2013 TL 2nd Torque Converter replacement in less than a year!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 12:37 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2013 TL 2nd Torque Converter replacement in less than a year!!!!

So I bought this car last June from a used car dealer with 48k miles. During the test drive It felt it was shifting a little jerky/firm but I thought it was normal operation because I know TLs have that firm shifts. In the same month I had got it I took it in at Acura to make sure if it was normal of it shifting jerky. They ran diagnostics and found that the torque converter has failed and needs replaced. Car is under warranty of course. They replaced the torque converter, flush the trans fluid and a software update. Free of charge. It drove much smoother after I picked it up. About 6 months later it was shifting strange again but only when the car is Cold when you first start it up and start driving. It was only 1st-2nd gear that was shifting hard. Now lately it was starting to slip for a second or two and then you feel like the transmission catches and then shifts to second very hard only when its cold when you first start driving the car. When it warms up it shifts nice and smooth. And now it started making a faint audible knocking sound/tap inside the cabin and also under the hood. It sounded like it was coming from the transmission. I noticed that the tapping/knocking sound goes away when put in gear. Knocking/tapping appears again when in neutral/park. I took it back in on 5/22/17 about that noise and found that the torque converter was making that sound and needs to be replaced AGAIN! I was so surprised when they told me that. So the car is still at Acura getting it replaced and will have it back on Friday 5/26/17. Car is still under warranty and getting it replaced free of charge. I love my TL but I'm thinking of this car is a lemon sadly. What would you guys do if it the torque converter keeps failing? Should I let the used car dealer know that its a lemon and let them buy it back?
Old 05-31-2017, 12:09 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
That sucks. It seems that replacements and repairs, even done by the dealer, are never as good as the cars that don't have any problems to begin with. You might have a hard time forcing a buy-back with two TQ replacements. I'd say if the 2nd one fails you might have a case.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I don't think your car will be covered, when it comes to the lemon law. If you think about it, the lemon law was intended for somebody, that bought a brand new car, only to see it in the shop, over, and over, again. I think it was designed to protect those people - an not people who just bought a trouble-prone used car. Maybe you'll find an exception to the law - idk.

Anyway, please update us. I've never heard of somebody losing two TC's in that short of time. I hope you get everything resolved, in your favor!
Old 06-16-2017, 04:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates?? This will be the 3rd torque converter the car has so hey man that lemon shit might pass
let us know