HFPC Qs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HFPC Qs

Hi everyone, I recently ordered a set of RV6 HFPCs. I am contemplating getting them ceramic coated to help decrease temperature under the hood, but RV6 no longer offer this option. I got a quote at a local place for $220 to coat the set... which seems high and I'm not sure if it's worth the money.

I'm interested in your opinion on whether it is worth or not worth the investment and what is a reasonable cost to ceramic coat HFPCs. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Just sharing some thoughts and opinion, I have the Ceramic Coated RV6 HFPC on my car for about 4 years, they still look as good as the day I put them on.Unlike conventional engines our car "header" is really the Cats and I feel that this design results in a tremendous amount of heat build up.

Any thing that can be done to minimize the effect of heat will be good, heat soak in the 3.7 is very noticeable and will hurt performance. The Ceramic Coating is supposed to help in this area,it is also supposed to help preserve the part itself and surrounding parts from extreme thermal cycles,keep in mind that you are unable to reuse the stock heat shield on the HFPC .

Can I say that I have definitive proof that the Coating did all of these things? No, not really, but I felt the extra cost when it was an option was justifiable, at least to eliminate the possibility of sacrificing performance, which is the reason you go with HFPC in the first place.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks, Karkraze. I appreciate your insight and for you to take the time to provide a thoughtful response.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
While not a TL, the J35Z3 in my '11 6-6 has the PCD's and they are ceramic coated (bought them used). If you can afford it, do it. If it's a legit coating system, it will GREATLY reduce temps under the hood. Reducing heat under the hood is always a good thing.
The following users liked this post:
juaijao (03-09-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Have PCD with ceramic coating, and I had HFPC without. As KarKraze stated the PCD's still look new...ish haha. The HFPC turned olive/purple. I'm sad to hear the Richie no longer offers ceramic coating as an option, it's a worthwhile investment and a service he provided at a very reasonable cost.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:52 AM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
HFPC and I got it coated.. just shop around for better pricing.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I highly recommend ceramic coating them. Performance reasons are one thing such as reduced under hood temps and air flow increase due to insulated heat in exhaust. However, more importantly is the potential damage to underhood components. The existing cats have heat shields for a reason. Catalytic converters operate at around 800-1400F. Components under the engine are obviously designed to withstand high temps, but without heat shields, those kind of super-high temps being right near a lot of other components is going to be a hazard. The surface temps of the cats with coating will be significantly less. Probably about the same as the heat shields of the stock cats I'd guess.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
I highly recommend ceramic coating them. Performance reasons are one thing such as reduced under hood temps and air flow increase due to insulated heat in exhaust. However, more importantly is the potential damage to underhood components. The existing cats have heat shields for a reason. Catalytic converters operate at around 800-1400F. Components under the engine are obviously designed to withstand high temps, but without heat shields, those kind of super-high temps being right near a lot of other components is going to be a hazard. The surface temps of the cats with coating will be significantly less. Probably about the same as the heat shields of the stock cats I'd guess.
could I use exhaust heat wrap instead? Don't have any ceramic coating shops around where I live.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Drifting

Couldn't say for sure. I looked into heat wrap for cats but it seemed there were mixed reviews on various forums. Some say it can cause rust, but that shouldn't be an issue with these HFPC's since they're stainless. Some say it could cause temps to get too high in the cat, causing damage to the catalytic converter media.

I'd do some more research online before you wrap them. I might also consult with a muffler shop. If you do wrap them, make sure to check with the manufacturer of the wrap to see if it can withstand the temps put out by cats. Catalytic converters run hotter than the other exhaust components.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Drifting

I just checked with Richie and it looks like he says it's safe to wrap the HFPC's.

Hey Ryan,
All of our parts are made of stainless steel so there are no worries about needing to protect the parts from rusting. Header wrap is fine. Regards Rich

Based on that, I'll probably wrap mine with some Design Engineering titanium wrap. It's rated to 1800F. Rusting is only one of the concerns. Not an issue with SS but I'll probably still either avoid wrapping the welds or just wrap them lightly since it seems they can be the weak point with the insulated heat that comes with wrapping. I'm still considering powercoating but it's pretty expensive. $180-$250 from the quotes I've gotten. And from what I've read, it's not necessarily better at insulating than wrap. In fact, some observations have been that wrap is more effective.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Intermediate

That's what I thought. Heard of the cats going bad if not coated or some sort of heat protectant.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hyphology
That's what I thought. Heard of the cats going bad if not coated or some sort of heat protectant.
I sort of heard the opposite - that if they're too well insulated that the substrate and metal degrades from too much insulated heat. The cats have to be able to emit a certain amount of heat. The trouble is, because of the stupid location of the cats in the TL, you're looking at the HFPC's potentially damaging other components in the engine bay due to emitting high heat since they don't have heat shields, or potentially damaging the cats due to too much insulation if you wrap them. Acura placed heat shields on the stock cats which serves both functions (not allowing too much heat to the immediate area but not insulating the cats either). However, this still results in the engine bay getting super hot due to the cats being placed in the engine bay. It's not as if the heat shields prevent heat from emitting from the stock cats. They just serve to protect the immediate area such as the radiator fans in the front and firewall in the back.

I had the HFPC's I purchased from RV6 power coated, which was an option back then. They seemed to work fine. No problems over a period of about 2 years. However, powder coating is pretty pricey. I think moderating the wrap on the HFPC's will serve to be just as effective but at a lower price. I think the key is moderation with the wrap. With a lighter wrap, there shouldn't be too much heat insulation in the cat but still a good reduction of engine temps and potential damage to nearby components since the wrap will reduces the overall heat the cat emits, not just shielding it from other components. Richie seemed pretty confident that it won't affect the HFPC's and they come with a pretty good warranty if a problem arises. I'm going to try wrapping a bit thicker (no more than 1/4 inch from what I've seen recommended) on the non-welded areas, then attempting to skip the welds altogether, or place only one layer (1/16 inch) on the welds. I'll be taking an IR reading of the existing stock cats heat shields, then of the wrapped HFPC's to see a comparison. I'll post it once I have the data.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Wow. Thanks for the insight, yeah get extremely hot as is, that's why I was trying to find a solution(or at least something that helps with the heat) for when I get the HFs. I will definitely see what you come up with.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:47 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KarKraze
Just sharing some thoughts and opinion, I have the Ceramic Coated RV6 HFPC on my car for about 4 years, they still look as good as the day I put them on.Unlike conventional engines our car "header" is really the Cats and I feel that this design results in a tremendous amount of heat build up.

Any thing that can be done to minimize the effect of heat will be good, heat soak in the 3.7 is very noticeable and will hurt performance. The Ceramic Coating is supposed to help in this area,it is also supposed to help preserve the part itself and surrounding parts from extreme thermal cycles,keep in mind that you are unable to reuse the stock heat shield on the HFPC .

Can I say that I have definitive proof that the Coating did all of these things? No, not really, but I felt the extra cost when it was an option was justifiable, at least to eliminate the possibility of sacrificing performance, which is the reason you go with HFPC in the first place.
Hey there buddy,

So I had my HFPC fail on my for whatever reason. Not sure if the AFR was off meaning I was too rich or learn but it caused it to go bad within a year and so I'm trying a new set with 300 cell count instead of two by Ritchie as a test to see how this one performs as it is a little stronger and they use them in the Type R and new honda Turbos that use this aftermarket part. After I install them I have to get it tuned again but question is I want to wrap them in the Titanium exhaust wrap. Do you think it's worth a try?
Old 10-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by cbryce

Hey there buddy,

So I had my HFPC fail on my for whatever reason. Not sure if the AFR was off meaning I was too rich or learn but it caused it to go bad within a year and so I'm trying a new set with 300 cell count instead of two by Ritchie as a test to see how this one performs as it is a little stronger and they use them in the Type R and new honda Turbos that use this aftermarket part. After I install them I have to get it tuned again but question is I want to wrap them in the Titanium exhaust wrap. Do you think it's worth a try?
Some people feel that wrapping is a good idea and others don't, trapping heat within the HFPC may cause the welding to crack and I have read that moisture can also cause premature corrosion.

If you look closely at the stock Heat Shield you will notice that they do not entirely insulate the Cats, it allows heat to escape but still protects other components in the immediate area. Are you opposed to the Ceramic Coating ? from my research it really seems to the the best alternative.

Did you have the car Tuned on the first set of HFPC ? Reason I ask is that the car runs rich without Tuning and all the raw gas being dumped in the Cats will cause them to deteriorate earlier.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:09 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry for just responding but yes I did have the car tuned in the first set of HFPC. This second set seems to be holding up by its only been about 5 months so far since being installed. I hope they hold up over 2 years

And no I didn't end up getting them wrapped or coated.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:23 PM
Drifting

I wrapped mine and so far so good after two years. The bank 2 O2 sensor occasionally throws a P0420 code (low catalyst efficiency) but I believe it's due to potential damage caused by very high oil consumption from cylinder 5 which was self inflicted on my part. Long story. Things are good now but that cat put up with about 1qt. of oil every 300 miles or so over the course of about 10,000 miles so I'm just thankful it didn't completely bite the dust.

Mine are wrapped with only one layer but there is a fair bit of overlap.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:02 PM
Drifting

Correcting my post above. I was getting the P0430 code which for bank 2. P0420 is for bank 1.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just had my HFPC’s ceramic coated and got them back today, looks nice and I think it was a good deal $75 for both of them, can’t wait to install!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:31 AM
Drifting

That's a good deal. Good luck on the install
Old 02-15-2019, 09:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Here's the $0.02 from Heeltoe...

Ceramic coating these parts makes them look nice for sure. We do not believe that a reduction in hood temperature that they speculatively offer as much of a benefit. Basically, we don't feel like there's that much of a meaningful difference to warrant spending the extra money. But they definitely add to the look of the part and so many of those yes or going to love that aspect.

We believe that if you want to insulate the exhaust parts you really would be best to wrap them. However we would strongly suggest not wrapping high flow pretty cats because they're already pretty sensitive to high temperatures. The converter cores in those weren't really meant to be placed so close to the engine. It's not impossible for them to overheat and breakdown. Wrapping them is just going to increase the probability of it.

Key to longevity of your RV6 HFPCs is a properly tuned fuel map. Hit up Heeltoe for a KTuner!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:41 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Here's the $0.02 from Heeltoe...

Ceramic coating these parts makes them look nice for sure. We do not believe that a reduction in hood temperature that they speculatively offer as much of a benefit. Basically, we don't feel like there's that much of a meaningful difference to warrant spending the extra money. But they definitely add to the look of the part and so many of those yes or going to love that aspect.

We believe that if you want to insulate the exhaust parts you really would be best to wrap them. However we would strongly suggest not wrapping high flow pretty cats because they're already pretty sensitive to high temperatures. The converter cores in those weren't really meant to be placed so close to the engine. It's not impossible for them to overheat and breakdown. Wrapping them is just going to increase the probability of it.

Key to longevity of your RV6 HFPCs is a properly tuned fuel map. Hit up Heeltoe for a KTuner!
Can't disagree with that. It's hard to tell what effect KTuner has had on the cats but it's sure helped unlock the potential of all the bolt-ons on my 4G. And as we all know, a rich fuel trim is going to kill the cats pretty quick.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
An aftermarket in take or other intake mods can dork with the AFR causing lean running that raises cylinder temps which increases exhaust temps and torches the cats. This is FAR MORE DAMAGING than a few degrees reduction underhood from ceramic coating. (rich mixture is cooler actually, but rich running can coat the converters in HCs and cause them to light-of and super-heat and melt them...bottom line, the AFR is the key to keeping cat healthy and your ass effectively pressed into the seat).

Save coating money, buy a Ktuner or a Flashpro and get your car runnin' right 'n' tight!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
I got the ceramic coating on my RV6 HFPCs. They do run cooler with the coating. I recommend it, even in mild weather climates.

$150 for coating was reasonable.