Poll: Which smartphone mount to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Poll: Which smartphone mount to get?

Being a technology guy, I love my gadgets, especially my smartphones before smartphone became popular in this country (think iPhone invasion).

I've always had a mount and phone holder for my Nokias in the past, but now with my new TL, I'm having a hard time picking which system to get. So I'm asking for your vote.

OPTION 1 - ProClip
Installs onto the center console trim, next to the coin box. A hook with adhesive goes under the trim, and the other hook rests on the trim.

Pros:
  • Close to the hand/shifter for quick usage
  • Close to the ciggy outlet for charging
Cons:
  • Farther down from my driving line of sight
  • Unsure about the placement's firmness, as the adhesive is on one side only, on the hook that goes under the trim on the right.

OPTION 2 - Panavise
Installation goes into the dashboard, with a screw into the invisible part of the dash behind the center air vent.

Pros:
  • Much sturdier
  • Closer to the driving line of sight, similar to the NAV's display height
  • Close to the ciggy outlet for charging
Cons:
  • With my 6' tall body and seat pushed all the way back, I need to lean forward to reach my cell phone
  • Gap between the center air vent and the dash for the metal part protruding out

OPTION 3 - X-Grip
Installs using the RAM-MOUNT's mirror mount system (http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts...2/Default.aspx) that goes underneath the mirror, along with the X-Grip holder.

Pros:
  • Easy access to the phone at perfect line of sight while driving
  • Music player details straight in my sight
  • I can finally do video recording of my driving!
  • Skype while I drive? (Just kidding!)
Cons:
  • I have to find a long enough charging cable that will go up underneath the headliner, down the A-pillar (buying those one time use clips), and either find a way to directly splice into the car's electric system or come out to the ciggy charger
  • My Nokia will always be in landscape mode
  • If I don't feel like putting up the phone on short drives, I have this ugly X metal in the windshield

Thoughts? Voice your opinion with your vote! =)
Attached Thumbnails Poll:  Which smartphone mount to get?-20120501_acuraproclip.jpg   Poll:  Which smartphone mount to get?-20120501_acurapanavise.jpg   Poll:  Which smartphone mount to get?-20120501_acurax-grip.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like option 2 (for sturdiness and placement).

I love the proclip stuff (option 1), but the low placement in the TL sucks and passengers tend to hit your phone or the mount with their left leg or knee.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Used the Proclip for the past 3 years. The mount was more sturdy than I originally expected. Never had a problem with that.
Only down side IMHO was that occasionally the passenger would hit it with their knee.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
I use this:
Amazon Amazon