Navi and lighting and USB questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:58 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi and lighting and USB questions?

I have been trying to figure out the correct setting for my 09 TL Tech lighting. In the past, when I turned on the headlights the Navi screen would go to night mode and darken on other Acura's I have owned. Now when I turn on the headlights with the TL the screen will stay in daylight mode. I have tried changing the headlight setting through the MID, I do not have the dimmer set at MAX, and I have reviewed the manual several times to try to figure out what I am doing wrong. When it rains I am required to turn on my headlights so I would expect that the Navi would go to night mode when I turn on the headlights? The only way I have found to override this is the day / night switch on the NAVI.

On other Acura's / Honda's you can select the amount of overall vocal direction from the NAVI. I don't see this option on the TL? I know that you change the amount of feedback from the navi as far as when you select something with in the navi but I am not sure where to change the amount of overal vocal direction when being guided to your destination?

And my last question is what is the maximum size USB flash drive you can use in the TL?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 16gb drive and it works great. I just ordered a USB powered external i am going to test next week.

And yes my screen is doing almost the same.. lights come on but screen is on day.. if i turn off lights and back on it changes to night mode..

Also my headlights are not very sensitive. It has to be really dark for them to auto on compared to my BMW
Old 08-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by john94si
I have a 16gb drive and it works great. I just ordered a USB powered external i am going to test next week.

And yes my screen is doing almost the same.. lights come on but screen is on day.. if i turn off lights and back on it changes to night mode..

Also my headlights are not very sensitive. It has to be really dark for them to auto on compared to my BMW
You can adjust the sensitivity on how dark it has to be before the headlights turn on automatically. When you go into the MID and select keyless memory settings, then select lighting setup. The different levels are under Auto Light Sensitivity.

Auto Light Sensitivity The headlights automatically come on when the headlight switch is in the AUTO position and the ambient light reaches a changeable level. You can select the auto light sensitivity from the following five levels:
MAX - The headlights come on when it is bright.
HIGH - The headlights come on when it is somewhat bright.
MID - The headlights come on when it is as bright as sunset or sunrise.
LOW - The headlights come on when it is somewhat dark.
MIN - The headlights come on when it is dark.

Last edited by StuartMMVITL; 08-10-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by msmith56
I have been trying to figure out the correct setting for my 09 TL Tech lighting. In the past, when I turned on the headlights the Navi screen would go to night mode and darken on other Acura's I have owned. Now when I turn on the headlights with the TL the screen will stay in daylight mode. I have tried changing the headlight setting through the MID, I do not have the dimmer set at MAX, and I have reviewed the manual several times to try to figure out what I am doing wrong. When it rains I am required to turn on my headlights so I would expect that the Navi would go to night mode when I turn on the headlights? The only way I have found to override this is the day / night switch on the NAVI.
I know if you turn your headlights on during the day, the sunlight sensor will override the night display mode on the navi screen. That may be what's happening if it's light enough outside.

I read over page 115 in the navigation manual as it lists the different conditions that will trigger either day or night mode for the navi screen and the display mode button will override all of the day/night settings until the next time the car is started.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by StuartMMVITL
I know if you turn your headlights on during the day, the sunlight sensor will override the night display mode on the navi screen. That may be what's happening if it's light enough outside.

I read over page 115 in the navigation manual as it lists the different conditions that will trigger either day or night mode for the navi screen and the display mode button will override all of the day/night settings until the next time the car is started.
I think that is what may be happening but I was hoping that I could make a change in the MID to have it change when the headlights are turned on from auto to on. If I just need to turn the headlights off and then back on again that works for me. I just didn't know if there was something I missed while readling the manual and it's really not a big deal to me to have to press the button to get it to go into night mode.

Has anyone figured out the other question I had about the level of guidance to your destination? I find that when I am on the interstate the navi will frequently say "stay on (road name)" while enroute to your destination. I was able to change the level of guidance on other Honda / Acura vehicles so this was sigificantly reduced.

And the last question I had was what is the largest size flash drive you can use? I am looking at a 32 GB and I just want to make sure it will work before I buy it.

Thanks for the information.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regardless of how the day/night switchover happens automatically, I definitely would prefer it based on the ambient light levels than on whether I manually switch the headlights on or not. It was a serious PITA on my CL to have to manually bump the navi into day mode whenever I turned my headlights on due to daytime rain. I haven't had that problem with the TL, so however it's set up seems right to me.

Some people have said their 32GB flash drives work, but I haven't personally been able to get anything larger than 16GB to work, though I've only tried hard drives larger than 16GB, not flash drives. Right now I'm using a 16GB flash drive and it generally seems fine outside of a few niggling annoyances.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Crap so an external USB powered HD wont work?
Was it FAT32?
I know NTFS wont work
Old 08-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to format the external USB powered hard drive to < 16GB (FAT32) for it to work. The problem I had with it is that, being an external low-powered device, it would spin down if not used for some period of time. So if I turned on the car and listened to the radio for ten minutes and then decided to switch over to USB, I would have to unplug and replug the hard drive... which is very difficult to do unless I was stopped at a traffic light.

I also tried my 30GB hard drive-based media player, which wouldn't work at all.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 AM
8th Gear

I changed the MID to high and it seems to have helped the situation a great deal. This morning it was raining and the navi remained in night mode the whole way through my commute. The headlights were on auto and it was somewhat dark which is what I was looking for it to do.