4G leather seats bunching up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
4G leather seats bunching up?

Anyone having issues int he 4G, and in particular with AWD car, with the leather left side thigh bolster starting to bunch up and wrinkle? I have seen this look like it was starting on a few showroom cars and had this problem on my 08 Type-S, was wondering if I get a SG-AWD to expect th same issue.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why?.....is it a deal-breaker for you, Keith?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Why?.....is it a deal-breaker for you, Keith?
No but it gets annoying, the dealer will swap out the leather first time withour question, but after that it is up to Acura, my passneger seat in the Type-S I just sold was literally folding over on itself after 3 months and there is rarely anyone in it, they replaced it and added some padding which helped, but it started folding again. I wonder if they just don't fit the leather to the seat frame tightly enough.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine has some wear already, more like wrinkles than folding over. The leather is much more taught than before, but the AWD Tech seats have very soft leather. You have to keep it very conditioned. But it's only happening to my driver seat where I sit, so no one sees it. The rest of the car is fine even with the occasional passengers.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
the leather acura is using is weird. Its really soft and supple, but then because of it, it falls apart! the old 04-06 TL and 01-06 MDX leather was good enough and didn't fold and crease as bad as the new leather interiors.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I don't know yet out my 09 leather. I agree it is soft and supple. My 04 leather imo didn't feel as nice. I can't say I was impressed w/ the 04's leather - mine had plenty of creases. Parchment in the 04 showed every flaw as it wore/aged.
I'll reserve judgement on the 4G leather for now
Old 01-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey Keith, if you're only leasing it for 3 years or so, why does it matter?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey its his money. if he does not like the seats bunching up so be it.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Hey Keith, if you're only leasing it for 3 years or so, why does it matter?

Becasue I am not sold on the lease yet. I may buy again. I'm not sure I can hold out anywhere near 3 years, hell last 5 cars were less that 12 months old when I sold them

And the Type-S leather at 3 months looked worse than my 04 TL did when I got rid of it after 2 years and 30K miles.

Last edited by KeithL; 01-19-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kobi2002
hey its his money. if he does not like the seats bunching up so be it.
Nobody asked you.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KeithL
Becasue I am not sold on the lease yet. I may buy again. I'm not sure I can hold out anywhere near 3 years, hell last 5 cars were less that 12 months old when I sold them

And the Type-S leather at 3 months looked worse than my 04 TL did when I got rid of it after 2 years and 30K miles.
Keith, if you're that unsure about the 4G, it might be better for you if you could somehow arrange a long-term "rent" with your dealer.......say about 2-3months....this way you have plenty of time to see if the car really suits you and you could just walk away if you're not completely happy. (Several years ago, when my uncle nearly totalled his car, he was able to arrange his dealer to rent him a demo car for over 2 months).
Old 01-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Keith, if you're that unsure about the 4G, it might be better for you if you could somehow arrange a long-term "rent" with your dealer.......say about 2-3months....this way you have plenty of time to see if the car really suits you and you could just walk away if you're not completely happy. (Several years ago, when my uncle nearly totalled his car, he was able to arrange his dealer to rent him a demo car for over 2 months).
I'm sure I'll liek the TL, not sure I'll love it like my Type-S. I'm more not sure if I can stay with any 1 car for 3 years. I'm thinking Acura may bring back a true Silver for the 4G and they I'll want to dump whatever I'm in for that as Palladium Metalic looks a little bland and muted compared to the old Alabaster Silver. I love the ride of the 4G and the interior grows on me more and more (still not a fan of the cheap cluttered control buttons) and even the exterior is looking good, if they only had a real silver I woudl be all over it. The long term rent I'm sure they woudl do, just not in a AWD model. My dealer is bending over backwards to help me, that is another reason I want to stay Acura. I have a long term relationship with this dealership, have gotten to know the owner, and so on. If I jump to G37 I have to start that process all over again.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my TL for about 6 months now~leather started to do this-Took it to the dealership and they were Awesome replaced the passenger side...I will agree this leather is not the best quality
Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had the leather on my 06 drivers seat replaced. They did it without any hassle and did a good job. That was maybe 6-9 months ago, I take good care of my leather, I condition it and keep it clean. It's already starting to happen again. On the other hand my wife has an 01 accord ex that is treated like sh*t, her leather is perfect. Her leather isn't as soft, but it still looks good with over 100k on it.

Dave
Old 01-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Cruisin'

The leather in my new TL is much nicer than the leather in my '04. The old leather seemed waxy while the new leather is very very soft. I have my car wash guy apply leather conditioner and it is very nice.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
it is leather after all....i dont think you can find a car at any price that has leather with out some kind of wrinkles or creases in it....try and find a pair of leather shoes that doesnt do the same thing....its a natural thing for leather to show this kind of charitaristics...
Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

acura leather has always been funny to me. It has never compared to my bmw leather
Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ssmtl2nv
acura leather has always been funny to me. It has never compared to my bmw leather
Its because BMW cars all have real premium leather, Every other semi luxury car companies such as Honda and Acura use genuine leather (not exactly leather) to keep cost down. That's why a 5 series will cost about $15k more than a TL, it's quality.

I own a 550i fully loaded and like it, but for some reason I love the my 4G TL. It reminds me of my very first car, 3G TL.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the seats, if they get damaged just buy new ones, that's what theyre there for, to be used. Just make sure you clean them and condition them at least once a month, I like the BMW leather care, it works well.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vinnier6
it is leather after all....i dont think you can find a car at any price that has leather with out some kind of wrinkles or creases in it....try and find a pair of leather shoes that doesnt do the same thing....its a natural thing for leather to show this kind of charitaristics...
I understand leather will wear, but I mean in my Type-S the leater was litterally folding over on it self, like the leather was never sized right for the seat, like it was too big, so as it got sat on it woudl fold over instead of just crease or wrinkle.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by NYSH-AWD
Its because BMW cars all have real premium leather, Every other semi luxury car companies such as Honda and Acura use genuine leather (not exactly leather) to keep cost down.
So...you're saying that Honda and Acura get their "genuine leather" from what, fake cows?
Old 01-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I understand leather will wear, but I mean in my Type-S the leater was litterally folding over on it self, like the leather was never sized right for the seat, like it was too big, so as it got sat on it woudl fold over instead of just crease or wrinkle.
Its a very soft leather, almost kid glove leather so it stretches easily....not the best choice for a car seat.

I have had leather is both regular & premium cars going back into the 1960's & the TL has the worst leather for eveyday use that I have ever encountered.

Great impression in the showroom, not so great 10K miles down the road.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Instructor

The leather gets 'bunched' up because us white guys clench our butts while we drive!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

Its because BMW cars all have real premium leather, Every other semi luxury car companies such as Honda and Acura use genuine leather (not exactly leather) to keep cost down. That's why a 5 series will cost about $15k more than a TL, it's quality.

I own a 550i fully loaded and like it, but for some reason I love the my 4G TL. It reminds me of my very first car, 3G TL.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the seats, if they get damaged just buy new ones, that's what theyre there for, to be used. Just make sure you clean them and condition them at least once a month, I like the BMW leather care, it works well.
bmw does not come standard with full leather....they do the same thing as everyone else and use leather just for the "seating surface"....however, bmw does offer an upgraded leather interior which is full leather....
Old 01-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BeckyBoo
So...you're saying that Honda and Acura get their "genuine leather" from what, fake cows?
you misunderstood him...honda/acura and most other companies use leather just in the seating surfaces, and not the bolsters and other places....your armrest isnt leather either...its vinyl....
Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vinnier6
you misunderstood him...honda/acura and most other companies use leather just in the seating surfaces, and not the bolsters and other places....your armrest isnt leather either...its vinyl....
Then he should have said that they use leatherette or leather inserts only on the seats.

"Honda and Acura use genuine leather (not exactly leather)"
Beckyboo did not misunderstand him...He misspoke.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DrEvil777
Then he should have said that they use leatherette or leather inserts only on the seats.

"Honda and Acura use genuine leather (not exactly leather)"
Beckyboo did not misunderstand him...He misspoke.
its common knowledge that most companies use leather just on the seating surfaces...
Old 01-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Who cares what the exact name for the fake leather is, the fact is, it's not the same quality and that's why certain car makers are able to offer leather as a standard option while keeping cost at a minimum.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Pro

Who cares what the exact name for the fake leather is, the fact is, it's not the same quality and that's why certain car makers are able to offer leather as a standard option while keeping cost at a minimum.
I'm confused about your distinction between "premium leather" and "genuine leather." Are you trying to say that BMW offers leather throughout the entire interior, while Acura only offers leather on seating surfaces?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JD23
I'm confused about your distinction between "premium leather" and "genuine leather." Are you trying to say that BMW offers leather throughout the entire interior, while Acura only offers leather on seating surfaces?
All I'm saying is that you get what you pay for.... Notice how the leather is on the Accord and compare it to the leather on the TL. The TL is also about $14k more than a V6 accord. Obviously you're not going to compare the quality of a $70k fully loaded 550i to nearly half that a TL cost and get upset that it's not the same quality! That's all I'm saying, whatever the name of the materials they use on either cars is irrelevant, the fact is it's not the same quality hence one will wear out sooner than the other IMO.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody asked you.
Your the funniest guy on this site. Your so
Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kobi2002
Your the funniest guy on this site. Your so
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

All I'm saying is that you get what you pay for.... Notice how the leather is on the Accord and compare it to the leather on the TL. The TL is also about $14k more than a V6 accord. Obviously you're not going to compare the quality of a $70k fully loaded 550i to nearly half that a TL cost and get upset that it's not the same quality! That's all I'm saying, whatever the name of the materials they use on either cars is irrelevant, the fact is it's not the same quality hence one will wear out sooner than the other IMO.
I used to have a '05 BMW 545i w/"Montana" leather....BMW's leather (like on most German cars) is usually very thick, tough, and quite durable......so tough in fact that at times, esp. in winter, it feels almost "plastic" and quite uncomfortable. I would sometimes put bikes and other heavy items in the back seat of my BMW and the leather didn't even flinch. I'm leasing my TL so I don't really care what happens to the leather.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Advanced

I used to have a '05 BMW 545i w/"Montana" leather....BMW's leather (like on most German cars) is usually very thick, tough, and quite durable......so tough in fact that at times, esp. in winter, it feels almost "plastic" and quite uncomfortable. I would sometimes put bikes and other heavy items in the back seat of my BMW and the leather didn't even flinch. I'm leasing my TL so I don't really care what happens to the leather.
Finally someone who's owned a BMW before and can relate to what I'm saying! You're right on though, the leather on BMWs (most of them) is so thick that at times you'll get hot without turning on the seat warmers.

IMO, I preffer the leather on the TL because of it's softness... Do I think it'll outlast the BMW leather? Only if taken extra care of.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
One side (closest to door) on the driver side of my TL is bunched already...the other side (closest to center divider) is perfectly smooth and like new...its weird and noticeable to me
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RoyalBlue09
One side (closest to door) on the driver side of my TL is bunched already...the other side (closest to center divider) is perfectly smooth and like new...its weird and noticeable to me
That happend to both my Type-S cars and same on side closet to passengar door on my second Type-S, it actually started folding over on itself.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Racer

No but it gets annoying, the dealer will swap out the leather first time withour question, but after that it is up to Acura, my passneger seat in the Type-S I just sold was literally folding over on itself after 3 months and there is rarely anyone in it, they replaced it and added some padding which helped, but it started folding again. I wonder if they just don't fit the leather to the seat frame tightly enough.
My dealer didnt swap mine out, they just kinda told me to deal with it
Old 01-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by ssmtl2nv
BMW leather is much more durable, at the expense of it being harder and less soft like the leather in newer acura's. I think BMW's leather is a slight step above the one in the 04-06 TL's. And I mean the 131,000 dollar BMW car leather.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,261 Likes on 2,632 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Its a very soft leather, almost kid glove leather so it stretches easily....not the best choice for a car seat.

I have had leather is both regular & premium cars going back into the 1960's & the TL has the worst leather for eveyday use that I have ever encountered.

Great impression in the showroom, not so great 10K miles down the road.
2005 TL with Camel interior driver's seat. Looks pretty good for 4 years and 43K miles. That light spot in the middle seat bottom is the reflection of the sun off a mirror.

A few creases, but overall it's wearing pretty good, not sure what you do in your TL but your comment of TL seats not being great after 10K miles is an exaggeration IMHO. The thing I use on the seats is McGuires leather cleaner/conditioner.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,261 Likes on 2,632 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
BMW leather is much more durable, at the expense of it being harder and less soft like the leather in newer acura's. I think BMW's leather is a slight step above the one in the 04-06 TL's. And I mean the 131,000 dollar BMW car leather.
, my brother's had five BMW's and his 1988 M6 has very nice leather. Even the headliner is leather (may have been a factory option).

I find it's hard to compare today's leather to years past since from what's I've read the modern stuff with it's top coats and UV protection last much longer.

The leather in my wife's 2003 Pilot although a little stretched still looks good (not showroom new but great for it's 133K miles and 7 years of use including abuse from kids).
Old 01-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Instructor

I'm not a huge fan of Zaino's paint care products...but their leather cleaner and conditioner work well and smell amazing...

If the seats are really soiled I will use Woolite and water with a scrub brush and that makes them look really clean...just be sure to condition them afterwards.

Quick Reply: 4G leather seats bunching up?