Use Siri in iPhone 4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:38 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use Siri in iPhone 4S

Does anyone know if it's possible to interact with Siri using the controls in the vehicle. Mine is a 2010 with Nav and BlueTooth.

The Siri documentation says that when using a Bluetooth headset, that you just hold down the call button. Is there an equivalent to this?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 10-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
I tried that and Siri does not interact with the car. I did not think it would, but I gave it a try anyway.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I'm sure Siri is good, Tom. But not that good!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
I was going to tinker with this some today. There would have to be a bluetooth function call to the Siri function that was recognized by the Acura Software.

I don't expect this to be the case. At that point - it kind of makes it like the BT integratoin on the 3G, where you hit the button and speak out everything you want to do explicitly.

The nice thing is, even when locked, all you have to do is hold the button and speak, so if you tell it to call someone, it should bring up your audio source prompts. I think with it set to bt audio as the output device, siri talking back to you should work through the speakers.

I drove the 3G today, or I'd go try it out at lunch.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
I think with it set to bt audio as the output device, siri talking back to you should work through the speakers.
this works, I tested it yesterday.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by misu
this works, I tested it yesterday.
So you can actually talk to the phone (mic) for siri to recognize what you say, and siri would response thru bt audio channel on TL?
Old 10-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
I just tested this again a few moments ago. At least on my car, you can not give Siri instructions via the car's microphone. However, you can hear Siri replies through the car's speakers when you ask questions on the phone. When I tried it a few days ago, I tried to speak through the car's mic and nothing happened, so that is why I stated, it does not work. Really, without it being a two way conversation, I don't see much of a point. It would be really something if the car and Siri worked together.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Again, that's not how the software is designed to work - it would take some collaboration on the part of Apple and Acura, which don't hold your breath. The car and the Siri are both trying to do the same thing. Yield it to Siri, and you lose the climate control voice activation and the onboard nav controls. Yield it to Acura, and you get no direct phone integration. Don't be surprised if the little 3rd party visor bluetooth boxes do exactly what you ask though.

Kind of my thought process for the whole thing; if you get an appleTV and a mini wifi hotspot hooked up to the nav screen (which means reading the readily available schematics and putting an HDMI port on it, not some hackjob analog input box) - you don't need the Acura's voice controls for anything except the car functions. Siri can do all the make a call, send a text, give me directions type stuff, and frankly, better than the Acura nav.

You use the display mirroring function on the nav screen in landscape mode, and you're golden.

I don't even want the huge radio and all the buttons occupying the dashboard - just give me a cradle for the phone and integrate it to the car. Drop the cost of the car by $2500 for all the crap that isn't needed. Its really at the point where you can stream/store any media you'd want to play on the audio system
Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Again, that's not how the software is designed to work - it would take some collaboration on the part of Apple and Acura, which don't hold your breath. The car and the Siri are both trying to do the same thing. Yield it to Siri, and you lose the climate control voice activation and the onboard nav controls. Yield it to Acura, and you get no direct phone integration. Don't be surprised if the little 3rd party visor bluetooth boxes do exactly what you ask though.

Kind of my thought process for the whole thing; if you get an appleTV and a mini wifi hotspot hooked up to the nav screen (which means reading the readily available schematics and putting an HDMI port on it, not some hackjob analog input box) - you don't need the Acura's voice controls for anything except the car functions. Siri can do all the make a call, send a text, give me directions type stuff, and frankly, better than the Acura nav.

You use the display mirroring function on the nav screen in landscape mode, and you're golden.

I don't even want the huge radio and all the buttons occupying the dashboard - just give me a cradle for the phone and integrate it to the car. Drop the cost of the car by $2500 for all the crap that isn't needed. Its really at the point where you can stream/store any media you'd want to play on the audio system
With some cars now serving as their own wifi hotspots, you're probably not far off.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With the fast growing smartphone in the mobile phone market, the AI on the phone would always out pace those embedded system on the viehcle, especially the voice command/recognition part.

The most simple implementation is a dedicate 'pass thru' button on the steering wheel: once this is enable, the handsfree on the car would just acting as a regular bluetooth headset, so the driver can direct communicate to the phone. This would utilize the capability of your mobile device without complicating setup.

I recently got a survey from JD Power, they were asking how often do you use your nav and will you get nav next car, and also something to do with your smart phone nav usage, stuff like that, pretty lengthy and detail. I'm sure they are seeing the smart phone is stepping in this territory.