CaptainT's 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech WDP Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Bronze would clash with all the white and black trim. Just my opinion.
Ya, that was my initial thought but I kinda liked how it looks on "6SpdTerror's" TL. I know that's not a WDP, but if I was going to consider a lighter tint, I thought it may look decent with my umber interior.

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Hey Cap,this link will take you to a white TSX with Formula One Bronze series

http://www.gotshadeonline.com/window...2003-acura-tsx#

Never seen it on a Tl but you could be a pioneer .
Thanks for the link KK. That looks darker than I would get for bronze.

I'm leaning on black (pinnacle f1) but I know I can't get away easy with 15% all around in GTA - it would be a magnet for YRP/TP so was just curious how it would look in bronze.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I have 35% Pinnacle F1 Ceramic tint. Looks pretty dark.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainT
I'm leaning on black (pinnacle f1) but I know I can't get away easy with 15% all around in GTA - it would be a magnet for YRP/TP so was just curious how it would look in bronze.

I have 35% Pinnacle F1 Ceramic tint. Looks pretty dark.

Cap,i think that 15% would be pushing it as well,with the mods you are doing your car will attract attention,not all of it from the right folks.

Treblig , i have the same tint but 30% and while it does look a bit on the the dark side,i love the clarity from the inside out even at night.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Cap,i think that 15% would be pushing it as well,with the mods you are doing your car will attract attention,not all of it from the right folks.

Treblig , i have the same tint but 30% and while it does look a bit on the the dark side,i love the clarity from the inside out even at night.
Ya, I know you're right. Need to be cautious of that.

On another note, I had the pinstripes and body side molding removed last weekend. The shop really took care of my ride.

The good news is that the pinstripes came off perfect. And ONE side of moldings came off fine.

The bad news is that there is a noticeable paint difference on the other side (passenger)

This appears due to the passenger side moldings being painted over in the past.

Need some suggestions guys. Will post pics as soon as I get to a PC.

I knew this may happen and am open to having paint work done.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced

The good side (need better pics):

The problem:

Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Wow, that's quite a bit off!
Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree with TREBLIG.....This is a very noticeable issue
Old 02-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Drifting

Not good bud,you said that you think the molding was painted over but if the molding matches the paint on the rest of the car then that may not be the case.

If it was due to fading then the color under the moulding should be brighter than the door,i can't tell if that is the case from the pic,in any event i am very doubtful that detailing (you could try that first)would help and you may have to consider repainting.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Drifting

......This appears due to the passenger side moldings being painted over in the past.
Looks more like that side of the car was painted over. The shade under the removed molding is more likely the original paint or that's quite a bit of fading.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Advanced

Wow, that's quite a bit off!
Originally Posted by weather
I agree with TREBLIG.....This is a very noticeable issue
Yes.. i agree...

Not good bud,you said that you think the molding was painted over but if the molding matches the paint on the rest of the car then that may not be the case.

If it was due to fading then the color under the moulding should be brighter than the door,i can't tell if that is the case from the pic,in any event i am very doubtful that detailing (you could try that first)would help and you may have to consider repainting.
The paint under the moulding looks darker to me. I sent the pics to my paint guy and he thinks that's from the area not receiving the same exposure from the sun over the years.

He thinks the paint will need to be blended.

Looks more like that side of the car was painted over. The shade under the removed molding is more likely the original paint or that's quite a bit of fading.
Something definitely transpired on that side.

In any event, I also think a detailing technique may not be enough....

Hindsight is 20/20 but had I known it would look like this before, I probably still would have elected to remove the mouldings but I would have done it at a paint shop so I could get the paint blended immediately... seeing it like this pains....
Old 02-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Drifting

It seems darker to me as well,blending WDP isn't going to be that easy,i hope this all works out for you.Make sure that you go to someone that has a very good reputation.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
As a quick fix you can always revert to putting the moldings back on. Honestly while i prefer the car without them, if you are making the comparison between having them off with mismatched painted and having them still on, i'd throw them back on - then you don't have to deal with repainting that side of the car (which is realistically the only way to fix the issue at hand)
Old 02-24-2013, 12:11 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
have you tried to polish it out.. it seems like its a top layer clear coat issue... wetsand and buff looks like it would work.

otherwise.. just throw the moldings back on.. thats what id do instead of trying to repaint.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Advanced

It seems darker to me as well,blending WDP isn't going to be that easy,i hope this all works out for you.Make sure that you go to someone that has a very good reputation.
WDP is a pain to match. I hear ya.

Originally Posted by Alexander.
As a quick fix you can always revert to putting the moldings back on. Honestly while i prefer the car without them, if you are making the comparison between having them off with mismatched painted and having them still on, i'd throw them back on - then you don't have to deal with repainting that side of the car (which is realistically the only way to fix the issue at hand)
I am debating this at the moment.

Originally Posted by potmilkz
have you tried to polish it out.. it seems like its a top layer clear coat issue... wetsand and buff looks like it would work.

otherwise.. just throw the moldings back on.. thats what id do instead of trying to repaint.
Went to a detailing guy today who confirmed this is a paint issue and cannot be polished out.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
^^ pop them back on, i know its the opposite of what you wanted but its the most logical choice.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Here are my options (as some of you have already suggested):

Option 1: Have paint work done (likely the whole door) and risk mis-matched WDP paint

Option 2: Put mouldings back on and give up the clean look that I was going for

The smart alternative is option 2.

Here are some pics of how the mouldings would look with Aero Kit (Curry Acura images)

Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
honestly it doesnt look bad with it on.. i personally wouldnt do it.. but if i was in your situation.. i rather put them on instead of painting the whole door
Old 02-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
Those are sitting in the garage... still in the box... haven't brought myself to go there yet... Thinking we might pull them out and use some painters tape to tack them on and take a look... as far as yours... I'd really give a wet sand and buff a chance... most detail guys anymore are clueless as to what wet sanding and real buffing can do...They all think some spray wax and a little hand whiping is detailing... Take it to a high line paint shop that does Benz/ BMW's and have their detailer take a look...

Last edited by User Error; 02-25-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 AM
Drifting

Cap,i would suggest that you contact this forum member if you consider the detail route,this gentleman's work is simply outstanding and completely professional.

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/wes_r-x-c63-44-pics-880491/

he has several threads and it would not hurt you to consult him.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alexander.
^^ pop them back on, i know its the opposite of what you wanted but its the most logical choice.

Originally Posted by potmilkz
honestly it doesnt look bad with it on.. i personally wouldnt do it.. but if i was in your situation.. i rather put them on instead of painting the whole door
This is where I'm leaning.

Originally Posted by User Error
Those are sitting in the garage... still in the box... haven't brought myself to go there yet... Thinking we might pull them out and use some painters tape to tack them on and take a look... as far as yours... I'd really give a wet sand and buff a chance... most detail guys anymore are clueless as to what wet sanding and real buffing can do...They all think some spray wax and a little hand whiping is detailing... Take it to a high line paint shop that does Benz/ BMW's and have their detailer take a look...
Cap,i would suggest that you contact this forum member if you consider the detail route,this gentleman's work is simply outstanding and completely professional.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880491

he has several threads and it would not hurt you to consult him.
Coincidently, I did take it to Wes on Sunday. Detailing techniques don't look like they'll work for my issue.

Wes was cool enough to spend some time inspecting my issue - definitely going to try his polishing service this spring.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Man, that sucks OP.

Just out of curiousity, do you park your car the same way every day where only that side is exposed to the sun? Or at least in a way where it gets a significant amount more? It's odd that only one side has the issue.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 91 Posts
That door was painted and they taped off the molding and sprayed the door instead of doing it right by removing the molding and then reapplying it with 3M double sided tape after paint.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Man, that sucks OP.

Just out of curiousity, do you park your car the same way every day where only that side is exposed to the sun? Or at least in a way where it gets a significant amount more? It's odd that only one side has the issue.
I personally don't but as the second owner, I'm not sure how it was parked before me.

Originally Posted by purextc
That door was painted and they taped off the molding and sprayed the door instead of doing it right by removing the molding and then reapplying it with 3M double sided tape after paint.
That's an interesting theory. Sounds like a logical explanation.

I am having one more paint expert look at it this weekend (hopefully) and if he can't fix the issue without painting the whole door, I will be throwing the moldings on and calling it a day.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced

Some positive news: Teins and Camber Kits have arrived.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 AM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
Since the door molding was tapped off, there will going to be a hardline between the molding and the rest of the door. You can probably feel the transition with your finger. Without moldings looks so much cleaner. Shell out a little money and find a good body shop. A good shop can blend WDP out like no one's business. The darker color under the molding is a combination of old paint and some minor fading. Come to think about it, the moldings were probably not masked off, rather painted on the car because then the "new" color would not match the "old" color which is indicated by what is under the molding "if" the molding color and under the molding resemble the same color?

Needless to say, get it re-sprayed, so much cleaner.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 AM
Drifting

Did you get the paint issue resolved?

Looking forward to pics after installation of the coilovers.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced

Did you get the paint issue resolved?

Looking forward to pics after installation of the coilovers.
I patiently took the car to a few paint places and got 100% confirmation that I would need paint work. Also, I began to understand that even the best paint job would leave a slight variance with WDP unless I wanted to paint the whole door.

I finally decided it was not worth it for me when I didn't totally dislike the moulding look. So I ordered a fresh set of Pre-painted factory mouldings and am having it installed today.

I'm aching to install my coilvers but want to get my wheels on first. Vossen sent the wrong size rears so we're waiting for the shipment.

Once wheels are on, I've got my shop lined up for suspension installed.

Waiting is hard.

After wheels, need tints and a fresh wax/ polish and i'll be smiling all day long.

( until I see another mod I like )
Old 03-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Drifting

I patiently took the car to a few paint places and got 100% confirmation that I would need paint work. Also, I began to understand that even the best paint job would leave a slight variance with WDP unless I wanted to paint the whole door.

I finally decided it was not worth it for me when I didn't totally dislike the moulding look. So I ordered a fresh set of Pre-painted factory mouldings and am having it installed today.

I'm aching to install my coilvers but want to get my wheels on first. Vossen sent the wrong size rears so we're waiting for the shipment.

Once wheels are on, I've got my shop lined up for suspension installed.

Waiting is hard.

After wheels, need tints and a fresh wax/ polish and i'll be smiling all day long.

( until I see another mod I like )

Sounds good,i hope it all work out well for you and that the new mouldings matchs the paint.

Sucks that Vossen sent the wrong rims,i waited a while to get my rims as well so i understand how difficult waiting is especially when you need to complete other mods.

The better weather will soon be here and i am sure you will have it all wrapped up by then.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Advanced

Mouldings are back on and I'm starting to like them.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Advanced

Sounds good,i hope it all work out well for you and that the new mouldings matchs the paint.

Sucks that Vossen sent the wrong rims,i waited a while to get my rims as well so i understand how difficult waiting is especially when you need to complete other mods.

The better weather will soon be here and i am sure you will have it all wrapped up by then.
I hear ya. Every day I walk out to the TL, I pass by my box of teins so that adds to it.

Mouldings match up great now. From factory brand new so I'm happy.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
Car look sharp
The following users liked this post:
CaptainT (04-21-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I hear ya. Every day I walk out to the TL, I pass by my box of teins so that adds to it.

Mouldings match up great now. From factory brand new so I'm happy.
I feel you on this, I've been walking by my box of tein coilovers for at least 3 months now!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car looks good. Welcome to the club but im prob newer then you but also from T O. Anyways Wes-r is the best period. He would do wonders. The pin step would've looked good if it followed the actual line of the car not a new one but it looks a lot better without. Pin strip means an older person owned it guaranteed.
CaptainT (04-21-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car looks good. Are you gonna sell the OEM 18"s
I would be interested.
CaptainT (04-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
CaptainT (04-21-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vidol642
Car look sharp
Thanks man.

Originally Posted by 09tl3.7
Car looks good. Welcome to the club but im prob newer then you but also from T O. Anyways Wes-r is the best period. He would do wonders. The pin step would've looked good if it followed the actual line of the car not a new one but it looks a lot better without. Pin strip means an older person owned it guaranteed.
Thanks. Ya, Wes is top notch.

Originally Posted by Jeffksf
Car looks good. Are you gonna sell the OEM 18"s
I would be interested.
Thanks man. I'm keeping my 18's for the winter. They're wrapped on alpine pa4s at the moment.

There continues to be issues with my wheel situation. I'm trying to have it worked out first and want to give parties involved a chance to sort things out.

I went to get a second opinion and know my concerns weren't off base.

Needless to say, there is a reason i haven't posted my most recent mods.

Maybe a stretch of bad luck for my TL.

I will share more soon.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-13-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where did you get your midnight chrome package and how much was the install
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I-Four
where did you get your midnight chrome package and how much was the install
I ordered from my local Acura dealer. I suggest trying some of the oem Acura stores online to get an idea of price and see if your local dealer will match or beat that.

I had it installed when I had my aero kit put on so it was included in the labour cost for that.

I will add that I am very happy with the chrome.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced

The TL is back on track.

Lowered on Tein SS and Rims on...

Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
looking good! what else do you have planned?
CaptainT (04-26-2013)

Quick Reply: CaptainT's 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech WDP Progress Thread