2010 TL transmission converter recalled

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 TL transmission converter recalled

just went to dealership yesterday for an A service. and the dealer told me that my TL transmission converter vibration is recall. is it happened to your TL? i can tell the different after they fixed it. no more noise and vibrate when i hit at 30-35. thankfully that they found the problem. it was really noise and vibrate when i hit 30-35
Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow.. this is very interesting. I just took my car in today for an oil change and was told there was a recall that they needed to taken care of. He said they had to adjust the torque converter. I did complain to them about the vibration/ loud engine noise around 30mph. I pick up the car in a little while. I will see if this makes a difference. Funny though when I asked the Acura adviser if this recall was related to the vibration/ loud engine noise I was experiencing, he told me no. Is this vibration common for 2010 TLs?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:45 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Can anyone confirm if this recall is indeed official?

If so, does this recall apply to manual transmissions, or just automatics?
Old 09-29-2012, 02:36 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Looks like it is a non-critical factory "update", not a mandatory factory "recall".

If this isn't a recall, Acura don't need to send any letter to inform the affected owners, but the affected vehicles will be applied with the factory update when they are brought in to the dealerships for servicing work.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I received a message on my voice mail letting me know about the recall and fix. It was an automated service and mentioned a letter I would be getting.

Now I just need to find time to get my car in to the dealer.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I got the call last night. Fortunate I already have an appointment next week.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
Can anyone confirm if this recall is indeed official?

If so, does this recall apply to manual transmissions, or just automatics?
Your car has a clutch not a torque converter so it wouldn't apply.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm PO'd with my dealer. I didn't see this board thread until today. Took my car in on Friday for oil change and tire rotation, and the invoice said they checked for recalls and didn't find any. I get home from the dealer and there is a voicemail from Acura saying there is this recall and a letter would be forthcoming. Now I have to make another appointment and go back. Called them to give a piece of my mind.

Is this merely a software update to change shift points, or is there hardware involved, too?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the tech told me there was a hardware need to be replace.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:40 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Has anyone seen this show up on the My Acura website?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a call 4 nights ago. It said it was a software upgrade. I thought it said I should get letter within 5 days about the upgrade.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 PM
2021 TLX SH-AWD Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They first try a software upgrade. If that doesn't fix the issue they replace the torque converter. I had mine replaced 2 months ago prior to the TSB being issued.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by queens207tl
Wow.. this is very interesting. I just took my car in today for an oil change and was told there was a recall that they needed to taken care of. He said they had to adjust the torque converter. I did complain to them about the vibration/ loud engine noise around 30mph. I pick up the car in a little while. I will see if this makes a difference. Funny though when I asked the Acura adviser if this recall was related to the vibration/ loud engine noise I was experiencing, he told me no. Is this vibration common for 2010 TLs?
Update... Picked up the car on Friday afternoon. The adviser did say he was incorrect about his initial statement, and this recall should fix the vibration/ noise I was experiencing. The car is better, but I'm still getting the droning sound/ vibration around 20 - 30mph, just not as often. So this software update did not completely fix my problem. I will go back and have the torque converter replaced. Its funny, I've been complaining about this each time I went to the dealership for service, but always been told that they could not replicate the problem and the car is fine. Even in my last visit on Friday, I was told the same thing. Then miraculously, there is a recall that fixes the problem that they told me did not exist. I will make an appointment and demand the torque converter be replaced. There is a thread started back in 2010 about this very problem (linked below).

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...rque+converter

btw.. it seems this recall has been out since the end of August.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I took mine in yesterday and the software update didnt take so i'll be getting the new torque converter after all. A fully loaded 2012 MDX is my chariot for the next few days.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

I recieved a recall letter today from Acura for the torque converter.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Mine was done today!

Originally Posted by thanhnike
just went to dealership yesterday for an A service. and the dealer told me that my TL transmission converter vibration is recall. is it happened to your TL? i can tell the different after they fixed it. no more noise and vibrate when i hit at 30-35. thankfully that they found the problem. it was really noise and vibrate when i hit 30-35
I never had Any issues with vibration. Got the letter from Honda on the vibration yesterday, also stating an 8 year 105K mile extended warranty. I was going in today for an Oil Change and had them do it even though I never felt or hear anything.. When I drove the car away, the first thing I noticed was how SMOOTH the transmission shifted. I mean it was always smooth but this was as if they pulled out the 5 speed and put in a six speed automatic. I also ran it up through the gears as I went onto the San Diego freeway, got on the gas, and took it right up to 75 MPH!! NICE!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 PM
6th Gear

The torque converter recall is a PCM update to the transmission. Basically it changes the shift points so you do not get what is called torque converter shudder. the service bulletin number I believe is 12-029
Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 PM
3rd Gear

converter sofware update

got software uptade.no vibration but i think fuel economy in city dropes by atleast .8mi/gal,but highway has not changed.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:39 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Question

A bit over a week after the software update, the torque grinding came back today. All I did was to take the car on the highway for half hour to go somewhere and back. What did I do? Did I spoil the software to think that it no longer needs to worry about being in 4th gear at 40km/h and touching the pedal while coasting? Who knows. Maybe the damn thing does as it is told to do and follow your driving habits and forgets what "mamma" told it to do

One way or another I am going back to the dealer for this to verify.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
A bit over a week after the software update, the torque grinding came back today. All I did was to take the car on the highway for half hour to go somewhere and back. What did I do? Did I spoil the software to think that it no longer needs to worry about being in 4th gear at 40km/h and touching the pedal while coasting? Who knows. Maybe the damn thing does as it is told to do and follow your driving habits and forgets what "mamma" told it to do

One way or another I am going back to the dealer for this to verify.

Keep us posted,funny thing with mine is at first i felt no difference but after driving for about a week there is no vibration now,needless to say i am very happy since i really didn't want them to drop the tranny.

I will keep an eye on it though and see what develops.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
My TL had the vibration issues from time to time but it was very rare. Picked it up last week and so far so good. Probably going to pay a little closer attention on the drive home tonight.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:23 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Keep us posted,funny thing with mine is at first i felt no difference but after driving for about a week there is no vibration now,needless to say i am very happy since i really didn't want them to drop the tranny.

I will keep an eye on it though and see what develops.
It comes and goes. It appears to me that if I go for a long highway drive, the next day at around 40km/h in 4th gear while coasting in a 40km/h speed limit zone, it short of vibrates again when I just touch the gas pedal. Then the next day nothing. Trying to recreate this just for the tech at the dealer to witness is almost impossible. All I can do is forward the observation and maybe they'll bump it up to the honda engineers to recreate it. I am not letting them use my car as a guinea pig to debug this LOL.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Drifting

It comes and goes. It appears to me that if I go for a long highway drive, the next day at around 40km/h in 4th gear while coasting in a 40km/h speed limit zone, it short of vibrates again when I just touch the gas pedal. Then the next day nothing. Trying to recreate this just for the tech at the dealer to witness is almost impossible. All I can do is forward the observation and maybe they'll bump it up to the honda engineers to recreate it. I am not letting them use my car as a guinea pig to debug this LOL.

Strange enough that you mention this because on Sat. i did about 400km highway driving and today i noticed it slightly during normal city driving,before the highway drive it was good.
I am storing the car for the winter in another two weeks so i may leave it until next year spring,hopefully by that time there will be more reports/progress on this issue.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Dealer checked car. They couldn't re-create it. I told them its almost impossible unless we get the conditions needed to re-create it right. So, what are the conditions that need to exist in order to re-create it? I suspect how long you drive the car on steady speed before you get into traffic driving and how hot the transmission oil temperature gets. So, the conditions now are different from the conditions before the recall. During the winter months it will be even harder to re-create the issue because the transmission oil can't get too hot to lose its effectiveness.

I think Honda/Acura engineers have more work to do... bet you there is going to be yet another software update soon.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think Honda/Acura engineers have more work to do... bet you there is going to be yet another software update soon.
I'm not sure software is the problem. I had mine updated and it seems worse now. Nothing to worry about I guess since they extended the warranty on the converter.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 2010 TL and I didn't get any info about the recall. I checked MyAcura and it says "there are no recalls on your 2010 Acura TL"

I have to get the Propeller Shaft replaced (which my dealer said was on back-order), due to squealing at high speed.

After returning from the dealer yesterday, I got a message on my nav system that said the "AWD system may not be functioning properly". It seems to be working correctly tho.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Question to those who have done the "software update": When you press the VSA button, does the VSA light show on the dash?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:15 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

^ Sorry, my bad. Apparently and unlike my previous accord, this VSA button on the TL you have to press and hold.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone still have the vibration issue even after the software update? I'm still getting the vibration when the car is in 4th gear?? Btw my car is a 2011 awd tl.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:03 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by Bobby39
Does anyone still have the vibration issue even after the software update? I'm still getting the vibration when the car is in 4th gear?? Btw my car is a 2011 awd tl.
Yes. Finally! We were able to re-create the issue with the tech who logged data and sent it to the Honda/Acura tech line. The answer back from the tech line head office was to drain-refill the tranny 3 times to see if that fixes it. They think the data is not too "severe". Maybe its because now it does it at around 40-45km/h.

I am not commenting on that one, or maybe I should? Oh what the heck I will comment on that using my engineering logic: I looked at the shop manual (I got one from ebay, a bit pricey but worth it!) and there is no process defined to perform that drain-refill procedure 3 times to fix that issue. If Honda/Acura engineers come up with a procedure and publish it then, sure, I will let them do that. In the meantime, the car is going into storage for the winter. Bet you by spring time there will be yet another letter in the mail to update the software, again.

Last edited by Tonyware; 11-14-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Drifting

Yes. Finally! We were able to re-create the issue with the tech who logged data and sent it to the Honda/Acura tech line. The answer back from the tech line head office was to drain-refill the tranny 3 times to see if that fixes it. They think the data is not too "severe". Maybe its because now it does it at around 40-45km/h.

I am not commenting on that one, or maybe I should? Oh what the heck I will comment on that using my engineering logic: I looked at the shop manual (I got one from ebay, a bit pricey but worth it!) and there is no process defined to perform that drain-refill procedure 3 times to fix that issue. If Honda/Acura engineers come up with a procedure and publish it then, sure, I will let them do that. In the meantime, the car is going into storage for the winter. Bet you by spring time there will be yet another letter in the mail to update the software, again.
Tonyware,did the tech hook up to the OBD to get the data to send to the Acura tech line? i was told by the service advisor that when i bring the car out next spring they will do the flush and then take it from there.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced

I had previously had my torque converter replaced, based on the old thread on this issue (thanks guys!). That helped but did not eliminate the issue. Had the recall on the computer done this week.

So far, it appears that the programming changes the shift points to somewhere between S and the old D settings. It keeps the car out of the 1300-1500 RPM range on acceleration at low speeds, which is where the judder would typically occur. It may be cruising at a slightly higher RPM as well (above 1800), not sure. The car does not seem to be laboring the way it did before, like it was in one gear too high.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Tonyware,did the tech hook up to the OBD to get the data to send to the Acura tech line? i was told by the service advisor that when i bring the car out next spring they will do the flush and then take it from there.
Yes, he logged the data and they shipped them to their tech line. A couple of days later they came back with that answer, to flush. I am a bit worried about the so called "3 drain-refill-drive". To make a long story short... Honda/Acura transmissions are legendary for breaking down after a flush.

Based on past experiences with Honda/Acura products, when you flush the tranny it is a good idea to replace the filter (yep there is one) and take out the actuators and clean them up, all of them! One thing you should never do, is to do the flush using a pressure machine. That is deadly. But also the 3 drain-drive-refill can also be deadly because you never know where the metal trimmings or crude oil stuck on the internal parts of the tranny will end up. It may end up blocking some actuator or valve etc.

Actually, I don't worry too much about all that because as the temperatures drop, up here in the true north and frozen (i.e. Canada), the issue seems to disappear. So, I guess the issue appears when the tranny oil gets too hot after 2-3 drive cycles in one day? The other side of my logic tells me that perhaps the oil cooler doesn't do its job or somehow gets clogged?

Oh well, lots of theories etc etc. Bottom line is the tech line people need to find an engineering solution (not a marketing or a legal solution) and publish it.

Lets see how good these guys really are!!!
The following users liked this post:
KarKraze (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Yes, he logged the data and they shipped them to their tech line. A couple of days later they came back with that answer, to flush. I am a bit worried about the so called "3 drain-refill-drive". To make a long story short... Honda/Acura transmissions are legendary for breaking down after a flush.

You know, the sooner the tranny breaks down, the better; because you don't want it to break down after the factory warranty is over.

If the tranny breaks down during the warranty period, the dealership will replace it with an updated factory unit (with permanent fixes) that's gonna last, all free of charge of course.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

I am so glad I found this! My car vibrates around 25-30 but not all of the time so when I take it in next week for my A1 service they can fix that too.

Does anyone have a clunking noise when they shift from reverse to drive? I've asked the dealer twice now and they say its normal.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Yes, I've had the clunking noise as well as a knocking or ticking sound when put into drive or reverse. Havent gone to the dealer yet.

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL10
I am so glad I found this! My car vibrates around 25-30 but not all of the time so when I take it in next week for my A1 service they can fix that too.

Does anyone have a clunking noise when they shift from reverse to drive? I've asked the dealer twice now and they say its normal.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:48 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
You know, the sooner the tranny breaks down, the better; because you don't want it to break down after the factory warranty is over.

If the tranny breaks down during the warranty period, the dealership will replace it with an updated factory unit (with permanent fixes) that's gonna last, all free of charge of course.
Dealer says they never had a tranny on an 09 TL auto break down and they have serviced cars with double my mileage (~over 150k km). Good thinking anyways. I may be somewhat influenced by past honda/acura tranny issues and perhaps things have chanced in the internal design of these trannys not to mess things up with a drain-refill. But from a pure engineering process perspective, honda/acura should issue a service bulletin for this suggestion, containing a detailed process that they officially endorse.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ugh, now what????? I have the vibration when the car is around 28-32 MPH on a flat road and you hit the accelerator just right. Any other condition and it won't happen.

The vibration is like when the tranny is on one gear that is too high and is struggling to accelerate or the car is going over some rumble grooves in the road (like just before a toll plaza). Call it shuttering, rumbling, vibrating, whatever.

Did the software update and it did not fix it. Took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't reproduce (of course!). So I went back and rode with a tech where I was driving and sure enough he heard it. He said they were never able to reproduce it (of course!) and I was able to do it in less than 5 minutes.

With the problem reproduced, they replaced the torque converter. Guess what, that didn't fix it at all! The vibrating seems to be attenuated a little but it still vibrates/rumbles at the same speed range, 28-32 MPH.

Now I know they reset the computer because my clock was off by 2 hours so maybe the computer is still learning my driving style?

Is it possible that it was happening for such a long time that now there's damage to the tranny? The software notice did say that it not taken care of it can damage the transmission.

What next????? I've had other annoying issues before this and I've been to the dealer more often than I did for my prevoius two cars combined. My wife said to just trade it in but every time I check what's out there for the same price range, nothing appeals to me.

Should I bring this back to the dealer and perhaps have them check the tranny? Or should I wait until the problem gets worse? I don't want to hear the same crap of "We can't reproduce it". It has wasted a lot of my time and bringing it back could mean another week (they had the car for a week to do the work). I am still under warranty and I have an extended 6/120,000.

REALLY DISAPPOINTING!

Last edited by Kingmeow; 12-04-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:37 AM
6th Gear

First noob post!

Kingmeow, I feel your pain... I also received a letter on my 2009 and decided to bring it in for the software update because it also stated "if" this "judder" is noticeable it has a possibility of damaging the tranny and if it does not have this problem the update can possibly keep this issue from happening.

Now, at the time I didn't have the "judder" at the specified speeds or rpm range stated in the letter, but I wanted to be pro-active about avoiding future transmission damage. Long and short of it.....I judder.....at the same speeds as you and also when LIGHTLY accelerating (feels like it's bogging...). Sometimes it's pretty bad other times very minimal. I will be bringing it back sometime next week. But it still sounds like there is no answer for this issue...
Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM
6th Gear

To be clear I brought my car in for the update about a month ago. Sorry forgot to mention that...

Quick Reply: 2010 TL transmission converter recalled