A little help with choosing mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little help with choosing mufflers?

So I've been a car guy for a while but my weak point is after market mods. I'm usually a stock or simple cosmetic mod kind of guy. I never thought I'd want to but I want to have something of an "aftermarket exhaust" for my 2011 TL SH-AWD. I want more exhaust then engine noise whenever I hit it. I generally don't want fart can level stuff so I've decided I'm going to get some mufflers and a nice pair of exhaust tips. From my research, these seems to produce a good sound when accelerating but barely audible when idling or at low rpms.

So I want to ask the procedure to do this. Instead of having you guys explain everything, I've done some research and want to know if it's right.

So for mufflers, I was thinking about the Magnaflow 11225's. From what I've seen, these are a popular option for 4G TLs but I also wanted to know if there were any other great options?

I also want a nice looking pair of quad exhaust tips. Does it matter if it's actual quad exhaust (two exhaust pipes from each muffler) or if quad exhaust tips (attaches onto one pipe from the muffler that splits into two tips) are just fine? I see a lot online, would I have to choose a specific one to fit the dimensions of my car?

Unless I have an angle cutter and a welder, this is not feasible for DIY I see, so I'd have to bring it to a shop. For the muffler replacement and exhaust tip installation, would labor run me around $100-$150?

Thanks for any assistance!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Cheng
So I've been a car guy for a while but my weak point is after market mods. I'm usually a stock or simple cosmetic mod kind of guy. I never thought I'd want to but I want to have something of an "aftermarket exhaust" for my 2011 TL SH-AWD. I want more exhaust then engine noise whenever I hit it. I generally don't want fart can level stuff so I've decided I'm going to get some mufflers and a nice pair of exhaust tips. From my research, these seems to produce a good sound when accelerating but barely audible when idling or at low rpms.

So I want to ask the procedure to do this. Instead of having you guys explain everything, I've done some research and want to know if it's right.

So for mufflers, I was thinking about the Magnaflow 11225's. From what I've seen, these are a popular option for 4G TLs but I also wanted to know if there were any other great options?

I also want a nice looking pair of quad exhaust tips. Does it matter if it's actual quad exhaust (two exhaust pipes from each muffler) or if quad exhaust tips (attaches onto one pipe from the muffler that splits into two tips) are just fine? I see a lot online, would I have to choose a specific one to fit the dimensions of my car?

Unless I have an angle cutter and a welder, this is not feasible for DIY I see, so I'd have to bring it to a shop. For the muffler replacement and exhaust tip installation, would labor run me around $100-$150?

Thanks for any assistance!
Borla 40357: Pro XS Muffler In/Out: 2-1/4" | JEGS
Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
in general; you can go with any brand muffler that will fit.
and yes, unless you have the tools and skills to chop off and weld, it's an exhaust shop type of job.
I would lower your offering price to about $60 and negotiate from there.