Valentine One Hardwire & Remote Display

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valentine One Hardwire & Remote Display

Have any of you hardwired a V1 w/ remote display on your 4g TL? I'm picking up a 2010 SH-AWD Tech 6spd after xmas and I cannot live without my V1. I've searched and found some installs in other Acuras but not the 4g TL. Where did you mount the remote display and the V1? Has anyone used the stealthcord solution, or wired into the RVM?
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

I am planning on putting my V1 next to the rear view mirror and route the power cable across the headliner and down behind the A pillar garnish. The accessory socket locations suck. Definitely need to hardwired it into the fuse box. Where I live its not illegal to have a radar detector so I don't need a sneaky remote display to mound on top of my steering column. You can wire into fuse #16 in the passengers side under dash fusebox. it is the fuse for the center console accessory socket. or you can splice a wire in the center console that goes to the accessory sockets.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not just wire into the back of the powered rear view mirror?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:16 PM
10th Gear

I was actually thinking of mounting the V1 somewhere on the rear deck and having the remote display in the coin tray. But I just wanted to see if anyone else has done a remote display install in their TL.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cosmoslux
I was actually thinking of mounting the V1 somewhere on the rear deck and having the remote display in the coin tray. But I just wanted to see if anyone else has done a remote display install in their TL.
Not a smart idea. You don't want it that far back you want to see what is coming up in front of you and you want to have the radar detector at a level in the front windshield where it can have a clear line of sight with radars and to pick up laser scatter.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:41 PM
10th Gear

I don't care about the laser warning as it only tells you if you just got a ticket. The radar warnings will not be effected.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Instructor

I don't care about the laser warning as it only tells you if you just got a ticket. The radar warnings will not be effected.
Not true with the laser, the chance is highly that you will get a speeding ticket , but the reflection from another car will give you a heads up with laser if your lucky. And for the thought of mounting on the rear deck that the radar beam will not be effected? This is straight from the valentine website. http://www.valentine1.com/moreinfo/p...ng_pg17-18.pdf

I've seen a car with it in the rear, and at the end of the day it doesn't help and it really doesn't aid the valentine especially from the directional arrow standpoint. But if you truly believe it's better on the rear deck go for it.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bagbklyn
Not a smart idea. You don't want it that far back you want to see what is coming up in front of you and you want to have the radar detector at a level in the front windshield where it can have a clear line of sight with radars and to pick up laser scatter.
I know somebody that mounted in the back and the performance sucked so bad they immediately moved it back up front. As for laser, forget about picking up scatter. Chances are slim to none. I know somebody with 9 laser sensors on their car and they have never picked up scatter.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:05 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by El Genio
I know somebody that mounted in the back and the performance sucked so bad they immediately moved it back up front. As for laser, forget about picking up scatter. Chances are slim to none. I know somebody with 9 laser sensors on their car and they have never picked up scatter.
I had my V1 mounted in the rear of my M3 and it worked perfectly. I have never heard that you need a line of sight for radar. When I had it mounted on the windshield I picked up laser warning four times, three times I was going less than 5mph over and did not get a ticket and one time I was going 17 over and got a ticket for 17 over.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Racer

This may help the ones that need to have a remote display.
http://www.legalspeeding.com/HARD.htm

I use one on my bike and it works perfectly.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Intermediate

I had my V1 mounted in the rear of my M3 and it worked perfectly. I have never heard that you need a line of sight for radar. When I had it mounted on the windshield I picked up laser warning four times, three times I was going less than 5mph over and did not get a ticket and one time I was going 17 over and got a ticket for 17 over.
You don't technically need a line of sight but objects between the antenna and radar source all have an effect on signal received. Some materials have more of an effect than others.
Check this out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI1q2sAvA2c

Last edited by El Genio; 12-24-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Cruisin'

I just finished hardwiring my V1 with remote in my 2010 TL SH-AWD (which I just got last weekend). I will try and post some pictures once I am allowed (don't have enough posts yet).

I used the stealthcord method to tap into the rear view mirror. I cut the black and red wires from the Direct-Wire Power Adapter just before the fuse. I then added some pins from Radio Shack. I mounted the Adapter to the windshield just below the rear view mirror, then used 8" phone cords to the V1 and the remote display.

I placed the V1 to the right of the rear view mirror so that just the rear sensor sticks out from behind the mirror.

I placed the remote on top of the rear view mirror (using Velcro). I like this setup because the V1 is pretty hidden and the remote is easy to see. This set up allows me to lower the driver visor without blocking the V1 or the remote display.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Racer

good luck with a velcro mount. As soon as it warms up the sticky will melt and it will fall. Trust me because I tried the same thing. It failed miserably. I hard wired into the fuse box and put a cutoff switch in one of the blank switch locations left of the steering wheel. I haven't hooked up my remote display yet, but I figure I will put it up against the windshield at the bottom, straight in my line of sight.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could be the industrial stuff that is used to mount toll tags. They are made by 3M though. Those stay on forever.