Nav Traffic & Weather "Expired" Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008 | 03:23 PM
Intermediate

Nav Traffic & Weather "Expired" Problem

I have to call XM nearly every day to get them to re-send my traffic and weather signal. After about 24 hours I go into the status screen and it says my XM is Receiving, Traffic and Weather are Expired.
Is anybody else having this problem?
Old 12-17-2008 | 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

No. Did you have an account with XM prior to your new purchase? I did, and specifically called ahead to smooth over the switched accounts. They still messed up on the paper work, but I've had no interruption of service yet. Getting the XM radio ID was fun too! I had no idea on how to get to channel zero?
Old 12-17-2008 | 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmode
No. Did you have an account with XM prior to your new purchase? I did, and specifically called ahead to smooth over the switched accounts. They still messed up on the paper work, but I've had no interruption of service yet. Getting the XM radio ID was fun too! I had no idea on how to get to channel zero?
I have an account and still have XM in my MDX. I called and told them so when the trial period is up it is supposed to roll over onto my dime.
Old 12-17-2008 | 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well there's your issue then, it's administrative and not hardware. Relying on people to make appropriate adjustments to our needs is a lost cause. Just like XM messing up my registration and switch over. It usually takes a second call, and being pleasantly hostile works too, in fact it's the only way to get something done these days.
Old 12-17-2008 | 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

xm cust service is the worst. I called to terminate service to the car I traded in. Then my weather and traffic was gone on the new car. I called xm back - they said you have to pay for that. I told them no - free w/ car for 90 days. Then they told me 30min you will have it back. Finally after about 6 phone calls and as many hours it was back. So I bet this happened to you - transfer service - you will most likely lose the traf/weather free trail. I cant wait until my 1st bill as that is usually a fight. example the csr will give you the $77 rate - but you get billed for more or have to fight for c card refund

I don't think we will be able to get them to lower the going rate for traf/weather after the free trail expires (think its about $4 each - traffic , weather)

- but I have always got them to match the old $77 rate - just tell em 'fine I want to cancel' and then they all of a sudden can do the $77 rate (that's radio only)
Old 12-17-2008 | 06:56 PM
Yea, It's Me!

You guys are really making me excited about the XM experience when I try to keep going after the trial period! I bought my car during an open house and there was an XM Rep in the showroom that gave me a quote of $8XM +$4Traffic +$4Weather = $16. A really good deal, I thought. I received a yellow card with the rates after the free trial. $22 mo/ for all options. Not what I was quoted. Called XM and was told that dealers work deals at the local level. They could not help me. I went by the Acura dealer to get contact information on the XM guy. No one at the dealership could get me the information. Today, I received another XM offer $17/mo but no option of weather included. WTF? Anyone else have a similar issue? If so, did you get it resolved?
I am going to compound the issue after Christmas because I bought my wife a XM radio for the 4Runner and a doc for the house and will need to activate both about the same time. I can tell this is going to be a cluster.
Old 12-17-2008 | 08:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PGSberg
You guys are really making me excited about the XM experience when I try to keep going after the trial period! I can tell this is going to be a cluster.
Here is the link from the 3G sticky on how to get the $77 xm deal (radio)
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/renew-xm-radio-%2477-12-months-part-5-a-633759/
Old 12-17-2008 | 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry about that PGSberg. But it's unfortunately a sad day for XM radio and Sirius members. Prior XM listeners don't want Sirius, and Sirius users don't want XM, what a move they made!!! The merger ruined my experience as they stopped broadcasting 3 of my favorite channels, which is all I listened to since 2004. The quality has dropped as well as it's really noticeable on the home computer system.

If someone on this forum can honestly tell me that they listen to the "show tunes" or "broadway" channel, I'll keep my XM subscription. Turning to it for one or two songs just to make fun of it doesn't count either!
Old 12-17-2008 | 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

With iPod / USB connectors, radio on your iPhone - xm/sirius will have fewer customers

what would be worse is if they do go under -we lose a large part of our tech package - no more traffic/weather integrated into our nav - just a static map
Old 12-17-2008 | 11:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

There are a lot of subscribers, I don't see why they'd go under now that they got rid of the competition, each other! Unless some money grubbing financial putz played around with the company money or invested with Bernie Madoff. "COL" I gotta try to stream Pandora from my iPhone to the TL, I'm curious if that will work abroad as Pandora really needs a Wi-Fi for a smooth listening experience. At least I could do it from the garage? Damn, now I'm reaching...
Old 12-18-2008 | 05:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

There are a lot of subscribers, I don't see why they'd go under now that they got rid of the competition, each other! Unless some money grubbing financial putz played around with the company money or invested with Bernie Madoff. "COL" I gotta try to stream Pandora from my iPhone to the TL, I'm curious if that will work abroad as Pandora really needs a Wi-Fi for a smooth listening experience. At least I could do it from the garage? Damn, now I'm reaching...
this is from today's news:

Sirius ending 2008 with 22 percent less staff
By The Associated Press – 3 hours ago
Sirius XM Radio Inc. said Thursday it will have trimmed 22 percent of its work force by year-end, as the satellite radio provider moves to slash costs in order to stay on track and post its first-ever adjusted profit next year, even amid slumping car sales.
The New York-based company will have cut 458 people from its staff, going down to 1,600 people from the 2,058 it employed before its July acquisition of XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. Sirius Chief Executive Mel Karmazin made the announcement at its annual shareholders meeting, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Karmazin noted that November car sales fell 37 percent, the weakest results in nearly three decades. Sirius sells its service through cars pre-installed with its radios and individual subscriptions.
Sirius expects the job cuts and other cost-reduction measures to save $425 million next year. The company also forecast a smaller-than-expected adjusted loss before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization of $200 million this year, down from $300 million as previously expected.
For the fourth quarter, Sirius expects to post an adjusted loss of $32 million, a vast improvement over the $224 million loss it recorded in the year-ago period.
For 2009, Sirius reaffirmed its expectation for adjusted profit of $300 million. But its number of subscribers is forecast to rise to just 20.6 million — below the 21.5 million that Sirius forecast in September, before the Detroit automakers asked Congress for emergency loans.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters are forecasting a 2009 loss of 15 cents per share.
Sirius also reaffirmed revenue forecasts of $2.4 billion this year and $2.7 billion in 2009. Analysts' expectations are more cautious for this year, forecasting $2.2 billion in revenue, but are in line with management's prospects for 2009.
The company said $995 million of debt is due next year. It is holding talks with debt holders as well as new investors in an effort to ease its repayment schedule.
In October, Sirius exchanged $30.5 million of debt held by institutions for 67 million common shares — equaling 45 cents for each share received by debt holders. On Thursday afternoon, Sirius shares traded up a penny at 14 cents, well off the $3.89 they traded at a year ago. Amid the downturn in global markets, Sirius shares have lost nearly all of their value.
But the company wants to execute a reverse stock split to boost its stock price, a proposal shareholders approved at the annual meeting on Thursday. Sirius said its shares must trade at $1 or higher to continue listing on the Nasdaq.
(This version CORRECTS that Sirius expects to post an adjusted loss, not profit, in the fourth quarter.)

Steve TLS - any luck w/ your problem?
Old 12-18-2008 | 10:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well this is pretty much expected as everyone's numbers are down across the board. My brutal thought is that I don't care about the company, just the service I'm paying for, which sadly sums up the American way of life. I used to care and think differently, but now F everything, I'm out for mine... Being a nice guy doesn't count for sh**, I've wasted 10 years of my life with this line of thinking, so that's over.

By the way, there was an article last year in CE Pro, about the owner of Sirius radio. If you saw his East coast house you wouldn't care about the profits either, his place was sick! These money hungry corporations can just kiss my arse! So what if they go under, there'll be something else to take it's place. Like Pandora which is free right now.
Old 12-22-2008 | 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well this is pretty much expected as everyone's numbers are down across the board. My brutal thought is that I don't care about the company, just the service I'm paying for, which sadly sums up the American way of life. I used to care and think differently, but now F everything, I'm out for mine... Being a nice guy doesn't count for sh**, I've wasted 10 years of my life with this line of thinking, so that's over.

By the way, there was an article last year in CE Pro, about the owner of Sirius radio. If you saw his East coast house you wouldn't care about the profits either, his place was sick! These money hungry corporations can just kiss my arse! So what if they go under, there'll be something else to take it's place. Like Pandora which is free right now.
but no one else will do the nav/weather in your TL

this is from another part of acurazine:

"XM Radio, BEWARE

While I have enjoyed my $77 year, I canceled for good, effective next billing cycle, 25 December 2008. Phone went to some Slavic woman, presumably in some far off country. More budget cutting. No attempt to retain me, only tried to sell me another radio.

Key issue is stock price and debt load of Sirius_XM. Stock has collapsed from $3.89 to 12 cents/share, in 12 month period!!! Stock low was 8 cents. NASDAQ will de-list them, when value falls below, $1.00/ share, as an added problem.

See: http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/tic...px?Symbol=SIRI

What you will find there is Sirius has 3.5 Billion dollars, of debt. Stern alone has a $500M contract. One billion is due to be paid in 2009. ....$200 million is due in February. Very hard to borrow money, courtesy Wall street. XM closely tied to new car sales for growth. A bad business plan.

So if you pay your $77, it is clearly doubtful they will survive much past February. To pay is, based on HOPE and FAITH for their continued prosperity. The data indicates they will die, just a matter of when.

So I reluctantly cut of my car, and subscription. I can buy some CDs for my very nice changer in my car. XM for all intents and purposes, gone with the wind."

here's the link

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...633759&page=10
Old 12-23-2008 | 01:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Nice post. I hope they at least make it to May when my subscription runs out!
Old 12-23-2008 | 11:32 PM
Intermediate

I am having this exact same problem. It is frustrating, it isn't as though traffic and weather updates are a major part of my life, but when it is supposed to work it is supposed to work. I have had my car for a week now. After I had the account switched from my MDX to my TL is when the problem began. Now, it won't pick up the traffic or weather signals at all, not even briefly. I have had them send out like 5 refresh signals, none of them have worked. I am going to the dealer on Friday and letting them hash it out with XM only because XM acted as though I could dedicate the rest of my life to resolving this issue. Last time I talked to XM they suggested I call the manufacture of the stereo because they didn't have a manual for it. It seems like if you have an exclusive contract with an auto manufacturer you would know something about the stereos in that companies vehicles. Oh well. I will let you know if the dealer has any luck, and if so what may need to be done.
Old 12-24-2008 | 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Acurafiend
I am having this exact same problem. It is frustrating, it isn't as though traffic and weather updates are a major part of my life, but when it is supposed to work it is supposed to work. I have had my car for a week now. After I had the account switched from my MDX to my TL is when the problem began. Now, it won't pick up the traffic or weather signals at all, not even briefly. I have had them send out like 5 refresh signals, none of them have worked. I am going to the dealer on Friday and letting them hash it out with XM only because XM acted as though I could dedicate the rest of my life to resolving this issue. Last time I talked to XM they suggested I call the manufacture of the stereo because they didn't have a manual for it. It seems like if you have an exclusive contract with an auto manufacturer you would know something about the stereos in that companies vehicles. Oh well. I will let you know if the dealer has any luck, and if so what may need to be done.
acurafiend a few posts up u see I had the same problem - frustrating - six phone calls over a Sunday morning- finally I said it worked before you transfered the account - its your prblm to fix it - if you cant - get me your sup. then after a long hold the same csr came back and said it should start to work - and finally all was well -
Old 12-24-2008 | 11:26 AM
10th Gear

If someone on this forum can honestly tell me that they listen to the "show tunes" or "broadway" channel, I'll keep my XM subscription. Turning to it for one or two songs just to make fun of it doesn't count either!
Well, actually, I do listen to Broadway. I am a huge theatre afficionado and simply can't get enough. On a recent trip to London, I saw 11 shows in 7 days. In New York, 6 shows in 4 days. Guess I'm a bit obsessive compulsive with this music genre.
Old 12-27-2008 | 11:25 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Steve TLS
I have to call XM nearly every day to get them to re-send my traffic and weather signal. After about 24 hours I go into the status screen and it says my XM is Receiving, Traffic and Weather are Expired.
Is anybody else having this problem?
When I transferred my account from my 04 to the 09, I had the same problem. If you're confident that XM has updated your account, make sure the TL is parked outside in the open with the radio on, and log on to XM's site and initiate a Refresh on your own (you can do it through the My Account/My Radio(s) section). Give it an hour and see if it has updated. If not then they probably still haven't gotten your account updated correctly.

When they merged my old account with my new account, because I didn't have weather or nav on the 04, somehow the new account's nav/weather 90-day trial got cancelled. After a phone call punctuated with quite a bit of on-hold time, I finally got it fixed. However, their refresh didn't take--I had to do it on my own a few hours later to get it to finally update.
Old 12-27-2008 | 03:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cynalan
Well, actually, I do listen to Broadway. I am a huge theatre afficionado and simply can't get enough. On a recent trip to London, I saw 11 shows in 7 days. In New York, 6 shows in 4 days. Guess I'm a bit obsessive compulsive with this music genre.
That's pretty scary... Nevertheless, in leu of the new information provided by CRXB, XM/Sirius is on the downfall, plus I still want my channels back that they took away in this messed up merger.
Old 12-27-2008 | 06:50 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope I didn't press the envelope on XM this morning. My 3-month free trial is up on the 11th of January. I bought my wife an XM for our 4Runner and a doc for the house. Since she is driving to Indiana on Monday to visit the outlaws, I had to activate the account today rather than wait until the 11th which would make the possibility of a cluster more probable. I installed the unit and FM Modulator in the 4Runner dash and set up the home doc.

I called XM and set up the (Acura) account for Radio/Traffic/Weather to carry over after Jan 11th . Then I threw in the other radio for $6.99 month. Everything worked fine until she tried to get her computer to accept the second radio. It wouldn’t go at the discounted rate because the Acura’s XM has not gone active (Paid). She re-did the account to make the second XM the primary and the Acura XM the secondary. All worked out.

I used the Acura this evening and all three (radio/weather/traffic) still worked. I activated the other unit and it works in the 4Runner and the house doc. All is good – for now.

The question I have for you XM experts out there has to do with the second unit. Since I have to switch the factory radio to an unused local FM station for the XM receiver to work in sync with, will my wife have to continually search for stations and re-sync on her trip from Northern Virginia to Indiana? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2008 | 01:33 PM
Racer

OMGGG I can't believe this problem is this widespread. I'm suffering from the same nonsense. Here's my story:

We had 3 Sirius radios (me, my dad, and my brother). All 3 of us got new cars at the same time, all with XM. Here's where the situation got too complex for XM: I wanted Best of Sirius (I'm a Howard junkie lol) added to my trial of Traffic and Weather. After the trial, it would just be XM with Best of Sirius. My brother left his alone, and wanted to keep Traffic after the trial. My dad just wanted XM.
So I called to have them add Best of Sirius (it took over an hour on the phone), and they took off the Weather and Traffic, leaving me with just XM and Best of Sirius, and my brother with just XM. So I called back the next day, and after another hour on the phone, I had nothing but XM (even though the Traffic and Weather were only 2 days old and still on trial). So I called back the next day and got it with Sirius and Traffic, but no weather. I called back AGAIN and their systems were down, killing the call in the process. I called back AGAIN and got a manager on the phone, and she refreshed the signal and it worked. Until the next day, when my radio updated, and left me with traffic and weather, but no Sirius, which is exactly where I started lol.
All this, and I didn't even detail my brother's issues, because at the same time I was doing all this on the phone with them over a 3 day period (and about 6 hours on the phone, and leaving my car running to get the signal for a total of about 4 hours), he was going through the same nonsense as me over at his house.

Is it any wonder why they're going out of business? People must be cancelling left and right! It's utterly ridiculous.