Voice command limitations

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

At the outset, I want to be clear that this is not meant as criticism of the voice command system; more of a commentary on one aspect I'm surprised they missed in the design, and that I'm hopeful would be remedied in future versions. It's really a small thing. I've decided that I haven't been making enough use of this system, so I've been experimenting more, and was surprised to learn that "Display Wallpaper" is not a recognized command. Like some, I like to have access to the system, so I click the confirmation screen, but day to day don't need the nav up. Wallpaper is a nice option, and I know that you can display it after confirming (though it has the little graphic in the corner telling you to click OK to exit...this isn't needed, since hitting just about any button would exit), but you can't choose to display the wallpaper while the car is in motion (which also doesn't make sense...if it's safety, why let me push all the necessary buttons, only to deny me right at the end). Voice control over this would seem to be a given, but it wasn't built in. Perhaps they'll change this one day.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Agrreee

I hear ya, they need to rethink this thru...
Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Yea, I'm surprised too.

On the 3G, you can say, "Display Audio Screen" and it goes to the radio/XM screen instead of the Nav. You can then verbally reverse it by saying, "Navigation Screen". "Wallpaper" would have been a great option.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Yea, I'm surprised too.

On the 3G, you can say, "Display Audio Screen" and it goes to the radio/XM screen instead of the Nav. You can then verbally reverse it by saying, "Navigation Screen". "Wallpaper" would have been a great option.
That's why I find it odd; "Display Audio", and "Display Nav" work on the 4G, replacing one button push, but a more complex thing like the wallpaper, where voice command would help, is a no go.

Again...good system. Could be a touch better.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
How many of you use the Voice Command? I never do. Tried it the other day and it didn't do what I wanted. I actually rented a Ford Fusion the other day and loved the voice system. I could say any name in my phonebook and it came right up. I think I only got 1 error in 4 days of using it. I could even pick up my phone, dial a number and it came up on the speakers. I didn't have to do anything else. On the Acura, you have to wait until they answer then select the Acura system for a call to come up. I feel like I am doing something wrong as it is more complicated than an entry level Ford... I also rented a Toyota last week and found the bluetooth phone connection to be easier than ours.

Any ideas? I would love some tips.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:21 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
I did, only for the first few weeks after getting the new car.

But not anymore now, in particular I always have to double-check to see if the car understood my commands and didn't change something else instead.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

I've kinda been the same way, but that's why I'm making more of an effort to use it. I figure part of my reluctance is in not fully knowing how it works, and perhaps with a little trial and error, I'll embrace it. From what I've seen, it's certainly not the best system out there, and I'm often tempted to ditch it entirely, and attach my BlueAnt S4, which was much more useful for taking and making calls. Time will tell.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A frustrating interface and a complete waste of my $$$. I only got it because wife wanted the B/U camera.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every time I hit the voice command button I get the 15 second voice instruction intro before I can verbally give a command. Other then hitting the buttom twice is there another way to by pass the intro command intruction and go right to the voice command phase?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the benefit of the voice command is probably learning some of the commands that directly accomplish what might take you a few clicks into the menu to accomplish. Not that I've figured those out or had a need for them. But otherwise, it seems like a painfully slow way to get things done.

Originally Posted by rthammer

Every time I hit the voice command button I get the 15 second voice instruction intro before I can verbally give a command. Other then hitting the buttom twice is there another way to by pass the intro command intruction and go right to the voice command phase?
I've been fooling around with it, and haven't noticed that behavior. I know there's a setting to turn off the voice confirmation (or something like that). Maybe having that setting on is causing your issue?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 07-10-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you both - will look into it
Old 07-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rthammer

Push the button twice in quick succession.

Originally Posted by tenstrum
Push the button twice in quick succession.
Never mind, didn't read his entire question. Can we not edit our own posts?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 07-10-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:07 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
^^^^^

Only for about 5 mins right after posting the message, and not any more afterwards.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine works great with numbers, sucks with everything else... including letters or words. Navigation would be much better if I could spell stuff out instead of cranking the knob.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmkenn0
Mine works great with numbers, sucks with everything else... including letters or words. Navigation would be much better if I could spell stuff out instead of cranking the knob.
It doesn't recognize my voice too well (or I haven't learned to speak to it). Have you tried spelling via codewords (Alpha, Bravo, etc.)?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Account closed

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Not really digging the voice for much

Rumor has it that Honda is going to put something like the Ford system in the new gen Accords so most likely we will see a new Acura system soon?

At least my '10 CR-V had a touch nav screen, I guess I'm looking for quite a bit more tech when I go to a '14 model