No 6CD Changer on TL with Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No 6CD Changer on TL with Tech?

I just got my new 2010 TL Tech w/18" wheels to replace my leased '07 TL Tech. So far so good, but despite all my research, I failed to realize the audio system is only single disc. This seems like a step backwards from my '07. I know the current system features HDD storage, but it's lossy, and I prefer to listen to full-res CDs.

Any thoughts on why the absence of the changer? I must say, I'm quite surprised.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by leefarber
I just got my new 2010 TL Tech w/18" wheels to replace my leased '07 TL Tech. So far so good, but despite all my research, I failed to realize the audio system is only single disc. This seems like a step backwards from my '07. I know the current system features HDD storage, but it's lossy, and I prefer to listen to full-res CDs.

Any thoughts on why the absence of the changer? I must say, I'm quite surprised.
I hate all the lossy formats also, the highs always seem messed up. I would assume they only included a single disc, because of all the options of playing music. USB, HDD, streaming bluetooth and the mini jack input.

I also don't understand why we even need the HDD in the radio when you can plug in a 32gb usb stick? Why bother waiting for CD's to be copied to the HDD? What compression do you think they use in the HDD?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 AM
Cruisin'

I suppose you could just rip CDs as lossless Wavs onto a USB stick (or your iPod) and get full CD quality sound that way, right? Man, this is weird... I haven't been without a changer in almost 10 years!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I have to admit that the single CD player was a surprise to me, too.

I guess they think we all have iPod. I guess we do. :-)

Playing audio from the iPhone or iPod seems to sound the best. The ripped CD playing from the HDD doesn't sound quite as good (to me), but it's entirely serviceable and I use the HDD all the time.

Playing audio from the iPhone using Bluetooth sounds very good. The problem there is that you have to use the phone's iPod menu system, since the Nav screen won't show it.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I was surprised, but it didn't really bother me... I don't even have any CD's at home anymore, I just MP3's and FLACs and etc... So I don't mind the CD changer, I LOVE the USB port...
Old 01-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

I admit, I'm not much of an audiophile!

I have loaded 6 or 7 CD's on HDD, and the sound seems Ok, but not great?

I also copied mp3's (most of which I downloaded on-line through Itunes or Wal-Mart, etc) from my PC to a USB stick.

Maybe they sound a bit better?

I really like the ability to search on the HDD files, so loading the CD's is a nice option. I really don't want to mess with an Ipod.

What's the best way to get the best sound from my original store-bought CD's? (instructions, please!)

And, is there a better way to put my mp3's on the stick other than drag and drop?

I saw an earlier poster say he burned from Itunes (including CD text) to a CD-RW and then loaded them onto HDD?
I tried that and it makes the albums, and of course makes searching easier!

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I have to admit that the single CD player was a surprise to me, too.

I guess they think we all have iPod. I guess we do. :-)

Playing audio from the iPhone or iPod seems to sound the best. The ripped CD playing from the HDD doesn't sound quite as good (to me), but it's entirely serviceable and I use the HDD all the time.

Playing audio from the iPhone using Bluetooth sounds very good. The problem there is that you have to use the phone's iPod menu system, since the Nav screen won't show it.
how did you play audio with iphone via bluetooth? i just checked acura.com/handsfreelink and it says this feature is not compatible. advice appreciated.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
all changers fail over time. I admit I do the llike the low fi HD either. Using an Ipod you can have endless music, and the lossless stuff from itunes sounds great! I guess you just cant have it all.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joenapp
how did you play audio with iphone via bluetooth? i just checked acura.com/handsfreelink and it says this feature is not compatible. advice appreciated.
FWIW the Acura HFL website claims that my phone, BB Storm 9530 Verizon is not compatible with the following..
Call Waiting
Phone book import
Blue tooth Audio.

Funny thing I was/am able to import my phone book and I am also able to listen to my music using blue tooth audio... I have not had the opportunity to test the call waiting but for right now, two out of three on incompatible features working is just fine by me.

The best thing to do is to take your phone and experiment like I did and you may be pleasantly surprised.

BTW, at first I could not get the phone book and blue tooth music to work when paired. On the BB's, well at least the Storm, you are able to "listen" or "search" for the HFL. When I told the phone to "search" instead of "listen" magically the phone book import and blue tooth music just started working and have ever since without skipping a beat (pun intended)

This also worked, using "search" for pairing in the 08 MDX for importing the phone book.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Intermediate

Ripped lossless onto an iPod sounds best to me.

My first purchase after the car was a 160GB iPod classic. It sounds great, integrates seamlessly with the navi, and is more music than I will listen to in my car in ten years. GraceNote works better on the iPod, too.

I started out using the HDD, but I agree that the iPod sounds better. The HDD isn't terrible, though, and is very convenient.

Now to track down some DVD-A's and I will be set.