Modding

Old 07-06-2017, 01:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Modding

Just needing input from people that have done all the respectable mods to their tl. For instance hfpc/pcd/jpipe/exhaust/tune,etc. would you say that your 0-60, 35-100, or just wot has improved significantly.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:14 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Definitely. The combination of all of the bolt-ons with a custom tune will get you pretty decent power to the wheels. The gains are noticeable.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:56 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I just have a j-pipe with 3rd cat delete, hacked factory airbox with K&N drop-in and K-Tuner to tie it together using one of their included tunes (#3 if I remember right) and while power is improved, overall driveability and "fun factor" is greatly improved. It's just a more responsive and fun car to drive around town or rip it around an on-ramp onto the freeway. HFPC are next for me, but the mod budget is sunk for a bit due to some aesthetic stuff.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Of course the more you do the more you'll notice an improvement, but a full exhaust (pre-cats and back) with an intake and a tune should be plenty to notice all the way through the RPM range!

The tune will play a big part in it since that gets extra horsepower out of the car (even with no mods), removes the speed limiter, and lets you adjust throttle control (among many other things).

If you want help figuring out where to start feel free to send me a PM or check us out online: hoa.excelerateperformance.com

Good luck & happy modding!
Old 07-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I just added the XLR8 j-pipe and it's made a noticeable difference. It's mostly been in the midrange but it's also improved higher end post-VTEC response. I'm planning on Magnaflow mufflers and high flow precats after which I'll get a tune. Like carbonTSEX said, it really frees up the parasitic loss from restrained airflow. Expect the slight addition of exhaust noise with each exhaust mod however. Most enjoy the additional "growl". Just don't go too far or you'll start getting drone and rasp.
The following users liked this post:
ExcelerateRep (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
When there are no cats in the car the rasp can get pretty serious, definitely something to keep in mind, and a good point by losiglow!

Search this Thread