth right now. I can change the source from the steering wheel but not the actual controls. Nothing works aside from the volume.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gemz_acura
Hey Everyone!
I'm sorry for the delay in posting the video.
It was a crazy weekend!
You may also view the video here. (Click)

If anyone has any ideas what this sound may be, please enlighten me.
I'm always open to ideas! Thank You

Gemz, my 09 sh awd just started making this exact same noise last week and I mean ur sound clip is my car exactly, had me baffled. I thot was the belt area also. Been searching for something on this and came across your post. I bought it in chicago back in july from McGrath acura and it was certified so I get the 12/12 wrnty. I dropped it at my local dlr in Indianapolis Thurs and they gave me an ILX also yuck. I asked for a TLX but they said we only have 2 in the loaner fleet and they are always gone o well. Besides the 35mpg I get I can't stand it. Anyhow, they called yesterday to say they had tried all day to replicate the sound and the tech heard it once, starter bad and replacing under wrnty. Said it should be done today. I nvr have chkd the oil tho. Now I wonder if I should be concerned? Haven't noticed any smoke tho, wife has been behind me a few times and hasn't noticed any... haven't had oil changed since I bought it but the MID has yet to say change it. SA Has told me I don't need to worry about any maintenance until it tells me. I may call and ask them to change it, Trans and dif fluids... I dunno.

I will say this car doesn't like the cold tho. Starter noise happened once it got in the 20's. Then in morning drives to work in cold, start car, turn on lights.. they dim on dash.. well the headlight, fog and I think cruise indicator lights will go from dim to bright like as if I'm turning headlights on and off. Happened every 30 seconds give or take a few iirc. Didn't mention to dlr because it's only done once. Can't imagine wth causes that.

Another issue I had 2 weeks ago was the pass window when I'd hit auto roll up it would immediately go back down. So dlr replaced regulator. I take home and roll window down then auto up and same damn thing but instead of doing 50/50 now it did it worse 10 times I tried and 10 times back down. However window wasn't in track right, it'd go up and then cock back when fully closed. So called them next day and they rescheduled me for y I took it back in Thursday oddly enough that window only screwed up night I brought it home. Day after and just b4 dropping at dlr it would go up everytime, weird. SA swears it's window tint causing lol. That starter noise began a week ago so when I dropped off I added it to the list. I get the impression that they don't care for wrnty folks.... based on how the asst mgr was complaining about others lol. I'm thinkin hmm sounds like me. Well I'm sorry the damn car has one and that acura cpo'd it but don't treat me like garbage because of it.

Sorry for the long story book comment...
Old 12-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mjakaz06TL

Another issue I had 2 weeks ago was the pass window when I'd hit auto roll up it would immediately go back down. So dlr replaced regulator. I take home and roll window down then auto up and same damn thing but instead of doing 50/50 now it did it worse 10 times I tried and 10 times back down. However window wasn't in track right, it'd go up and then cock back when fully closed. So called them next day and they rescheduled me for y I took it back in Thursday oddly enough that window only screwed up night I brought it home. Day after and just b4 dropping at dlr it would go up everytime, weird. SA swears it's window tint causing lol. That starter noise began a week ago so when I dropped off I added it to the list. I get the impression that they don't care for wrnty folks.... based on how the asst mgr was complaining about others lol. I'm thinkin hmm sounds like me. Well I'm sorry the damn car has one and that acura cpo'd it but don't treat me like garbage because of it.

Sorry for the long story book comment...
In my experience, it's better to take your car in for scheduled service like an oil change and also mention any problems. That way at least they're getting paid for something...that's when they take my problems seriously. Otherwise, if you take it and they try replicating the problem they will charge you for the mechanic's time (happened to me before).
Old 12-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Nabooly
In my experience, it's better to take your car in for scheduled service like an oil change and also mention any problems. That way at least they're getting paid for something...that's when they take my problems seriously. Otherwise, if you take it and they try replicating the problem they will charge you for the mechanic's time (happened to me before).
I agree. Good point. I did call them this morning and had them add an oil change. Going to have the Trans and rear dif serviced first of the yr.. SA quoted me about 260 for both to be done...

So update... I got a call around 130 today saying car is rdy, oil change done, starter replaced and something I forgot to mention... I had the interior door trim coming out, dunno how else to explain it rly. There is a tsb for it. Well anyhow both front doors, the leather trim was coming out so they repaired drivers side 2 weeks ago but somehow forgot pass door. So they fixed it also. I went in an hr after the call to turn in the ILX and get my car. Take the car seat out and put in mine, pain in the ass lol. Then look at repair on pass front door..... omg... there is dried white glue smeared all around the area the leather trim was coming out... sloppiest crap job I've ever seen. So sitting in pass seat I just put head down and get angry. Wife asks what's wrong. I point n say look at this shit... she says wow, walked over to service mgr, he came over and threw a fit lol. He was pissed.... went and got some cleaner attempted to clean off to no avail. Says well shit, I can't clean that or fix it. I'm gona call the guy who repaired it. So he did and guy is gona come out Tuesday somehow remove white smeared glue off a black door!

So anyhow, he says well I'm so sorry, go ahead and take the loaner back... I said ummm u got anything besides that ilx? It's just too small. He says anything u want. I say tlx he said got none. Just then a guy pulls up n the new RLX loaner to return, I say I'll take that lol. He says done... and damn, that thing is niceeee! So, so far I've had a new mdx fully loaded, an ilx and now the rlx. Love the RLX headlights and the exterior door handle leds...
Old 12-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mjakaz06TL
I agree. Good point. I did call them this morning and had them add an oil change. Going to have the Trans and rear dif serviced first of the yr.. SA quoted me about 260 for both to be done...

So update... I got a call around 130 today saying car is rdy, oil change done, starter replaced and something I forgot to mention... I had the interior door trim coming out, dunno how else to explain it rly. There is a tsb for it. Well anyhow both front doors, the leather trim was coming out so they repaired drivers side 2 weeks ago but somehow forgot pass door. So they fixed it also. I went in an hr after the call to turn in the ILX and get my car. Take the car seat out and put in mine, pain in the ass lol. Then look at repair on pass front door..... omg... there is dried white glue smeared all around the area the leather trim was coming out... sloppiest crap job I've ever seen. So sitting in pass seat I just put head down and get angry. Wife asks what's wrong. I point n say look at this shit... she says wow, walked over to service mgr, he came over and threw a fit lol. He was pissed.... went and got some cleaner attempted to clean off to no avail. Says well shit, I can't clean that or fix it. I'm gona call the guy who repaired it. So he did and guy is gona come out Tuesday somehow remove white smeared glue off a black door!

So anyhow, he says well I'm so sorry, go ahead and take the loaner back... I said ummm u got anything besides that ilx? It's just too small. He says anything u want. I say tlx he said got none. Just then a guy pulls up n the new RLX loaner to return, I say I'll take that lol. He says done... and damn, that thing is niceeee! So, so far I've had a new mdx fully loaded, an ilx and now the rlx. Love the RLX headlights and the exterior door handle leds...
Well jeez that sucks. That is absolutely unacceptable. Glad the service manager was on your side. I wonder what the technician was thinking (or smoking for that matter!)?? But yeah I agree about the RLX; despite some nasty reviews it is a nice car....wouldn't buy one myself but I'm sure the ride is excellent.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Well just got my TL back from the dealer. They put in a new starter; but there's no way for me to know for sure that the screech is gone. It's abnormally warm here, so I'll have to wait for a cold day to come along. I hope it's fixed though.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering was the issue resolved after the starter was replaced? My TL is doing the same thing.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:47 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine has been doing that since new.....more than 100,000 miles on it now. Does it in the winter and it is more pronounced when it is below 0F. It is not an issue. Enjoy the car and don't get all bent out of shape because of a sound that doesn't affect anything.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
my tl also does this on cold starts for a second noticed on some cold days well seems that its the start from what OP is saying ill keep and eye on it.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:53 PM
2nd Gear

I just got my car back from the dealership and it definitely was the starter. No more screech under 40 degrees!
Old 12-14-2020, 02:51 AM
4th Gear

Thanks so much for this post. Im experiencing the same issue and I thought it was my timing belt/tensioner, saved me alot of $$.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
My 2014 TL has developed the same noise. Does anyone know if power-train warranty covers this?