New TL uses old map set, why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 03:21 PM
niv
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TL uses old map set, why?

I bought a 2010 TL in June. found out the map set wasn't "the latest" when I was approaching a MAJOR shopping center that's been around for 3 years from the opposite direction that I usually come in from so I wanted to use the Nav system to find the best exit to get off at. The Nav system didn't know it existed. Seemed a little strange. Found out that my car was manufactured in November and there's been a updated DVD issued since then. The dealer got me the updated DVD. I was expecting a 2 hour map update session when I did the install. It took 10 minutes, didn't even ask me for the serial number, it just passed by the map update and updated the application from 1.90 to 1.91. Still doesn't know the existence of the MAJOR shopping center (in Phoenix, not a back water town). How do I know it should? We picked up an RDX last week for my wife. This one was right off the truck, we had to wait on it because they had the color we were interested in coming in. On the Nav system there it is in all it's glory, the MAJOR shopping center. today, at the dealership we looked at a TL just off the truck. The app is now up to 1.92 with the same lack of the MAJOR shopping center as mine. What is the deal Acura? Why does every model have a different map set? Why is the TL using such an old map set? When was the last time the map set was updated in the TL? Why does the RDX have a more current map set? I'd say all the POI's on a 2010 TL are very much out dated.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:16 PM
9th Gear

I have a new TL and my maps are all screwed. Twice I have trusted it to bring me to a chili's and a olive garden both times it has failed me. It seemed as if at one time there was a chili's there, but for the olive garden it seemed as if it had been gone for a long time. There was a hospital in its place.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
New Maps are now out! Version 2.00.7.90

Originally Posted by niv
I bought a 2010 TL in June. found out the map set wasn't "the latest" when I was approaching a MAJOR shopping center that's been around for 3 years from the opposite direction that I usually come in from so I wanted to use the Nav system to find the best exit to get off at. The Nav system didn't know it existed. Seemed a little strange. Found out that my car was manufactured in November and there's been a updated DVD issued since then. The dealer got me the updated DVD. I was expecting a 2 hour map update session when I did the install. It took 10 minutes, didn't even ask me for the serial number, it just passed by the map update and updated the application from 1.90 to 1.91. Still doesn't know the existence of the MAJOR shopping center (in Phoenix, not a back water town). How do I know it should? We picked up an RDX last week for my wife. This one was right off the truck, we had to wait on it because they had the color we were interested in coming in. On the Nav system there it is in all it's glory, the MAJOR shopping center. today, at the dealership we looked at a TL just off the truck. The app is now up to 1.92 with the same lack of the MAJOR shopping center as mine. What is the deal Acura? Why does every model have a different map set? Why is the TL using such an old map set? When was the last time the map set was updated in the TL? Why does the RDX have a more current map set? I'd say all the POI's on a 2010 TL are very much out dated.
I just got a mailer today from Acura for my wifes TSX on new software. I went on line to check and Acura, For The First Time has a new upgrade for the 2010 TL. Version 2.00.7.90. Like you, some restaurants that have been around for 10 years were missing on my 2010 TL, but present on my wifes 2009 TSX? Apparently the company that does this info-base for Acura also does it for other major car manufacturers. I think it is the Hard Drive vs DVD data base. As if they did not want to fill up the hard drive to much with a massive data base? In any case $185 gets you the disk... ANYONE going for the upgrade right now??
Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Don't get me started on the RDXvsTL NAV rants. It is a piece of shit.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what does this new upgrade give us?I have only had my car for 5 months its a 2010 but there is already a update.do we really have to pay 185 dollars for this so early?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I think so!

Originally Posted by silver01cltypes
what does this new upgrade give us?I have only had my car for 5 months its a 2010 but there is already a update.do we really have to pay 185 dollars for this so early?
These are pre-loaded on the hard drives, so most likely your 2010 has the original data base that came out in 2008! This is the FIRST upgrade for the 2010, as well as the 2009 Nav,, I could be wrong on the 2009?? .... I called Acura and they tell me this upgrade is very significant and solves many COMPLAINTS they received about the TL data base... Only time will tell
Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear

2010 TL Nav

Originally Posted by niv
I just received the letter about the Nav update, whether to update or not. I have a 2010 TL and it makes mistates telling me to make left turns when I sould be making right turns. Your experience will make me think about shelling out $185 for what could be a defective product.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Disclaimer: I don't know any of this for sure, I'm just guessing.

Why do different models use different map sets?
I'd say it's because different models have different feature sets. For example, different resolutions on their displays, different color range, different amounts of on-board memory that allow for more or less data to be loaded into RAM. Also, the systems integrate with the vehicle's systems in different ways and it's possible the map updates include more than just map data, but also possible fixes with other parts of the technology packages.

Why does one model get an update and another not?
Timing. It's just when an update is completed and ready for distribution and what Acura's cycle for distributing those updates to vehicles off the line. Maybe that RDX was made at a time when an update was recently completed and being loaded into new vehicles, but no update was available for the TL at a similar time in its production. It could also be a policy of only updating with major versions and letting the end user handle minor versions. *shrug*

Why does the nav information lack any data on a major point of interest?
In my experience with these nav systems, some areas get more attention than others. With the navigation system in my CL (DVD-based) there was a listing of regions/cities/towns that had coverage and to what level of coverage they had. My area (DC Metro) is very well covered. Other areas I drove to on road trips lacked just about all coverage except maybe the major road going through town. Other than that, it could just be a matter of when the development group or the map provider gets around to integrating the data for a particular area for that particular model.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^wow great answers. You should be posting here more often. AZ needs you.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
niv
8th Gear

OK, the 2011 map update is worthless for the Phoenix region. Just installed it. Still does not have the now 5 year old shopping center that is on my wife's 2010 RDX. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the TL higher up the food chain then the RDX? As far as map sets go every GPS system basically get's it mapping data from just a couple of sources. It's how they repackage it is the difference. Now so sure why a 2010 RDX has a more up to date map set then the 2010 TL. Must be a Japanese thing. Good news is there is a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Do you think I'm satisfied? I will be calling them tomorrow. Then I need to take it to a dealership to get this worthless update stripped off and replaced with the original worthless map set. I'm sure some areas of the country were updated but that doesn't do me any good. I drive in Phoenix. No Phoenix update, no $185 from me. What's Acura's tag line . . . "Advance" Hummmm