Does anyone have experience with halferland performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have experience with halferland performance?

I was looking into cams and some other power adders for my 2010 TL tech when i found halferland performance. I looked up some of their YouTube videos but i wanted to know if there is someone who has experience with the company.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear

Their website is Welcome to HalferLand Performance - The J-Series Freaks
Old 08-19-2020, 08:44 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
looks to be very solid work. thank you for introducing us to new j-series freaks.
if you wanted to know more information, Just call them..
The following users liked this post:
LongLurkerTL12 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:47 PM

reading more; they just regrind stock cams.
LongLurkerTL12 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 10:01 PM
Gang Gang

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by joe solo
I was looking into cams and some other power adders for my 2010 TL tech when i found halferland performance. I looked up some of their YouTube videos but i wanted to know if there is someone who has experience with the company.

Bish does some amazing work. 700 is what they charge from what I remember not one bad comment from anyone on them that I know off and Fast support too. Cams are regrinded as justinspace said. You'll pretty much just be moving the power band from one area to another. They can't go bigger but they can make them more aggressive I guess you could say.

They will also need stronger seats, probably wprings as well as retainers, we have alot so not super cheap. And the cams are regrind for your type of built so getting it done for a later build is a no no. Cams should be last on the list imo. Your car your build, you may do as you please. But moving the power band on a stock motor is silly since acura built them to the max with safety in mind.

All in all experience isn't really the question it's more of what justinspace said. Give them a call and talk to them tell them your built and go from there. They built them for these motors so they are not ignorant like a backyard express service technician. Check out both companies give them a call and pull the trigger.
justnspace (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 09:13 AM

additionally; what we have found with regrinds....

Originally Posted by I_Love_cars
....The problem here was that it was determined there is some goofy lobe separation from the factory TL cams, so when you regrind - the bigger you go on the cam, the more pronounced the separation. You'd probably never notice until you were on a dyno. The car would still fire up and idle ok, although we found a bug in Flashpro's live-tuning tables that caused the car to go on the fritz that at first we attributed to the cams.

There's a bit more to it but the process of measuring everything and proving out that Webcams' regrinds were causing valve timing issues, degree'ing stock cams and a couple sets of regrinds, blah blah blah ended up costing roughly $4k just in labor. I probably chewed through $6k on the cams alone which was absurd.

The conclusion is that you can regrind the TL cams and it will run, however, with a big enough regrind, you will lose a shitload of power down low and have some odd behavior above 6400 rpm. With the regrind by itself, I lost 40 wtq at 2k and by 3k it was leveling out. Up top, there was a solid digger from the cam position and valve timing being fucked.

The solution here was to make some custom cuts on the cam gears themselves, to physically reposition the cams. This fixed the valve timing so it was only off by a couple degrees which is not a big deal, and resolved ALL of my power loss issues. With the cam gears in place, I was able to retain all of my low end torque from when I had stock cams. The dyno chart line is almost identical as you will see.

So anyways, in the midst of this the heads were being milled, and we hit a limit of 40 thou on j35a8 heads because the center cylinders were at their piston-to-valve clearance limit by that point. It was still enough to make 12:1 compression exactly, which I was happy with.....

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...mplete-897606/
LongLurkerTL12 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 04:07 PM
Gang Gang

Originally Posted by justnspace

wow that sounds like a really bad experience.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
halferland and some other shit company advertising cam work has ruined some folks engines on the Acura TL facebook group, be careful.

Last edited by csmeance; 08-20-2020 at 04:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by csmeance:
justnspace (08-21-2020), LongLurkerTL12 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 10:56 PM
Gang Gang

^^^ Good looking out!

Yeah those guys are a joke they want almost $500 for an intake manifold full port and polish using your manifold

If anything just go with bisimoto AND TELL THEM YOUR BUILD they have been around forever and are known for their work. Stick to the company's that you know work. There is no reason to try and save a few dollars on an expensive car. Cams will cost have of what the engine is worth. a couple grand in waste for a few hp isn't worth it.
justnspace (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 12:08 AM

Bisi outsources the work to webgrinds!
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
Bense (03-01-2021), bigwavedave25 (09-01-2020), csmeance (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 12:28 AM
Gang Gang

Bisi outsources the work to webgrinds!
If they send them out atleaset they are reputable enough to be trusted who they send them too!
Old 08-22-2020, 06:51 AM
Transmission Pro

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

That is dependent upon the camshaft profile. Halfer is a member of my private Honda Pirate Engineering group on facebook and he's posted a good amount about the cams in there. He has spent a lot of time and energy getting the issues sorted out with them.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:29 AM
ALW
Cruisin'

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Giving them (him, since it’s only 1 guy), a call is a no go. He does not provide a phone number and only wants to communicate via email. He told me this when I was emailing him asking a few questions. A few guys I have talked to said that they have had no problems with halferland and his products, and others have told me that he basically copies other people’s products and rebrands them. I have been told that his hypereutectic pistons are simply Chinese cast pistons, but halferland is apparently making 600whp on them right now, so they seem to be working for him so far, and in all honesty I might try them out on a future build if he proves to be legit. I communicate with Andy a lot (gerzand) and he told me that halferland is basically banned from many social groups and that he is one of the biggest frauds around, and that all experienced guys know about him. I’m just relating information that may help someone in the future when dealing with this guy. I can’t say for sure if he’s a fraud or not, because I personally have not been wronged by him. Only time will tell. If I buy some parts from him and he comes through then I will put that info here. Same for if he does not come through. We will see
Old 10-14-2020, 12:01 PM
Transmission Pro

Yeah, after I posted this I actually had some interesting experiences. I thought about this thread and how I might want to retract what I'd previously said.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:45 PM
ALW
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Bense
Yeah, after I posted this I actually had some interesting experiences. I thought about this thread and how I might want to retract what I'd previously said.
Share your interesting experience, this should be good lol
Old 10-14-2020, 09:48 PM
Transmission Pro

Originally Posted by ALW
Share your interesting experience, this should be good lol
Honestly, I have way, way too much experience with him. As in, hearing about him. I invited him into a facebook group chat last year between myself and about 5-6 other guys. It became so outrageous and so toxic that I had to remove him from the group chat. Between him another guy. I have notifications turned off of all of my group chats -- but my friends starting PMing me, being like "dude, I don't even know how to respond because I've never seen two grown men just going at it like this before". (all of us in the group chat are in our late 30s/early-mid 40s). I started to read it but I honestly got to a point where I lost interest reading. I could pull up the chats if I wanted to, but you'd have to feed me a bunch of alcohol and/or pay me a lot of money for me to go back and read all that crap. It could very well have not even been his fault. I don't know, don't care enough to know lol.

I started my own facebook group 'Honda Pirate Engineering' (because Andy Gerzina sucks and he banned me from his crappy "J-series Nation" because he bans anyone that knows more than he does / feels 'threatened' by, that he doesn't have business ties with). Halferland was in the group for a while. I'm not sure if he is still in there but there were a few threads in there that got out of hand. Or maybe I'm the asshole and I banned him? I forget lol.

A lot of people don't seem to like it when I say this, but the harsh reality is that automotive performance is an area of automotive engineering. In order for someone to actually make strides and develop integral components that are ubiquitously superior to the OEM counterparts, then, in general, you really need to know what you're doing and/or have a foundation in engineering to be able to accomplish this successfully.

Rileystl (07-08-2022)
Old 10-15-2020, 02:16 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly, I have way, way too much experience with him. As in, hearing about him. I invited him into a facebook group chat last year between myself and about 5-6 other guys. It became so outrageous and so toxic that I had to remove him from the group chat. Between him another guy. I have notifications turned off of all of my group chats -- but my friends starting PMing me, being like "dude, I don't even know how to respond because I've never seen two grown men just going at it like this before". (all of us in the group chat are in our late 30s/early-mid 40s). I started to read it but I honestly got to a point where I lost interest reading. I could pull up the chats if I wanted to, but you'd have to feed me a bunch of alcohol and/or pay me a lot of money for me to go back and read all that crap. It could very well have not even been his fault. I don't know, don't care enough to know lol.

I started my own facebook group 'Honda Pirate Engineering' (because Andy Gerzina sucks and he banned me from his crappy "J-series Nation" because he bans anyone that knows more than he does / feels 'threatened' by, that he doesn't have business ties with). Halferland was in the group for a while. I'm not sure if he is still in there but there were a few threads in there that got out of hand. Or maybe I'm the asshole and I banned him? I forget lol.

A lot of people don't seem to like it when I say this, but the harsh reality is that automotive performance is an area of automotive engineering. In order for someone to actually make strides and develop integral components that are ubiquitously superior to the OEM counterparts, then, in general, you really need to know what you're doing and/or have a foundation in engineering to be able to accomplish this successfully.

dude Gerzina is a veteran in the community if anything you suck and your wack ass private group with 100 members👎🏾🤣
Old 10-15-2020, 03:13 AM
Transmission Pro

Originally Posted by arileon1
dude Gerzina is a veteran in the community if anything you suck and your wack ass private group with 100 members👎🏾🤣
And I'm not a veteran?

Andy Gerzina does not have a mechanical engineering education, I do. He's in a completely different field of work that is not automotive engineering. What more needs to be said?

I'm in Greenville, South Carolina. We have ZF Manufacturing, BMW Manufacturing, GE Gas Turbines, Borg-Warner is up the road in Asheville -- There's a lot of manufacturing in this area, not to mention Clemson's CUICAR (Clemson University International Center of Automotive Research). I've got a network of friends from school that are employed engineers at these manufacturing facilities. So, how do I suck?

J-series nation is filled with posts from people that are asking questions about things that are already printed in the service manual. My group has mostly engineers in it, and I like the fact that its a small group of people because that means its less political and us geeks and just discuss whatever we want to discuss. But to be honest, its not something that I really pay attention to (hence the reason that I said earlier about how I don't remember if Halferland is in my group). I do not care about trying to make my group a large group, its not something I spend energy on. I don't follow it. I don't get notifications for it, and I honestly don't even know how many people are in the group.

Here's an example of the direction I'm going in.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/transm...ype-r-3346496/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/transm...-sbxm-3345057/

I mostly hang out in the HTS (https://hondatuningsuite.com/) discord chat with the developers. They're experts and they share information, for free. Like I do.

So go ahead, hate on that.
csmeance (07-11-2022)
Old 10-15-2020, 04:22 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And I'm not a veteran?

Andy Gerzina does not have a mechanical engineering education, I do. He's in a completely different field of work that is not automotive engineering. What more needs to be said?

I'm in Greenville, South Carolina. We have ZF Manufacturing, BMW Manufacturing, GE Gas Turbines, Borg-Warner is up the road in Asheville -- There's a lot of manufacturing in this area, not to mention Clemson's CUICAR (Clemson University International Center of Automotive Research). I've got a network of friends from school that are employed engineers at these manufacturing facilities. So, how do I suck?

J-series nation is filled with posts from people that are asking questions about things that are already printed in the service manual. My group has mostly engineers in it, and I like the fact that its a small group of people because that means its less political and us geeks and just discuss whatever we want to discuss. But to be honest, its not something that I really pay attention to (hence the reason that I said earlier about how I don't remember if Halferland is in my group). I do not care about trying to make my group a large group, its not something I spend energy on. I don't follow it. I don't get notifications for it, and I honestly don't even know how many people are in the group.

Here's an example of the direction I'm going in.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/transm...ype-r-3346496/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/transm...-sbxm-3345057/

I mostly hang out in the HTS (https://hondatuningsuite.com/) discord chat with the developers. They're experts and they share information, for free. Like I do.

So go ahead, hate on that.

Okay
btw this is referring to "the guy from BenseBuilt"

Old 10-15-2020, 04:50 AM
Transmission Pro

You're not showing me anything that I'm not already aware of.

That guy approached me in all the wrong ways possible and I lost it. He wanted me to build him a transmission like the 'proof-of-concept' transmission that I built for myself, and send it to him so that he could install it in his 1g NSX. In exchange, he was going to provide me with "publicity" and he offered to create a "website" for me. I told him that I wasn't interested in anything that he was offering me. He didn't seem to understand why I didn't want to sponsor him and I finally just lost it.

One of the very few benefits of doing this stuff for free like the FOSS devs, is that I can say whatever I want because I don't have a reputation that I need to protect. I don't sell products and I don't want business. All I care about doing is geeking out, reverse engineering, tinkering with hondas. I can't stand talking about this type of drama because its annoying and pointless. All I want to do is talk nerdy about car stuff because its awesome.

I'm going to bow out of this thread for now. If you have any further questions please PM me.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:48 AM
ALW
Cruisin'

so I did buy some stuff from halferland, but after doing further research I approached him asking for a refund for some of it. He tried to explain that “here at halferland.....” I can’t really read all of that stuff he sends sometimes. But long story short he refunded me. So he didn’t decide to not communicate and keep my money, but if he did I would have went through PayPal anyways. So he might be rebranding parts or whatever but as far as business goes he will work with you. I wasn’t expecting him to cooperate on the refund to be honest. Also side note hypereutectic pistons aren’t that bad but they aren’t the same as fully forged pistons. You can make some power on them but I think I’d rather spend the extra few hundred for the forged pistons. If you look at the pistons halferland is selling you can clearly see the part # on top. Nothing more than a oem cast piston put through that “hypereutectic” process. Like I said, halferland is pushing 600 with them so I guess they hold up, but I still would rather throw in a forged piston. As far as gerzy goes he hasn’t done me wrong. He gives some great tips and advice, tells me what he would and wouldn’t do and then whatever I decide after that is up to me. He simply just shares with me what he has seen work and fail in the past, which makes my r&d process much simpler. I can easily focus on building vs trying something that he has seen fail for some people.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:50 PM
Transmission Pro

Deleted posts. Lovely.
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Project TL

Originally Posted by joe solo
I live in jacksonville, FL and bought an intake, exhaust from them but when I wanted to get my heads casted I went down to Brandon, FL. They also made my custom Haltech R3 harness and remotely tuned my car. These guys know everything about the J series engines. I've been using them for a little over a year now and haven't had any issues with deliveries. Its pricey but you get what you pay for...
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
Transmission Pro

Originally Posted by Florida06TL
I live in jacksonville, FL and bought an intake, exhaust from them but when I wanted to get my heads casted I went down to Brandon, FL. They also made my custom Haltech R3 harness and remotely tuned my car. These guys know everything about the J series engines. I've been using them for a little over a year now and haven't had any issues with deliveries. Its pricey but you get what you pay for...
By 'they', are you referring to an individual person with an unspecified gender?