Somewhat Bittersweet Install of RonJon Grille

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
not to rip on RJ... it has nothing to do with him... BUT....

NO AFTERMARKET STUFF WILL FIT LIKE OEM. ever.

I had a bad A$$ tricked out car wiht a full body kit... it was a very $$ body kit... i paid serious $$ at a body shop that did custom work to get it installed, painted, etc... and the shop that did my work did a SHOW car for the manufacturer that was at SEMA... so the guys who did MY kit.. had done it before..knew how to do it...

the kit NEVER fit perfectly. it looked very good, but despite ALL that, it was NOT perfect.

OEM fits the best. it always will. aftermarket body kits never fit right.

the color looks off on those pics too.

honestluy, i think the stock grill looks better. put your m oney into a spoiler, tint, new wheels, lowering, and leave the grill stock.

if you get a body kit, get hte OEM one. it will fit right.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont mean to rain on anyones parade, but the grill makes the tl look like a camry, nice grill, but makes it look like a camry
Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Instructor

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Camry look. It does make it look more sedate/subtle, but literally like a Camry? IMO it does not.

Agreed on the fit. I've seen RJ grilles on here that fit 99% like OEM though. I think the secret is in widening the holes, which I never did. Mine fit MY car 85% I think.

Anyways, I picked up my MDX and listed the grille in the Black Market, hopefully it will find a new home soon
Old 02-04-2011, 07:08 PM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC

I had a bad A$$ tricked out car wiht a full body kit... it was a very $$ body kit... i paid serious $$ at a body shop that did custom work to get it installed, painted, etc... and the shop that did my work did a SHOW car for the manufacturer that was at SEMA... so the guys who did MY kit.. had done it before..knew how to do it...

the kit NEVER fit perfectly. it looked very good, but despite ALL that, it was NOT perfect.

honestluy, i think the stock grill looks better. put your m oney into a spoiler, tint, new wheels, lowering, and leave the grill stock.

x2, and that's just the way it is.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC

I can attest to that as well, especially with and old Mustang!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
go back to stock it looks better
Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I beg to differ, the wider holes helped a ton...

Most of the aftermarket companies in the industry are not run by enthusiasts like me who actually lose sleep over customer satisfaction and reputation. I get into it with my production team about the final results.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
go back to stock it looks better
The car has been sold.

I think the RJ grille looks best on these cars, followed (or maybe tied with, in some colors) the stock grille painted
Old 02-05-2011, 10:39 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
I miss the RJ grille i think it made my WDP look 20x better

I've thought about it with my PM 4G, but i bought the sports grille, and i like it... it goes well on the CBP and PM... any other color, the RJ looks best.

i got A LOT of compliments and inquiries about it. (hell, i never changed my avatar)

as for aftermarket fitting like OEM, i agree a little bit. Its a custom piece ,and it will be a little different. But, with some elbow grease and the right tools, u can make it look OEM

i actually loved the RJ grille, because it looked OEM. its design concepts looked like it came with the car.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Instructor

I was hoping you'd get the RJ for your new ride! I love how the bar looks on silver TLs

When I brought the car in for trade, there was quite a bit of interest in the grille. Several of the salespeople had actually heard of Ron Jon Designs!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Cruisin'

I had a black RJ grille installed a month or so back by a friend and it doesn't line up perfectly. When I take it in for service I'll see if the dealership can adjust it. Even with some gaps it looks pretty spectacular. I also didn't realize that the weather stripping need to be transferred from the stock grille.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 PM
5th Gear

Mine arrives this week, sure hope there's no issues. The darker colors hide more sins imo.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Who ever has it installed, tell them to call me personally, I will tip them on what to do to achieve the best results.

dsdepew, wheels are shipping on Friday morning, and the tracking number for the grille is coming tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rondog
Who ever has it installed, tell them to call me personally, I will tip them on what to do to achieve the best results.

dsdepew, wheels are shipping on Friday morning, and the tracking number for the grille is coming tomorrow.
I am getting my grille hopefully this week ( ordered from a dealer in Ontario Canada beginning of January ) for my black 2011. Since i will install myself, Concerning your tips could i PM you as well?

cheers!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by senoufo
I am getting my grille hopefully this week ( ordered from a dealer in Ontario Canada beginning of January ) for my black 2011. Since i will install myself, Concerning your tips could i PM you as well?

cheers!
Sure, email is better though, info@ronjonsportdesign.com
Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rondog
Sure, email is better though, info@ronjonsportdesign.com
hey mr. RonJon, do you have any pics of the grille with a Griogio?! the ones in this thread look great! Im torn between this grille, the original, and the midnight chrome.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Too bad the RJ grill is over 800$...It would sell better if the price was lower...most people would go with the RJ instead of color matching the oem grill...Any chance that the price goes lower now that 2012 models came out?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. I would've gone with the RonJon grill but it is so expensive and then needs to be painted (more money). I went with the Sport Grill and got it for $250 on Ebay.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Former Sponsor

We have no problem selling it, and it's priced out according to the production costs. Unfortuneatly, we don't make as many of them as the OEM grille, so the costs are different. Also, it's built in the US by hand, so you can imagine what it takes to build one.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by hnosaj
I had a black RJ grille installed a month or so back by a friend and it doesn't line up perfectly. When I take it in for service I'll see if the dealership can adjust it. Even with some gaps it looks pretty spectacular. I also didn't realize that the weather stripping need to be transferred from the stock grille.
I was due for my first oil change last week and I had the dealership reinstall the grille. It looks 100 times better. It's apparently worth it to pay for a dealer that's done them before and avoid body shops.