Supercharger? Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 12:12 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger? Is it worth it?

Hi, Ive recently been looking into supercharging my '14 3.7 tl, but I have a few concerns. The car is still my daily driver and my only car. Im just concerned about the car handling the power along with the reliability. The kit I've been looking into is the gerzybear supercharger. Im also just not sure how the install is. Im not very mechanically inclined, so I would either have to struggle or bring it somewhere.

Can someone confirm or deny my concerns are valid? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:36 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Hmmm supercharging your only car which is daily driven and what I assume is an automatic. Along with not having much mechanical skill.

Yeah I'd say it's valid to have concerns
Old 05-05-2021, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
As an auto enthusiast I would say DO IT!

But as a person who has made many financial mistakes, don't do it and instead get a tesla model 3 or a faster car.

1. Cost of the kit is going to be at least 10K by the time you do tuning, labor, parts and everything to make the car feel factory (you need to replace the A/C system otherwise you loose A/C).
2. Reliability will go down A LOT once you S/C a car. Every component is working 2-10x harder than designed for.
3. Depending on what state you are in, you may not be emissions legal and not pass yearly inspections.

You could trade in the TL and add money on top and get into a Tesla M3 or another car that will blow the doors of the TL. Sadly modifying the TL is costly at nearly $100/HP gained. 50HP costs 5K.
The following users liked this post:
Cdawg9273 (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 10:02 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
As an auto enthusiast I would say DO IT!

But as a person who has made many financial mistakes, don't do it and instead get a tesla model 3 or a faster car.

1. Cost of the kit is going to be at least 10K by the time you do tuning, labor, parts and everything to make the car feel factory (you need to replace the A/C system otherwise you loose A/C).
2. Reliability will go down A LOT once you S/C a car. Every component is working 2-10x harder than designed for.
3. Depending on what state you are in, you may not be emissions legal and not pass yearly inspections.

You could trade in the TL and add money on top and get into a Tesla M3 or another car that will blow the doors of the TL. Sadly modifying the TL is costly at nearly $100/HP gained. 50HP costs 5K.
Tell me if im wrong, but I think some of those numbers may be wrong. The Gerzybear kit is $5500 and comes with everything you need. Of course there's labor and maybe a few other things, but I doubt that's $4500. Also dependent on boost numbers it says between 480 and 720 hp so the cost per hp isn't really $100. Minus the labor, yes I know, It's around $32 per hp running on low boost around 480hp. Reliability is still a problem, but my brother and I are going to look at a manual beater car this weekend to keep miles off of both of our cars and so we don't have to park them where they'll get door dings and stuff. ('04 tl and '14 tl). The problem with trading for a Tesla is that the '14 tl was my first car and I plan to keep it until the day I die. Im sure you know that feeling of having a soft spot for your first car as an enthusiast. Plus Tesla's are electric and gas cars are better.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by Cdawg9273
Tell me if im wrong, but I think some of those numbers may be wrong. The Gerzybear kit is $5500 and comes with everything you need. Of course there's labor and maybe a few other things, but I doubt that's $4500. Also dependent on boost numbers it says between 480 and 720 hp so the cost per hp isn't really $100. Minus the labor, yes I know, It's around $32 per hp running on low boost around 480hp. Reliability is still a problem, but my brother and I are going to look at a manual beater car this weekend to keep miles off of both of our cars and so we don't have to park them where they'll get door dings and stuff. ('04 tl and '14 tl). The problem with trading for a Tesla is that the '14 tl was my first car and I plan to keep it until the day I die. Im sure you know that feeling of having a soft spot for your first car as an enthusiast. Plus Tesla's are electric and gas cars are better.
Yeah...unless you plan on dying within the next 15-20 years I'm pretty sure you're not going to be keeping it until you die.
The following users liked this post:
Cdawg9273 (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 10:24 PM
4th Gear

ehh, idk. My brother used to work at an Acura dealership in service and the maintenance was always done on that car on time. It hit 70k miles literally this Monday and has been cared for and not really driven hard. I see '14 tl's around for sale with 150k miles and they're mostly fine. Mine has half that many miles and I know that all of the maintenance has been kept up with. My brothers car, an '04 tl, also has 180k and there is not a single mechanical issue because its been taken care of. I know Honda and Acura's quality has gone down hill recently, but if you just give it what it needs, they'll last easily 300k+ miles.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
ehh, idk. My brother used to work at an Acura dealership in service and the maintenance was always done on that car on time. It hit 70k miles literally this Monday and has been cared for and not really driven hard. I see '14 tl's around for sale with 150k miles and they're mostly fine. Mine has half that many miles and I know that all of the maintenance has been kept up with. My brothers car, an '04 tl, also has 180k and there is not a single mechanical issue because its been taken care of. I know Honda and Acura's quality has gone down hill recently, but if you just give it what it needs, they'll last easily 300k+ miles.
All cars will eventually break down. It's just a matter of time. Let's say your TL lasts you another 25 years. It'll be over 30 years old by then, and finding parts to fix it up is going to be pretty hard, and just as hard finding a donor car in good condition you can cannibalize for parts. I suppose towards the end if you plan on just storing it in a garage and never driving it much, it could last for quite a long time, though rubber and plastic components will begin to fail with age, metals will begin to corrode, etc.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
The 10K includes parts, labor and time diagnosing issues, getting issues worked out, replacement whatever you need + the A/C. Electric A/C compressor plus extending the lines, hooking up trigger and recharging system. Everything also from gauges to random clips. Let's say you get 480HP, that's an increase about 200HP for 10K, so about $50/HP. Don't forget the other stuff like more exhaust work and the time you'll spend dyno tuning.

Also since you have the 3.7L, it has the piston ring issue so be sure to keep up on oil changes before the MID says to change or get the oil consumption TSB done.

Last edited by csmeance; 05-09-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 159 Posts
Supercharging my S2000 was over $10k and that's with multiple kits available.

You really are grossly underestimating what's involved.

> Age: 18

Well that makes sense.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
As a TL enthusiest who has a decent amount of boost experience as well as the stage 3.5 Gerzy bear kit, You will be much more than $10k out of pocket to get the "Factory Feel". Also that kit needs some work, so unless you have deep pockets or can do your old work, you will long for your TL to once again me stock.

EDIT: I have a boosted Auto TL, and its fun an all, but its not nearly what the 6MT is.