Question about exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about exhaust

Hey everyone,
I am trying to put on the CT icebox and the CT exhaust on my 2012 Acura tL,I read some trends about that and I got confuesed? Is this a good combination? Is any one accutlly have these combination right now can help me with? Or should I go with ATLP exhaust? English is not my first language so I may didnt fully understand those trend. Thank you everyone.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
they are just after market pieces.
whats great about having different companies offering the same product is that you have choices.

its your choice to either buy the ATLP exhaust or the CT exhaust.
both do the same thing.
its just your decision
Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Do you know ffmjst?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
lets see.. ct axle back? or atlp catback? plus.. atlp looks way better.. 3.5 tips just dont cut it for the ct exhaust.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't know him lol but why are you asking him if he knows me? Lol
Old 07-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Do you have a FWD or AWD TL?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
lets see.. ct axle back? or atlp catback? plus.. atlp looks way better.. 3.5 tips just dont cut it for the ct exhaust.
hmm, I did not know this.

The cat back will be the better of the two.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:25 PM
10th Gear

Awd
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Do you have a FWD or AWD TL?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:26 PM
10th Gear

Looks like u r the pro here, any suggestion?
Originally Posted by ffmjst
I don't know him lol but why are you asking him if he knows me? Lol
Old 07-05-2013, 01:34 PM
10th Gear

I prefer atlp as well and its expensive. Will the engine light on? Is that really lound?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 78 Likes on 73 Posts
They look really nice and sound just right.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by senjougahara
I prefer atlp as well and its expensive. Will the engine light on? Is that really lound?
No question the atlp is a better exhaust than the CT engineering axleback. Both are bolt in exhausts, the atlp will cost a few hundred more but will give you much larger performance gains, it looks better, and it sounds really good but id say its quite a bit louder than the CT becuase its a full catback and not just axleback. If sound is a concern for you just look up atlp exhaust on youtube for sound clips. The check engine light will not come on if you install either of these exhausts.
The following users liked this post:
senjougahara (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 10:01 AM
10th Gear

Thanks a lot bro, I check the price ct is 900 and alto is about 1500, i am in Canada right now , the cops here r so sensitive, they will pull ppl over if the exhaust is too lound, I check the YouTube but can't decide is that lound enough for those cops. Btw, cticebox is work with atlp right?.
Originally Posted by wreak
No question the atlp is a better exhaust than the CT engineering axleback. Both are bolt in exhausts, the atlp will cost a few hundred more but will give you much larger performance gains, it looks better, and it sounds really good but id say its quite a bit louder than the CT becuase its a full catback and not just axleback. If sound is a concern for you just look up atlp exhaust on youtube for sound clips. The check engine light will not come on if you install either of these exhausts.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
You can run the icebox with either exhaust.
Maybe you could go to a local meet and hear the exhaust if someone have it.
KarKraze (07-07-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenstlshawd
You can run the icebox with either exhaust.
Maybe you could go to a local meet and hear the exhaust if someone have it.
That right there is the best advise you could get,what sounds good to someone may not be that good to someone else.

I have the CT E axle back and love the sound,it is smooth,clean and a nice deep tone that does not get intrusive,yes the tips are a bit on the small side but as i mentioned before i can live with that,however i cannot tolerate drone and overly loud exhaust.

I have since taken it off because i added the HFPC,with that and the J Pipe the stock exhaust sounds incredible,quiet when you want and somewhat aggressive when called on. Just giving you my non refundable .
Old 07-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Drifting

In addition to my post above,i forgot to mention that you should not get caught up in the HP gains battle,the difference is minimal at best and would not even be felt.If you are going to purchase an exhaust get it for the sound/looks,after all you will have to listen to it every time you drive.

If you are undecided then stick with the stock system.

Last edited by KarKraze; 07-07-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:21 PM
10th Gear

Did u change ur ecu as well? I never heard a ct exhaust before, do u have a sound clip?
Originally Posted by KarKraze
In addition to my post above,i forgot to mention that you should not get caught up in the HP gains battle,the difference is minimal at best and would not even be felt.If you are going to purchase an exhaust get it for the sound/looks,after all you will have to listen to it every time you drive.

If you are undecided then stick with the stock system.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Drifting

Did u change ur ecu as well? I never heard a ct exhaust before, do u have a sound clip?

There is no ECU change for the Tl,i have a sound clip somewhere and will have to look for it.If you are interested in hearing a comparison clip between the stock system and the stock system with other exhaust mod mentioned click on my build thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...1#post14565991

see post #542 for the sound clips.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Here is the clip with the CT E Axle Back

http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/Ka...01-10.mp4.html
senjougahara (07-10-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Here is the clip with the CT E Axle Back

http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/Ka...01-10.mp4.html
Any sound clips of how it sounds now with the HFC and J-Pipe only? Also which HFC are you running? Or is it a test pipe?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by wreak
Any sound clips of how it sounds now with the HFC and J-Pipe only? Also which HFC are you running? Or is it a test pipe?

Post # 542 on my build thread has the clip you are looking for, HFPC and J Pipe are from RV 6, third cat is deleted with his J Pipe.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Awd
We offer our XLR8 catback exhaust for the 09+ TL AWD.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-399076.aspx
Old 08-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Cruisin'

I have a question right on par with this thread so please, I hop you dont mind my piggy backing here...

I am going to have a new baby with wifey in Sept. and it is our 1st. I have always tuned my cars and love a solid exhaust note. My concern is about the interior sound when I do this mod. I am looking at the ATLP (SO SEXY) Cat back and an XLR8 Jpipe version 2 with precat delete. When the baby is in the car, I will be driving much slower and not getting on it. Does anyone have any thoughts to impact on the cabin noise when running both below 4K and above 4K RPM?

As of now, I wanna buy the ATLP but I am thinking I may start with just the J-pipe. I hear power gains are similar between them and the sound would still be good... then I can decide how much louder to go from there.

Appreciate it. PS- only other mod atm is K&N drop in.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
just install my ATLP with the J-pipe version 2. It's pretty loud, considerably more what I was expecting. It is very nice sounding etc, but loud. I let my buddy drive it around and I cold hear him good 2 blocks away. Inside cabin definitely noticeable and louder, especialy from start up to around 3,500rpm then it drops down in noise...having said that sounds really good just loud.

I will try the dynamat route to see if it the noise can be reduced a bit.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sympley
just install my ATLP with the J-pipe version 2. It's pretty loud, considerably more what I was expecting. It is very nice sounding etc, but loud. I let my buddy drive it around and I cold hear him good 2 blocks away. Inside cabin definitely noticeable and louder, especialy from start up to around 3,500rpm then it drops down in noise...having said that sounds really good just loud.

I will try the dynamat route to see if it the noise can be reduced a bit.
Go to a custom exhaust place-- that's what I did when I thought my XLR-8 was too loud. They put some resonators on and it sounds perfect now.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
I be definitely visiting a muffler shop to see if they can put in some resonators. Any recommendation that would fit with the ATLP exhaust? Also would they be able to space the mufflers further Apart? The ATLP on my 2012 is not centered in the exhaust cut out.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sympley
I be definitely visiting a muffler shop to see if they can put in some resonators. Any recommendation that would fit with the ATLP exhaust? Also would they be able to space the mufflers further Apart? The ATLP on my 2012 is not centered in the exhaust cut out.
I'm not sure because I don't have that exhaust-- just talk to the guys at the shop. I was about to have my catback removed but they saved the day.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Jusco Kid
I have a question right on par with this thread so please, I hop you dont mind my piggy backing here...

I am going to have a new baby with wifey in Sept. and it is our 1st. I have always tuned my cars and love a solid exhaust note. My concern is about the interior sound when I do this mod. I am looking at the ATLP (SO SEXY) Cat back and an XLR8 Jpipe version 2 with precat delete. When the baby is in the car, I will be driving much slower and not getting on it. Does anyone have any thoughts to impact on the cabin noise when running both below 4K and above 4K RPM?

As of now, I wanna buy the ATLP but I am thinking I may start with just the J-pipe. I hear power gains are similar between them and the sound would still be good... then I can decide how much louder to go from there.

Appreciate it. PS- only other mod atm is K&N drop in.
if you are starting a new family - don't turn your TL into a noisy car that will wake up your baby when you want him/her to sleep.

honestly, all the threads I've read say that all these bolt ons do ZERO for performance. the people selling them will tell you they do - but the peole who have bought them, are posting that they have done intake, jpipe, and aexhaust and seen ZERO actual performance gains. ZERO.

save you rmoney. spend the $2000+ all these mods will cost you on stuff you will get mor ebenefit from. suspension work is a WAY WAY better way to spend you rmoney. forget noisy exhausts. get a set of coilovers... that would be far better and actually improve performance.

just my $.02

besides, the car will be loud, your wife will give you shit, and you will be miserable. I know. I am married and have three kids.
AntSauce (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts
^Damn. That's some great advice..lol. I'm also having my first kid next month and my sight went from being on an exhaust mod to being excited about getting a Recaro baby car seat..lol.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 23109VC
besides, the car will be loud, your wife will give you shit, and you will be miserable. I know. I am married and have three kids.
My girlfriend thought something was wrong with my car when I first got the catback installed.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Different strokes for different folks. Get what you want for your car. Some people like aesthetic mods, others suspension mods, others performance mods.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

if you are starting a new family - don't turn your TL into a noisy car that will wake up your baby when you want him/her to sleep.

honestly, all the threads I've read say that all these bolt ons do ZERO for performance. the people selling them will tell you they do - but the peole who have bought them, are posting that they have done intake, jpipe, and aexhaust and seen ZERO actual performance gains. ZERO.

save you rmoney. spend the $2000+ all these mods will cost you on stuff you will get mor ebenefit from. suspension work is a WAY WAY better way to spend you rmoney. forget noisy exhausts. get a set of coilovers... that would be far better and actually improve performance.

just my $.02

Where are you hearing that from?
Old 08-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Cruisin'

Cool

just my $.02

Thanks for that. I greatly appreciate the input. I'm dying to find away to get that sweet exhaust note without all the money and work. I will not have the baby is my car that often and when I'm alone, even at 30 yrs old I'm riding it hard. But sometimes the better decision is to leave well enough alone. I will def consider what you said.

Different strokes for different folks. Get what you want for your car. Some people like aesthetic mods, others suspension mods, others performance mods.
And some folks are trolling posts trying to sell people things. Just saying- the guy pushing mods happens to sell em... But I'm new here, maybe a coincidence. Maybe not
Old 08-12-2013, 01:27 AM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
For the money modding the TL for performance is a waste. The most I would do is a J pipe and that is purely for sound not performance. Its funny because when I first did my HFPCs and J pipe , I started the car expecting awesome. Car fired right up and I didnt know it was on lol. Rear was hanging out the garage and front was inside. Hide my music going in the garage.

Got out the car and turned off the radio. Could actually hear the motor over the car. Stood behind the car and it purred like a kitten. Drove it down to my test track and above 5K I could tell a slight difference. Riding around youll never know its there. If your looking for performance nothing really makes a big difference. Buddy just put a K&N air filter in his and were going to test a theory when we get a chance real soon. If the results come back like I hope they dont im going to be pissed
2snail (08-13-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I've read several members here with reports like dirtyo2000 above...

there was one detailed thread here recently where guy did intake/jpipe/cat back and said he coudln't even tell if his car was faster...

my TL is stock...so I have ZERO personal experience with modding my TL..but here is a list of some of my former cars:

79 RX-7: Street ported motor, piles of other engine/suspension mods
87 RX-7 Turbo: downpipe, exhuast, K&N, suspension
90 Miata: Intake/header/exhaust/full suspension/roll bar/upgraded wheels,tires
1997 Prelude SH: intake, shocks/springs/sways/struts bars
2004 S60R: ECU/dp/exhaust/suspension/full body kit

I've modded almost every car I"ve ever owned... to varying degrees. I've found on the turbo cars..big gains were available with minor work. on the N/A cars... it is very hard to get more power. when I put the intake on my Prelude.. I could tell it got faster..but it was VERY VERY subtle. in my experience, modern cars are tuned very well out fo the box, in general. and they are so computer controlled and the ECU can detect yo uchanged soethig and try to tweak everyting else to put it back to stock....

until someone makes an ECU upgrade for our cars, where you can really tune it.. I just don't see bolt on's doing a ton of benefit for our cars. sure it will sound cool...but i can't say it woudl be a ton faster.. maybe a bit..but when you factor in the cost of thse parts... i'm not so sure they are worth it.

suspension is another story - i've seen the biggest bang for the buck changes in performance by altering suspension. if you take a car that is stock.. like a civic...or a TSX..or a 3 series... and then bolt on a bunch of available suspensio mods.. coilovers, sways, strut bars, upsize the wheels, put on low profile sticky rubber - the car will be literally transformed and will hug the road and stick like glue....

one of the reasons I almost bought a 335i vs my TL was knowing how much more power I could get from a 335i if I chipped it. in the end.. I was more concerne dwith having decent performance, good cabin space for my kids, and long term reliablility and bang for the buck.

that being said.. the TL is an awesome value for the money. I just think people who choose to mod teir car with perofrmance add ons, like exhausts, should be realistic about what they want to accomplish. anyone thinking they are going to bolt on a jpipe or exhaust and are suddently going to be smoking their buddy's EVO is going to be very disappointed.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jusco Kid
And some folks are trolling posts trying to sell people things. Just saying- the guy pushing mods happens to sell em... But I'm new here, maybe a coincidence. Maybe not
I've been on this forum supporting it as a vendor for almost 10 years. I'm not a troll. And I modify every vehicle I own. I practice what I preach.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

I've been on this forum supporting it as a vendor for almost 10 years. I'm not a troll. And I modify every vehicle I own. I practice what I preach.
I know, C'mon, I am the troll here and I don't plan on passing that title on to anyone else!!! Sorry Josh.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kahta
My girlfriend thought something was wrong with my car when I first got the catback installed.
Girls...
Old 08-13-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtyo2000
For the money modding the TL for performance is a waste. The most I would do is a J pipe and that is purely for sound not performance. Its funny because when I first did my HFPCs and J pipe , I started the car expecting awesome. Car fired right up and I didnt know it was on lol. Rear was hanging out the garage and front was inside. Hide my music going in the garage.

Got out the car and turned off the radio. Could actually hear the motor over the car. Stood behind the car and it purred like a kitten. Drove it down to my test track and above 5K I could tell a slight difference. Riding around youll never know its there. If your looking for performance nothing really makes a big difference. Buddy just put a K&N air filter in his and were going to test a theory when we get a chance real soon. If the results come back like I hope they dont im going to be pissed

not sure how you can "tell" a difference by just driving it.... you cant really feel minimal gains.. only on a dyno can tell...
Old 08-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor

not sure how you can "tell" a difference by just driving it.... you cant really feel minimal gains.. only on a dyno can tell...
Doing WOT from a stoplight and seeing what speed one would be at before the mod and then after the mod might be one way to find out.

Quick Reply: Question about exhaust