SH-AWD parts on 2011 FWD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SH-AWD parts on 2011 FWD?

Does anyone have experience using SH parts on the FWD 4G TL? I was thinking about getting a SH crank pulley, seeing as it's a few pounds lighter than the stock TL pulley and I feel would be more likely to be reliable and have everything operate like stock. I thought about putting some SH suspension parts on my car but I'm assuming that aftermarket parts like Tien and Progress would outperform SH stock parts and be quite a bit cheaper.

Last edited by JakeF; 09-26-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
yeah, probably not worth doing the crank pulley unless it's aftermarket 1lb aluminium
The following users liked this post:
HeartTLs (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Instructor

I’m not sure what you mean about me being a moderator. I have a signature but it doesn’t say anything about being a mod.

Anyway, I’ve heard of some people having issues with the 1 lb pulley in the accord. Not sure if there have been any issues with using them on the 4G TLs but I’m not looking to be so heavily modded that I start to lose a lot of reliability or use of accessories.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:28 AM

that's my signature! lol

and you wont gain horsepower from a 1lb pulley. not sure what the accords were using, but here the 3g and 4g's have been using the XLR8 1lb stock diameter pulley for more than 10 years. but we've done the math and there's basically no gains from a 1lb pulley.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
that's my signature! lol

and you wont gain horsepower from a 1lb pulley. not sure what the accords were using, but here the 3g and 4g's have been using the XLR8 1lb stock diameter pulley for more than 10 years. but we've done the math and there's basically no gains from a 1lb pulley.
Oh damn lol. I was confused. From what I’ve heard the engine just revs up faster with the lightweight pulley, right? Would that even be worth it for an AT?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:23 AM

yeah, the car will rev up faster!
and I couldnt tell you if that's worth it for you, only you can!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:05 PM
Instructor

yeah, the car will rev up faster!
and I couldnt tell you if that's worth it for you, only you can!
Well the AT isn’t exactly a double clutch lol. If I’m still able to shift fast enough with it I may do it. I believe the accords were using the XLR8 one. I think UR was producing them at the time.. Do you have the pulley? Have you had any issues with it?
Old 09-27-2017, 12:43 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
I was thinking about the this part - I don't know if it's the same as you mention in your post....

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...pulley-943379/
Old 09-27-2017, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by echodigital
I was thinking about the this part - I don't know if it's the same as you mention in your post....

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...pulley-943379/
That's one of the threads I read about it. There were a few on the accord forums too and a few comments by the guy who posted this video that talk about noise with the AC after adding the lightweight pulley. Faster revving and less driveline weight sounds good but a whining AC doesn't.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeF
That's one of the threads I read about it. There were a few on the accord forums too and a few comments by the guy who posted this video that talk about noise with the AC after adding the lightweight pulley. Faster revving and less driveline weight sounds good but a whining AC doesn't.

Reason why I don't have the light weight pulley is because of to much mix reactions on it. If you want to do upgrades.... The MDX/ZDX intake manifold and Throttle body is a good start. Also the intake runners port and polish is good as well.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few people have the stock size lightweight pulley and thinks it's worth it and have had no issue. The j is internally balanced as well.
echodigital (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Hyphology
A few people have the stock size lightweight pulley and thinks it's worth it and have had no issue. The j is internally balanced as well.
I may consider this upgrade then....
Old 09-29-2017, 12:42 PM

here's the math involved:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...g-read-790020/

I trust the calculations and it shows that 1st gear will gain the most and every gear after that, gains diminish.

Originally Posted by Cross-Hair
You bring up a lot of good points. Some of which I can address, some of which I'm probably not fit to. I want to explain that I'm a mechanical engineer not an auto expert. The calcs were simply there to show what results a lightweight pulley COULD create (a theoretical maximum) and wrote a little disclaimer near the end saying that actual results would most likely be lower.

As far as the CAI and TB spacer... that's not really the point of my post. You could say the same thing of driving your car on cool night and it feels like a beast, then you install the CAI/TB spacer and drive the car on a hot, humid day and it feels like you actually lost power. The point of this was to show that regardless of the butt dyno showing different results as different times, the calcs show that you should see an increase in performance (all other things being equal of course).

On to the reving speed... It's really a question of kinetic energy to tell you the truth. I'll use a linear example to show my point (easier to understand than rotational).

Does it take the same energy for a car to go from 0mph to 20 mph as it does to go from 20mph to 40mph? Not having experience with a car, most people say "yeah, it's just a 20 mph difference." But it actually comes down to kinetic energy.

Ek = 1/2*m*v^2

That's half of the mass times the velocity squared. So in each case (0-20 and 20-40), mass is the same so I'll leave it as a variable. To calculate, you take the kinetic energy at the final speed minus the kinetic energy at the initial speed.

Ek.0-20 = 1/2*m*(20^2)-1/2*m*(0^2) = 200*m

Ek.40-20 = 1/2*m*(40^2)-1/2*m* (20^2) = 700*m

So the ratio actually shows that it takes 3.5 times the energy to go from 20-40 as it does from 0-20. This can drastically be seen if you take a look at a car's 0-60 time vs it's 60-120 time (though at these speeds drag is also heavily at play since it's also based on velocity^2).

This concept applies to the car in the same way. The engine actually takes more energy to accelerate at higher rpms. And while more fuel is dumped to account for that energy, there is a limit. Try it in a more noticable (slower) gear like 4th or 5th on a highway. You'll notice that accelerating (at higher speeds) will show a quicker rev near the lower rpms and a slower rev near the higher rpms. Again, this is from a mechanical point of view and the car in practice might actually be able to supply enough energy (fuel) to keep the rise linear, but since the energy required is the square of (angular) velocity, it would quickly need to start dumping pretty significant amount of fuel.

The undersized pulley actually makes a fairly small difference believe it or not. As far as moment of inertia, it's a 15% or 20% radius reduction. While this will result is a decently lower moment of inertia (since radius is squared) your required power/torque is already so small that at most it will make a ~0.5lbf*ft of torque difference. Again, percentage wise it's decent... but nothing you'll even notice.

As far as driving loads, that is actually not as helpful as you might think. If you've played with an alternator assembly and you give it a quick spin, it will free-spin for ~30s. The bearings reduce friction and it's a magnetically coupled device (friction being very minimal). While it's true that as it generates energy, the magnetic fields will actually resist its spinning, it should be fairly minimal for the power it provides. As far as the A/C, as far as I know it's similar to a clutch-type setup (please correct me if I'm wrong). Meaning that if the A/C is off, there is basically no load on the engine from it. You probably shouldn't be racing/sprinting with your A/C blaring anyway. It's easier to press the "OFF" button rather than get a smaller pulley.

I really can't speak for the pump because I'm not 100% familiar with the in-and-outs of how the car responds to load changes in the power steering pump. Sorry, maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

Again to re-state this, it was merely just to show the mechanical power that would become available from a reduced pulley weight. This will also effect several other things I haven't even included in the original post. Theoretically, the lighter weight would also allow the car to rev-match faster and thus shift faster (though again, not 100% sure how the car reacts in actuality). On the downside a heavier rotating mass actually stores more kinetic energy which can be utilized and beneficial ways. A fly-wheel for instance can stores extra energy that makes for a stronger launch. Again, there are a lot of things I haven't included (and probably even more that I'm not aware of), but this was just strictly to show the math/science and what the pulley can achieve.

That being said, I'm not trying to sell this product by any means. Personally, $$/hp, it seems like the J-pipe is still a better (first) buy since it's more linear with rpm/load on the engine (constant gains regardless of which gear you're in) as opposed to the crank pulley which has progressively worse results as engine speed and gears increase.

Hope this cleared some things up. Again, let me know if this wasn't very clear.
basically, at the price point it's not worth it.
JakeF (09-29-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Pro

here's the math involved:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...g-read-790020/

I trust the calculations and it shows that 1st gear will gain the most and every gear after that, gains diminish.

basically, at the price point it's not worth it.
Basically what my tuner said.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
Basically what my tuner said.
What mod's are worth the price according to your tuner?
Old 10-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JakeF
What mod's are worth the price according to your tuner?
I don't have the FWD but I have seen guys with the V6 Accord hurting feelings with the ZDX intake manifold and TB. You can also find cams for the J35 as well. I would make those investments along with being fully bolted on. It seems with a tune guys with the K&N short ram makes gains as well BUT you need a custom tune accomplish to gain that potential.

Here is the link to the one of the upgrades https://www.heeltoeauto.com/intake-m...dswap.j37.html
Old 10-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Pro

I don't have the FWD but I have seen guys with the V6 Accord hurting feelings with the ZDX intake manifold and TB. You can also find cams for the J35 as well. I would make those investments along with being fully bolted on. It seems with a tune guys with the K&N short ram makes gains as well BUT you need a custom tune accomplish to gain that potential.

Here is the link to the one of the upgrades https://www.heeltoeauto.com/intake-m...dswap.j37.html

also getting your lower intake runners port and polish ain't a bad idea.
JakeF (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD

also getting your lower intake runners port and polish ain't a bad idea.

That J37 manifold is on my list right now lol. I got my HFPC and J-pipe in now, just waiting to get them put on. I'm trying to do all the bolt ons and power mods before I get a tune.