Hi companies, i want a j pipe, and full exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi companies, i want a j pipe, and full exhaust

When i bought the car, i found it promising all these companies touting to push out products etc in "prototype" phase.

Now that i own the car, the only mods i have done is springs and wheels/tires.

I'm waiting for someone to come out with a j pipe, and full exhaust, not just an axle back system for a 1000$

There were so many threads, people saying products coming out this month, next month then boom, nothing? i mean is it that difficult to get a tl sh awd or fwd for a few days? Can't local dealers help?

I wish some of these companies were in Montreal, i would volunteer to give em my car.

Right now i'm truly disappointed in the offerings, and was considering selling my car because i was honestly bored, but i put on the suspension yesterday, and made the car a lot more enjoyable.

I want intake (not takeda), i want full cat back, and a j pipe, please make it happen.

end of rant
Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Instructor

and what's up with releasing an exhaust system, and not even releasing a video depicting the sounds it makes?

if i'm gonna spend 1000$ bucks, i damn well sure want to know what the hell it sounds like.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
this
Old 04-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know exactly how you feel. The way i see is the longer the wait the better the product and you dont want to rush these kinds of development.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PhoenixUnit
I know exactly how you feel. The way i see is the longer the wait the better the product and you dont want to rush these kinds of development.
i respectfully disagree, i know once more owners get 4th gen tl's there will be more demand, but the companies that are in the game and are known in the 3rd gen community gave us estimates of time which were already long, but acceptable given newness of the car.

Those approx dates have long passed, i know they don't have the funds to just purchase a new tl for development so they rely on getting cars to test on from us, which is great and appreciated, but when you tell us item X,Y are coming out approx on this date, then do not deliver due to whatever reason, it disappoints the consumer.

I would much rather have these companies kept it under wraps, and one day make a post, we have this and this now released, here's how to order.

but instead they gave us a teaser and have not delivered on their "promises", this is not aimed at one company in particular, it refers to quite a few, who post here, and that i've communicated by email with, and still have not had any result.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Patience young grasshopper lol

when the 3G first came out... comptech (CT-E) swarmed the project and released an exhaust and supercharger fairly quickly

Then it took almost 3-4 years, for companies like XLR8, ATLP & Greddy to make an exhaust.. It took about 5 years, for tanabe to release their exhaust

Same with J-Pipes... the 3G was about for about 3-4 years before these companies mass produced them

I think in a few more months.. we will see a vast amount of products out for the 4G.. some of them are already finished with the R&D stage, they just havent begun production
Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Drifting

Although, one great thing here is that with my spring install (tomorrow), I can't get anything else for the rest of the year, so I'm glad nothing is out yet, give me more time to save cash.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Instructor

i have an appointment monday for an estimate by a custom fabricator, guy does some amazing work.

Says 30 minutes to put on lift get estimate. Then he'll need car for 2-3 days to build me what i want.

Can't wait
Old 04-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Instructor

I'd really like to see some carbon fiber products to reduce the massive weight on the 4G and im not talking about some carbon fiber front grill either.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
^that will come with a MASSIVE price tag, judging from how much dry carbon parts cost for say a S2000.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
did you guys know the drive shaft on the 09+ RL is Carbon Fiber ??

Yet, the car is still heavier then the 4G...
Old 04-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Instructor

met with the fabricator, he's enthusiastic about the project, and i'm aware it will be a trial and error for sound, we're willing to work with each other.

he can build me :

j pipe
test pipe or high flow cat (need advice)
resonated or non resonated (ditto)
with some aftermarket mufflers connected to stock tips

if you guys can help make my mind up.
Going test pipe, will i really smell fuel in the car?

and those super long resonators on our cars, he can get aftermarket ones, but i'm not sure what the diff between res and non res will sound like/feel like

so those are the 2 points i'm stuck on, build time of 2 days
Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Instructor

Short version:

Test pipe - you'll probably fail emissions but make a little more top end.

HFC - you'll probably pass emissions but sacrifice a little more top end. A good HFC can sometimes be within 10 HP of a test pipe, depending on the specific application.

Resonated - probably quieter, less chance of in cabin droning, probably a little more backpressure.

Non-resonated - probably louder, more chance of in cabin droning, probably a little less backpressure. Again, good engineering here may generate HP/TQ results that are *very* similar between res & non-res.

My $0.02: HFC and resonated.

Hope your project works out well - there are a lot of people who can fab parts (and they're brilliantly put together) but unless your fab guy has truly engineered a product for you, you might have some unanticipated side effects. Caveat emptor.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:46 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by boostlover
short version:

Test pipe - you'll probably fail emissions but make a little more top end.

Hfc - you'll probably pass emissions but sacrifice a little more top end. A good hfc can sometimes be within 10 hp of a test pipe, depending on the specific application.

Resonated - probably quieter, less chance of in cabin droning, probably a little more backpressure.

Non-resonated - probably louder, more chance of in cabin droning, probably a little less backpressure. Again, good engineering here may generate hp/tq results that are *very* similar between res & non-res.

my $0.02: Hfc and resonated.

hope your project works out well - there are a lot of people who can fab parts (and they're brilliantly put together) but unless your fab guy has truly engineered a product for you, you might have some unanticipated side effects. caveat emptor.
+1.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:55 AM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
  1. High flow cat with S/S internals - S/S as opposed to ceramic.
  2. Resonated - Do everything possible to eliminate drone.
  3. Keep the surface area of the cans as small as possible or do something to eliminate a smooth flat surface - The biggest contributor to "drone" is the resonance created by the vibration over large pieces of sheet metal. Use either long, small diameter tubes or short ovals with ribs.
  4. Keep the pipe diameter the same or smaller - You want to increase flow, but not too much that you sacrifice low end torque for top end. Going too big in pipe diameter can allow too much flow. Personally, I'd rather see an increase in low end torque.
  5. Keep the factory tips - Unless your guy can work some kind of magic, the factory tips on the SHAWD have the best all around look. Have the system utilize the stock tips, or something like them.
My two cents.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Instructor

i asked this question in 3g section, want some opinions as i see some vids on youtube with test pipe and non res and they say no drone, if so, that's how i'll go.

we have no emissions here. the whole exhaust is going to be t304 stainless steel, this guy fabs custom turbo kits, and i've now personally seen his work, impressed.

knife edge collectors, he'll be able to make me a system with less bends than factory, he's either keeping factory pipe size or one notch higher.

i want something that sounds amazing while giving it the beans, but when cruising/highway just a little louder than stock.

i'm really not sure what to do.

maybe test pipe and resonated?

oh and he will keep the stock tips, police here are arrogant pricks so i want to be stealth and fall under the radar.

best thing, he's at the same price as current aftermarket pieces, but i don't have shipping charges nor do i have to pay the install as his price is with the installation custom on the car.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dieseldub
oh and he will keep the stock tips, police here are arrogant pricks so i want to be stealth and fall under the radar.
Why would police care if you had an aftermarket exhaust?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Instructor

welcome to Montreal, they're notorious here for being dicks and giving tickets left and right.

And the best part, they determine your exhaust is "illegal" by sticking a measuring tape through the pipe and if it reaches a certain length it is illegal, i look at our stock exhaust yesterday, definitely illegal

besides, i haven't seen aftermarket tips better looking than ours.

i'm booking 26-28 and giving them my car, can't wait to see what comes out of it.

in his own words, said that the factory exhaust has lots of flow restrictions, too many bends. I want to do the intake at the same time, if Takeda is the only one that's out by then, then so be it, i'll buy it i guess, i just want CT or AEM, don't like the name Takeda, sounds kinda "cheap"
Old 04-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 04-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Instructor

would anyone be interested in a group buy?

if so i'll see if they can join the forums as sponsors.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Well if they can produce something better or equal to what ATLP or XLR8 can offer, than i might be interested.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dieseldub
welcome to Montreal, they're notorious here for being dicks and giving tickets left and right.

And the best part, they determine your exhaust is "illegal" by sticking a measuring tape through the pipe and if it reaches a certain length it is illegal, i look at our stock exhaust yesterday, definitely illegal
That's indeed how it's working in Montreal! You have boobs, you can do everything but if you're young and have an expensive car or it looks somewhat suspicious, then you must have stole it or you're an ex-convict...