Viper Smart Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper Smart Start

Hey guys I just got my viper smart start installed in my 2012 TL SH...Having an issue...While driving i would get this error message flashing orange on the dash saying something about the keyless entry of the car... then a message pops up on the navi saying that car may shut off while driving and to take immediately to the dealer...I had the alarm installed at a viper dealership... The installer has no clue on how to fix it...He says that he has done this car a bunch of times and has never gotten that error... The flashing error is annoying cuz it not only flashes but it beeps!... So upset....Please help...Thanks, Ray....
Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Take it back to the installer and have him trouble shoot the system.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Instructor

I have the same remote start and same issue. Its the module thats causing it. I'm going to assume the module is the same one I have, Xpresskit DBALL. The company is working on a fix for it, and when its available, go back to the dealer and have them flash the new firmware onto your module.
I found that I do not get the error message if I shut down the car remotely, or let the timer run out. It only happens to me when I open the door while the car is still running.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear

Yea extactly... Once i open my door the car shuts downs... If i wait a couple of seconds before starting the car or remotely turn it off i wont get the error... Thanks son i guess i'll just wait for that firmware update... Thanks!...
Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
yep, I had the same error with both my viper systems..in my 09 (got installed in '10)...and on my '11 (got installed this Christmas)

I have an even weirder one on my '11...while I was driving it was flashing very fast on/off about the error (for a good 20 seconds). I'm taking it back to the installer this week, was scheduled to go yesterday but we got a ton of snow up here.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:42 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
one simple solution, dont install it till a final version is out..

why pay for shit that dont work?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:43 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
I wanted to get a viper system as well, but was warned ahead of time that the push to start cars will most likely have issues vs a key that you crank
Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very disappointing to hear this. i was about to pull the trigger on one myself. but my AWD Advance has push start, so i will be waiting until i know the issue is resolved. I love Acurazine, for this very reason. I don't know why i wasn't on it with my 2005 TL.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
one simple solution, dont install it till a final version is out..

why pay for shit that dont work?

What a helpful comment
Sometimes it's better to just not write something.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Instructor

The firmware for the module covers many vehicles, not just the TL. Acura models with the MID suffer from the issue noted above. Its pretty annoying but it does not affect the keyless start system.
To be honest, if I had known about the issue I may not have installed it. However, since I know how to work around it, I'm fine with it until the fix comes out.
Here is the toll free tech support number for Xpresskit, the company that makes the module for our cars, 1-800-361-7271. I would call them and let them know of the issue if you have one installed, and maybe even call them to let them know that you will NOT install this product in your car until the issue is resolved. Some pissed off customers could get them motivated to fix this quicker.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good advice slick. thanks for providing the number. i will call them.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MoneyMakin173
Hey guys I just got my viper smart start installed in my 2012 TL SH...Having an issue...While driving i would get this error message flashing orange on the dash saying something about the keyless entry of the car... then a message pops up on the navi saying that car may shut off while driving and to take immediately to the dealer...I had the alarm installed at a viper dealership... The installer has no clue on how to fix it...He says that he has done this car a bunch of times and has never gotten that error... The flashing error is annoying cuz it not only flashes but it beeps!... So upset....Please help...Thanks, Ray....
Originally Posted by slick316
I have the same remote start and same issue. Its the module thats causing it. I'm going to assume the module is the same one I have, Xpresskit DBALL. The company is working on a fix for it, and when its available, go back to the dealer and have them flash the new firmware onto your module.
I found that I do not get the error message if I shut down the car remotely, or let the timer run out. It only happens to me when I open the door while the car is still running.
Where did you install it & how much did it cost?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Instructor

I paid cost for my smart start and module, It was $240 or so. My friend owns a mobile electronics store and hooks me up.

I think the smart start retails at $400 installed and $75-$100 for that module.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
NE1 know if new firmware has been released to fix this problem?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MoneyMakin173
...Once I open my door the car shuts downs...
I really want to get a Viper system but I really don't like hearing about the issues with the MID. In addition to wondering if there's a fix yet, can someone clarify the above quote? That behavior is as bad as the factory remote starter - do you really mean that the car shuts down after remote starting just by opening the door?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Just an update, the module still doesn't have the updated firmware available, and to be honest, don't hold your breath of it releasing. I still think people should call Xpresskit to voice there opinion on the matter.

BartmanEH, as a safety feature, the car will turn off when the door is opened/unlocked (not sure which one).
Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Just an update, the module still doesn't have the updated firmware available, and to be honest, don't hold your breath of it releasing. I still think people should call Xpresskit to voice there opinion on the matter.
I've emailed the xpresskit folks to express that I won't be installing one of Viper systems based on xpresskit's DB-ALL interfaces as long as this problem persists.

BartmanEH, as a safety feature, the car will turn off when the door is opened/unlocked (not sure which one).
Is there anyway to remote start the car and get into it and drive away without having to restart the car?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BartmanEH
I've emailed the xpresskit folks to express that I won't be installing one of Viper systems based on xpresskit's DB-ALL interfaces as long as this problem persists.

Is there anyway to remote start the car and get into it and drive away without having to restart the car?
Honestly, I don't think it will ever do that, regardless of how the module gets updated, I'm sure it will always shut off first.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Instructor

Well I'm shocked. This is the single biggest complaint of the factory remote start system - the fact that it shuts down when you open a door. Now I find out that even a premium aftermarket system like the Viper (or more correctly, the xpresskit DA-BALL) suffers from the same limitation.

Argh, so much for Viper. I guess I'll look at other aftermarket systems.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Instructor

I looked at the documentation for the xpresskit DB-ALL and here's the kicker: "WARNING: No takeover feature is available. The engine will stop when a door is opened." It definitely looks like a limitation of the Acura security system. Too bad.

Anyone know of an aftermarket remote start that gets around this limitation in our 4G?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
The way this "limitation" was explained to me, by a few alarm installers I talked with, is so someone doesn't just steal your car once it's remote started. In most vehicles with a remote start, pushing the brake without the key in the ignition kills the car. With this being push button start and them fooling the car into thinking the fob is there to start it, anyone could just drive off with it.

Again this is how the several installers explained it to me when I asked last year and was considering getting one. They told me it's not just Viper, but any remote start would operate the same.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:06 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
^^^^^

In that case, all aftermarket alarm manufacturers are going to include this "limitation" into their alarm systems so as to safeguard themselves from potential thief-related liability issues.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Its definitely the car that has the safety feature because my installer friend has noted that there are other cars that have a takeover feature, like the current gen Nissan Altima. It definitely sucks since I am used to having the car stay running when I get in so I don't have to restart it. At this point, I'd be happy if the car didn't wig out on me after a remote start.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't mean to resurrect a dead thread for nothing, but it if it helps someone, so be it.

I have the Clifford braded SmartStart system. I only receive the flashing orange message and Nav alert when I restart the car with the push button very quickly after the engine shuts off from opening the door. What I mean is, you remote start the car, it'll shut down when you open the door, as we all know. But when you open the door, you'll hear a short chime a second later and a click as the steering wheel relocks. From what my installer said, this has something to do with the security system resetting. If you start the car via the push button ignition within that 1.5 second period where you first open the door, you'll get that error because you started the car while your security system was in that limbo mode. It's annoying, but the only times it happened to me is when I was in a hurry and restarted the car before I even got my driver door closed. Take a second to wait, and all is well.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's a video of the chime I'm talking about. I have Lock3X from my factory fob as a backup and used it for the video as opposed to the SmartStart App since I was videotaping with my phone.

Some notes: I was wrong about the steering wheel lock, you don't hear it click. Also, if there's a chime going because the headlights are on, you won't hear this one, but the concept is the same...just wait a few seconds before starting with the push button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjCbU...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

Hey does anyone know if the viper issue has been fixed?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:50 AM
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts
I've been considering a remote starter but if there will be ANY issues, I'd rather just pass until someone confirms a remote start with 0 issues.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Instructor

My Viper Smart Start developed a pretty dumb issue last year, I disconnected it and haven't used it since.

Basically it would shut my car off while driving. Luckily it never did it while the car was moving, but on a 20 minute commute, it would do it 2-3 times at a light.

I was so tired of it I just gave up, disconnected it and cancelled my smart start subscription.

Next time, I'll buy a car that has factory remote start like the new MDX or something.