Dealer Warranty J-Pipe & Test Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Dealer Warranty J-Pipe & Test Pipe

This may have been asked before but please bare with me. Has anyone had the dealer immediately void your warranty upon seeing an aftermarket J-pipe? I hear it may void warranty but its rare that I've ever read a thread anywhere an individual had their warranty completely voided.

Case 1: Car goes in for an oil change/service, Tech literally stops and notifies you that you voided your warranty because your car is no longer "stock".

Case 2: Car goes in for service and when you actually have a check engine due to any cause except for anything pertaining to your exhaust system, the Tech says its because you changed "stock" exhaust to aftermarket, without identifying a code or the actual cause.

I know this is very subjective but I've taken into account relationships people have with their dealer and techs. I've noted also that the dealer cannot actually void your warranty unless what you replaced is the cause of the problem you are trying to fix. How do these two scenarios play out for the test pipe? Hearing that the 3rd cat is not governed by anything can it cause any problems the "dealer" might be inclined to suggest one?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Danyoung

Case 1: Car goes in for an oil change/service, Tech literally stops and notifies you that you voided your warranty because your car is no longer "stock".
well if your going in for oil change and not for warranty work, they shouldnt void your warranty at all because its only maintainence. I cannot speak for all the dealers but dealers here in socal dont do that.. i had a 05 rsx-s aspec and it had headers and exhaust. It was always serviced through dealer till i sold it when it had 90k on it. never had an issue with the dealership.

Case 2: Car goes in for service and when you actually have a check engine due to any cause except for anything pertaining to your exhaust system, the Tech says its because you changed "stock" exhaust to aftermarket, without identifying a code or the actual cause.
If it is a check engine light, they will have to see what is it for.. if its under emissions, then they can void your warranty, if its something other than emissions like a tranny issue or something like that then it should not void your warranty as a modified exhaust is in no relation to the transmission. They cannot void your warranty without probable cause.

I know this is very subjective but I've taken into account relationships people have with their dealer and techs. I've noted also that the dealer cannot actually void your warranty unless what you replaced is the cause of the problem you are trying to fix. How do these two scenarios play out for the test pipe? Hearing that the 3rd cat is not governed by anything can it cause any problems the "dealer" might be inclined to suggest one?
well as you stated.. the 3rd cat is not governed.. thus the car wont read that there is anything wrong with it. But the dealer is in all rights to just say "hey its your test pipe, your warranty is voided" but it has to be in relation with the test pipe.. like a check engine light for emissions.

i suggest that if you have a check engine light and would want the dealer to fix it, i would take off all the parts just for extra piece of mind..

Here is a good find:

Aftermarket parts or modifications: This aspect of warranty coverage has a great deal of gray area. Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty.
"Some dealerships may say 'just because you have a [cold air] intake or something' that the whole vehicle warranty is voided," explains Loren Wong, Edmunds associate business analyst and a former warranty administrator for BMW and Acura. "That's not true."
The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.
However, if the reason for a parts failure is unclear, a dealer will usually charge you to diagnose the vehicle. If the aftermarket part was not properly installed or a modification led to a component failure, it is within the dealer's right to void the warranty for that part, and you will have to pay for the repairs out of pocket. If the aftermarket parts had nothing to do with the repairs in question, you will be refunded the fee for the diagnosis.
Any aftermarket performance parts on your vehicle can cause a dealer to suspect that you either drive the car hard or possibly race it. "Although they may not void warranties," Wong added, "modifications may raise a red flag when vehicles are in for service. If consumers who mod their cars do a little research, they may find certain dealerships that are a little more 'mod-friendly.'"

Last edited by potmilkz; 01-15-2013 at 05:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Danyoung (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Every dealership deals with "how aftermarket parts affect factory warranty" differently.

So it is best to "act dumb" and ask your own dealership explicitly. Even better if the dealership can give you it's own policy in black & white, so there will be no confusion even after the service guy you talked to, has left the dealership afterwards.
The following users liked this post:
Danyoung (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I really appreciate the input that cleared the lot of questions up. I'll definitely read up on the ACT and talk to my dealer in person before anything gets done.

I had issues with my S4 at an Audi dealership, where I changed my stock downpipe to a larger diameter, straight piped through to tips and they wanted to void my warranty due to a check engine light. Their explanation was how freakishly loud the car was, the shop foreman asked me "Does this car sound stock, NO!” End of story it was a PCV valve leak, they could not prove it. On the other hand I bought a mustang GT 5.0 and I will point out Galpin Ford. To make things short Galpin told me any modification GAS (oh they know what they are doing) applies to my car the warranty will stay intact (Galpin owns GAS). GAS was okay with charging me nearly $7500 (Was sure I was fine) for wheels, kleeman headers, x pipe, and some bassini mufflers. When I went in for my first service, the adjustor, after starting up my car to pull it away, stepped out, came to me and asked if I had cats, boom my warranty is voided.

However, back to the TL. This is my first TL, first Acura. I'm curious tosee what they will say once I call them and ask them. I want to purchase a full exhaust system J-Pipe>Test Pipe>Full System. Seeing how the 3rdcat is ungoverned, and the J-pipe being nothing more than a pipe, I cannot foresee a problem. Thanks for the input again.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I have a full exhaust system, often go to two different dealers and neither of them have voided my warranty. Most recent warranty things I've had taken care of were the torque converter software update and having my propeller shaft replaced. Both dealerships employees are crazy about my car and I have to be very careful to avoid the tech's ragging on it to see how fast it goes/car sounds. I did have a scare a few weeks ago where I had a check engine light due to emissions, I believe it was due to a bad batch of gas I got at a sketchy spot though; it has since cleared by itself. But before it cleared I called the two dealers I frequent and explained my situation they both said something along the lines of if it's directly caused by the aftermarket part they will not cover... Knowing Honda/Acura I expected it to be a fouled O2 sensor and was going to change it out myself since I thought they might try to justify it being damaged due to aftermarket cats.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In my opinion and experience warranty is only voided for the area affected due to upgrades. Ie suspension will void alignment issues,
Intake will affect mas airflow.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
they can't void your warranty just because you have aftermarket parts.

if you install nitrous and your engine blows up - i would say you hae problems.

if you have a cold air intake and your nav system fails - I think you are covered!

use common sense. given that most of us woudl be installing springs, intakes, exhausts.. virutally none of that stuff is goign to cause catastrophic failures..so a dealer would have a hard time saying that a cat back made something go bad...

people installing chips on their 335i that crank up boost..and then they suffer some kind of engine failure... I could see their warranty being voided...at least as to the engine failure...
Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
No dealer or manufacturer can simply void your entire warranty just because they feel like it. There are laws against that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Just depends on how much you want to spend on a lawyer should the need arise.

Personally, I don't rely on warranties for anything, so I tend to stay away from car companies that typically require a lot of them (...which is why I don't by GM or Chrysler products). It's too easy for them to say something that you did caused the issue, be it "beating on the car" or some specific mod - because they basically know that unless you spend the $ to take it to court you're going to take whatever they want to give you.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
they can't void your warranty just because you have aftermarket parts.

if you install nitrous and your engine blows up - i would say you hae problems.

if you have a cold air intake and your nav system fails - I think you are covered!

use common sense. given that most of us woudl be installing springs, intakes, exhausts.. virutally none of that stuff is goign to cause catastrophic failures..so a dealer would have a hard time saying that a cat back made something go bad...

people installing chips on their 335i that crank up boost..and then they suffer some kind of engine failure... I could see their warranty being voided...at least as to the engine failure...

neglagence is the key.. if installed incorrectly or not well taken care of properly.. any aftermarket part can cause catastrophic failures. even installing aftermarket lug nuts.. then having your studs break due to over torquing and try to blame the dealer because the studs were defective..

ive read about it somewhere where this guy tried to do it, and dealer said "fuck you, you caused this shit" indirectly..