Performance Upgrades for the TL, Who has these?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Performance Upgrades for the TL, Who has these?

For a car that has been out for a year and 3 months, and now carries probably the pinnacle of performance in the entire Honda/Acura lineup, I'm surprised the 4th Gen TL doesn't have any more than the parts we've all talked about in this section.

We've all seen/talked about the Takeda Intake, Weapon R Intake, P2R Throttle Body Spacer/thermal gaskets and the UR Pulley. But there are a couple other items I've found as I've perused around Ebay and Parts carrying company's.

If nothing more, this thread will address the small amount of aftermarket upgrades to this car and hopefully people will go to try them out sooner than later and let us know what they think.

Brakes:

EBC Yellowstuff Pads at

http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/performance/?N=9496+4294962535+1562+11920+6856

Akebono Pads

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Akebono-BRAKE-PAD-SET-acura-TL-part-CAR-auto-NEW-2009_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a5bf0b87QQitemZ2 30414027655QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcc essories

POSI Pads

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-TL-2009-2010-FRONT-Ceramic-Brake-Pads_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53de87d21fQQitemZ3 60215728671QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcc essories

There doesn't seem to be any company's offering upgraded drilled, slotted or a combination of the two rotors. This is strange because normally the rotors just have to be machined from a stock size and they're on the market. Also, upgraded stainless steel brake lines aren't out yet either which is also a bit of a letdown considering the TL's brake pedal feel is less than exceptional in my opinion.

Suspension:

I have seen one coilover setup for the TL on Ebay, but I believe it's a sham. For less than $700, there is no way these could remotely be better than our factory ones now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nex-coilover-Acura-TL-2009-full-coilver-brand-new_W0QQitemZ270494919266QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efac0ea62

We all know that H&R and Eibach have spring kits out, as that has been discussed, but where are the damper aftermarket company's? A short look for if Koni has dampers for the cars has came up short (although I did not look as hard as I could have) and I believe that somebody will lament about how building their own setup could be better than a coilover much like my prelude community does.

Secondly, where are the aftermarket sway bar company's like Progress and Suspension Techniques? They are missing out on the SH-AWD and it's great handling characteristics. Just because we have SH-AWD doesn't mean we couldn't stand a little more roll resistance, right?

Intake:

I see this website claims they have Edelbrock Throttle Body Spacers. The picture they show is obviously universal, but I'm unsure why a company would market something as for a particular car, when it's obvious it is not for the car at all.

http://www.performancepartswholesale.com/storefront/?N=9496+4294962535+1562+11920+7003

Also, the standard K&N Drop In Filter has arrived, but I have yet to hear anyone use this yet. I got the first one out for my wife's 09 Accord and although no gain could be detected, I love getting these things when an aftermarket intake is not available or allowed to be put on the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-AIR-FILTER-acura-TL-part-CAR-auto-NEW-2009_W0QQitemZ230410603032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a58aca18

But mostly, somebody should design a true cold-air intake for the TL not because of pulling lower intake temperatures, but just because I'm not sure the Takeda Intake is tuned for the most optimal gains based on the fact the area they had to work with was so small. Some of us will take the plunge on cutting into sheet metal if more HP is in the cards... I'm waiting on Injen and AEM.

Transmission and Clutch

It seems as if more and more new cars rolling out come with a clutch that is barely suited for the cars engine output. Many times, manufacturers might limit the engine's power based on the fact a beefier clutch would mean too much extra money needed to be invested.

I'm sure the future will tell if the 2010 SH-AWD 6-speed will need a beefier clutch or if it does fine. But then again, there is always the camp that believes that a lightened flywheel would increase performance. After all, the UR crank pulley we have now is made purposefully for shaving weight off of the cranks rotational mass, just like the flywheel. The only downside I see is the scaryness of taking off the transmission with the SH-AWD components to replace a flywheel, but the gains could be impressive.

Exhaust:

Obviously the most overlooked part of our 4G's is the exhaust. I know things are in R&D phases now, but shouldn't company's be making some sort of pre-announcement on what they're going to offer so we can all get our hopes up? I'd love to see any one of ATLP's performance parts they offered for the 3G's on our 4G's. Where is the love?

Equal Length J-Pipe for J-Series

Hi-Flow, Hi Quality Catalytic Convertors

Cat-Back Exhaust Systems

Weight Reduction:

When will the Carbon Fiber Hood and Trunk come out? Maybe a carbon fiber set of front fenders would help the TL lose some of its porky-ness. Not sure how much weight could safely be taken off to still retain the luxury-car origins, but if 100lbs could be taken off, that would sure go along way to increasing some acceleration and steering feel I'm sure. Carbon Fiber components mixed with removing all spare tire components and a battery upgrade (to a lighter-weight more powerful drycell) could be all it takes to shave the weight. I'll be standing by for when they come onto the market.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:38 AM
I am a bullet proof tiger

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice write up, I am working with ATLP on the R&D, hopefully an announcment will be coming out in early 2010, on what products are going to be offered. We still need to dyno.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I stand corrected on a few of those things that I said were not available or I simply didn't find in time. These are all from Exelerate's Website, and I was surprised to find the oddities I did, but whatever is out there to help boost our car's performance is something I'll take!

Rotors:

Rotora makes a slotted, drilled and combination rotor. The necessity of these features providing any performance is always debated, but the truth of the matter is, drilling and slotting at least removes some weight off of the unsprung mass, which pays dividens in performance.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...d/g-51737.aspx

Sway Bar:

Progress does make a sway bar for the TL. It is a 24mm rear bar, mmmm beefy.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-285295.aspx

E-Throttle Tuner:

This is interesting... As cars move more and more towards completely removing the throttle cable from existance, many people are upset that the ability to fine tune their throttle has disappeared. The real reason of E-Throttles is not only for increased fuel economy, but to limit just how much you can really gun it before the engine is up to operating temperature. This will help increase engine life. But for those that demand the best throttle respsonse, and I'm thinking us with Manual Transmissions will benefit the most, this is for us! I would be curious to see just how exactly this installs into the TL's extensive electronics...

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-287480.aspx

Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
We have slotted or drilled and slotted discs available for the 09+ TL. We also have ceramic pads and brake lines. We have the Takeda intake, P2R TB spacer and thermal gaskets (including the intake manifold gasket), and the Progress RSB for the FWD 09 TL. We have lowering springs from H&R, Eibach, etc We also have our XLR8 j-pipe, test pipe, and high flow third cat in the works. I would expect to have the parts in hand in about 4 weeks.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I am the Stig.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That TL shown above with the 4 pipes coming out of the back is bad-ass! I need to get that. One thing at a time. Intake came in. Need to install that first.