A-003: The Hill Start Assist

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A-003: The Hill Start Assist

Every time I drive my 6MT I get the The Hill Start Assist error message saying it is not working. I wonder if its the way I am driving the car? Didn't see anything on this board about that.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Definitely take your car into the dealer to get that fixed. I have started on many hills and have never see that issue. In fact, If I didn't have the hill assist I would bet learning the 6MT would have been much more difficult
Old 12-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen any messages, either (knock on wood). I'm slowly getting used to it, though, I could live without the assist just fine. Gets meddlesome as far as I am concerned.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:08 PM
2nd Gear

I have the same error message and it's obviously not working since the car rolls backwards on a hill. I actually prefer not having it functioning. Does anyone know if there's any risk to the car to not have it fixed?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 PM
9th Gear

Hello,
I have this same issue. I've taken my car to my dealer twice for this issue. It's a problem because (according to Acura):

If this indicator comes on while driving, you will also see a ‘‘CHECK HILL START ASSIST SYSTEM’’ message on the multi-information display. Drive cautiously as the VSA may not be functioning. Without VSA, your vehicle will have normal braking and cornering ability, but it will not have VSA traction and stability enhancement. Also, the VSA OFF switch will not operate. Pull to the side of the road when it is safe, and turn off the engine. Reset the system by restarting the engine. If the VSA system indicator stays on, have the VSA system inspected by your dealer.

This is from the owners manual, page 484 and 485. I've had this confirmed with Acura. My car has been in the shop for 20 days to try to resolve this problem. I'm currently in the process of lemoning the car because of this failure. I wouldn't mind if the HSA failed without the VSA failing but, according to Acura, the VSA may (or may not) be working. That is way too much of a risk for me since I had only 67 miles on my new TL (picked it up with 9 miles on it) and this is a major issue.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Intermediate

I dont blame you sr47567. If I had any suspicion that the VSA was not functioning properly I would definitely not let it rest.

Keep us posted on how it turns out. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:52 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by sr47567
Hello,
I have this same issue. I've taken my car to my dealer twice for this issue. It's a problem because (according to Acura):

If this indicator comes on while driving, you will also see a ‘‘CHECK HILL START ASSIST SYSTEM’’ message on the multi-information display. Drive cautiously as the VSA may not be functioning. Without VSA, your vehicle will have normal braking and cornering ability, but it will not have VSA traction and stability enhancement. Also, the VSA OFF switch will not operate. Pull to the side of the road when it is safe, and turn off the engine. Reset the system by restarting the engine. If the VSA system indicator stays on, have the VSA system inspected by your dealer.

This is from the owners manual, page 484 and 485. I've had this confirmed with Acura. My car has been in the shop for 20 days to try to resolve this problem. I'm currently in the process of lemoning the car because of this failure. I wouldn't mind if the HSA failed without the VSA failing but, according to Acura, the VSA may (or may not) be working. That is way too much of a risk for me since I had only 67 miles on my new TL (picked it up with 9 miles on it) and this is a major issue.

Got the car back last week. They replaced the Clutch Switch B, and then performed bulletin 09-057. It seems that the flow chart and the ECU had conflicting information which throws this error. It seems that this error can cover up some other more serious errors. For example, if your VSA or SH-AWD fails and you're driving with this error, the error message won't change. I would recommend that if you are getting Error 118 (the Hill Start Assist error) that you get it fixed as above. Hope that helps.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Advanced

cool thanks for the posting I will be taking my TL in for its first oil change soon so will let them know about it..
Old 03-03-2010, 06:38 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the info. Mine goes in on Friday to be looked at. I'm pretty sure the VSA isn't working on mine right now.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:22 PM
9th Gear

HSA failed again

HSA Failed again so we're going to lemon this car. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I've got over 15,000 miles on mine and I've never seen this message at all. Hill Assist has engaged while at stop light and performed as advertised with zero issues. Wonder if this problem is restricted to a specific vin range? Thanks for bringing this to our attention ... something to be on the lookout for.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Six Shifter
I've got over 15,000 miles on mine and I've never seen this message at all. Hill Assist has engaged while at stop light and performed as advertised with zero issues. Wonder if this problem is restricted to a specific vin range? Thanks for bringing this to our attention ... something to be on the lookout for.

That's a good question. Kevin B, Gulu100, what are your VIN ranges? Mine is: 19UUA9E53AA004...
Old 04-11-2010, 04:45 PM
5th Gear

I've had this problem from the day that I got it. Initially they said it was because I kept my foot on the clutch too long, I've been driving stick for 40 years. Somehow it got better but I still get the 118 code intermittently.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ysabba
I've had this problem from the day that I got it. Initially they said it was because I kept my foot on the clutch too long, I've been driving stick for 40 years. Somehow it got better but I still get the 118 code intermittently.

How long is too long? I've been told you should never have your clutch fully depressed unless you're moving the shifter into gear. I think the longest my clutch have ever been depressed is 2 or 3 seconds, MAX.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

dayum seats. what can i do to prevent the seats from being stained by my belt?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Masonave
dayum seats. what can i do to prevent the seats from being stained by my belt?
Buy a new belt?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:02 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by ysabba

Hey Folks,
I was told this also. I just turned in my car for Acura's "final chance" repair before the car is lemoned for this error. Acura came back and stated that there is a software issue and the software issue won't be resolved for four months. That's a bit long for me and so I'm moving forward with the lemon process. My big issue is that error 118 can also mean that the VSA isn't working. Acrua can't tell me if that is the case or not. As such the car is off to see the wizard. i'll post the exact reply from Acura when I see it in writing.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Advanced

keep us posted I will be taking in my TL within the next week or so for its first oil change...will have them address this hill start assist issue as well..
Old 05-10-2010, 07:12 PM
9th Gear

Lemon

Originally Posted by gulu100
keep us posted I will be taking in my TL within the next week or so for its first oil change...will have them address this hill start assist issue as well..
Hello,
Got a call from Acura today and they are buying back my TL for this error.

I asked if I can get another TL and they told me that this issue won't be resolved until August at the soonest.

Oh well.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Advanced

I have had mine for 4 months now, and have not experienced this problem at all (in fact the hill assist does engage regularly). As others have said, it would be interesting to find out the vin numbers and date of manufacture of the cars affected by this problem.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Cruisin'

I'm picking up my 6MT on Monday and if I see a Hill Assist code 118, I'm gonna kill!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Advanced

well it looks like my issue is gone now. i think i tended to kinda leave the clutch a tiny bit engaged before. I have since moved my seat back now and have not seen the issue for about a week now...
Old 06-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
hmmm...
Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Advanced

I posted a similar issue here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/computer-issues-781328/
Preliminary testing indicates a faulty yaw sensor.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Advanced

Yaw sensor replaced. Everything ok for now.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:21 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I personally have not yet seen any error messages regarding hill assist.

That said, when I'm on a hill or incline, I've noticed that my TL does roll back sometimes, not all the the time. When I'm stopped: gear is in neutral, left foot off the clutch, and right foot on the brake. I notice I roll back when I ease off the clutch and gas in.

Is the HSA not working properly, or am I doing something wrong?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced

docboy:
Good question. Understanding how the yaw sensor interacts with the sh-awd, hill start assist and VSA would be helpful. I can imagine relationships but I would prefer an Acura person citing chapter and verse.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
5th Gear

I had my car serviced and was told that the Hill Assist failure is a software problem and that a fix will be available in August.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,002 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Fix is out, See TSB 10-030
Old 10-06-2010, 06:36 AM
9th Gear

Hello,
Got a call from Acura today and they are buying back my TL for this error.

I asked if I can get another TL and they told me that this issue won't be resolved until August at the soonest.

Oh well.
My days with my TL are over. Acrua bought the car back from me a couple of months back. Didn't cost me a dime in cash since the error showed up when the car had less than 70 miles on it. It cost a lot of my time, my wifes time, and was generally a pain in the butt. This will be my last Acura as Acura handled this whole issue badly imo. Onwards then.

Interesting to note, my (former) car now shows up in the NJ state lemon list. It seems that Acura then sold the car - notably before the TSB 10-030 came out - to a dealer in Canada where it is not considered a Lemon.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting to note, my (former) car now shows up in the NJ state lemon list. It seems that Acura then sold the car - notably before the TSB 10-030 came out - to a dealer in Canada where it is not considered a Lemon.
Man! That's pretty unethical!

Now I wonder what about all those cars on the road that are running with this defective software and the owner has either not noticed it or not be bothered by bringing it in!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CTsteve
Yaw sensor replaced. Everything ok for now.
Just came back from the dealer for the same error message (VSA/HILL START ASSIST). They said they have to order a new yaw sensor. My car's only a year old!!! anyway, i'll have it installed friday...hope it works
Old 09-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
I've never seen the Hill Assist error pop up... however, my Hill Assist does not seem to work! There have been times where it has, but I think 9/10 times it doesn't?!?
What causes it to engage? (eg. need to be on an X gradient slope? uphill/downhill? clutch needs to be in? need to be in gear? etc).

Maybe the way I drive/idle doesn't allow it to engage? I dunno, but it's rare for it to actually work for me and I rollback quite often. (Not that it's an issue for me, but it would be nice for it to work!)
Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
[QUOTE=liquidneon;15148543]I've never seen the Hill Assist error pop up... however, my Hill Assist does not seem to work! There have been times where it has, but I think 9/10 times it doesn't?!?
What causes it to engage? (eg. need to be on an X gradient slope? uphill/downhill? clutch needs to be in? need to be in gear? etc).

Maybe the way I drive/idle doesn't allow it to engage? I dunno, but it's rare for it to actually work for me and I rollback quite often. (Not that it's an issue for me, but it would be nice for it to work!)[/QU

it must be in gear and as far as incline the car must be running back thats when the hill start assist takes over

its funny i was looking for acura and there are no videos on youtube...
Old 09-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Racer

There isn't a light or anything that turns on when it's engaged is there?
I will do some tests this weekend.

So these actions SHOULD engage the Hill Assist:

I'm @ a red light going up hill.
Foot on brake. Clutch out. I'm in Neutral.

Light turns green.
Foot still on brake. Engage clutch. Pop into 1st gear.

As I release the brake there should be NO roll back. Can someone please confirm? Thanks!
Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by liquidneon
I've never seen the Hill Assist error pop up... however, my Hill Assist does not seem to work! There have been times where it has, but I think 9/10 times it doesn't?!?

Maybe the way I drive/idle doesn't allow it to engage? I dunno, but it's rare for it to actually work for me and I rollback quite often. (Not that it's an issue for me, but it would be nice for it to work!)
Originally Posted by liquidneon
There isn't a light or anything that turns on when it's engaged is there?
I will do some tests this weekend.

So these actions SHOULD engage the Hill Assist:

I'm @ a red light going up hill.
Foot on brake. Clutch out. I'm in Neutral.

Light turns green.
Foot still on brake. Engage clutch. Pop into 1st gear.

As I release the brake there should be NO roll back. Can someone please confirm? Thanks!
Excerpt from the 2014 TL Owner's Manual:

Hill Start Assist
On models with SH-AWD

Your vehicle is equipped with a hill
start assist feature to help prevent
the vehicle from rolling on inclines
as you move your foot from the
brake pedal to the accelerator.

To activate hill start assist, you must
come to a complete stop and make
sure the shift lever is either in D or S
when facing uphill, or reverse when
facing downhill. This feature begins
working a few seconds after you are
in the correct gear position. Release
the brake pedal. The brakes remain
engaged briefly to keep the vehicle
from rolling forward or backward.
Gently apply the accelerator pedal as
in normal driving. Hill start assist will
release brake pressure gradually as
you accelerate.

On manual transmission models:
You must come to a complete stop,
press the clutch pedal, and shift to
first gear when facing uphill, or
reverse when facing downhill.
Release the brake pedal. The brakes
remain engaged briefly to keep the
vehicle from rolling forward or
backward while you move your foot
from the brake pedal to the
accelerator pedal. Gently apply the
accelerator pedal while
simultaneously releasing the clutch
pedal, as in normal driving. Hill start
assist will release brake pressure
gradually as you accelerate.

Hill start assist will also hold braking
briefly if you select the neutral gear
position with the clutch pedal
depressed when facing uphill.

Hill start assist may not prevent your
vehicle from rolling downhill on a
very steep or slippery slope, and will
not operate on small inclines.

Hill start assist is not a replacement
for the parking brake. If parking
your vehicle, ensure that the
transmission is in park, and/or the
parking brake is fully applied before
exiting the vehicle. For vehicles with
manual transmission, it is
recommended that you turn off the
engine before exiting the vehicle.

If the VSA system indicator comes
on with a ‘‘CHECK HILL START
ASSIST SYSTEM’’ message on the
multi-information display, there may
be a problem with the hill start assist.
The VSA also may not function.
Have your vehicle inspected by your
dealer.

Hill start assist will still operate even
when VSA is switched off.
The following users liked this post:
liquidneon (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Racer

shit - yeah it def doesn't work. Need to pick my car up from the dealership today... guess I'll just grab my golf clubs from the trunk and let them hold onto the car to fix that issue too.
godamnit.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
I think my 2010's manual says the car must be on a 6% or greater slope for HS to engage.

On our '13 Accord, OTOH, HS engages more frequently and at places where my TL's doesn't.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I think my 2010's manual says the car must be on a 6% or greater slope for HS to engage.

On our '13 Accord, OTOH, HS engages more frequently and at places where my TL's doesn't.
Nope. The 2010 TL owner's manual states the same.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
I was remembering incorrectly, it's 8 degrees (from the Acura news website):

HILL START ASSIST
The TL SH-AWD® model has standard hill start assist that helps prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards when the driver switches from the brake to the accelerator while the vehicle is stopped on a hill. When the road incline exceeds an 8-degree threshold and the vehicle is fully stopped in any forward or reverse gear (with engine torque holding the vehicle), hill start assist automatically self activates. The hydraulic brake modulator is controlled by a longitudinal G-force sensor along with a wheel speed sensor and steering angle sensor. When hill start assist is active, the brakes automatically hold for two seconds as the driver's foot lifts off the brake. The brakes are automatically released when the driver presses the throttle to make the vehicle move and sufficient drive torque is applied.
The following users liked this post:
lji (09-12-2014)