XLR8 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XLR8 exhaust

Really like the xlr8 exhaust all i want is a cat back system. Why are some many people selling them in black market. Is it really that loud ? Or are they not satisfied with preformance gains? just curious. 4g tl awd

Last edited by fluid; 12-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
it seems like a lot of people are switching to ATLP and selling their XLR8. you may want to look into ATLP they have a group buy going on right now.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Old 12-29-2012, 05:45 AM
Intermediate

Yeah that's I'm seeing .people swapping xlr8 for atlp. Atlp sounds pretty mild IMO. Do like the tips . I think xlr8 sad they have round tip option for 4g tl. Really would like to hear from someone that made the switch.

Last edited by fluid; 12-29-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The ATLP and XLR8 exhausts are virtually the same decibel level. We have a lot of our 4G TL XLR8 exhausts on the market and people are buying them weekly.

There are a few differences. We use T304 stainless steel, our tip design is different, our muffler design includes Purge Resonance Technology (to reduce drone), our price is lower, and our exhaust note sounds exotic (while ATLP sounds more BMWish).

We are also working on a round tip design. It was done on one car already but I'm still waiting for pictures.
The following users liked this post:
vtec314 (03-24-2013)
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cant really go wrong with either choice. Both sound great, have good customer service and are made well.

OT I've been eye balling the black market for a while and have not seen either an xlr8 or atlp for a 4g come up for sale, to be honest not much actually does for this platform.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Sadly I think many people buy the whole exhaust just based on the tips. I'm still a happy XLR8 owner, I'd only get rid of mine if I sold my car.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pete2010
Sadly I think many people buy the whole exhaust just based on the tips. I'm still a happy XLR8 owner, I'd only get rid of mine if I sold my car.
Thanks for the info guys . I want the xlr8 gonna try the round tip option . Hopefully it looks similar to the atlp if not Than ill do the oval squarish option they have can't wait.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fluid
Thanks for the info guys . I want the xlr8 gonna try the round tip option . Hopefully it looks similar to the atlp if not Than ill do the oval squarish option they have can't wait.
The way I read it above, there is no option at this time.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nismod05
They made one someone bought it but didn't send the pictures back
Old 12-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nismod05
It is available. Oddly enough though I still don't have pictures of it so I haven't advertised it.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Excelerate

It is available. Oddly enough though I still don't have pictures of it so I haven't advertised it.
I would hate to make a blind buy and not be satisfied with the look . But I'm tempted if I didn't like the tips what is the return policy.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Having owned and subsequently sold the XLR8 exhaust for my 4G, I just didn't know what I was getting into when purchasing the unit. That and I got a great deal on it because the seller was getting rid of his car and needed it gone quickly. Having said that, the exhaust sounds bad ass! With the additional supporting mods I already had, it definitely added power. I'm sure you'd get a boost even without other mods.

The build is top notch and the service behind it is really good. I can't imagine there being much, if any difference in overall loudness between XLR8 and ATLP. For the most part, it comes down to aesthetics, the consensus around here is that many people prefer circular tips to the oval tips.

In an attempt to quiet the exhaust down to my own personal preference, I was able to tone the system down and reduce some droning even further by removing the XLR8 resonators that came with the system with larger magnaflow units. Had I of not sold it, I probably would have added the XLR8 units back into the system further upstream as well as swapped the tips out to circular tips (also from Magnaflow). I realize that for someone buying the system new, this doesn't make much sense financially but having paid what I did for a used system, I was able to make the modifications for well below MSRP.

My advice to you would be try to meet up with someone who has either system before purchasing. Hear the system inside and out as well as drive by's and in cabin.

GL.
The following 2 users liked this post by NJDEE:
Acura602 (02-23-2013), bigwavedave25 (08-19-2019)
Old 12-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
I have heard both on the same day like 5 minutes apart. I heard heartTL and eazy on a local meat in NY. Eazy has the ATLP and HeartTL has the XLR8, both sound great but some people say the XLR8 sound louder and I think it's because it has a exautic sound to it. I like the look of the ATLP over the XLR8 and I think the sound of the XLR8 is a lite to loud for my taste. Heart has actually gotten some tickets for how loud his exhaust is, but I spoke to josh and he told me you can add a second resonator and quite it down a little bit. If josh produces the exhaust with oval tips and the pricing being lower than the competition I think it would sell like crazy.
The following 3 users liked this post by types1fan:
Acc-Rite (01-01-2013), Acura602 (02-23-2013), bigwavedave25 (08-19-2019)
Old 12-31-2012, 11:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by types1fan
I have heard both on the same day like 5 minutes apart. I heard heartTL and eazy on a local meat in NY. Eazy has the ATLP and HeartTL has the XLR8, both sound great but some people say the XLR8 sound louder and I think it's because it has a exautic sound to it. I like the look of the ATLP over the XLR8 and I think the sound of the XLR8 is a lite to loud for my taste. Heart has actually gotten some tickets for how loud his exhaust is, but I spoke to josh and he told me you can add a second resonator and quite it down a little bit. If josh produces the exhaust with oval tips and the pricing being lower than the competition I think it would sell like crazy.
I'm in Chicago wish I new some people that had this system. I was gonna weld in pro xs mufflers borla. Orderd them but they messed up on shipping had me waiting 3 weeks only to tell me they're on back order. Couldn't bring myself to cut up the factory exhaust . So back on to the exelerate idea. Someone said scale 1 to 10 it's a 6 sound level . You're right I think people would buy them if the option was available .
Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

I would hate to make a blind buy and not be satisfied with the look . But I'm tempted if I didn't like the tips what is the return policy.
Well we have one of these exhausts on order so I can see exactly what the tips look like. So in a few weeks we'll have pictures.
Acc-Rite (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by types1fan
That and the sound is absolutely intoxicating, especially in a tunnel or under a train which apparantely is frowned upon by NYPD . And although I'd attribute most of the extra noise from the catback having a catless jpipe and HFPC certainly isn't doing me any favors noise volume wise. I love my exhaust 95% of the time and if I could do it all over again I would. Not that I care because all that matters is if I like it but for whatever it's worth I get way too many thumbs up, stares, jaw drops and neck breakage on local streets and highways even in winter mode and I'm almost certainly sure it's because they also like the exhuast.

Edit: now if CT-E would release that SC'er and I could make my car go as fast as it sounds lol...
Acc-Rite (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
That and the sound is absolutely intoxicating, especially in a tunnel or under a train which apparantely is frowned upon by NYPD . And although I'd attribute most of the extra noise from the catback having a catless jpipe and HFPC certainly isn't doing me any favors noise volume wise. I love my exhaust 95% of the time and if I could do it all over again I would. Not that I care because all that matters is if I like it but for whatever it's worth I get way too many thumbs up, stares, jaw drops and neck breakage on local streets and highways even in winter mode and I'm almost certainly sure it's because they also like the exhuast.

Edit: now if CT-E would release that SC'er and I could make my car go as fast as it sounds lol...
The sound of your exhaust is nothing but amazing, I remember the day we headed to take the pics for your rims I was like 9 cars ahead of you and u floored it and all I can say was holy shit.
HeartTLs (01-13-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey HeartTLs,

Would you happen to have any videos or small clips of your system? I'm torn between which to buy, but I definitely want something "intoxicating".
Old 01-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Drifting

Yes I do. I'll link you in the morning. The 2nd video I'm going to link is a fair reproduction of what the car sounds like but you have to take into account I'm moving away from the camera rapidly so you don't get to hear the vtec hmmmbaaaah until I'm pretty far away.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I think the video is on YouTube.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Alright here they are, the 1st one is meh, not under load.

The 2nd is obviously much better, the only performance mod I've gotten since has been the LW pulley; makes the car rev much faster.

Edit: I don't have any sound clips of my car in a tunnel/under a train track but I REALLY need to get one.

Last edited by HeartTLs; 01-13-2013 at 07:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HeartTLs:
Acc-Rite (01-14-2013), Acura602 (02-23-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Burning Brakes

^^ hey Carlos let's take a sound clip in that tunnel at vancortland park, the park where we took the pics of your wheels.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 AM
Drifting

I'm always down but unfortunately you're always a very busy man
Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Alright here they are, the 1st one is meh, not under load.

The 2nd is obviously much better, the only performance mod I've gotten since has been the LW pulley; makes the car rev much faster.

Edit: I don't have any sound clips of my car in a tunnel/under a train track but I REALLY need to get one.
Thanks for the clips! It sounds grunty, I'm sure it sounds much more enticing in person. Correct me if I'm wrong, J-pipe, Test Pipe, 3.7?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Drifting

I don't have a test pipe because I have a catless jpipe. I don't know how to describe the sound other than liking it very much, a friend of mine with a lot more in depth car knowledge says it sounds like a modded GT-R. I've never heard a modded GT-R, let alone at WOT in person, but I have driven a stock one at WOT and I think my car has a louder exhaust note and the GTR had more turbo noise.
Danyoung (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Instructor

I don't have a test pipe because I have a catless jpipe. I don't know how to describe the sound other than liking it very much, a friend of mine with a lot more in depth car knowledge says it sounds like a modded GT-R. I've never heard a modded GT-R, let alone at WOT in person, but I have driven a stock one at WOT and I think my car has a louder exhaust note and the GTR had more turbo noise.
Oh you must have the RV6 Jpipe? I curious do you think you would like the XLR8 Exhaust with stock cat/jpipe? Thanks again, well that helps me understand because my director at work actually has a stock 2012 GTR and its not as loud as I thought.

I'm just trying to figure this all out because Megan Racing is working on an exhaust system for the 4G. I will be getting it installed in February. Once the system is installed R&D team and I will make modifications to the system, i.e. j pipe, test pipe, non resonated and try different mufflers/tips.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:22 AM
Banned

Received 78 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Danyoung
Oh you must have the RV6 Jpipe? I curious do you think you would like the XLR8 Exhaust with stock cat/jpipe? Thanks again, well that helps me understand because my director at work actually has a stock 2012 GTR and its not as loud as I thought.

I'm just trying to figure this all out because Megan Racing is working on an exhaust system for the 4G. I will be getting it installed in February. Once the system is installed R&D team and I will make modifications to the system, i.e. j pipe, test pipe, non resonated and try different mufflers/tips.
Very cool! I'm actually getting a custom catback made now using Megan mufflers and tips. It will be installed on the 19th.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Drifting

Dan my friend has a 2010 so that's what I drove, I think the 12' has a higher power rating but yea their stock note is mild. If you get an aftermarket exhuast though its pretty thunderous. I had the xlr8 catback for sometime with all other stock cat's, it was fine; the jpipe and hfpc definitely deepened the tone. Yes, i do have the RV6 long jpipe. Vivi make sure they use t304 steel preferably made in America.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vivmike
Very cool! I'm actually getting a custom catback made now using Megan mufflers and tips. It will be installed on the 19th.
Nice! What diameters are you going with, resonated/non, which mufflers/w tip single or dual? My TL is actually sponsored by Megan Racing, its got a set of coilovers right now. Next are control arms and exhaust system, I'm helping the R&D team as well, if everything is well it will go into production. Please update with clips and feedback, I would really like to know so I can tailor the exhaust whiles its still in its prototype phase.

Dan my friend has a 2010 so that's what I drove, I think the 12' has a higher power rating but yea their stock note is mild. If you get an aftermarket exhuast though its pretty thunderous. I had the xlr8 catback for sometime with all other stock cat's, it was fine; the jpipe and hfpc definitely deepened the tone. Yes, i do have the RV6 long jpipe. Vivi make sure they use t304 steel preferably made in America.
Thank I appreciate your time. I think thats what they are working with first, stainless steel piping + titanium mufflers and tips. After 2 months of testing they will build a full titanium system for the TL. From J-Pipe>Test Pipe>Non-resonated>Mufflers+Tips.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Banned

Yes Hector. It is in all stainless custom made.

Single tip 4". Burnt blue...2.25 diameter until the Y bend. goes to 3" to mate to the 3" inlets on the Megan mufflers. This place made my exhaust on my S2000. Perfect fit.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Banned

Single tip 4". Burnt blue...2.25 diameter until the Y bend. goes to 3" to mate to the 3" inlets on the Megan mufflers. This place made my exhaust on my S2000. Perfect fit.
Very happy with my new exhaust, and saved $1,000.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:27 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have any pics?
Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kenstlshawd
Do you have any pics?
Yep. on my cell...let me take better ones and i'll post up this weekend.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Very happy with my new exhaust, and saved $1,000.
Congrats can't wait for mine. Think you can get any sound clips or fly bys up?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well we have one of these exhausts on order so I can see exactly what the tips look like. So in a few weeks we'll have pictures.
any updates on this?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nanos
any updates on this?
Another customer ordered this exhaust. I'm waiting to get pics from him. I also have one on order for my next stocking order.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

Another customer ordered this exhaust. I'm waiting to get pics from him. I also have one on order for my next stocking order.
I just installed my xlr8 Catback round tip option this afternoon 4g. I fix car for a living. 1st off this exhaust looks great with the 3.5 inch round tips. Welds are precise. 2ndly it went together perfectly a breeze bolts up real nice. 3rdly the sound . Deep no rasp great tone too. A beast at wot and deep growl at lite load exceleration. Very pleased so far . Gonna ride behind it tomorrow so I can really hear it. Just Catback Is what I have .
Old 01-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I just installed my xlr8 Catback round tip option this afternoon 4g. I fix car for a living. 1st off this exhaust looks great with the 3.5 inch round tips. Welds are precise. 2ndly it went together perfectly a breeze bolts up real nice. 3rdly the sound . Deep no rasp great tone too. A beast at wot and deep growl at lite load exceleration. Very pleased so far . Gonna ride behind it tomorrow so I can really hear it. Just Catback Is what I have .
Post some pics.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Pics and video please.

Quick Reply: XLR8 exhaust