Playing music from iPhone through USB hook-up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playing music from iPhone through USB hook-up?

When I tried plugging in my iPhone to my 09 Acura TL Tech it said that it couldn't read the data on my phone to play.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Usually i just click yes to that box and it starts playing.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

I am not able to do it either. I get the same error message. I can play by selecting the "Bluetooth" option. But that doesn't give me option to select songs from the Navi screen. I have to use the iPhone which I am trying to avoid. Did you find out how to play from iPhone?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Advanced

I'm not sure. Mine works...

mindyou, I have a 2G phone that is jailbroken if that makes a difference.

But a little screen pops up saying that the device is not compatible and asks if I want to turn airplane mode on or off.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Same here, no issues that I've come across. I'm using the iPhone 3G, and both USB & bluetooth play fine.

Maybe try changing the input on the audio system, then unplug the iPhone and plug it back in, then reselect the aux/iPod input again.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by michmwong
When I tried plugging in my iPhone to my 09 Acura TL Tech it said that it couldn't read the data on my phone to play.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?
I get this sometimes. I just unplug my iphone and plug it back in. I notice the 2010 guys seem not to have the issue. Maybe there is a software update.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 PM
3rd Gear

you need to use an updated USB cable. when i first got my tl, i thought i could use an old ipod (i have a color-screen ipod but it's not a touch and this is the cable that came with it) cable instead of buying a new one, but it wouldn't work. when i took the cable for my iphone 3g to the car, it worked.

by the way, does anyone else think the ipod interface is horrible? i have about 8000 songs on my ipod and when I want to play songs by switchfoot, sufjan, u2, or any other artist at the bottom of the alphabet, i have to turn that knob forever because there is no search feature. do you think acura will remedy that in a software release?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they should also have the pic art shows up on the nav screen...
Old 02-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmack
by the way, does anyone else think the ipod interface is horrible? i have about 8000 songs on my ipod and when I want to play songs by switchfoot, sufjan, u2, or any other artist at the bottom of the alphabet, i have to turn that knob forever because there is no search feature. do you think acura will remedy that in a software release?

i think this problem is discussed in a thread somewhere else, i cant remember off the top of my head but i think organizing in folders was a solution....so basically you would scroll to the "S" folder then in there scroll to switchfoot.....if that makes sense
Old 02-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by dahray02
i think this problem is discussed in a thread somewhere else, i cant remember off the top of my head but i think organizing in folders was a solution....so basically you would scroll to the "S" folder then in there scroll to switchfoot.....if that makes sense
I think it's all about playlists, that was what that thread was about. Create playlists, or break into playlist A, B, C, etc...
Old 02-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by petec2010
I think it's all about playlists, that was what that thread was about. Create playlists, or break into playlist A, B, C, etc...
ahh yea that was it...my bad
Old 02-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't have nearly up to 8K songs. I have about 3K. The way I manage that many songs are playlists. I've painstakenly broken up my songs by mood and genre. To the original poster's question, I'd get a new cable to see if that solves the issue.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear

I have the same problem described here regarding the USB cable interface. My solution has been to unplug it and plug it back in a couple of times. It works most of the times.
I have an iphone 3Gs and a 2010 TL. Even though the specs indicate compatibility with the 5 Gen iPhones, I may have to question that.

I even tried a new Nano and the songs were easily accessible, but it gave me some error message related to charging it.
I have not tried a different cable (it is a new one).
Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
2nd Gear

Question

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but is there a way to select and play the music for a complete artist, whole album or playlist off your Ipod from the console on the 2009 TL tech. All I seem to be able to do is search through and select an individual song. If I want to play a new playlist, I have to unplug the Ipod, select the playlist on the Ipod and then plug it back in - not a very usable or handsfree approach. I have an 80gb Ipod and would love to be able to take advantage of it better.
Thanks,
Old 04-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Cruisin'

Is your Ipod pluged into the usb port?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Cruisin'

I have mine plugged into the usb port and i can search by artist, album, playlist or songs. If it used through bluetooth I cannot controll anything on the ipod through from the cars radio.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:53 PM
2nd Gear

I have it plugged into the USB; however I just discovered what I was doing wrong. Thanks. Now it looks like I'll have to setup a bunch of playlists to cut back all the scrolling you have to do to get through a few hundred artists and albums. Its too bad they don't setup a search similar to the street search in the nav system.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Cruisin'

I know what you mean. It sucks having to scroll through several hundred artist to select someone who starts with a R.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 PM
10th Gear

i asked this question in a different thread the other day when realizing with only 365 playlists (albums) it was impossible to get Rush, Pink Floyd etc.. because it was near the bottom, i called Acura and they told me push the knob to right or left to choose the alphabet but i told them it doesnt work. It's not in the manual either.. Anyhow, i was reading you guys talking about folders, what to do you mean? The TL only sees the playlists and doesnt know how to get to a folder unless im not understanding... I know this is an old thread but maybe i will get a better answer, right now im pretty angry that no one told me this before I got the car when I asked the salesperson this directly.. I was even thinking of getting the 160g ipod but on my current 80, i'm only using 14g. They have the same problem with the hard drive, there is no way to get to the bottom of the list quickly.. I guess I need to stick to Asia, Abba, Jimmy Buffett and Cheap Trick.. Lol.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
So you set every album as a play list? Isn't that counter intuitive? When you press up to search for music you can search by Play List, Artist or Album. I use play lists for my favourite music but when I want to search for a specific artist or album, I can search by those too. However, it does take a while to get to the bottom of the list. I don't think you can go by alphabet. That would have been a nice thing to have.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:34 PM
3rd Gear

I love my 2009 TL, but the software that Acura created is embarassing. I just spoke to Client Services about this issue and he was like, "yeah, I've had phone calls about this, but there's really nothing we can do about it. and there probably won't be a software update to address it."

So Acura is choosing to charge $35k+ for a car and they won't consider making such a simple fix? How much could it possibly cost them to assign one of their software engineers this task? If I have a wreck trying to make it to Weezer, can I sue Acura? After all, it forces me to take my eyes off the road off and on for about 75 turns of the wheel (my wife calls them butter churns). Of course, I'm sure the splash screen I have to say "OK" to every time I crank my car clears them from any liability.

On that note, anyone know how to set it up so you don't get that screen every time?

Oh yeah, and the navi software is horrible too. You never know what street you're coming up on because only one in every five are labeled!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:55 AM
10th Gear

Creating Playlist

The Acura iPod software does have some limitations but is far more intuitive than others I've seen. I have over 300GB of music in my library (25GB on the iPhone and 75 on a iPod) and had problems going through all that data on the devices. The solution, creating playlist for albums . I also make it a duty to ensure that songs are grouped in albums. With the many albums grouped in to smaller playlist I definitely navigate a lot easier on the devices or the Acura's interface.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Yeah it really makes me mad how bad Acura's Technology is compared to Ford (Microsoft) Sync.

A bottom of the line Ford Focus or Fiesta has better device integration than the top of the line Tech package Acuras. It's pretty embarssing when someone in a car a third or quarter the price of yours pulls up next to you and has more capability technologically.

Also... I have an Android phone. And I can stream audio over bluetooth, which, is great, but being able to control certain things would be nicer. The car ONLY has iPod integration, and it sounds like that is lackluster. Though I'm ASSUMING I could mount my phone as a mass storage device and it would read the MP3s, haven't tried this, but I'd rather stream Pandora or my Podcasts.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 PM
2nd Gear

Ipod USB Connection

I just bought a Mac and synced my Ipod Touch with it. Now when I plug it into the USB port in my 2010 TL, it recognizes the Ipod but says "No Song." It plays fine on the AUX line, but not the USB connection. It used to work fine with the USB before I switched from PC to Mac. Anybody know how to fix this problem?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:10 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jmart2941
I just bought a Mac and synced my Ipod Touch with it. Now when I plug it into the USB port in my 2010 TL, it recognizes the Ipod but says "No Song." It plays fine on the AUX line, but not the USB connection. It used to work fine with the USB before I switched from PC to Mac. Anybody know how to fix this problem?
I've had a similar issue with my jailbroken iPhone 4 once in a while (I think it's when I switch to another source and come back to the USB source), the songs on the iPhone are not picked by Acura's head unit. I usually end up disconnecting the iPhone from the USB cable, rebooting it and then plugging it back in. This seems to solve the issue every time.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:52 PM
10th Gear

I have an iPhone 1G (yeah, old school) that i use just for the TL, works great!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:48 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by lji
I've had a similar issue with my jailbroken iPhone 4 once in a while (I think it's when I switch to another source and come back to the USB source), the songs on the iPhone are not picked by Acura's head unit. I usually end up disconnecting the iPhone from the USB cable, rebooting it and then plugging it back in. This seems to solve the issue every time.
Thanks for the tip. I reset all the settings on the Ipod, then re-synced it with the Mac. Now it works fine with the USB port in the Acura.