Brew's 2010 CBP SH-AWD Exterior / Stereo System Progression Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im buying the Focals from local stereo shop they sound amazing on the board, the center ch and rear door are those 3.5?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
If they are the Focal access or polyglass versions, you rear door will need to be cut to fit in the speakers because they are 4". They will not fit into the center unless you play for a custom job. I did not change my center. It was not worth the money.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brew0360
If they are the Focal access or polyglass versions, you rear door will need to be cut to fit in the speakers because they are 4". They will not fit into the center unless you play for a custom job. I did not change my center. It was not worth the money.
You have a great setup so if you did without changing your center ch I'll just leave mine alone as well.

Will my JL 3.5 fit in the back doors?

Im wondering did you run amps to the rear door speakers? I guess I should get another 3/400 to run center and rear doors and use my current 3/400 for 6.5 front components ad rear deck?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Racer

The 3.5" will fit without having to cut the door. I have the JL 900/5 and 600/4 HD amps. The 600/4 powers the front components (Boston Z6) and rear deck components (Boston Z6). The 900/5 powers one JL 12W6V2 sub, the rear doors and the center channel. The gain is all the way down on the center channel so I wont damage it.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Advanced

I've heard that there were and still are a few firmware issues with the Bit One, so I'm in a wait and see mode before I make that purchase. My sub channel is running through the sweep. Your plan will work but keep in mind that if you have the Tech package you have 5 channels (front, center, rear door, rear deck, subwoofer). One sweep will handle 2 channels. You will need 2 if you decide to go JL and keep 5.1. So my setup is as follows:

Sweep One - Front and rear deck speakers (full signal out of sweep)

Sweep Two - Rear Door, center and sub (signal not summed but what passes through the factory amp).

Why not sum the center, rear door, & sub?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Racer

You will lose 5.1 and other OEM headunit functionality. Whe you use a summing device it adds signals for separate sources to make one full source. For example, if you wanted a full range from the rear deck, you would have to sum in the sub. Doing this would mean the your subwoofer control on you OEM would also contol the frequency volume on the rear deck.

IMO, if you have an adequate sub and sub amp, there is no need to have a full range signal from your rear speakers.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Advanced

You will lose 5.1 and other OEM headunit functionality. Whe you use a summing device it adds signals for separate sources to make one full source. For example, if you wanted a full range from the rear deck, you would have to sum in the sub. Doing this would mean the your subwoofer control on you OEM would also contol the frequency volume on the rear deck.

IMO, if you have an adequate sub and sub amp, there is no need to have a full range signal from your rear speakers.

I have this LC8 it has "internal summing" will this jack up the 5.1 and the control function of the OEM radio?

LC8 Eight Channel Line Output Converter |

View Zoom Image
More . . .LC8 Owner's Manual (1,680 K)LC8 Sales Note (1,968 K)2006 Innovations Award WinnerMobile Audio Catalog (4,007 K)

Other Items to ConsiderRemoteThe Epicenter Bass Restoration ProcessorDQXS Digital Crossover / EqualizerDQS Six Channel Digital Car Audio Equalizer

Eight Channel Line Output Converter

The LC8 from AudioControl is the latest addition to our line of OEM interface products that connect aftermarket amplifiers with factory installed systems. The high impedance inputs of the LC8 will accept two, four, six or eight amplified speaker level channels (up to 400 watts!) and convert them to a high quality pre-amp signal. The pre-amp signal can then be used to drive a superior after-market audio system, utilizing an OEM source unit.
In addition the LC8 has an internal summing circuit that allows the user to combine together selected channels making the LC8 ideal for newer vehicles that have factory-installed amplifiers with built-in electronic crossovers.
Other installation friendly features include a unique signal sensing turn-on circuit and a 12-volt output for turning on aftermarket amplifiers. Most factory-installed systems do not have a separate 12-volt trigger to turn-on external processors and amplifiers. The LC8 actually monitors the signal at its speaker level inputs and when it senses an audio signal, it automatically powers up the LC8. Once powered up, the LC8 in-turn provides a 12-volt output that can be used to turn on after market amplifiers and processors.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Racer

It should work if connected correctly. The question is whether this converter will allow you to share inputs for the center and sub in one channel. You have 5 channels of which two are not stereo (center and sub). So channel 1 (fronts), channel 2 (rear deck), channel 3 (rear door), channel 4 (sub and center).
Old 03-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Advanced

It should work if connected correctly. The question is whether this converter will allow you to share inputs for the center and sub in one channel. You have 5 channels of which two are not stereo (center and sub). So channel 1 (fronts), channel 2 (rear deck), channel 3 (rear door), channel 4 (sub and center).
I could alway buy a line converter for the sub and run it into my mono JL amp as a last resort.

I think the 4/300 JL might be overkill for my center CH and Rear door speakers maybe I need a smaller Amp?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Racer

I agree on the line converter. If you already have the JL 300/4, just set the input sensitivity on the amp to high for both sets of channels and turn the gain as low as you can and adjust from there. No need to spend more money on an amp unless you want to.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Advanced

I agree on the line converter. If you already have the JL 300/4, just set the input sensitivity on the amp to high for both sets of channels and turn the gain as low as you can and adjust from there. No need to spend more money on an amp unless you want to.

I just want to make sure that I have enough power to run the center ch and the rear door speakers and I like my Amps to match I guess I'm weird like that?
Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Racer

Aftermarket Install

Originally Posted by ALsAcura
I just want to make sure that I have enough power to run the center ch and the rear door speakers and I like my Amps to match I guess I'm weird like that?
Did you ever complete your install and if so are you happy with it.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Instructor

I finally got all of the answers I needed to move forward with replacing all of the factory speakers and adding aftermarket amps for my 4G AWD TL. The professional install will start on January 20th and I hope to get my car back by no later than the 26th. Having the entire car dynamatted and adding a custom sub box. The factory head unit and amp will not be touched, so I will keep all of the OEM functionality.

I will post pics of the install and final product once completed.
This looks sick. I have a question. Did you get a chance to look at any details of the removal of the rear seats? I got my system installed the day after i picked up my car (4-20-10) i just did my first interior cleaning and noticed my rear seat cushion is wobbly. after doing a little inspection i noticed the two clips towards the edge (if your sitting they would be by your legs) by the doors were broken. It seems like the jerks had no patience and could not get the seats back on so they just applied pressure (lots of pressure) and just broke through the sliding clip rather then sliding the clip out inserting hook and letting clip back on. what can i do in this situation? does acura make a replacement for the little mechanism that clips the seat cushion hooks back on??

PLEASE HELP.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Advanced

I had the box made about 2 months ago. I decided to have them face the seat and sealed off from the trunk so no rattles. I had the Focals installed last week along with my 2 jl 4/300 nothing fancy but plenty loud and very clean sounding. I'm real plpeased I just need to have it tweaked a little.

I'll post pix soon.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jpmunoz
This looks sick. I have a question. Did you get a chance to look at any details of the removal of the rear seats? I got my system installed the day after i picked up my car (4-20-10) i just did my first interior cleaning and noticed my rear seat cushion is wobbly. after doing a little inspection i noticed the two clips towards the edge (if your sitting they would be by your legs) by the doors were broken. It seems like the jerks had no patience and could not get the seats back on so they just applied pressure (lots of pressure) and just broke through the sliding clip rather then sliding the clip out inserting hook and letting clip back on. what can i do in this situation? does acura make a replacement for the little mechanism that clips the seat cushion hooks back on??

PLEASE HELP.
Go to the dealer and buy two new clips. They are very inexpensive at around 5 bucks a piece.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep. They probably broke it when removing and not when installaing. You need to squeeze both sides of a clip to release the latch. When I was at the dealer once a sales guy couldn't figure it out and just yanked hard. He broke both clips. To his credit though, he said the 3G models are just pull/push, no latch.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks super nice.
Question with all the dynamat, how much road/engine noise reduction did you achieve. Anything applied to the firewall area?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Racer

I've read where alot of owners have complained about road noise. I have very little noise now only the tire noise over rough roads. I did not do anything to the firewall.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 PM
10th Gear

Did you ever consider installing the JBL MS-8 sound processor?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by simon222333
Did you ever consider installing the JBL MS-8 sound processor?
Got the MS-8 processor installed on 6/12/10. Unbeliavable to say the least. The only issue I have is the center channel sound is muffled when I hear the voice commands response and nav voice. Will have this issue corrected on Saturday by running a basic line driver from the center speaker cables to my amp. I would recommend the MS-8 over all other processors out right now because it the best fit for the 4G and can be calibrated on the fly (as opposed to the Audison BitOne). I will post new pics once I correct the center channel issue.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:32 PM
10th Gear

Where did you install the display unit on the JBL MS-8? The only place I could think of is right on top of the nav. But I think that would attract thieves that thinks it's a portable nav. Plus I don't like the thought of having to drill the dash, just in case you have to remove the display later.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by simon222333
Where did you install the display unit on the JBL MS-8? The only place I could think of is right on top of the nav. But I think that would attract thieves that thinks it's a portable nav. Plus I don't like the thought of having to drill the dash, just in case you have to remove the display later.
I put it in the small compartment below the radio. Will post pics a little later.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I put it in the small compartment below the radio. Will post pics a little later.
Any pics of this yet? Any other info/input you care to share on the overall system?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:07 AM
10th Gear

I've read through these posts (and some of the others) and see a few of y'all done some crazy good work replacing the ELS speakers and adding AMPs and what not.

I just bought a non-tech 4G tl, and I don't want to change much but has there been any non-tech owners out there changing the factory speakers - any suggestions or words of advice?
Old 07-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Advanced

I have a non-tech 4G, can you send me a PM
Old 07-31-2010, 06:11 PM
10th Gear

Thanks, I will PM you shortly (need to post 2 more messages first).
Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by White92
Any pics of this yet? Any other info/input you care to share on the overall system?
Making a few minor adjustments this Friday. Will post pics over the weekend.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Racer

Making a few minor adjustments this Friday. Will post pics over the weekend.
All adjustments had been made to system since install of the JBL MS-8 processor. I need assistance with posting pics using photobucket. Can someone PM and help me out?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Advanced

The install went well though I am upgrading tomorrow to the JBL MS8 I will update pictures in another thread.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ALsAcura
The install went well though I am upgrading tomorrow to the JBL MS8 I will update pictures in another thread.
Good choice. I've had the MS-8 since July and really happy with it after working out the kinks. Changing my system again soon so I didn't post pics as promised. Replacing Front Boston Z6s with Focal 165 KRX3 as soon as I figure out where to custom fit the 3" drivers. The car sounds great now but I heard the Focal 3-ways in a Porsche 911 Carrera GTS and I gotta have those speakers. Will keep you posted.

Note: "Do Not" conntect your center channel to the MS-8. You will lose Voice feedback and Navi-voice. Also, you will get some echo issues when using the bluetooth. Give JBL tech a call and they will fill you in.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Wild Child

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I know its an old thread but just to comment on the line converters, they arent linear. After a point when you keep turning up the stereo they saturate. It tends to sound better at a lower volume. You dont get that effect with the clean sweep. Clean sweep is more linear.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Racer

You are correct. The MS-8 has the same and more functionality as the Clean sweep. Both flatten the OEM output signal but the MS-8 can also time correct and allow additional frequency adjustments to name a few. The clean sweeps did not give me the fidelity I wanted. IMO the MS-8 is a far superior product than the Clean Sweep.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Hey Brew, thanks for the very detailed info on your upgrade. I have '08 that I did an entire upgrade from head unit to speakers MYSELF. I am seriously thinking of getting a '11 SW-AWD TL and know that I will want to change the speakers, at the very least. I would like to do my setup pretty much like yours and, like you did, will want to let a shop do it this time all the way down to the custom sub box they made for you.

It was one hell of a labor intensive job to do the entire project myself on the '08. I don't think the satisfaction of doing it myself again is worth the headache and having a shop do it might be better this time. The only thing I think I would lose is the knowledge of where everything is... but hardly that big of deal.

Sorry for the long winded intro, but the question I really have is this... when using the MS-8, do you pull the signal before the OEM amp? Did I read that you left the center channel and rear door speakers out of the equation?

Thanks.. just doing pre-planning
Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Hey Brew, thanks for the very detailed info on your upgrade. I have '08 that I did an entire upgrade from head unit to speakers MYSELF. I am seriously thinking of getting a '11 SW-AWD TL and know that I will want to change the speakers, at the very least. I would like to do my setup pretty much like yours and, like you did, will want to let a shop do it this time all the way down to the custom sub box they made for you.

It was one hell of a labor intensive job to do the entire project myself on the '08. I don't think the satisfaction of doing it myself again is worth the headache and having a shop do it might be better this time. The only thing I think I would lose is the knowledge of where everything is... but hardly that big of deal.

Sorry for the long winded intro, but the question I really have is this... when using the MS-8, do you pull the signal before the OEM amp? Did I read that you left the center channel and rear door speakers out of the equation?

Thanks.. just doing pre-planning
Hey Stew. After many interations of my system, here where I have ended up. The MS-8 is connected after the OEM amp with only the connections of the front and sub speaker outputs. The speakers/amp setup is:

Fronts: Focal KRX2 biamped and powered by 2 channels from the JL HD600/4 for woofer and 2 channels from the JL 900/5 for the tweeters. The passive crossover is not being used and I'm using 4 channels (channels 1-4) of the MS-8.

Center: Using the midrange speaker from the Focal KRX3 3-way speaker system and powered by 1 channel of the JL HD 900-5 (speaker is not bridged due to its wattage limitation. One channel of the MS-8 (channel 7) is dedicated to the center.

Rears: Focal KRX2 powered by 2 channels of the JL HD 600/4 and two channels of the MS-8 (channels 5 and 6) are dedicated.

Sub: JL 12W2V6 powered by the 1 channel of the JL HD 900/5 and the last channel of the MS-8 (channel 8) is dedicated.

In order to keep voice for NAVI, feedback and bluetooth the center speaker output from the OEM amp has to be connected. I took a motorola speaker from a bluetooth kit and custom (stealth) under the bottom of the driver's side console. I immediately found out that the center speaker would play even when you turn the center volume on the OEM HU to -6 and because of the processing being done by the MS-8 there was a small delay. I fixed this issue by putting an On/Off switch on the driver's side of the center console to allow me to turn that speaker on and off at my discretion. I need to post pics of my final setup but waiting until I complete the changes to the exterior. Feel free to PM me if you want to see pics before they are posted.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Hey Stew. After many interations of my system, here where I have ended up. The MS-8 is connected after the OEM amp with only the connections of the front and sub speaker outputs. The speakers/amp setup is:

Fronts: Focal KRX2 biamped and powered by 2 channels from the JL HD600/4 for woofer and 2 channels from the JL 900/5 for the tweeters. The passive crossover is not being used and I'm using 4 channels (channels 1-4) of the MS-8.

Center: Using the midrange speaker from the Focal KRX3 3-way speaker system and powered by 1 channel of the JL HD 900-5 (speaker is not bridged due to its wattage limitation. One channel of the MS-8 (channel 7) is dedicated to the center.

Rears: Focal KRX2 powered by 2 channels of the JL HD 600/4 and two channels of the MS-8 (channels 5 and 6) are dedicated.

Sub: JL 12W2V6 powered by the 1 channel of the JL HD 900/5 and the last channel of the MS-8 (channel 8) is dedicated.

In order to keep voice for NAVI, feedback and bluetooth the center speaker output from the OEM amp has to be connected. I took a motorola speaker from a bluetooth kit and custom (stealth) under the bottom of the driver's side console. I immediately found out that the center speaker would play even when you turn the center volume on the OEM HU to -6 and because of the processing being done by the MS-8 there was a small delay. I fixed this issue by putting an On/Off switch on the driver's side of the center console to allow me to turn that speaker on and off at my discretion. I need to post pics of my final setup but waiting until I complete the changes to the exterior. Feel free to PM me if you want to see pics before they are posted.
Nice. Thanks for the detailed info! I am a big fan of DVD-A and have many DVD-A discs. Do you still have that "5.1" functionality with the way you have the MS-8 connected to the OEM amp?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Racer

Nice. Thanks for the detailed info! I am a big fan of DVD-A and have many DVD-A discs. Do you still have that "5.1" functionality with the way you have the MS-8 connected to the OEM amp?
Unfortunately you will lose the 5.1 functionality of the OEM HU, but the MS-8 has a simulated 5.1 for 2 channel sources that is quite impressive to say the least. Trust me when I tell you that you won't miss DVD-A with the MS-8. I've done a few expensive aftermarket setups and this one by far is the best.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Unfortunately you will lose the 5.1 functionality of the OEM HU, but the MS-8 has a simulated 5.1 for 2 channel sources that is quite impressive to say the least. Trust me when I tell you that you won't miss DVD-A with the MS-8. I've done a few expensive aftermarket setups and this one by far is the best.
Well then! That is what I'll do! I see that I will need the full course of dyna-mat too.

Thank you! No doubt I'll be getting back to you when I get the 4G next month.

.. just pre-planning
Old 02-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Racer

Well then! That is what I'll do! I see that I will need the full course of dyna-mat too.

Thank you! No doubt I'll be getting back to you when I get the 4G next month.

.. just pre-planning
Are you going to get a 2011 with the 2012 right around he corner?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

The plus side to the 2011 is that there are already aftermarket upgrades.. with the '12, I'd have to wait for the parts to be made. I have seen pics of the '12 and am not sure I like the front end/bumper shape..... of course I could just keep driving the '08
Old 02-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Now that I see what the '12 offers... it isn't long to wait.. the 6AT and voice recognition for the SONG BY VOICE system.. nice! Hmmmm...

Quick Reply: Brew's 2010 CBP SH-AWD Exterior / Stereo System Progression Thread.