I think Acura should provide map update for free!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Just bit the bullet for my 09, $200 with tax, but they gave a "special" free 2 day shipping...that was really special

Update took ~2.5 hours, already seen some differences when trying to search by place name, found the restaurant I went to the other night, when the stock maps couldnt find it. (doesnt do me much good now) ...$200 totally isnt worth it every year, I'll hold off for every 3 years too, figured my maps were from easily 07, and theres been a lot of recent construction around me so it would help a little. $100 would have been a ton more reasonable.

Originally Posted by IrishTR
A pass code is required when applying the update. Supposedly its based off your VIN and Radio ID. But for some reason I get the feeling that its more scare tactic from NAVTEQ. I do not believe each individual disc is printed for each car/radio, rather than a matrix database of numbers that as long as one is entered correctly it would work.
The discs themselves arent any different than buying PC software, the key's are math based, so each disc isnt unique, but the combo of radio ID/vin+their formula generates a key code that the disc will recognize, just like a windows activation code.

Last edited by PaulNY; 12-11-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyalBlue09
The discs themselves arent any different than buying PC software, the key's are math based, so each disc isnt unique, but the combo of radio ID/vin+their formula generates a key code that the disc will recognize, just like a windows activation code.
Ah yea forgot about that thought... Algorithm based calculation in sense of NAVTEQ uses known list of radio ID and VINs to generate key database list encoded to the disc then when presented with the challenge question(radio id and vin) it must equal the predetermined response from the database list.

Damn now if only software hackers that do this for PC software and create key generators, would crack this code and do the same lol as I simply do not see these upgrades worth $200+ when other systems (handheld/other auto NAV systems) offer for free or much less. I could live with $50-100 range... but anything over that is just plain re-TARDed...
Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just paid for a new dvd today.. im not rich.. sure I can use my phone.. but the car has a navi built in for a reason.. as for maintenance I do it myself.. it should not determine how much im willing to spend..

85 dollars for a oil change at the dealer with cheap castrol oil or 35 dollars for full synthetic mobil 1. I guess if you make 200 bucks an hr or dont have time its ok.. but I dont.. and even if I did I can waste 20 minutes.. I just wont sit in the toilet an extra 10 seconds a day. until the next service to do it myself..
Old 12-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All;

Interesting post. I have a 2010 sh-awd non-tech. I bought the newest Garmin nuvi 3970 and for reference purposes the maps cost $65 per year to upgrade. However you can get a lifetime upgrade package for $105.00 which allows you to upgrade 4 times per year for as long as they support the unit.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I will be going for the upgrade!

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
^
SAVE YOUR MONEY
My 2010 TL data base is probably 3 years old. My wife 2009 TSX has more updated information then mine. I was at the dealer today and asked to check a few locations, restaurants, which mine was missing. So we went out to the showroom to see a 2011. I tried 3 locations that were NOT in my data base for restaurants, and all three locations were in fact present in the 2011. I was told that this update fixed a LOT of complaints from many different car models, not just the TL. So I will order my $189 upgrade tonight and hope to report back first of the year. Remember, besides road updates, it also updated the places data base as well plus enhanced mapping for Car Pool lanes which San Diego has a lot of new roads in the last 3 years.... I am OK with the $189, have you seen Gas Prices Lately!

Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Intermediate

Just got my new TL with Tech package yesterday. Bought a 2010 model for the incentives.

I love the car, but I'm disappointed with two things that have been widely discussed here (I guess I didn't pay attention before) - the map seems to be outdated, and the ipod interface is difficult to search with a large collection.

I was told by the salesman that the car came with the latest map (which I sort of took with a grain of salt), but I was surprised to see the Indianapolis Airport at its old location (2 years ago). Now I'm in that ridiculous state where you have a brand new car and love it, but this is bothering me so I'm actually considering paying $185 just to update the map ONE year. Okay, I'm not really going to do that, but it's bugging me.

Even if they can't update the map for free, $185 with today's GPS prices is too much. And to buy a brand new car with a $3500 technology package and drive off with an outdated map is pretty disappointing. But I'm trying to focus on the positives. It really is a beautiful car.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Racer

Hard Drive Pre-Loaded

Originally Posted by Rio Rebel
Just got my new TL with Tech package yesterday. Bought a 2010 model for the incentives.

I love the car, but I'm disappointed with two things that have been widely discussed here (I guess I didn't pay attention before) - the map seems to be outdated, and the ipod interface is difficult to search with a large collection.

I was told by the salesman that the car came with the latest map (which I sort of took with a grain of salt), but I was surprised to see the Indianapolis Airport at its old location (2 years ago). Now I'm in that ridiculous state where you have a brand new car and love it, but this is bothering me so I'm actually considering paying $185 just to update the map ONE year. Kay, I'm not really going to do that, but it's bugging me.

Even if they can't update the map for free, $185 with today's GPS prices is too much. And to buy a brand new car with a $3500 technology package and drive off with an outdated map is pretty disappointing. But I'm trying to focus on the positives. It really is a beautiful car.
The Hard Drives come pre-loaded before they even put it in the car during manufacturing, saves time. I would print out mu comments, take it to your dealer, and show him that your 2010 does not have the latest software and feel the DEALER should get this for your car!!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:56 AM
is in Honda heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bc0203
Perhaps in some future generation of the Tech Package, Acura will come up with a way to Internet-enable the Tech Package so that it had the audio streaming, navigation and location based features of a smartphone (e.g., say, by embedding Google Navigation and other Android Apps in-dash); in this scenario, you wouldn't pay for services directly, because they'd be provided by your wireless provider - but you would pay for them as part of your monthly cell bill, so they still wouldn't be really be free, and they'd only be available when you had a wireless connection.

But let's get real: that's not what's built into our cars right now. So for the time being, if you get the $77 annnual XM deal (or have a lifetime XM membership like I do), plus the monthly XM nav traffic subscription and the occasional nav disk update, you get most of the features of the smartphone, plus a few neat tricks a smartphone can't do, like being able to navigate in places where a GPS and/or cell phone signal is not present and being automaticaly re-routed around traffic jams in real time. I consider these cost-of-ownership expenses that work out to less than the price of an additional smart phone on my monthly cell bill, and a reasonable compromise, given the limits of the car's technology.

If you don't want to pay for map updates and you have a smartphone with navigation, then you have a choice: just buy a windshield mount for the phone and don't buy the nav updates. But please, don't get all upset with NAVTEQ because they design navigation software for a limited release, custom system such as Acura's Tech Package and then price the upgrades based on the fact only a limited number of customers within the (smaller, smart phone enabled) user base of 2009-2010 customers will choose to upgrade. They're just trying to make a living like the rest of us.
Perfect explanation
Old 12-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
The Hard Drives come pre-loaded before they even put it in the car during manufacturing, saves time. I would print out mu comments, take it to your dealer, and show him that your 2010 does not have the latest software and feel the DEALER should get this for your car!!
I called my salesman, told him my map was outdated and didn't even include the Indianapolis Airport, and gave him my version number and the version of the new red disk that acura is selling. The dealership manager called me back and told me that they would get me the latest disk, even if the dealership had to pay. Happy ending.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

I bought a 2011 TL with the technology package on 12/30/10. How can I determine if it came with the latest gps software?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockets007
I bought a 2011 TL with the technology package on 12/30/10. How can I determine if it came with the latest gps software?
If I'm not mistaken, all 2011s come with the new navigation software.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lji
If I'm not mistaken, all 2011s come with the new navigation software.
That is what the sales guy told me but I just wanted to verify that it did!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Racer

I called my salesman, told him my map was outdated and didn't even include the Indianapolis Airport, and gave him my version number and the version of the new red disk that acura is selling. The dealership manager called me back and told me that they would get me the latest disk, even if the dealership had to pay. Happy ending.
Way To GO!!! Super!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
RR, it's nice to hear that your dealership took care of you.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Very good to hear. Ed Martin or Hubler Acura?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

Ed Martin.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

I wish someone would have found a way around this update... Even $50 wouldn't be so bad but again the problem is that the maps are so outdated. My maps in my 2010 I purchased in July doesn't know about many of the highways in the area and tries to take me hours out of the way.

When we drove out to a popular vacation area it did not know about ANY roads, ones have have been there for many many years. It was a good thing I had my phone with Google Navigation which is so much better than our cars' navigation but again, not an ideal solution. I deffinately would have been scewed otherwise driving at midnight in the middle of nowhere out to a tourist area.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
10th Gear

One annoying thing about having outdated maps though is that the 2 times when I was trying to use the system to find a gas station in an unfamiliar area, it took me to ones that had closed some time ago.

Then again I've had similar things happen trying to find POI's using google maps on my phone so nothing's perfect.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wow the upgrade cost almost as much as the 5" Garmin 1490LMT with LIFETIME map and traffic on amazon..

I don't necessarily think things like this should be free, but should be included in the price of the vehicle when you purchase it. When I put a destination and the nav doesn't take me there because it's outdated, to me, it feels like something is wrong with the nav. This isn't I can see hondas (you know, those economy cars) needing map updates, but this is ACURA, a "luxury" car company

Paying $200 for map updates everytime I go on a long distance trip, for inconvenience of the nav leading me somewhere that may not even exist anymore, doesn't feel very luxurious to me.

Another thing is, a few days ago, I was looking for a nearby ATM. I searched my bank and located the nearest one. The nav took me into a business park that has been there for at least 8 years!! there was no ATM of any kind in that business park! Will the $200 map update suddenly remove all the outdated items? I don't think so. what a waste of $$, as is the nav system in most luxury cars
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm more upset that you can't resell the map anymore. On my 3G, I always resold my older map for $50 to $100 every year so I could make buying the new one more affordable. With the activation key, they have killed the used market.