2012 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT clutch slipping at 45k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT clutch slipping at 45k miles

Good Afternoon All,

As of last saturday my clutch began slipping in 4th, 5th and 6th gear. The car only has 45k on it. I bought the vehicle certified with 8k on it I was absolutely shocked as the car is driven 24.3 miles of my 26 mile commute daily on the highway. This will be my 11th manual transmission Honda / Acura and I have never once put a clutch in before 125k miles. (The car even has the original tires and brakes which are still in good shape.) At one time when I was younger I worked for the local acura dealership (Ive worked in parts, service and sales) so i immediately brought it in and spoke with a service advisor and manager I knew. They told the typical well clutches are wear and tear items speech. I have been driving manual transmissions exclusively for the past 17yrs never once in my life have I seen such a premature clutch failure. So I called Acura Customer Relations, they almost instantly that clutches are NEVER covered under warranty, but I truly feel that this is a premature failure. I do not abuse this vehicle and I have owned it since it was basically brand new. I received a call from the acura dealer yesterday afternoon saying they were unable to duplicate the slippage, but even if it was slipping the regional acura warranty rep said they never offer assistance with a clutches. This is absolutely heartbreaking to me because I know I did nothing in the wrong to make this clutch fail and I am being shot down without any thought or consideration. My immediate family has bought over 23 hondas in the past 20 yrs and nearly every one of them has been a manual trans that never had an issue.

I am looking for advice, my fear is that if i pay the cust pay price for the clutch is in another 2.5 yrs i will need a new clutch. I bought this car because i expected something safe and RELIABLE for my growing family. As of now it looks like i will take the car back with the clutch in its existing condition and trade it in for an automatic because I feel like i am being penalized for driving a manual transmission. So far I have had zero luck with Acura customer relations and the dealer. The car was never torn down for an inspectiong because the dealer is convinced that it will come back as customer pay not warrantied due acura corp's past behavior. Any suggestions? Keep fighting acura? Wash my hands of the car completely (I really love this car)?

Thanks in advanced,

Tommy
Old 02-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
My thoughts are if you don't abuse the clutch, the previous owner might have.

I'd just get the clutch replaced and enjoy the car. Or check if the car is burning oil, it's a good time to dump it all together.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:03 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
Rather than seeking a warranty replacement you may be able to negotiate a break on the replacement parts and/or labor, particularly if you have a good relationship with the dealer. It is premature wear, but as already posted, you don't know how that original owner drove the car for the first 8K miles.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:40 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that sucks to have to change that so early. It does sound strange. Did you buy it new or used?
Old 02-27-2016, 09:21 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner couldn't drive stick for shit and burned out the clutch disk and fly wheel. You will need to have them replaced.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:34 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

The problem is when people can't drive stick and they first do it on a vehicle they prematurely wear out the manual transmission and clutch. Forks, throwout bearing, clutch disk, pressure plate, fly wheel. I doubt there's a big problem with the tranny but it will need a new clutch kit.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:59 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
Looks like Tommy traded in his car. Too bad.

Buyers, be aware of a possible slipping clutch on the test drive or before purchase.

Pre-Owned 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD 4D Sedan in Clarendon Hills #C150844B | Infiniti of Clarendon Hills

Last edited by EE4Life; 03-05-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
These type of customers are worst. They make dealing with dealerships harder for rest of ppl by being so entitled and demanding things they are not entitled too.

In their minds no fault could possibly be their own, and there can't be an issue from only 8k miles.

My brother bought a 350z new without knowing how to drive stick. The clutch was toast after 2500 miles. Guess it should be dealers responsibility to replace for free.

I knew a kid in high school who had a Lexus. He never serviced it or changed oil. Engine blew and dealer changed it under warranty.

Now Tommy is gonna trade in his car and dealer will sell it to someone so Tommy can continue the cycle of misery.

Thanks Tommy enjoy your Kharma

Also learn to change your own clutch or find a shop to do it. Only amateurs let dealer change clutch.

Last edited by brian6speed; 03-05-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:06 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Wait now that I re-read the post about you buying the car with only 8,000k on it and now it has 50,000 on it. The clutch is slipping. I've heard this numerous time where people claim they can drive stick and when I take the clutch apart the clutch disk and fly wheel are burnt to shit.

Acuras are safe but it sounds like you wore out the clutch prematurely. Clutches are wear and tear items. I suggest you buy an automatic for your next vehicle and don't drive stick.