Moto X & Acura HandsFreeLink

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Moto X & Acura HandsFreeLink

I'm looking to pick up a 2014 Acura TL-SWD Advance in the next week or so. I checked on Acura's HandsFreeLink site to see if the Moto X is supported, and it's not in the dropdown under Verizon -> Motorola. I've been to two different dealers for a test-drive, and each time forgot to check if my Moto X can sync up... derp.

http://www.acura.com/HandsFreeLink.aspx

Anybody with a Moto X on here? Just want to make sure Bluetooth music streaming and hands-free calling works fine.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Touge Chaser

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Great question, I'm considering switching my Iphone for a MotoX (or other Andriod based phone) and would like to know if the bluetooth data protocol on the Moto X can work with Acura Link.

Question for the OP: What are your thoughts on your Moto X compared to other phones you have used??
Old 03-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DefMunkie
Great question, I'm considering switching my Iphone for a MotoX (or other Andriod based phone) and would like to know if the bluetooth data protocol on the Moto X can work with Acura Link.

Question for the OP: What are your thoughts on your Moto X compared to other phones you have used??
It's a great phone. I ordered it on the Motomaker web app for Verizon on a Saturday, and it reached my door 3 days later. I upgraded from an iPhone 4s because I got a chance to snag a Google Glass back in November and at the time, Google hadn't yet built a dedicated iOS app for Glass.

It has decent battery life, comparable to the iPhone. It runs stock Android, currently 4.4.2, all updates OTA. I'm consistently surprised at the responsiveness and speed of the apps. It runs stock Android from the factory, no Touchwiz or MotoBlur or any of that B.S. Display is nice and crisp. The Active Notifications are really novel; I'm able to check SMS and Google hangout msgs without unlocking it or turning the display (all the way) on. I live, play, and work in Baltimore, DC, and in-between, which is basically Verizon country, so I get 4G pretty much everywhere around here. The camera shake shortcut is pretty cool too, but I usually take quick pics with Glass .

I'm 99% sure it'll work just fine with the system in the TL, but I want to be sure - a $200 set of bluetooth speakers is easier to return than a $40K car. Luckily an office-mate just picked up a TL SH-AWD Tech so I'm gonna bug him to see if I can test it. I'll post the results here.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Touge Chaser

I know the HFL will work. However Acura link will probably require a tethering package add on to my data package. Honestly Acura Link (at least on my 2010) is only good for sending Acura diagnostics of my car and scheduling service appointments, not worth the extra cost of tethering. The weather and traffic features in the NAV can only work with the added XM packages. So it really isn't that important to me, however the ability to stream music and read text messages through bluetooth is where I'm hoping it will work better than my 4 year old Iphone 4.

Heck my E90 communicator with OVI works better than IOS in the bluetooth department.

I know the newer model Acura's with the updated Acura link package might have more to offer, I saw the APP they have and it has more functionality for the newer models. Honestly I would still purchase the 2014 TLSH-AWD regardless of what tech works with it...It's just a great sedan that offers me a smile while a drive and a comfortable commute when compared to other competitors at higher price points.

I've never owned an Android based phone...After playing around with several Android phones (Galaxy S4, HTC One, LG Flex, etc) last night, I ordered a MotoX from AT&T since it was being offered for free and worked smoother, quicker, and more intuitive than the other more powerful phones on the market today. The size was also a key factor, assembled here in Texas and the fact that my Motorola Timeport and Razr still work also helped seal the deal. I'm just ready for something new and the IOS environment isn't doing it for me.

BTW what does "all updates OTA" mean?? That is what has been confusing me about the Androids all the added manufacturer features and cool names for the OS like Kit Kat, Honeycomb and Jelly bean.

As long as Motorola and their new partners Lenova continue to offer support I'm hoping for a good user experience for the life of the phone.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DefMunkie
I know the HFL will work. However Acura link will probably require a tethering package add on to my data package. Honestly Acura Link (at least on my 2010) is only good for sending Acura diagnostics of my car and scheduling service appointments, not worth the extra cost of tethering. The weather and traffic features in the NAV can only work with the added XM packages. So it really isn't that important to me, however the ability to stream music and read text messages through bluetooth is where I'm hoping it will work better than my 4 year old Iphone 4.

Heck my E90 communicator with OVI works better than IOS in the bluetooth department.

I know the newer model Acura's with the updated Acura link package might have more to offer, I saw the APP they have and it has more functionality for the newer models. Honestly I would still purchase the 2014 TLSH-AWD regardless of what tech works with it...It's just a great sedan that offers me a smile while a drive and a comfortable commute when compared to other competitors at higher price points.

I've never owned an Android based phone...After playing around with several Android phones (Galaxy S4, HTC One, LG Flex, etc) last night, I ordered a MotoX from AT&T since it was being offered for free and worked smoother, quicker, and more intuitive than the other more powerful phones on the market today. The size was also a key factor, assembled here in Texas and the fact that my Motorola Timeport and Razr still work also helped seal the deal. I'm just ready for something new and the IOS environment isn't doing it for me.

BTW what does "all updates OTA" mean?? That is what has been confusing me about the Androids all the added manufacturer features and cool names for the OS like Kit Kat, Honeycomb and Jelly bean.

As long as Motorola and their new partners Lenova continue to offer support I'm hoping for a good user experience for the life of the phone.
OTA - over the air. Whenever there's an Android OS update I can either get it over 4G or WiFi. Disclaimer: I'm 31 and still on my parents' Verizon plan because they still have the grandfathered-in "true unlimited data" plan. I did over 6GB worth of data in December and hit no caps or throttling. So I usually do it over 4G, which is just about as fast as WiFi over FiOS at my place.

I prefer to use version numbers instead of the Twitterific candy names they come up. I'm at 4.4.2, whichever that is, and I got the update right after I heard about it on /.

I actually had a T-mobile G1 years ago, the first Android phone available, I think. Looking back all the Android phones I had (G1, Droid, Droid X) before an iPhone 4s were POSs, but Android 4.* has taken a huge step forward in usability, IMO, and the hardware has just gotten better and better.
The following users liked this post:
DefMunkie (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Touge Chaser

Ah ok, I'm grandfathered in with AT&T with unlimited 3g for Iphone and also have a company discount. When I ordered my MotoX they offered me unlimited 4g LTE with Unlimited messaging for the same price as my unlimited 3g Iphone package.

Thanks for the information, I'm going to try to find an app that will enable me to tether without paying the extra associated charges... Will be great to test out the Acura link and other hotspot applications.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Touge Chaser

Just an Update:
HFL works
Acura Link needs tethering and is absolutely worthless on 2010

I can't play music or any other sounds either through the usb cable or bluetooth.
USB cable won't charge when plugged into the USB adapter.
My MotoX recognizes the the system and goes into media storage mode (good) but the TL sound system doesn't support this player.

Great Phone! Great car! They either don't work together or I haven't figured out how to get them to play nicely. I have a car charger and regular audio cable to get me by.

Is there an update to the Nav/ELS system to match newer model phones and MP3 players?

I might swing by the dealership and test it out on one of the 2014's or 2013's they have on the lot.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:22 PM
Touge Chaser

Got the Bluetooth audio working now, when the driver assist is activated it will read incoming texts and allow me to use speech2text through the Bluetooth system, also I can route music or any sounds coming from the phone to the car!

Everything but the USB charging has been sorted